Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Oh man, the smallest is 5.8"? No thanks. I guess I'm done with Samsung unless the S9 is smaller and gives a flat screen version. That kinda sucks but that's what they chose to do.
At least this time around they lost one customer.

Last edited:
Reactions: octoberdana and MRU

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Too bad too, was really looking forward to it.

Try Miami Beach since they have a lot of people coming in and out of that area.
[doublepost=1490840605][/doublepost]

Windows Continuum was a feature on the latest flagship Lumias, the one with the Retina scanner on it. Windows doesn't make phones anymore, especially since Nokia's name became synonymous with new Android devices since the name was licensed out.

Reactions: HiDEF

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Try Miami Beach since they have a lot of people coming in and out of that area.
[doublepost=1490840605][/doublepost]

Windows Continuum was a feature on the latest flagship Lumias, the one with the Retina scanner on it. Windows doesn't make phones anymore, especially since Nokia's name became synonymous with new Android devices since the name was licensed out.

Microsoft doesn't make phones anymore. There are at lest two phones that have released since they stopped making them that run Win10M and can do continuum. In fact, they do it better sometimes.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Go black. It's the most classic color and you can't go bad with it. Good to go with a smart watch as well too.

The coral blue S7Edge was nice. Since the front bezel is black on all, I don't know about the black back? We'll see...

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Oh man, the smalist is 5.8"? No thanks. I guess I'm done with Samsung unless the S9 is smaller and gives a flat screen version. That kinda sucks but that's what they chose to do.
I agree. Proves Phil Schiller's point of making phones larger rather than smaller being easier (which, to be fair, Apple is guilty of, too).

5.6" would have been a better choice, but that's just me.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Look at the screen size differences....

Pixel XL 5.5
S8 Plus 6.2
IP 7 Plus 5.5

Capture.JPG

http://mobiledevicesize.com/compare/#679,773,675;1

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Drooling over the return of the Smart Dock which first appeared for the Galaxy Note 2 and now called DeX (Desktop Experience). With Nougat native resizable multiwindow support and enhancements it'll be a truer PC replacement.

Smart Dock (2012)

DeX (2017)
Def getting a dex dock and moving away from my desktop. This little dock and the software behind it could potentially kill the Chromebook.
[doublepost=1490844186][/doublepost]
Look at the screen size differences....
The Pixel and the iPhone looked dated when they were released. They look even more dated now. Both remind me of 2012 smartphones. Huge bezels!!!
[doublepost=1490844308][/doublepost]
Oh man, the smalist is 5.8"? No thanks. I guess I'm done with Samsung unless the S9 is smaller and gives a flat screen version. That kinda sucks but that's what they chose to do.
Why are you looking at screen size and not overall phone footprint? The S8 is smaller than an iPhone 7+, yet has a bigger screen.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I don't think I'll preorder with T-Mobile tonight after all. I think I'm gonna wait it out for the unlocked version from Best Buy (or Samsung themselves? Why aren't they also selling the unlocked version?).

I trust they'll keep up with monthly security updates per their recent promise for the unlocked models. The unlocked S7 just got march security updates, so that's a good start to their new promise. As for getting android O, I understand the android landscape; I won't knock them for being late on that. Besides, touchwiz on top of Android N is so feature-rich and, I presume, good that I'm really not worried about the next android version.

An opportunity to get Samsung hardware unlocked and bloatware-free only a couple of weeks after launch is too good of an offer. I rather not be tied to T-Mobile for anything. And getting it unlocked means I can sell it off later should something else I want come along later this year.

I won't be an early adopter this time, but I very much look forward to the unlocked version.

Overall, I think the S8 is a stunning release and an amazing next-step for not just the galaxy S series, but for smartphones as a whole. Kudos to what Samsung has shown today, and to how far they've come. They continue to improve and flex their hardware and software prowess. It's great someone is pushing the envelope.

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Microsoft doesn't make phones anymore. There are at lest two phones that have released since they stopped making them that run Win10M and can do continuum. In fact, they do it better sometimes.

If that's the case, that goes to show how irrelevant Windows Mobile is/was because I thought Microsoft stopped working with the Lumia and shutdown their future updates with Windows Mobile. Rumors are that they might make a Surface phone though.
[doublepost=1490844898][/doublepost]
The coral blue S7Edge was nice. Since the front bezel is black on all, I don't know about the black back? We'll see...

If you like Coral Blue, wait for it to come into play if you don't like in Europe. Though I am not a fan of companies releasing new colors 6 months later to just generate some more hype. Looking at you, Apple and Samsung.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Def getting a dex dock and moving away from my desktop. This little dock and the software behind it could potentially kill the Chromebook.
[doublepost=1490844186][/doublepost]
The Pixel and the iPhone looked dated when they were released. They look even more dated now. Both remind me of 2012 smartphones. Huge bezels!!!
[doublepost=1490844308][/doublepost]
Why are you looking at screen size and not overall phone footprint? The S8 is smaller than an iPhone 7+, yet has a bigger screen.
I am looking at the overall size of the phone. The iPhone plus is way too big for my liking so this one will be too. I like the size of my GS7. Don't really want to go any bigger than that.
And it doesn't look smaller than the iPhone 7+ at all. Looks about the same to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I don't think I'll preorder with T-Mobile tonight after all. I think I'm gonna wait it out for the unlocked version from Best Buy (or Samsung themselves? Why aren't they also selling the unlocked version?).

