Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Not really, those wanting to buy an iPhone will generally buy an iPhone for iOS and the Apple applications. Essentially there is no choice if you want iOS. Indeed the new product red iPhone looks quite sexy in its own way.

Those who are not so tied into iOS and apples own apps may be swayed to Samsung, but may equally be swayed by any of the other plethora of android devices.

That's not to say the S8 doesn't look lovely, it does. But the repeated assumption on this alternatives fora seems to be that iPhone users are buying phones based on bezel sizes which is simply false.

I wish Apple could get off its "margins are everything" approach. It really makes Apple less innovative. We should have Touch Screened Macs right now. Instead, we have bulky iPhone 7+s with very little effort put into them. It might be time for Apple to give Tim Cook the hook because he is approving these mediocre product concepts like the Touch Bar.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Not really, those wanting to buy an iPhone will generally buy an iPhone for iOS and the Apple applications. Essentially there is no choice if you want iOS. Indeed the new product red iPhone looks quite sexy in its own way.

Those who are not so tied into iOS and apples own apps may be swayed to Samsung, but may equally be swayed by any of the other plethora of android devices.

That's not to say the S8 doesn't look lovely, it does. But the repeated assumption on this alternatives fora seems to be that iPhone users are buying phones based on bezel sizes which is simply false.

As usual, very well said. I buy an iPhone in spite of the large bezels. I'm fact, the last 3 phones I've purchased (iPhone, Pixel XL, Nexus 6P) have probably the largest bezels found on recent smartphones. The predominant driving force behind my choice of smartphone is the software. If bezels were that important to me, I'd have purchased any number of other phones long ago.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Oh wow, that hardware is droolworthy indeed. Now if only their software support were even a quarter as good as their hardware, I'd be lusting over that phone. Now I'm not quite so sure as it would be all too soon when I'd be hesitating to put any important data on the device as security updates are starting to trail behind. Samsung should definitely do better with those prices.

Reactions: tbayrgs

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wish Apple could get off its "margins are everything" approach. It really makes Apple less innovative. We should have Touch Screened Macs right now. Instead, we have bulky iPhone 7+s with very little effort put into them. It might be time for Apple to give Tim Cook the hook because he is approving these mediocre product concepts like the Touch Bar.

A touch screen iMac or MacBook doesn't hold too much interest for me personally as mac osX in its current form is too geared for click input and not touch and apps I use have fairly extensive toolbars which as I found out when I had a surface pro 3 made touch input a nightmare to use.

However I would love to see a MacBook Pro or iMac who incorporate support for Apple's pencil ️ as I would love to illustrate and draw directly rather than relying on third party mods (modbook) or devices like Wacom Cintiq or iPad Pro with Astropad ...

Apple Pencil support would be easier to incorporate than adapting entire OS for touch optimisation too.... (it's something they could add now and require minimum effort).

As for Apple pricing, well as a mac user for over 20 years, apples hardware as expensive as it is, has never been more accessible, that doesn't mean I don't think it's expensive, it is. But then the competing products I would be interested in, would cost me something similar ...

Reactions: tbayrgs

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
A touch screen iMac or MacBook doesn't hold too much interest for me personally as mac osX in its current form is too geared for click input and not touch and apps I use have fairly extensive toolbars which as I found out when I had a surface pro 3 made touch input a nightmare to use.

However I would love to see a MacBook Pro or iMac who incorporate support for Apple's pencil ️ as I would love to illustrate and draw directly rather than relying on third party mods (modbook) or devices like Wacom Cintiq or iPad Pro with Astropad ...

Apple Pencil support would be easier to incorporate than adapting entire OS for touch optimisation too.... (it's something they could add now and require minimum effort).

As for Apple pricing, well as a mac user for over 20 years, apples hardware as expensive as it is, has never been more accessible, that doesn't mean I don't think it's expensive, it is. But then the competing products I would be interested in, would cost me something similar ...

I don't think I am going to re-up with a Mac as my next laptop in 3-5 years or so. A Touch Screen would work if they tweaked the OS and added dev support for various products. Even no stylus support further cements my feelings towards Apple's lethargic and apathetic attitude. Eh, if I went for alternatives, I would go cheaper because the market is so stagnant to the point where phones and laptops are what they are.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm not necessarily convinced the S8 will win over "droves" of iPhone users either. It'll surely attract some. Overall, I predict the S8 will do well regardless and continue to dominate Android sales, but two key things have to happen first for the S8 to succeed sale wise:

1) It has to abolish the battery fears. Even with Samsung's new and improved 8-step battery testing procedure, I'm sure one or two will catch fire in the wild (as that happens generally with smartphones). They'll have to ensure those are isolated cases and make people feel comfortable about purchasing Samsung again.

