Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
That enhanced software processing for the camera sounds a lot like what the Pixel has. I wonder if it works as well.

Edit...posted the same time as the post above mine. Thanks!

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
The Galaxy S8, however, is embedded with sophisticated multi-frame image processing to ensure bright and clear photographs in nearly every environment.
With this technology, the camera takes three photos – instead of just one – then selects the clearest image and uses the other two to reduce the blur. By imposing the three images on top of one another, the resulting photograph is highly detailed with clearer contours.

Similar to Pixel's multi frame processing.

Source: https://news.samsung.com/global/in-depth-look-fast-fun-and-in-focus-the-galaxy-s8-camera

Interesting. This with the combination of OIS could result in great pictures. Especially in low light.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Sorry, but that's completely wrong. The front camera of the S7 had an F1.7 aperture too. As for laser auto focus for the rear camera, could you point me to your source? I have not seen a single website claim this (even Samsung's official website) and furthermore there is no visible laser auto focus module located on the rear of the phone. I am therefore extremely sceptical of your claim. There is also scant evidence that the rear camera sensor has been changed in the S8, all the available information points to the same sensor as the one found in the S7 (12MP dual pixel with 1.4um pixel pitch) but with significantly updated software processing. The front camera sensor is certainly upgraded though, so I apologise if this is what you are referring to. Saying that HDR is a new feature is also incorrect; the S7 camera already had HDR support (both front and rear), pretty much every modern smartphone camera has HDR capabilities. Not sure why you would state otherwise. Unless, you mean the enhanced software processing that Samsung has included in the S8.
I'll just leave this here for you to peruse. Although, I thought the f1.7 was new when I was told about it. Thought last year has f2.2
Screenshot_20170329-103947.png

Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
I'll just leave this here for you to peruse. Although, I thought the f1.7 was new when I was told about it. Thought last year has f2.2 View attachment 694066
Thanks for revealing your source. Still puzzled why the Samsung website doesn't mention laser autofocus, or any other tech website for that matter. Usually sites like Anandtech would mention a hardware change like that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
Samsung says that after a typical year's worth of charges and discharges, the Galaxy S7 only maintained about 80% of its total effective battery capacity. The Galaxy S8 and S8+, however, will maintain 95% of their capacity over that same period with the same usage.

Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...ill-degrade-less-quickly-than-the-galaxy-s7s/
One of the best new features if you ask me. My S7 battery life is not what it used to be when i first bought it a year ago, the battery definitely has degraded somewhat.

Reactions: 5105973

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I was right that the front will be logo-less..predicted that some weeks ago.

The battery on the S8 will be a problem...Samsung took a step back (just like they did w/the s6). Once you override the default display settings and go higher...your battery is going to pulmet.

I'm not rushin' to get this phone tho' it sure is purty!

Better luck next year.

Not only is it logo-less on front: I haven't seen any carrier logos on the back in the promo shots.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s8/

Reactions: epicrayban

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for revealing your source. Still puzzled why the Samsung website doesn't mention laser autofocus, or any other tech website for that matter. Usually sites like Anandtech would mention a hardware change like that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

interesting indeed. Mr. Mobile even mentions it's the same sensor, just more (better?) image processing going on in the background, which is a good thing no matter what.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Even tho I'm an iPhone guy I have to admit Samsung have stepped up their game in terms of design and the leaks that have come out show a really nice design. I will tune in to the event to see what Samsung announce. I think if there ever came a day where Samsung pulled an Apple and decided to make their own software and not use Andriod I would be very tempted with some of these designs.

They do, but Tizen isn't really well known or popular. Tizen runs much better than Android as well.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I've outgrown Samsung. I'm VERY happy with my Huawei Nova Plus, which ALWAYS gets 7 hours screen on time with more than a day total.

Battery life has become top priority thanks to the Huawei. Couldn't go back to less than 5 hours screen on time.

I'm more interested in the G6 and the P10.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I've outgrown Samsung. I'm VERY happy with my Huawei Nova Plus, which ALWAYS gets 7 hours screen on time with more than a day total.

