Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Do you have a cellular watch ? I think this issue tends to be seen on cellular series 3 watches - one thread I saw suggested it is connected to connecting / disconnecting from wifi through the phone.

Yes, cellular series 3, 42mm aluminum 3 years old.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Yes I have the Series 3 GPS + Cellular with an active cellular plan and it upgraded on the first try from WatchOS 6 to 7 Thursday night.

Dave

Undertakercl

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2011
Non celullar here, changed kaleidoscope face to activity one and running ok throughout today. The only change I’ve made to its configuration and seems to be running without issues so far. Ill keep you posted.

MPclk2006

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
Well guess i am glad my watch apparently does not have enough space (3.1GB) for the OS7 update. I dont know how it cant have space if I dont keep anything in it like music or anything.

Reactions: SR 7 and cygnusjen

GTBunsman

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
I was having the same restarting issues with my Series 3 after updating to Watch OS 7. I contacted Apple Support and they recommended that I unpair and re-pair the watch. They said it will install a Factory Fresh version of OS7 and it should resolve the issues. I will give it a run for a day and post an update.

Reactions: jw77777

Dan East

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
To answer other's questions, my watch is non-cellular, 2.7 GB free. Also, in order to free up space to upgrade, I had to unpair the watch and re-pair it.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
At least 4 reboots today. Series 3 Stainless Steel. No animated watch face. Very frustrating to finish a workout and find that at some point watch rebooted and remained locked for most of my workout. Before watchOS 7, watch ran flawlessly.

Reactions: hydrolic11

Rok Purg

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2020
I have a aluminium S3 42mm in silver. I noticed that the reboot only happens if I don’t have my iphone with me. Or if it drops connection with my phone (Xs). My girlfriend has the same watch in space grey and iphone 11 pro. And same problem. Without the phone 3-4 reboots, with phone everything is working fine.
Waiting for a new update. Hope it helps.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have a aluminium S3 42mm in silver. I noticed that the reboot only happens if I don’t have my iphone with me.

Interesting, i have seen another thread where the suggestion is the issue appears to relate to when the watch changes connection to WiFi through the iPhone to a direct connection.

Maxi-simba!

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
Same problem. Last time was after taking a call on watch (non cellular). Today I used Strava app and while running app paused as if I was stopped. No relevant features with watch os7 and the old feature “ just works” gone. I want my old watch back. How can I downgrade?

bubbagump9

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
Same problem. Apple Watch Series 3 Cellular. I have 3-4 reboot through the day, always near my Iphone 11. No problem with memory.

Mahasamatman

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
Space grey series 3 42mm with GPS no cellular and I had my second shutdown today. I had to reset the watch and re-pair it to get the upgrade to install so it’s not like there’s old config hanging around.

Reactions: cygnusjen

gonpostal

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
Mine is doing that too, randomly.

Also, the volume control for headphones is very erratic, appearing as a grey bar when the crown is turned, but having no effect, unless you are insistent, then it adjusts the volume up or down -- sort-of. It's a frustrating game because the volume jumps around while you are doing this once it turns green.

gonpostal

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
Doesn’t explain why there are folk out there with perfectly happy Series 3 watches. Including myself and my 3 year old series 3.

There has to be another reason that’s more user/environmental based that’s causing these issues.

Nope, my usage routine hasn't changed a bit.

Jammyb

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
my wife updated her Series3 to OS7 this week.

its rebooted twice so far today.

its a non cellular one.

i've noticed its rebooting when the phone is in the house somewhere and she goes outside/away/out of range of the phone.

could that be a clue?

H3m

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
I have the same problem. It reboots at least two times a day since I upgraded. In my case it always had a connection to my phone when it happened.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I have a Series 3 cellular 42mm that I've had for 3 years. It has watchOS 7 installed. On Friday, I drove to the Apple store to pick up a Series 6. After parking my car, i noticed that the Series 3 wasn't functioning at all. There was nothing on the display and no button presses would wake it. I thought that this was an amazing coincidence that the watch would fail just as I was buying a new one. But after a couple of minutes, the watch booted up. I thought maybe my watch was upset that I was replacing it with someone younger.

In the three years I had the Series 3, it's rebooted a number of times and I just lived with that. But this was the first time I can recall that it showed no signs of life. I haven't used the Series 3 since Friday (I turned it off), so I don't know if this is a continuing problem.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
Well guess i am glad my watch apparently does not have enough space (3.1GB) for the OS7 update. I dont know how it cant have space if I dont keep anything in it like music or anything.

Just unpair and then repair. Worked for me.

Seems like, at least on the forum, the reboot problem is fairly wide spread. So far my GPS only Series 3 has been reboot free. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: mguzzi

ExAndroidUsr

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2020
42mm S3 GPS and same... 3rd reboot today and also noticed that sometimes when I want to skip songs in spotify the name of the song is lagging behind the actual song that is playing.

Last edited:

chrislutes

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
I’ve been having the reboot issues as well, I have the series 3 with cellular. My battery health is fine, prior to this update I had no issues.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Chiming in, my otherwise perfect S3 (GPS-only model) has had 2 reboots and one complete shutdown since installing WatchOS 7. Hope Apple fixes this soon because other than this major flaw WatchOS 7 has been a great upgrade on my end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.