2) It has to review well. I think there's a good chance that the S8 will do well in this regard. The Note 7 was almost unanimously praised by critics and tech journalists. The S8 should really be no different. I'm sure there will be a few areas of concern (like the new fingerprint sensor location, reliability of IRIS/facial unlock, TouchWiz, and updates, to name a few), but it shouldn't be anywhere near a failing grade.

And naturally, Samsung should hopefully stick the launch with enough stock and units, hopefully some good promotions either from themselves or through the carriers, and maybe if we're lucky, they send units out early like they did with the S7 last year. Accomplish these, and the S8 will be on its way to success.

It's already off to a good start, in my eyes, with the decisions we've seen so far. For example:

• Making the front all black to hide sensors.
  • The color options are looking quite delicious
  • Their promise to keep unlocked versions up to date on monthly security updates.
  • The design is stunning from what we can tell so far. And again, the ergonomics! The S8 is going to be smaller than the S7 Edge, which I've expressed is already the best and most impressive phablet-size device.
  • And likely logo-less upfront! I mean, I don't want to jinx it, but going logo-less is such a crowd-pleasing decision. It's such a small thing, but it makes all of us happier and gives so much more respect to their own design.
Once again, Samsung listens. Little by little, they've been addressing specific criticisms of their smartphones for years now (starting with the S6). They don't nail everything, of course, but the efforts are clearly there, and the results are clearly visible.

Fingers crossed they stick this landing.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I don't think I am going to re-up with a Mac as my next laptop in 3-5 years or so. A Touch Screen would work if they tweaked the OS and added dev support for various products. Even no stylus support further cements my feelings towards Apple's lethargic and apathetic attitude. Eh, if I went for alternatives, I would go cheaper because the market is so stagnant to the point where phones and laptops are what they are.

How can you possible decide what type of computer/laptop you're going to get in 3-5 years when you perseverate over what your next phone will be what seems like every couple of months in this forum? :confused::p

I'm not very happy with the direction Apple has taken over the past couple of years but there's no way I can commit to a tech purchase as significant as my next computer, much less even my next phone, that far in advance. I would think very long and hard about getting another Mac in 3+ years if nothing significant changes from the current state of Apple's Mac lineup but so much can happen between now and then.

Reactions: MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Wait, someone explain this part to me. The S8 will have this tech, but not the S8+? Zuh???

Carrier orders favoring Galaxy S8 before S8+, in-cell touch tech may be S8 exclusive
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Carr...ouch-display-tech-may-be-S8-exclusive_id92200

Moreover, the source tips that Galaxy S8 will sport the Y-Octa screen technology that debuted on the Note 7, but not the S8+. Y-Octa incorporates the touch layer film directly in the display, slimming the screen package a bit, and improving sensitivity. This is likely similar to the in-cell touch tech that has been on LCD screens of Apple, LG and other flagships for a while now, but applied to an OLED display.

Seriously, no one is going to talk about this?

The in-cell touch technology could mean the S8's touch latency will be as minimal as the Pixel (you heard right. I'm using the Pixel as the crowning standard, not the iPhone).

But it might only be in the S8? Which is extremely puzzling.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
How can you possible decide what type of computer/laptop you're going to get in 3-5 years when you perseverate over what your next phone will be what seems like every couple of months in this forum? :confused::p

I'm not very happy with the direction Apple has taken over the past couple of years but there's no way I can commit to a tech purchase as significant as my next computer, much less even my next phone, that far in advance. I would think very long and hard about getting another Mac in 3+ years if nothing significant changes from the current state of Apple's Mac lineup but so much can happen between now and then.

Easy. You can estimate what type of Mac you're getting (Touchbar based, mobile payment based, standard specs like 16gb of RAM and an i5 processor, etc, etc). It's not accurate because nobody is a soothsayer, but I know that to get a good product for cheaper, it's not going to be a Mac.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Under cook Apple are making an insane amount of money. More than ever before. So they are not going to let him go anytime soon.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Same here. My reservations about rear FPS is primarily about the car mount.

I hope the facial recognition is good enough that it's a viable solution to unlocking the device from the car mount. That or introduce a quick toggle for lock screens. Toggle it off when you're in the car so you can just swipe up to unlock device, then toggle it back on when you exit the car.

