Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
So I've managed to connect SAS cables & some drives :). Excuse me pls for low pics quality :).

Attachments

• Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    448.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    446.4 KB · Views: 67

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
Yes. The thick one is SAS, thin - SATA drive from MacBook A1342 (Snow Leopard there, if I remember correctly). Planning to move from HDDs to SSDs, but it's a bit expensive for me to buy 8 SSDs at once :D. Well, I also like sound of starting SAS HDDs at power-on :D.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
BTW, which toolkit fits better for G5 quad?
or
???

flyproductions

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2014
Hadn't tested yet. It seems I have to buy ifixit toolkit & try to work with cooling a bit.
Strange thing - SATA drive with installed Tiger & Tiger Server not shown in boot picker (it is third on SAS channel). But it was when drive was connected to built-in SATA port.
I hab frequent issues in particular wit the rearmost of the ports (#0 ?) to be visible at boot or after. Also the LSI seems to be a bit picky about the disks themselfs.

flyproductions

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2014
So here's just another "final" upgrade to the Quad!

It went from this...

...to this...

sas_setup.jpg

...involving two of these!

They give such a perfect companion to make use of the full potential of these SAS-cards in particular in a Powermac G5, that – again – i could not resist.

Holding two 2.5" SSDs each in one tray...

silverstone_front.jpg

...in very solid metal cases. Even with locks for that "professional server looks", sadly not visible when mounted to the G5.

But only requiering one power plug each!

silverstone_back.jpg

So no additional cables needed, except for data. A perfect match for what the G5 has to offer. Also an on/off-switch is available, if the second drive is not needed.

Sadly they do not 100% follow the formfactor, beeing about 1,5mm too long in the back, causing the lock for the lower tray to not be closeable anymore. So i left both of them open. Held by three cables each, they won't go that far anyway.

I used one of the drives for the main bootdisk, a Sorbet install, one for a standard Leo 10.5.8, along with a backup of the apps and user data and the other two for a RAID 0 mirror of the sorbet disk, which can boot as well.

Main storage for apps and user data is the AHCI-SSD in the PCIe below, which is even faster but sadly not bootable.
So G5 Quad-mass-storage-case should be finally closed by now!

...as long as nobody far more skilled than me gets that FCode driver for AHCI figured.

😁

Last edited:

Tratkazir_the_1st

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2020
Russia, Moscow region
I wish I could buy that enclosures here... :D BTW, does they support SAS drives or SATA-only?
It seems you replaced stock IDE DVD drive with one SATA-conencted? Why not replace it completely with another enclosure, you can get 4 more drives :) (molex-powered, y-type splitter & all is up :) ). I started with 1 such thing, but now 1068E-based controller allows to connect 8 drives :D.

flyproductions

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2014
I wish I could buy that enclosures here... :D BTW, does they support SAS drives or SATA-only?
Yes! Item description says "SAS/SATA-HDD or SSD".
It seems you replaced stock IDE DVD drive with one SATA-conencted?
Yes, it's a BluRay-burning-drive. There are no IDE BluRay-devices.

It is attached to one of the G5's SATA-ports. So bootable too.
Why not replace it completely with another enclosure, you can get 4 more drives :) (molex-powered, y-type splitter & all is up :) ).
Because i just don't need any more drives nor have i any more free PCIe-slots available. The only one not used is blocked by the GPU's cooler.

If i'd need mor space in this machine some day i'd simply swap out the drives for bigger ones.

Last edited:

flyproductions

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2014
Got it. My primariry goal was not space but number of drives, for several OSes :).
Ok, got your point! 😉

But me, i do not intend to use anything else but Leo or Sorbet. Only other option, running this card, could be Tiger Server which i don't even have. I once did a test-install of the Snow Leo Beta. But IMHO it is far from beeing usable on the G5. So i think i will get along nicely with what i have. 😊

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
10.5.8 Kernel Panics and a bunch of stuff scrolls by too fast to be read, but I assume the the LSI driver probing the device. However no useful info for any extension in the backtrace that maybe causing the panic.
This turned out to be an issue with my install of Leopard, KP happening anyway for unknown reasons unrelated to the SAS card or the PCI to PCI-E bridge.

10.5.8 works just fine with the SAS card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.