Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Silver, gold, and pink are a no-go thanks to the distracting front sensors. Orchid is a wildcard.

I'm leaning black, but I'm kind of interested to see the blue option. If it's a deep, rich blue, I could go for that. And I wonder how the "matt black" and "bright black" will compare.

Last edited:

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I'm not as critical about whole software updates -- this day and age with where Android is, they just aren't vital to me to sacrifice the advantages Samsung offers -- but monthly security updates I do care about. Samsung should be on top of that especially for the unlocked version.

Indeed. I can live with the major versions being somewhat slow (although I reserve the right to complain about that), but not getting security updates on time goes well beyond the dealbreaker barrier. With Samsung's flagship prices, we really shouldn't have to make a single compromise regarding device security. They should simplify the product line so that they could properly support the models they release. May I suggest starting the simplification from the completely unnecessary regional variants?

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...icons-showcased-in-a-series-of-images_id91960

Galaxy S8 user interface and icons showcased in a series of images

intro_homescreenlayout_home_55.png

intro_homescreenlayout_home_apps_55.png

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/...erprint-scanner-to-the-back-of-the-galaxy-s8/

This could be why Samsung moved the fingerprint scanner to the back of the Galaxy S8

It’s unlikely that the Galaxy S8 will be the first smartphone with on-screen fingerprint scanning, says The Investor. It’s believed that Samsung and its touch sensor partner Synaptics were running out of time to develop the technology, and with the production of the handset imminent, the firm was left with no other choice but to move the sensor to the back of the phone.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Silver, gold, and pink are a no-go thanks to the distracting front sensors. Orchid is a wildcard.

I'm leaning black, but I'm kind of interested to see the blue option. If it's a deep, rich blue, I could go for that. And I wonder how the "matt black" and "bright black" will compare.
I think bright black is just another way of saying jet black. I would go for the Matt if it's similar to apple's implementation.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
There's an anti malware, powered by Intel in the device maintenance part of the settings on the S7.

So Lookout is just lousy bloatware? And the Intel powered anti-malware doesn't always scan in the background?
[doublepost=1489430908][/doublepost]http://i.imgur.com/i4dQzS1.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5ytmzu/galaxy_s8_passes_through_3c_the_the_sd_835/

Quick Charge 2.0? Can't be that conservative just because SDI screwed up with compartmentalization and the battery capacity.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It shouldn't look the same though, right? Can glass be matt?
Who knows. The coral blue was nice on the note 7. If the blue is the same I could be tempted but all those sensors ugh.

My iPhone is rose gold so I won't do pink again. However I had the pink gold S7 edge and it was beautiful. Even better than my rose gold iPhone.

It's probably between one of the blacks and the blue if it's the coral blue.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Who knows. The coral blue was nice on the note 7. If the blue is the same I could be tempted but all those sensors ugh.

My iPhone is rose gold so I won't do pink again. However I had the pink gold S7 edge and it was beautiful. Even better than my rose gold iPhone.

It's probably between one of the blacks and the blue if it's the coral blue.

I thought the coral blue was beautiful on the Note 7, too. It does it no justice in photos.

The S7 Edge coral blue was quite a beauty, too, when it was released.
[doublepost=1489436479][/doublepost]
https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/...erprint-scanner-to-the-back-of-the-galaxy-s8/

This could be why Samsung moved the fingerprint scanner to the back of the Galaxy S8

It’s unlikely that the Galaxy S8 will be the first smartphone with on-screen fingerprint scanning, says The Investor. It’s believed that Samsung and its touch sensor partner Synaptics were running out of time to develop the technology, and with the production of the handset imminent, the firm was left with no other choice but to move the sensor to the back of the phone.

Should we take bets on whether the S9 will put the fingerprint scanner back in front underneath the display?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I love my corel blue S7 Edge, I would be gutted if they dropped it.

Dropped it in what sense? Support? Doubt it because even the S6 will get Nougat. You're in for Android O, but at a later date than the S8 or Note 8. Though Samsung is no HTC or Google Pixel.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...-for-unlocked-smartphones-in-the-U.S._id91968
Samsung shifts to monthly security updates schedule for unlocked smartphones in the U.S.

Okay, this changes things quite a bit. I'm suddenly far more interested in the unlocked S8.

The unlocked S8 that recently passed FCC apparently will be the one model for all carriers. Someone in the comments at Android Police said Samsung did this to minimize the number of SKUs, thus leading to easier updates. Not sure if this last bit is verified, but regardless, an unlocked S8 with a commitment to monthly security updates is a fantastic start to the S8.

As we've said right here in this very thread, it's bizarre the carrier versions of the S7 keep up with the monthly patches more than unlocked S7's directly from Samsung. Hopefully Samsung keeps true to this new promise.

Now the big question is... will the unlocked version of the S8 go on sale at the same time as the carrier-branded ones? I sure hope so. An unlocked S8 that is carrier brand-free, bloatware-free, with monthly security updates would be a no brainer then.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...-for-unlocked-smartphones-in-the-U.S._id91968
Samsung shifts to monthly security updates schedule for unlocked smartphones in the U.S.