I trust they'll keep up with monthly security updates per their recent promise for the unlocked models. The unlocked S7 just got march security updates, so that's a good start to their new promise. As for getting android O, I understand the android landscape; I won't knock them for being late on that. Besides, touchwiz on top of Android N is so feature-rich and, I presume, good that I'm really not worried about the next android version.

An opportunity to get Samsung hardware unlocked and bloatware-free only a couple of weeks after launch is too good of an offer. I rather not be tied to T-Mobile for anything. And getting it unlocked means I can sell it off later should something else I want come along later this year.

I won't be an early adopter this time, but I very much look forward to the unlocked version.

Overall, I think the S8 is a stunning release and an amazing next-step for not just the galaxy S series, but for smartphones as a whole. Kudos to what Samsung has shown today, and to how far they've come. They continue to improve and flex their hardware and software prowess. It's great someone is pushing the envelope.
The main reason I go with TMobile is because of the lack of bloatware. And what you do get are easily deleted.

That said, thanks to Facebook buying Oculus, you'll find the Facebook bloat on all Samsung Smart and Note phones. I hate Facebook, but am forced to keep it enabled on my phone and taking up space.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Anyone try the preorder with VZW tonight? It's showing the S8+ as "Out of stock". lol @samsung if it isn't just a glitch.

Edit - if you select it, it then switches to "preorder" so lol @Me!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

You are missing the point.

If you wanted a phone the size of the S7, you now only have a choice for something akin to the S7e and other 5.5" phablets, which for a lot of people was that bit too big.

I downsized all my phones last year and feel better for it, yet Samsung have now abandoned me, (doubly abandoned if you preferred a flat screen too) and are forcing phablets dimensions on us if we wanted to get an S8, regardless of how much extra screen they have crammed into the body.

For many folks, this will be a problem if they prefer 5" devices dimension wise .

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
5.5" is so 2012 so I'm actually looking forward to 6.2" without making the device physically bigger.

Reactions: Demo Kit

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Def getting a dex dock and moving away from my desktop. This little dock and the software behind it could potentially kill the Chromebook

The Dex dock looks interesting to me too. I wonder if you have full keyboard and mouse functions. Like right click and keyboard shortcuts.

Reactions: blaine07

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You are missing the point.

If you wanted a phone the size of the S7, you now only have a choice for something akin to the S7e and other 5.5" phablets, which for a lot of people was that bit too big.

I downsized all my phones last year and feel better for it, yet Samsung have now abandoned me, (doubly abandoned if you preferred a flat screens too) are forcing phablets dimensions if I wanted to get an S8, regardless of how much screen they have crammed into the body.

For many folks, this will be a problem if they prefer 5" devices dimension wise .
Exactly, and I do prefer the flat screen as well. But unlike many here, I can hold on to my GS7 without going thru a bunch of phones so it isn't a big deal to me. lol.

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I didn't have to hard press. I just simply long pressed. If there is a hidden pressure sensitivity, it was imperceivable to me. Nothing at all like the iphone.

Maybe they are incorrectly assuming that it works with a hard press when it actually works on long press, but there are multiple reviewers making the same claim.
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/15105330/samsung-galaxy-s8-home-button-virtual-vs-hardware

Dieter at The Verge referred to it in his video review and Engadget's review also referred to it as "pressure sensitive."

Dieter Bohn said:
It's kind of like force touch on the iPhone but it's only right here at the very bottom. And so even if you don't see a software home button you can still press hard on that area of the screen and that is going to take you home.

The part of the review about the button starts at 1:14.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The Dex dock looks interesting to me too. I wonder if you have full keyboard and mouse functions. Like right click and keyboard shortcuts.

One difference I noticed in the DeX demonstration video in my previous post is that right mouse click is no longer back button but emulates Windows menu drop down. As far as keyboard shortcuts they demonstrated ^C copy and ^V paste to start.

Reactions: jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Actually, bixby looks really promising. After watching some videos on it, I'm rather impressed by what it can do.

I cannot be the only one.
I like that there seems to be some focus and attempts at restraint with Bixby. They're surely going to grow its capabilities but for now they're focusing on making it do some very specific tasks well instead of trying to outdo Alexa, Siri, and Google at telling you something like Scarlett Johannson's shoe size.

Cynically I can say it's optimized to be a marketing tool, but in practical terms, I've benefitted in the past from Samsung's vast network of partnerships to get cash back and discounts or even freebies. There's an allure there and Samsung's been deft at getting me to part with cash, but in ways that benefit my budget.

I am hoping since the guys that created Siri are behind this, that they are getting to realize their plans and vision at last. It sounds like they were denied that when Steve died since all but one of them quit around the day after Steve's passing.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Popping in to Abu Dhabi in a 4 weeks time want to pick up an Unlocked dual sim version :)

Pre-order starts on the 1st April with 3 colour choices gold, black and grey

Hope we get the dual sim 1st as with the S7 release

galaxy-s8_performance_sim_tray_l.jpg

galaxy-s8_performance_sim_l.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.