Because otherwise, I'm rather open minded to the rear FPS. I've noticed my thumb just isn't the best finger for FPS. Both on my iPhone and Android devices. I say this because during the month or so I had the Pixel as a daily driver, I can't remember a single false fingerprint read. I believe the index finger is simply the more reliable fingerprint to read. Also, it felt great using a rear FPS when pulling the device out of my pocket. Very natural.

And, of course, moving it to the back allows for the front to be sleeker and have a larger display. So I'm for it if Samsung can figure out good workarounds for the few shortcomings of a rear FPS.

Of course, once they figure out the in-display FPS, it may return to the front in the Note 8/S9.

It's not only that it's rear mounted, but they made the awful decision to put it on one side. So if I'm holding the phone with my left hand I'm not even sure I can reach across one handed and unlock it! It's also very high up on the phone, which has much more vertical size than horizontal. So even if the curved screens allow better one handed use, good luck racheting your finger all the way up and over to reach the sensor.

With all the room they have on the back I'm baffled why they made such a poor decision.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It's not only that it's rear mounted, but they made the awful decision to put it on one side. So if I'm holding the phone with my left hand I'm not even sure I can reach across one handed and unlock it! With all the room they have on the back I'm baffled why they made such a poor decision.

Agree. That'll take some getting used to.

I suspect that the wireless charging and probably the improved, ie. post-Note 7, battery housing compartment is what kept the finger sensor away from being lower and centered. That's just a guess, though.

Reactions: Demo Kit

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
As usual, very well said. I buy an iPhone in spite of the large bezels. I'm fact, the last 3 phones I've purchased (iPhone, Pixel XL, Nexus 6P) have probably the largest bezels found on recent smartphones. The predominant driving force behind my choice of smartphone is the software. If bezels were that important to me, I'd have purchased any number of other phones long ago.

Bezels are that important to me, but the iPhone has a lot of things which are important to me as well. I'm excited this hopefully is the first year I can buy an iPhone and NOT feel like I'm compromising. Well at least with the hardware, I have no doubt iOS will remain primitive.
[doublepost=1490123893][/doublepost]
I'm not necessarily convinced the S8 will win over "droves" of iPhone users either. It'll surely attract some. Overall, I predict the S8 will do well regardless and continue to dominate Android sales, but two key things have to happen first for the S8 to succeed sale wise:

1) It has to abolish the battery fears. Even with Samsung's new and improved 8-step battery testing procedure, I'm sure one or two will catch fire in the wild (as that happens generally with smartphones). They'll have to ensure those are isolated cases and make people feel comfortable about purchasing Samsung again.

2) It has to review well. I think there's a good chance that the S8 will do well in this regard. The Note 7 was almost unanimously praised by critics and tech journalists. The S8 should really be no different. I'm sure there will be a few areas of concern (like the new fingerprint sensor location, reliability of IRIS/facial unlock, TouchWiz, and updates, to name a few), but it shouldn't be anywhere near a failing grade.

And naturally, Samsung should hopefully stick the launch with enough stock and units, hopefully some good promotions either from themselves or through the carriers, and maybe if we're lucky, they send units out early like they did with the S7 last year. Accomplish these, and the S8 will be on its way to success.

It's already off to a good start, in my eyes, with the decisions we've seen so far. For example:

• Making the front all black to hide sensors.
  • The color options are looking quite delicious
  • Their promise to keep unlocked versions up to date on monthly security updates.
  • The design is stunning from what we can tell so far. And again, the ergonomics! The S8 is going to be smaller than the S7 Edge, which I've expressed is already the best and most impressive phablet-size device.
  • And likely logo-less upfront! I mean, I don't want to jinx it, but going logo-less is such a crowd-pleasing decision. It's such a small thing, but it makes all of us happier and gives so much more respect to their own design.
Once again, Samsung listens. Little by little, they've been addressing specific criticisms of their smartphones for years now (starting with the S6). They don't nail everything, of course, but the efforts are clearly there, and the results are clearly visible.

Fingers crossed they stick this landing.

