Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
[doublepost=1490818025][/doublepost]Tmo customers will benefit from Samsung's new connectivity technology in the S8: http://www.phonearena.com/news/galaxy-s8-product-video_id92568

T-Mobile says data speeds will double for some customers using the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ (VIDEO)
This is due to 4x4 MIMO (Multichannel In Multichannel Out) and 256QAM (Quad Amp modulation), which the S7 and S7e both had, combined with the new X16 LTE modem found in the SD 835 chip. This allows for full gig transfer speeds.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
It is strange. I'll see how it goes after the next update. If I'm still having problems I'll set both of my devices up as new again. I was thinking of doing that anyway when the final version of IOS 10 gets released. Give both devices a fresh start.

Getting back to the Samsungs, I see their web site has changed since I got back from picking the kids up. It looks like the colors are missing. On Best Buy I just see silver, black and Orchid. Where did blue and gold go? I need to get caught up with this thread and see what I've missed.

At launch, the US is getting only Midnight Black, Orchid Gray and Arctic Silver.

Reactions: nviz22 and 5105973

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It is strange. I'll see how it goes after the next update. If I'm still having problems I'll set both of my devices up as new again. I was thinking of doing that anyway when the final version of IOS 10 gets released. Give both devices a fresh start.

Getting back to the Samsungs, I see their web site has changed since I got back from picking the kids up. It looks like the colors are missing. On Best Buy I just see silver, black and Orchid. Where did blue and gold go? I need to get caught up with this thread and see what I've missed.
Probably for Asia. My carrier is only offering orchid and black.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Please explain more. o_O

With every Android device I had that you can disable/enable the app drawer ..... when the app draw is enabled, you can't get rid of the "Apps" button/icon.

But on the S8 you can get rid of the "Apps" button/icon with the app drawer enable. As shown in the video, you can swipe up for the app drawer.

Skip to 5:13

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So why is the home button pressure sensitive? What will it do if you press harder?

[doublepost=1490819928][/doublepost]
With every Android device I had that you can disable/enable the app drawer ..... when the app draw is enabled, you can't get rid of the "Apps" button/icon.

But on the S8 you can get rid of the "Apps" button/icon with the app drawer enable. As shown in the video, you can swipe up for the app drawer.

Skip to 5:13

Ohhhhhh, right. Gotcha. I got confused with the App Switcher button.

Yes, that's great. It'll feel more Pixel-like. Though I plan to throw Nova on it anyway.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Too bad this beauty doesn't run iOS. Hope the September reveal of the new iPhone knocks our socks off from a design standpoint.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
So why is the home button pressure sensitive? What will it do if you press harder?

[doublepost=1490819928][/doublepost]

Ohhhhhh, right. Gotcha. I got confused with the App Switcher button.

Yes, that's great. It'll feel more Pixel-like. Though I plan to throw Nova on it anyway.

From the reviews I've watched it seems that the home button only works if hard pressed, unlike the back and app switch buttons. That will help with the transition I suppose, moving from having a physical button to software.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The camera stuff with amazon looks good and the google now like cards too. However I'm really not expecting anything of the voice part as S voice is so dreadful.
I hope google assistant is available but guessing it will be where you just double tap home button as you do as normal.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Please explain more. o_O

[doublepost=1490817879][/doublepost]S8 camera samples: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...G-G6-vs-iPhone-7-frist-camera-samples_id92555

[doublepost=1490818025][/doublepost]Tmo customers will benefit from Samsung's new connectivity technology in the S8: http://www.phonearena.com/news/galaxy-s8-product-video_id92568

T-Mobile says data speeds will double for some customers using the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ (VIDEO)
Yay, it looks like they corrected that albeit slight Aqua tint thing that was driving me bonkers when photographing interior shots. My rich hardwood floors would look greenish. It was one of my weird pet peeves. And now it's cured!

I'll take my S8 in purple, thank you. :p

Ugh, actually I don't know what's going to happen. My options for unlocked look like they'd be restricted to black phones and quite a wait. I can easily get one through my AT&T account since I never officially used them to upgrade my 6S Plus. But I don't know if I want a carrier branded phone.

I wish I could go with T Mobile but I had them on my iPad and could never get a signal where I live and travel unless I wanted to sit out with the birds and ants. :rolleyes:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
From the reviews I've watched it seems that the home button only works if hard pressed, unlike the back and app switch buttons. That will help with the transition I suppose, moving from having a physical button to software.

Seriously? So if you softly press it, it won't take you home? It'll only register a hard press?

No way. That would be idiotic of Samsung to do.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Probably for Asia. My carrier is only offering orchid and black.
Gah! I hate those regional restrictions these Asian companies often do with colors. It seems snooty. Oh well at least I can have purple if I want it. I think my husband was admiring the gold and the blue.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I hope google assistant is available but guessing it will be where you just double tap home button as you do as normal.

They best allow you to customise the bixby button to do something else if they aren't offering the service in the majority of countries, otherwise that button is like a kick in the nuts, reminding you that you are not worthy ...

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Gah! I hate those regional restrictions these Asian companies often do with colors. It seems snooty. Oh well at least I can have purple if I want it. I think my husband was admiring the gold and the blue.
I wanted to gold. Now it looks like I'll have the settle for the grey as it's more interesting than the black. I was only initially interested in the black because of the black front but they all have black fronts.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So I watched carefully a couple of videos and I am positive you can gently tap the home button to bring you home.

Which begs the question, what is the pressure sensitive home button supposed to do?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Eh????? But it has a dedicated button for it on the side?? That's very stupid! Especially considering its price!
Hmm I think that may cost them some sales..

Think I'll still hold out for Apples event, see what the iPhone 8 is all about. To me the S8 looks a bit meh, I've seen it leaked too much I think?
It has other functions which don't require voice activation like the google now like cards and the camera shopping feature.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It looks like a lot of Bixby's functions are tied to partnerships and they might not have had cement all the partnerships yet. Bixby is at heart really a marketing tool if you look at what they showed off about it.

It's a way of Samsung pawning its users to any third party willing to pay Samsung for the privilege of its users data. It's maybe a smart move financially for the company generating more income, but a little bit sneaky for its consumers, especially given the year on year price increases we pay for the hardware.

Reactions: tbayrgs and 5105973

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
So I watched carefully a couple of videos and I am positive you can gently tap the home button to bring you home.

Which begs the question, what is the pressure sensitive home button supposed to do?
I think I saw in one of the videos that you can press the home button wherever you are and it will bring you home even if the button isn't displayed on the screen.

Reactions: JaySoul
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.