Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
I understand that Apple can't always publish the specific CVEs addressed, but they usually provide details on fixed CVEs once an update is released to the public.

I mean, if you look at 14.6, there were over 46 CVEs addressed šŸ˜‚

According to Apple's release notes for macOS Sonoma 14.6.1, the update fixes an issue that prevented the enabling or disabling of Advanced Data Protection and includes other 'important bug fixes.' What exactly does Apple mean by 'important bug fixes'? šŸ¤”

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I understand that Apple can't always publish the specific CVEs addressed, but they usually provide details on fixed CVEs once an update is released to the public.

I mean, if you look at 14.6, there were over 46 CVEs addressed šŸ˜‚

According to Apple's release notes for macOS Sonoma 14.6.1, the update fixes an issue that prevented the enabling or disabling of Advanced Data Protection and includes other 'important bug fixes.' What exactly does Apple mean by 'important bug fixes'? šŸ¤”
I suspect this one: https://www.oligo.security/blog/0-0-0-0-day-exploiting-localhost-apis-from-the-browser
;JOOP!

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
I have a follow-up call with Apple next week to discuss updates from their engineering team. Over the weekend, I tested the macOS Sequoia beta, but unfortunately, the issue persists. I decided to downgrade back to macOS Sonoma, but during the process, I encountered a critical problem that bricked the T2 BridgeOS firmware. Initially, I was running firmware version 2069.0.0.0.0 (iBridge: 22.16.10339.5.2,0) and had to downgrade it to version 2022.140.5.0.0 (iBridge: 21.16.6074.0.0,0) in an attempt to resolve the issue. This issue is so infuriating I'll do anything to find a workaround, lol.

Reactions: lfaa and Sciuriware

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I have a follow-up call with Apple next week to discuss updates from their engineering team. Over the weekend, I tested the macOS Sequoia beta, but unfortunately, the issue persists. I decided to downgrade back to macOS Sonoma, but during the process, I encountered a critical problem that bricked the T2 BridgeOS firmware. Initially, I was running firmware version 2069.0.0.0.0 (iBridge: 22.16.10339.5.2,0) and had to downgrade it to version 2022.140.5.0.0 (iBridge: 21.16.6074.0.0,0) in an attempt to resolve the issue. This issue is so infuriating I'll do anything to find a workaround, lol.
And you don't work at/for APPLE yet? Without payment? Admirable!
;JOOP!

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
Haha, thanks! Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a bug with the software or an issue at the driver level for AMD. If itā€™s driver-related, it might take longer to fix. Iā€™ll check if a solution comes out before the M4 MacBook Pro drops; if not, I might just grab one of those. Also, have you noticed any noticeable bugs on your M2 MacBook Pro?

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
It's my understanding that Apple write their own macOS drivers for AMD GPUs and don't rely on AMD to write them. It seems like this red flashing thing is a problem with the drivers for specific generations of GPUs (Vega I & Navi).

Reactions: Lk52461

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
Iā€™m wondering if the Hackintosh crew is running into the same issues with Vega and Navi GPUs. Also, do you think itā€™s possible to just grab the Kext driver from macOS Ventura and slap it onto Sonoma?

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Haha, thanks! Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a bug with the software or an issue at the driver level for AMD. If itā€™s driver-related, it might take longer to fix. Iā€™ll check if a solution comes out before the M4 MacBook Pro drops; if not, I might just grab one of those. Also, have you noticed any noticeable bugs on your M2 MacBook Pro?
My M2 laptop is OK, no issues; my M1 Mac Studio however has a strange issue that can't be a driver matter,
but rather a timing matter: in a huge JAVA application Ā±once in 2 months the icons disappear and come back
when hovered; restarting the application clears all and the problem is gone for a long time.
I mention this, because my old iMac (2013) got the same problem, but persistent, until I recompiled the application
with a very old JAVA version.
My conclusion: we are victims of various timing problems, the worst a programmer can meet with.
;JOOP!

elptdbi3lYI

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2021
Iā€™m wondering if the Hackintosh crew is running into the same issues with Vega and Navi GPUs. Also, do you think itā€™s possible to just grab the Kext driver from macOS Ventura and slap it onto Sonoma?
Run into this occasionally.

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
Looks like
It's my understanding that Apple write their own macOS drivers for AMD GPUs and don't rely on AMD to write them. It seems like this red flashing thing is a problem with the drivers for specific generations of GPUs (Vega I & Navi).

If this is the case, hopefully, Apple can release a fix soon, especially if they are developing their own drivers. How frequently are you experiencing the red flashing, and which apps are you noticing this behaviour in?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This is an interesting thread! I'm also on an Intel with AMD graphics, specifically a 2020 iMac (5700 XT). I've been running OS 14 since it first came out, and until seeing this thread I had no idea that this problem existed, and have never seen the issue. Presumably it's limited to specific hardware rather than a blanket "all AMD GPUs".