Battery life has become top priority thanks to the Huawei. Couldn't go back to less than 5 hours screen on time.

I'm more interested in the G6 and the P10.
battery life is a big reason why I like my 7 plus so much. It really does matter.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Crashes to home screen on apps like News Apps and weather apps on both iPad and iPhone. My mail app on my iPhone became corrupted and had to be reinstalled. I missed important emails coming in from one of my accounts due to that. I can't remember ever having anything quite like that happening on an iPhone before. Those kinds of messes. I have had a lot of Safari browser crashes on ordinary tech sites happen a lot now.

A lot of them of course are loaded with terrible ads, so that's not unexpected, but it's happening more than it used to on both devices since I updated them. The phone is still fairly new and I don't have that many apps loaded onto it. I've noticed the battery draining faster as well.

It's not the hardware, it was one of the last updates. I'm sure it will be fine at the next update. My husband has had a few things hang up on his 7 Plus, too. I remember he had trouble with the camera a few times. Nothing that a reboot couldn't fix. But both of us have had to reboot a bit more often than we are used to doing. It reminds me of back when I had my iPhone 5s. I don't remember the iOS version I was running back then but for awhile there were similar hiccups and then Apple straightened it all out eventually.

Both phones were set up new and clean.

Strange. I've had every iPhone except the first one and never ever ever had an Apple app crash. Some cheap third party apps maybe.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I can't speak of the s8 and the VR aspects...that is not an interest of mine. This stops the Samsung bleeding from the N7 debacle but I don't think these new models will drive any significant new sales that much.

The S7/Edge may prove to have new life now after this unveiling.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
No free year of Netflix with Tmobile this time.
Not at launch, but I can guarantee you that promos for this phone will change through the the year. You will see a huge price drop and promo push in late August.
[doublepost=1490813540][/doublepost]
I can't speak of the s8 and the VR aspects...that is not an interest of mine. This stops the Samsung bleeding from the N7 debacle but I don't think these new models will drive any significant new sales that much.

The S7/Edge may prove to have new life now after this unveiling.
Based on sales at my store, the S7 and S7 Edge have sold a ton over the past 2 months. This was due to the price drops (for 1 day the price of an Edge was $360, before going up to $480 for a week and now at $600) and SD card/VR promos. In fact, it is near impossible to keep stock of the Edge or the cases/screen protectors.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Spigen's S8 cases are in stock at Amazon so I ordered the thin version. Not sure if I'll need it, but knowing how the S7 edge feels in the hand I think it'll be good to have a little extra grip on the sides with the curve.

Anyone here caseless with their S7 edge?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Have yet to watch other videos besides Mr. Mobile's.

Here are my initial thoughts:

• Pricing isn't bad for the entry level device since it is around the same price as your standard iPhone 7+ 32gb model.
  • Outside of 6gb RAM, this phone's spec sheet is very much in line with top end phones and sets the bar for many areas like the display and camera.
  • Samsung is really banking on VR, DeX, and other peripherals to enhance the user experience beyond personal smartphone capabilities (calls, texts, web browsing, etc).
  • I don't expect Android 7.0 to ship with the phone. I expect them to put 7.1.1 in devices somehow.
  • The new UI looks different, too sci-fi based. There has to be a way to tone it down.
  • Battery capacity is a sad state because of the Note 7 fiasco.
  • The extra goodies are welcomed for early adopters.
  • The design of the S8/S8+ is just amazing.
  • Time will tell how the 835 processor and latest Exynos offset smaller batteries.
  • Software is up in the air because we heard some commitments towards improving timely update frequency, but have yet to see action.

My biggest what ifs stopping me from getting the S8 right away: pricing and financing options. So far, there is no word from T-Mobile, via twitter/T-Force, regarding a JoD option with a trade in of a S7. There are no updates if they will offer a 2 yr EIP contract with a trade in of the S7 like they did with the iPhone 7/7+. If things go well, I might get one, especially if T-Mobile lets me try the S8 before I send my S7 over to complete the trade in because my lone complaint about my S7 right now is battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.