Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vavalent

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
So Samsung Dex turns that monitor, keyboard and mouse you have on your desk into a PC? Like there wasn't a PC already attached to it? You basically have the newest technology in your hand and turn it into technology from the '80s. I don't get it.

I think this is an absolutely brilliant beginning of something. When it is that easy to 'plug and play' your whole file system and apps, sooner or later workplace or schools need only these docking stations for employees or students to sign in with their phones.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Translation of Samsung UNPACKED ....... Here's something to hold you guys over until the Note 8. :p
I'm still pre-ordering the S8 Plus with T-mobile JOD. :D

DeX is looking pretty good. Still have to see how it performs more.
Bixby seems like a good Google Now contender. Might even be better since it's optimized for the S8.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I think this is an absolutely brilliant beginning of something. When it is that easy to 'plug and play' your whole file system and apps, sooner or later workplace or schools need only these docking stations for employees or students to sign in with their phones.

Well, for it to be a true PC it has to run full Windows. I remember the cheap Surface with Windows RT to not be a great succes and this thing run Android...

I'm more excited for a PC experience that brings full power into new form factors. So no conventional keyboard and mouse, that just seems like a half-assed attempt. Surface tablets do that now, Apple doesn't have it yet, Samsung goes in this direction with the S8 DeX. Good things are coming.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Really surprised with the lack of camera upgrade. Not sure if Bixby and Dex can get me to JOD with the phone.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lucky Bastards....Free Gear 360
Such an Oprah moment! And a Gear 360 for you...and you and you! A Gear 360 for everybody!

IMG_0306.JPG

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
No pre-order goodies here, not even VR. Shafted as usual, if they don't add them in a few days. That has happened before.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Galaxy S8 and S8+ hands-on: Betting big on big

What am I not loving yet? Launching with Android 7.0 feels oh so typical Samsung: they can preach all they want about how they test their software endlessly in order to ensure updates are smooth and low on bugs, but I just can't shake the feeling that Samsung really has no intention of changing its approach to Android platform updates. Performance is going to be a big question, too (and it's one Samsung seems uninterested in discussing). I won't even be able to conclusively come to an answer in our review, simply due to the amount of time we'll have to use the phones before publishing. That'll take weeks and months of additional testing.

This is my concern too. While I haven't owned a Samsung phone since my Galaxy S6 (used for ~8 months) and Note 5 (used for 4 weeks), I've been burned by TW jank and slow down with these phones and Sammy phones prior. Let's see how this one shapes up.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Translation of Samsung UNPACKED ....... Here's something to hold you guys over until the Note 8. :p
I'm still pre-ordering the S8 Plus with T-mobile JOD. :D

DeX is looking pretty good. Still have to see how it performs more.
Bixby seems like a good Google Now contender. Might even be better since it's optimized for the S8.
My thoughts exactly....especially with the same camera. Samsung is going to bring the big guns to compete with the iphone release this year.
I'm still going to JoD too :p

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

I get what your saying, but for me I prefer my whole file system and apps in the cloud, and them simply log into them at any computer to access them. I sort of have this now, I've moved all my files into my iCloud Drive and with the way my MacBook creates extra space by storing everything in the cloud and having placeholder until I need it, I could see where I could log into another computer and then everything is just like my MacBook.

Of course a lot of this depends on price, if that dock is $100 or less, which would mean $850 for both the s8 and dock, plus a cheap monitor with keyboard and mouse. So for less than a grand you can get both a pic experience and mobile. Will have to see performance, but you could probably get a better phone/pc combo for less (like say a dell laptop and mate8)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My disappointments include:

-Same back camera as the S7. Samsung claims the software has improved though, and the Verge impression says it's noticeably faster, so those are pluses, but it's a shame it's the same shooter hardware-wise.

-Small-ish batteries. Though coming off the Note 7, that's fine. And Samsung claims the battery will degrade less overtime.

-Price. And no unlocked model yet. I'm thankful it's not more, though. I believe the S7E started at $730 (?), so $750 for the S8 isn't terribly far off, but it's still a pretty penny. At least you're getting a ton of modern technology (cough, Apple)

-No stereo speakers. Not even the Apple/HTC 10 version.

-The one odd design choice in an otherwise gorgeous phone is the fingerprint scanner placement. It's awkward and was possibly moved there at the last minute when they couldn't get the fingerprint scanner to work with the home button, but early impressions of facial unlock are, at least, positive (the Verge said it was so reliable and fast that they had a hard time filming it).

