Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Such a shame we still haven't heard a single leak about dual speakers. I feel like if they were real, we'd have heard something by now along with the other specs/features that have been leaked and rumored.

I don't think it's happening. Not even the HTC/Apple method of dual speakers.

Dunno Samsung signed a deal with a company forgot the name and they made the speakers I think for the S3 tab and that has great speakers

Just a thought

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Found out I have a nice tax return coming... Might have to spring for a Gear S3 as well. Would a nice bundle with the S8+ be to much to hope for..

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
It's amazing how a new device can make you feel your current device looks dated. For me, the curved corners go really nice with the edge design. I wasn't sure at first, but the more I look at it, and then look at my S7 Edge display, the more I like the curved corners.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
It's amazing how a new device can make you feel your current device looks dated. For me, the curved corners go really nice with the edge design. I wasn't sure at first, but the more I look at it, and then look at my S7 Edge display, the more I like the curved corners.

I think that next to the S8, everything else looks dated. When Sony was trying to show all the cool things with the new Xperia -- 4k HDR screen -- I couldn't see past those huge bezels.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Some real insecure people here, this thread has nothing to do with Apple or any other phone maker. A mere opinion shared about how horrible their stock icons are and people seem real bothered by it.

Don't worry I think the Samsung icons are horrible as well, I hate this cartoonish kick icons are on lately. But I'm probably a bad judge because my favorite icons are from the school of skeumorphism.

I think ui's in genera have slowly but surely devolved, less functionality but more cartoonish and blindingly bright.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
So Lookout is just lousy bloatware.........
I don't really know, I was just letting people know it's there ready to activate.
[doublepost=1489556095][/doublepost]
I'm never fond of any icons that come with any phones. There are too many discordant colors. So in Android I usually apply an icon pack that matches my theme or wallpaper.

On iOS I do sometimes do something similar using an app that lets me put up frames around the icon or a virtual shelf for them. It's not the best solution but it's something.

I like icons that have individual shapes, they look great without text too.
Too many uniform squares or circles is boring imo.
But yeah, stock icons are a bit meh, on any device.

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom

I'm not really sold on the S8 design yet, maybe I need to see it in person first..

Reactions: epicrayban

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ugh, no. Well I suppose I would get used to it. I'm not a huge fan of it on my iPhone, honestly. I know I should be, but I never know what to expect when I try to use it. Maybe I'm getting too old and crotchety.

In other news, the AI apparently will be called Bixby. I can say "Bixby" but I would rather not. I wish they'd stick to a female AI persona with an easier to say name. I suppose I've gotten too fond of Alexa and her sunny personality and pretty voice. However, "Bixby" should be harder to trigger accidentally if it's voice activated as well as connected to a dedicated button.

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/1...ntelligence-virtual-assistant-will-be-called/

By the way, that's NOT me in my avatar. I was jokingly asked that in another thread, much to my amusement. That's Patsy from Absolutely Fabulous, a British comedy I watched back when I used to watch tv.

Last edited:

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Ugh, no. Well I suppose I would get used to it. I'm not a huge fan of it on my iPhone, honestly. I know I should be, but I never know what to expect when I try to use it. Maybe I'm getting too old and crotchety.

I still don't use it much elsewhere in iOS, but in the keyboard for relocating the cursor it's become a must-have for me.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I still don't use it much elsewhere in iOS, but in the keyboard for relocating the cursor it's become a must-have for me.
I've never tried that. I really would want that feature on an iPad. I use my iPads for this forum and it would be useful.

I do sometimes try peek and pop. I'm just not good at keeping things from fully launching when I only want a peek. My husband calls me ham-fisted. :cool:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

It was bound to happen but in reality android doesn't really need this.

We'll see how Android OEMs implement it in future devices. And whether they can get more use out of it.

Interesting that it might only be in the one button for the s8. Maybe hard press for the camera? Instead of double tapping?
[doublepost=1489584643][/doublepost]

This is basically the only time I ever use it.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It was bound to happen but in reality android doesn't really need this.