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
It appears that the issue primarily affects the Vega and Navi architecture of AMD GPUs. However, it could also be related to specific configurations of Intel-based MacBook Pro models. Upon reviewing discussions on MacRumors, I noted that a similar issue occurred on macOS Mojave with the MacBook Pro 15-inch (2018 model). This issue was subsequently resolved through a point update.

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
Today, I spoke with Apple, and their engineering team requested additional logs. They utilize a tool called Capture Data that collects comprehensive information from the Mac. I was instructed to replicate the issue, which I did. I disabled automatic graphics switching, and immediately, the desktop widget turned red, and there was a red flashing glitch when switching between tabs in Safari. These logs are intended to confirm whether this issue is the same as that reported by previous users!

Reactions: lfaa and Sciuriware

lfaa

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
I have the exact same 'red' bug 15" MBP 2019 intel i9 Radeon Pro 560X IntelUHD Gra 630 1536Mb

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
I had a call with Apple today, which was frustrating as they requested additional troubleshooting steps that seemed to prolong the process. They asked me to connect an external monitor and replicate the issue, which I successfully did. Then, they asked me to perform a fresh install of macOS Sonoma without restoring any apps or Time Machine backups. I completed this on a separate APFS volume and was able to replicate the issue again. More logs were captured and provided to them.

What behavior are you seeing with your apps? I have a follow-up call with Apple tomorrow to discuss the outcome.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I had a call with Apple today, which was frustrating as they requested additional troubleshooting steps that seemed to prolong the process. They asked me to connect an external monitor and replicate the issue, which I successfully did. Then, they asked me to perform a fresh install of macOS Sonoma without restoring any apps or Time Machine backups. I completed this on a separate APFS volume and was able to replicate the issue again. More logs were captured and provided to them.

What behavior are you seeing with your apps? I have a follow-up call with Apple tomorrow to discuss the outcome.
They should put you on the pay-roll, or give you a bonus.
;JOOP!

ufukty

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2024
I'm not sure if they are going to actually fix the driver issue but since you put a lot of effort, I wanted to contribute by sharing footages to support your claim this issue is not special to a customer.

I've started to experience 2 graphics issues after updating from 14.2 to 14.5. So I think they are related. The one issue with display can't decide the brightness occurs in Safari (multiple sites, full screen) and TV app. But not IINA or Chrome. The issue with red fills only occurs momentarily in Safari and O.S. menu bar. Only happens in discrete GPU. Only happens in switching to a tab that is for the first time and completed its loading in background.

Edit: there is 2 videos in below one is embedded another is link.

Attachments

• RED.m4v
    72.4 MB · Views: 0

galad

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2022
That's an HDR video, Safari will enable macOS EDR mode and display it using the nits it needs. It's working as intended.

Edit: oh actually yeah if the brightness changes like that it's probably yet another windows server issue.

Last edited:

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
So, you're thinking this issue might be more isolated to HDR and how it adjusts the brightness, which could be causing the problem. It's a shame they don't provide an option to turn it off. I also tried changing color profiles, turning off True Tone, and adjusting the display contrast, but the issue persists.

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
I'm not sure if they are going to actually fix the driver issue but since you put a lot of effort, I wanted to contribute by sharing footages to support your claim this issue is not special to a customer.

I've started to experience 2 graphics issues after updating from 14.2 to 14.5. So I think they are related. The one issue with display can't decide the brightness occurs in Safari (multiple sites, full screen) and TV app. But not IINA or Chrome. The issue with red fills only occurs momentarily in Safari and O.S. menu bar. Only happens in discrete GPU. Only happens in switching to a tab that is for the first time and completed its loading in background.

Edit: there is 2 videos in below one is embedded another is link.
View attachment 2406252
Yeah, it's a shame they haven't addressed this issue, especially since it's more widespread. At least I'm not the only one dealing with it. These AMD GPUs have always been a headache for Mac users.

Reactions: ufukty

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
I was reviewing the release notes for macOS Sequoia Beta 6 and found some encouraging news. While it doesn't directly address the graphical issue, it shows that Apple is still actively working on optimizing Intel Macs, which is a positive sign.

Power

Resolved Issues

• Fixed: Users with default wallpaper (macOS Beta) on Intel laptops with an AMD GPU might see elevated battery drain, device temperatures, and fan noise. (128623427)

Lk52461

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2021
Sydney, New South Wales
For now, I'll be using sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0 to set the GPU to integrated. āš™ļø When I want automatic switching, I'll set it to 2, or to 1 for the discrete GPU as needed. This is just a workaround until Apple gets their act together. šŸ¤ž

lfaa

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
For now, I'll be using sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0 to set the GPU to integrated. āš™ļø When I want automatic switching, I'll set it to 2, or to 1 for the discrete GPU as needed. This is just a workaround until Apple gets their act together. šŸ¤ž
What is the default value?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.