Overall, we got exactly what we were expecting. Everything else looks and sounds terrific. Admittedly, I'm not as gung-ho on pre-ordering as I thought I would be. I'll have to mull it over a bit more. The value for the S7 cannot be ignored here.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
My disappointments include:

-Same back camera as the S7. Samsung claims the software has improved though, and the Verge impression says it's noticeably faster, so those are pluses, but it's a shame it's the same shooter hardware-wise.

-Small-ish batteries. Though coming off the Note 7, that's fine. And Samsung claims the battery will degrade less overtime.

-Price. And no unlocked model yet. I'm thankful it's not more, though. I believe the S7E started at $730 (?), so $750 for the S8 isn't terribly far off, but it's still a pretty penny. At least you're getting a ton of modern technology (cough, Apple)

-No stereo speakers. Not even the Apple/HTC 10 version.

-The one odd design choice is the fingerprint scanner placement. It's awkward and was possibly moved there at the last minute when they couldn't get the fingerprint scanner to work with the home button, but early impressions of facial unlock are, at least, positive (the Verge said it was so reliable and fast that they had a hard time filming it).

Overall, we got exactly what we were expecting. Everything else looks and sounds terrific. Admittedly, I'm not as gung-ho on pre-ordering as I thought I would be. I'll have to mull it over a bit more. The value for the S7 cannot be ignored here.

I'm curious to know how hard it will be to reach on the S8+ model with the phone being so tall. Camera smudges are guaranteed.

Reactions: epicrayban

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Been on iP7+ since launch and I'm itching to go back to Android, but not sure if the S8 will do. However, knowing myself, I'll probably use my JoD.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't think I'll will need DeX. But if Samsung creates a cheap(Chromebook like) laptop with a slot to drop your Galaxy phone in, then I'll be all over that.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm a bit disappointed that the camera is the same.
It's a good camera, but it isn't the Lumia 950 level of brilliance. Really surprised there are no updates here.

I've just been frantically trying to figure out the best way to buy it but then I stopped, had a word with myself and realised that I don't think I actually want it.

It's an amazing design and the phone colours are sublime, but Samsung devices generally tend to always seem better outside of Europe. Samsung pay etc has virtually no presence here (that I know of) and same with Android Pay.

One thing I like about my iPhone is the fact that wallet and Apple Pay are so good and work in loads of places I go.

After seeing this I'm more inclined to look at something like an LG G6 and other Android devices that tend to fly under the radar a bit, before likely diving in on the iPhone 8.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
£689 and £779
Is that a conversion or the official price?
[doublepost=1490804982][/doublepost]
I'm a bit disappointed that the camera is the same.
It's a good camera, but it isn't the Lumia 950 level of brilliance. Really surprised there are no updates here.

I've just been frantically trying to figure out the best way to buy it but then I stopped, had a word with myself and realised that I don't think I actually want it.

It's an amazing design and the phone colours are sublime, but Samsung devices generally tend to always seem better outside of Europe. Samsung pay etc has virtually no presence here (that I know of) and same with Android Pay.

One thing I like about my iPhone is the fact that wallet and Apple Pay are so good and work in loads of places I go.

After seeing this I'm more inclined to look at something like an LG G6 and other Android devices that tend to fly under the radar a bit, before likely diving in on the iPhone 8.
We have android pay in the U.K. and it works in the same places as Apple Pay. Samsung pay I doubt will ever come here.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Is that a conversion or the official price?
[doublepost=1490804982][/doublepost]
We have android pay in the U.K. and it works in the same places as Apple Pay. Samsung pay I doubt will ever come here.

I bank with Barclays who don't support Android Pay and will not be, according to them.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Galaxy S8 and S8+ hands-on: Betting big on big

This is my concern too. While I haven't owned a Samsung phone since my Galaxy S6 (used for ~8 months) and Note 5 (used for 4 weeks), I've been burned by TW jank and slow down with these phones and Sammy phones prior. Let's see how this one shapes up.

More of the same. Samsung is one of the worst on updates, especially one year later, good luck. They make throw away phones, they are the best phones at launch, but a year later they are laggy bogged down, and get damaged easy with the curved screen.

Touchwiz lags, it did every Samsung phone I have owned, even the S7 Edge. But the ones I was able to flash a custom ROM, made a night and day difference in better smoother performance.

Samsung, why Samsung Pay and not Google's default Android Pay ? Why do that **** ? Bixby, but Google already has Google Now and Assistant, we don't need a Samsung specific Siri.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Any confirmation on which fast charging tech is being used for the S8: Quick Charge 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, USB Type C Power Delivery?

Reactions: Sensamic

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
When you watch video impressions, the curve of the screen is very minimal, which is a relief.

The impressions are saying they aren't getting any weird or false touches. Thank goodness, considering how large these phones are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.