I don't think it will win over very many iPhone users either, this certainly is the wrong year to win over iPhone users. But even then I just don't see anything truly revolutionary about curved screens, I said the same thing last year with the S7 and Note 7. I see much more revolution in reducing the top/bottom bezels and Apple is doing that as well. I think the S8 will sell very well, but will be eclipsed by the iPhone and other competitors who have better designs like the G6.
[doublepost=1490124015][/doublepost]So is the no logo on the front confirmed? I remember seeing plenty of no logo Note 7 leaks, which ended up being either promo material or that Japanese model which was the only one with no logos. Samsung seems to really try very hard to stick that stupid logo everywhere and I'm finding it hard to believe they would leave it off the front.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It's not only that it's rear mounted, but they made the awful decision to put it on one side. So if I'm holding the phone with my left hand I'm not even sure I can reach across one handed and unlock it! It's also very high up on the phone, which has much more vertical size than horizontal. So even if the curved screens allow better one handed use, good luck racheting your finger all the way up and over to reach the sensor.

With all the room they have on the back I'm baffled why they made such a poor decision.

Unless you have ultra small hands. I think you're putting to much thought into it. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised that the FPS placement worries was over hyped.

I tried to duplicate placing my index finger next to the camera on the iPhone 7 Plus, V20, S7 Edge, Note 4 and Note 2. Didn't seem like an issue, and my hands are medium sized. I can't even palm a basketball.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think you're putting to much thought into it. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised that the FPS placement worries was over hyped.

It is high and it is off-center, which makes it a little weird depending on which hand you use, but otherwise, I agree. I think we'll get used to it quite easily. Especially since I'm convinced the index finger is a better print than the thumb finger -- I still get failures rather regularly with my 6S and S6. Maybe it's just me, but I notice my thumbs are more calloused than my index fingers. I never had issues unlocking with my index finger with the Pixel.

Besides, the more interesting question will be how well IRIS/facial unlock works. If it's that good, no one may care where the FPS is.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Under cook Apple are making an insane amount of money. More than ever before. So they are not going to let him go anytime soon.

But don't have the market share they want in China. Their margins are fantastic, but their innovation is on the other end of the spectrum. At least Jobs brought in innovation and profits simultaneously.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It is high and it is off-center, which makes it a little weird depending on which hand you use, but otherwise, I agree. I think we'll get used to it quite easily. Especially since I'm convinced the index finger is a better print than the thumb finger -- I still get failures rather regularly with my 6S and S6. Maybe it's just me, but I notice my thumbs are more calloused than my index fingers. I never had issues unlocking with my index finger with the Pixel.

Besides, the more interesting question will be how well IRIS/facial unlock works. If it's that good, no one may care where the FPS is.

The IRIS scanner worked 100% of the time for me and lighting fast. Of course the two exceptions is when the sun is beaming on the sensor and wearing dark tint shades. I don't wear prescription glasses or contacts, so I can't speak on that.

Just maybe the facial recognition might be the solution to the two exceptions I've mentioned. If so, that would be great and make the FPS unessacary in most circumstances.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I hope there are demo units in stores before or during day of pre-orders. I really want to see the color options in person before I commit. Particularly want to handle that Orchid Gray.

I also hope Samsung really releases an unlocked version from their website on day one, too.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The IRIS scanner worked 100% of the time for me and lighting fast. Of course the two exceptions is when the sun is beaming on the sensor and wearing dark tint shades. I don't wear prescription glasses or contacts, so I can't speak on that.

Just maybe the facial recognition might be the solution to the two exceptions I've mentioned. If so, that would be great and make the FPS unessacary in most circumstances.
I am thinking it works fine on prescription glasses that have anti reflective coated lenses. Otherwise, some people who who wear glasses have complained it didn't work for them. All I could come up with for an explanation as to why it worked for me and not for them is the fact my glasses have anti-reflective coating, so my eyes showed up great for the scanner.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
But don't have the market share they want in China. Their margins are fantastic, but their innovation is on the other end of the spectrum. At least Jobs brought in innovation and profits simultaneously.
Well they didn't have any presence in China under jobs. However Steve was unique so if they are looking for the next Jobs they are not going to find him.
[doublepost=1490129601][/doublepost]
Bezels are that important to me, but the iPhone has a lot of things which are important to me as well. I'm excited this hopefully is the first year I can buy an iPhone and NOT feel like I'm compromising. Well at least with the hardware, I have no doubt iOS will remain primitive.
[doublepost=1490123893][/doublepost]

I don't think it will win over very many iPhone users either, this certainly is the wrong year to win over iPhone users. But even then I just don't see anything truly revolutionary about curved screens, I said the same thing last year with the S7 and Note 7. I see much more revolution in reducing the top/bottom bezels and Apple is doing that as well. I think the S8 will sell very well, but will be eclipsed by the iPhone and other competitors who have better designs like the G6.
[doublepost=1490124015][/doublepost]So is the no logo on the front confirmed? I remember seeing plenty of no logo Note 7 leaks, which ended up being either promo material or that Japanese model which was the only one with no logos. Samsung seems to really try very hard to stick that stupid logo everywhere and I'm finding it hard to believe they would leave it off the front.
The G6 will not outsell the S8. Granted the iPhone 8 will be the top seller and after that the S8. LG will be lucky to sell 10 million of the G6.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Seriously, no one is going to talk about this?

