Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I agree with all esc

I agree about all except the pixel. The plus and xl are basically the same size. The pixel is no way

im telling you I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon had an always on logo lol

Fair point. iPhone Plus and Pixel XL aren't that different in size thanks to Google's bezels.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Good shout regarding selling it with a screen protector already applied. Would love that.

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
First time i will buy the small one if it's true and they only differ in screen size and battery capacity.

S8, Note 7, S8+

galaxy-s8-vs-galaxy-note-7.jpg

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I will get the Samsung S8, however, I'll wait for at least three or so months and save a few hundred dollars rather than buying the device on the day of its release for the reason you mentioned.

I think it will be more than a 3 month wait before the prices drop.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Price doesn't matter to me as much as long as there is a free trade up option with the S7. The only difference is T-Mobile applying bill credits properly. Anyways, my new S7 comes soon. Not too keen on the Gold color, but it beats holding onto a Nexus 5X or using a Note 5 with subpar battery life.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Here's the S7, Note 7, and S7E.

And below, the earlier picture of the S8, Note 7, S8 Plus.

2VQnAlx.png

The S8 series will definitely be larger than the S7 series. Thankfully they're not much wider, but the S8 regular looks like it'll match up more in size with the S7Edge, and the S8 Plus looks like it'll be taller than the Note 7 (whereas the S7E was shorter).

So yeah, wishful thinking they could keep the sizes respectively, but they don't look like they'll be too much bigger.

Reactions: MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Here's the S7, Note 7, and S7E.

And below, the earlier picture of the S8, Note 7, S8 Plus.

2VQnAlx.png

The S8 series will definitely be larger than the S7 series. Thankfully they're not much wider, but the S8 regular looks like it'll match up more in size with the S7Edge, and the S8 Plus looks like it'll be taller than the Note 7 (whereas the S7E was shorter).

So yeah, wishful thinking they could keep the sizes respectively, but they don't look like they'll be too much bigger.

I love the bezel difference between the S8 and Note 7 lol.

Reactions: epicrayban

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Same here. If I had no issues dealing with the size of the V20, then the S8 Plus size shouldn't be a problem neither.
Was going to hold out for the iphone 8 but the 5.1 usable screen is a big turn off for me. Will see later with the apple keynote but be surprised if that report is wrong.

Reactions: Oohara

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Pretty convinced I will be getting the S8 plus
I'm the same. It's amazing that it's only a tad taller than the note 7.

I've always wanted an even bigger phone than the note. I remember when Samsung used to do the mega. The only thing that stopped me getting it was the mediocre specs (low res screen and processor).
[doublepost=1489005122][/doublepost]
Was going to hold out for the iphone 8 but the 5.1 usable screen is a big turn off for me. Will see later with the apple keynote but be surprised if that report is wrong.
I know that's really put me off. Getting the 8 would be a downgrade for me because of the screen size. Also the phone is not offering anything that I can't get in the S8 + in terms of features. I may get the 7S plus if it's enough of an upgrade.

I've switched from the note series to the S series in the past to get the upgraded tech and I always regreted it because I found the S series too small.
[doublepost=1489005225][/doublepost]
Same here. If I had no issues dealing with the size of the V20, then the S8 Plus size shouldn't be a problem neither.
And whilst the original note was not as big in terms of the screen size it was awkward and cumbersome but I loved it just the same. And I've been dragging the iPhone plus series around since 2014 which is also bulky. The S8+ will be fine.
[doublepost=1489005293][/doublepost]
Nice find! We get a great sense of their sizes when there's something to compare to.

Side note: the note 7 is still a gorgeous device.
The note 7 was perfection.
[doublepost=1489005458][/doublepost]
Colors in Europe to be black, silver, and violet, says a leaker.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-colors-violet_id91783
I wonder what violet looks like. I'll probably get the black for a change. I haven't had a black phone since fbe 6 plus and only got that because I couldn't get it in gold or silver.

Anyhow I think a black bezel will be better because of the new aspect ratio as some of the video content will play with black bars so it will be more seamless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oohara

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Amazing! The S8 size doesn't look bad at all! Just the S7 but taller and actually thinner. Or basically the S7 Edge. I'm really happy to see these dimensions.

I said this of 2016: Samsung has really cornered the market on what I call "ergonomic phablets" -- smartphones that compare in size to smaller devices, but offer phablet size screens. With the S8, they're making this truer than ever.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think it will be more than a 3 month wait before the prices drop.

Samsung drops pretty quickly. Even that first month I usually see at least $50-$100 off the price on used ones on swappa, plus you don't pay tax so that's another $70ish. At 3 months the S7 was closer to $150-200 off, with the occasional super deal that was even lower.

Although IMO it's better to just jump on a carrier deal at release as someone always has a BOGO or deal going on.
[doublepost=1489014356][/doublepost]

Wow, the GS8+ has a sick screen. Still, I'm not really sure I'm feeling it this time around. I find the curved edges a detriment and not a positive to functionality. The fingerprint sensor is in a terrible spot as well. I'm still up in the air, and I guess whatever Apple releases will make the decision for me.
[doublepost=1489014523][/doublepost]

Yeah that's what's scaring me as well. If they do something stupid like put a touch bar there I'll be bummed. It sounds like something Apple would do though. But at the same time if they get the fingerprint sensor on the front it will be better than Samsung putting it on the back, and may be worth the loss of real estate. Plus you never know with Apple, they might actually come out with something useful and we may all love it.

Reactions: JaySoul

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Samsung drops pretty quickly. Even that first month I usually see at least $50-$100 off the price on used ones on swappa, plus you don't pay tax so that's another $70ish. At 3 months the S7 was closer to $150-200 off, with the occasional super deal that was even lower.

Although IMO it's better to just jump on a carrier deal at release as someone always has a BOGO or deal going on.
[doublepost=1489014356][/doublepost]

Wow, the GS8+ has a sick screen. Still, I'm not really sure I'm feeling it this time around. I find the curved edges a detriment and not a positive to functionality. The fingerprint sensor is in a terrible spot as well. I'm still up in the air, and I guess whatever Apple releases will make the decision for me.
[doublepost=1489014523][/doublepost]

Yeah that's what's scaring me as well. If they do something stupid like put a touch bar there I'll be bummed. It sounds like something Apple would do though. But at the same time if they get the fingerprint sensor on the front it will be better than Samsung putting it on the back, and may be worth the loss of real estate. Plus you never know with Apple, they might actually come out with something useful and we may all love it.
If it's 5.1" usable screen in a body the same size as the current iPhone with 4.7" then I do think I'll be going after that model instead of the plus. I've been back and forth so many times, love the size of the regular iPhone but the screen feels cramped at times, 5.1 might be perfect.

As for the S8, really must resist temptation and hold out for the Note 8, I only plan on getting two phones this year and the Note 8 and iPhone X are the ones I have my eye on, but damn that S8 in all black looks nice.

Reactions: spinedoc77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.