Okay, this changes things quite a bit. I'm suddenly far more interested in the unlocked S8.

The unlocked S8 that recently passed FCC apparently will be the one model for all carriers. Someone in the comments at Android Police said Samsung did this to minimize the number of SKUs, thus leading to easier updates. Not sure if this last bit is verified, but regardless, an unlocked S8 with a commitment to monthly security updates is a fantastic start to the S8.

As we've said right here in this very thread, it's bizarre the carrier versions of the S7 keep up with the monthly patches more than unlocked S7's directly from Samsung. Hopefully Samsung keeps true to this new promise.

Now the big question is... will the unlocked version of the S8 go on sale at the same time as the carrier-branded ones? I sure hope so. An unlocked S8 that is carrier brand-free, bloatware-free, with monthly security updates would be a no brainer then.

I want to see action, not just talk from people. Until we see timely updates on the S8 and unlocked S7, there is doubt with Samsung's software support.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I've always wondered why they didn't just make one model with all the radios. I'm hoping the unlocked one also has an unlocked boot loader, that might sway me.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I've always wondered why they didn't just make one model with all the radios. I'm hoping the unlocked one also has an unlocked boot loader, that might sway me.
it's because the USA model will get the snapdragon 835 and its by the company that ownes CDMA technology and won't have to pay Qualcomm royalties for CDMA.

if it wasn't for Verizon stuck on CDMA Samsung would just use it's own soc on all the phones.

buying the snapdragon and using it in the states is cheaper than building there own soc and paying Qualcomm for a standalone modem and or licensing CDMA to use on the Shannon modem Samsung has built.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
it's because the USA model will get the snapdragon 835 and its by the company that ownes CDMA technology and won't have to pay Qualcomm royalties for CDMA.

if it wasn't for Verizon stuck on CDMA Samsung would just use it's own soc on all the phones.

buying the snapdragon and using it in the states is cheaper than building there own soc and paying Qualcomm for a standalone modem and or licensing CDMA to use on the Shannon modem Samsung has built.

Don't forget good ole 4th place Sprint. Their CDMA tech requires you to stand underneath a tower to get a signal bar. They call it "within 1% reliability of Verizon and everyone else." I call it "Sprint admitting they're not so great."

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Don't forget good ole 4th place Sprint. Their CDMA tech requires you to stand underneath a tower to get a signal bar. They call it "within 1% reliability of Verizon and everyone else." I call it "Sprint admitting they're not so great."

lol yes I figured people would know sprint uses CDMA but Verizon is the biggest carrier in the USA and honestly I think Samsung would just not support CDMA period if Verizon was GSM .

they would tell sprint to change to GSM as there market share is not worth using a CDMA modem

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

LOL, That has to be the most lame advertising I ever seen. There basically admitting that Sprint sucks. I can't believe someone gave that the green light.
[doublepost=1489459286][/doublepost]

Just wondering ..... Why is timely security updates a big deal for some of you guys? I personally never cared much if it skipped a month or two, as long as there was no huge known exploit in the wild.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
LOL, That has to be the most lame advertising I ever seen. There basically admitting that Sprint sucks. I can't believe someone gave that the green light.
[doublepost=1489459286][/doublepost]

Just wondering ..... Why is timely security updates a big deal for some of you guys? I personally never cared much if it skipped a month or two, as long as there was no huge known exploit in the wild.

I, too, honestly don't mind missing a month or two. On Tmobile, my S7 Edge missed precisely that -- two months on separate occasions. I didn't really mind. The next one would always come after. It's just somewhat perplexing why Samsung's own unlocked versions couldn't keep up the same way.

And I think security updates will matter more to people -- ease of mind, taking care of any newly discovered exploits, sometimes bug fixes. I certainly value it more than I value major software updates on day one (if you know my post history, you'll know I think requiring software updates on day one is more bragging right than necessity). Monthly updates are where it counts, and it's good that Samsung is aiming to commit to them.

Also worth mentioning that unlocked versions allow customers to get free of carrier bloatware. The better unlocked options get (from all OEMs), the better for customers.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I, too, honestly don't mind missing a month or two. On Tmobile, my S7 Edge missed precisely that -- two months on separate occasions. I didn't really mind. The next one would always come after. It's just somewhat perplexing why Samsung's own unlocked versions couldn't keep up the same way.

And I think security updates will matter more to people -- ease of mind, taking care of any newly discovered exploits, sometimes bug fixes. I certainly value it more than I value major software updates on day one (if you know my post history, you'll know I think requiring software updates on day one is more bragging right than necessity). Monthly updates are where it counts, and it's good that Samsung is aiming to commit to them.

Also worth mentioning that unlocked versions allow customers to get free of carrier bloatware. The better unlocked options get (from all OEMs), the better for customers.

That I agree with. Unlocked non carrier branded phones should be catered to like Apple does it's iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.