We'll see how Android OEMs implement it in future devices. And whether they can get more use out of it.
The rumors about the S8 do get me nervous that the engineers working on this and the Note 8 don't have some guy or gal there to rein in their enthusiasm and edit a bit. Samsungs need editing. They try and throw everything at these phones and it's not always the optimal implementation.

I like that the LG G6 shows someone thought about how the parts should come together into a cohesive whole...well at least for the Asian market. I look at the LG G6 and think, okay, dad or mom was there keeping an eye on things. Of course, like my dad would, they made a few goofy decisions on the regional differences, but overall, you can see there was an adult in charge. I have been reading that LG has been terrible at software updates and security updates so that's another reason I am not plotting to preorder one despite really liking so much about it.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I've never tried that. I really would want that feature on an iPad. I use my iPads for this forum and it would be useful.

I do sometimes try peek and pop. I'm just not good at keeping things from fully launching when I only want a peek. My husband calls me ham-fisted. :cool:

Yep, it would be awesome on the iPad. I've grown to like it quite a bit on my regular 7, so maybe trying out a 3D Touch enabled plus would be in order. I hope the S8 gets the same functionality.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

In other news, the AI apparently will be called Bixby. I can say "Bixby" but I would rather not. I wish they'd stick to a female AI persona with an easier to say name. I suppose I've gotten too fond of Alexa and her sunny personality and pretty voice. However, "Bixby" should be harder to trigger accidentally if it's voice activated as well as connected to a dedicated button.

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/1...ntelligence-virtual-assistant-will-be-called/

By the way, that's NOT me in my avatar. I was jokingly asked that in another thread, much to my amusement. That's Patsy from Absolutely Fabulous, a British comedy I watched back when I used to watch tv.
AbFab was a funny show, i am big fan of British comedy.

I always hope that the AI on phones becomes something i use a lot, we will see if this one becomes that.

Reactions: 5105973 and Oohara

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

Ab Fab is the best. Patsy is a goddess...I mean, waking up in the morning with a fag already in the mouth ready to be lit? That show used to be my bible. /derail :oops:

As for force touch on Sammy phones... I hope they go for it, would be nice to see how they choose to use it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Yep, it would be awesome on the iPad. I've grown to like it quite a bit on my regular 7, so maybe trying out a 3D Touch enabled plus would be in order. I hope the S8 gets the same functionality.

Aren't you two aware that you can move the cursor in the same fashion using 2 fingers on the iPad?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Aren't you two aware that you can move the cursor in the same fashion using 2 fingers on the iPad?
Nope! Ooooooooh, cool! Thanks! All this time I have just been tapping to place the cursor. Sometimes it goes where I want it to, sometimes not.

I don't know how or why but awhile back. I guess after I updated it to iOS 10, finally, my iPad started spewing instructional tips at me in my notifications. I've learned all sorts of new things I didn't know before. But hadn't seen that one yet.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
A bit more on the pressure sensitive home button:

As Android Central’s Alex Dobie noted, users would need to “force-touch” the key in order to wake the phone up, instead of a simple tap. This would eliminate most accidental wake-ups and make it easy to wake up the phone without pressing the home button or the fingerprint sensor on the back.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

As Android Central’s Alex Dobie noted, users would need to “force-touch” the key in order to wake the phone up, instead of a simple tap. This would eliminate most accidental wake-ups and make it easy to wake up the phone without pressing the home button or the fingerprint sensor on the back.
I think I need to force touch my forehead to wake up better in the morning. I often pop out of bed ready to at least get coffee but since cutting down, I am all fuzzy and keep misreading stuff. It's almost evening and I'm still all "Er wut now?"

All I get from this particular snippet is that it will work pretty much like I'm already used to a home button working. At least on my iPhone. Did I read that right?

Why oh why can't it rain coffee, dammit!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

So a potential unlocking gesture in lieu of a front facing fp scanner? I would be alright with that if they do that.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

Meaning the S9 will do the same BUT have a fingerprint sensor under the screen in the same spot.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Meaning the S9 will do the same BUT have a fingerprint sensor under the screen in the same spot.

This is a very possible scenario. A previous story said the only reason Samsung didn't do that with the S8 is cause they ran out of time.

Maybe the Note 8 will have it figured out.

Reactions: Fernandez21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.