The in-cell touch technology could mean the S8's touch latency will be as minimal as the Pixel (you heard right. I'm using the Pixel as the crowning standard, not the iPhone).

But it might only be in the S8? Which is extremely puzzling.

I'm not talking about it until it's true! Tbh it would be a puzzling decision to favour the S8 with better tech than the S8+.

Hence why I won't believe it yet!

Unless you have ultra small hands. I think you're putting to much thought into it. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised that the FPS placement worries was over hyped.

I tried to duplicate placing my index finger next to the camera on the iPhone 7 Plus, V20, S7 Edge, Note 4 and Note 2. Didn't seem like an issue, and my hands are medium sized. I can't even palm a basketball.

Donald Trump may have issues...

In all seriousness, you're right. I think people are overthinking this.

If the FPS is good, works fast and there are multiple ways of unlocking the phone, it will be fine.

Samsung may be working towards another solution next year but this is far from a deal-breaker for me.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Just thought I'd post to say that after my last post saying how I wasn't feeling the leaks and renders of this device, after seeing the last few pages of the videos and more official looking 'leaks', my tongue is out salivating and my interest has sky rocketed. :D

I mean that photo next to the iPhone?! It just shows you the steps that Samsung have taken to build on their product releases. What I like is they haven't ever really stayed safe. I guess some could say they have what with offering a 'normal' non edge version of their S6 and 7, but they have continued to push the boundaries with their designs and I really have to take my hat off to them.

I use an iPhone 7 Plus and I like it a lot, but the design is frankly embarrassing compared to that, and even compared to other android devices that are out there currently.
It just looks severely dated.

The whole 'unmistakably iPhone' thing is not really a good connotation these days. Especially when it's the same lightly tweaked design they've been pushing out for what seems like an eternity that means people know it's an iPhone from one glance.

I hope it's a success for them after the Note 7. That was one hell of a phone but even that (in all its blue coral sexiness!) almost looks dated compared to this! Dare I say it haha.

Looking forward to learning more about it.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
And here are all three colors, including the Arctic Silver:
http://m.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s8-leaked-illustrious-purple-and-silver-colors

galaxy-s8-all-colors-leaked-renders.jpg

The silver looks to be more of an understated brushed look rather than the hyper-glossy silver of the Galaxy S7. All of the colors have corresponding color-matched metal frames.

Seriously, they all look good.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
And here are all three colors, including the Arctic Silver:
http://m.androidcentral.com/galaxy-s8-leaked-illustrious-purple-and-silver-colors

galaxy-s8-all-colors-leaked-renders.jpg

The silver looks to be more of an understated brushed look rather than the hyper-glossy silver of the Galaxy S7. All of the colors have corresponding color-matched metal frames.

Seriously, they all look good.

I honestly think that by having the fronts all black, Sammy have given consumers some breathing room with choosing a color. For me, the biggest advantage of the black color, was having a black front. But now, I wouldn't mind getting the silver because I don't have to look at silver front bezels.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I have fairly large hands and tried to duplicate the functionality on my 7 plus. It's difficult to get my index finger in that spot with my left hand for reasons different than what I thought. What I find is that my index finger is too far in, and I actually have to double it back to hit that spot to the side of the camera, and even then it's almost impossible to lay my index finger flat. Very unwieldy and a recipe for a dropped phone IMO. This is with a larger phone though so I'll withhold judgement until I hold a S8 in hand.

I still think it was a poor decision, but just my personal opinion. Just one point that gets taken away from Samsung and given to Apple in my mental tug of war of which phone to buy.
[doublepost=1490152290][/doublepost]
Well they didn't have any presence in China under jobs. However Steve was unique so if they are looking for the next Jobs they are not going to find him.
[doublepost=1490129601][/doublepost]
The G6 will not outsell the S8. Granted the iPhone 8 will be the top seller and after that the S8. LG will be lucky to sell 10 million of the G6.

No I think it's pretty obvious the G6 wouldn't outsell the S8, but it does add one more choice for consumers and a significantly cheaper one. I think LG may take a larger bit out of Samsung this year than last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.