Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoJoe

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2020
Same issue here. Constant rebooting after updating - worked perfectly prior to update to watchOS 7.0 with my series 3 (non cellular). Apple support agent was a complete jerk and told me it was a hardware issue (yea right !), that it’s out of warranty, and I would have to pay for a tech to look at it. I’m about done with Apple and their games.

Reactions: atmenterprises

magero

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2019
Same by me. Apple Watch 3 42mm Case, i install watch os 7.1 for developers, even this update does not correct the bug. Apple watch Continually rebooting. :( Switching off the heart rate monitor also not solving the problem.

Last edited:

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
Mine was okay yesterday even when I left the house and the watch wasn't connected to wifi. I also managed a workout without the phone on Sunday too. But on other days it will restart 3-4 times a day, always when I'm away from home.

techietechie

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
Here is how i got it working
I did a hard reboot by pressing two side buttons
I remove third party apps and so far no reboot

ExAndroidUsr

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2020
I did install the latest public beta on the watch and it still does reboot itself. BTW I also have issues with my 11 Pro after the latest public beta. The top part of the screen is hardly reacting to touches. It is a chore TBH

Lasse N

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
Same here, Series 3-GPS, mine reboots ones a day (that I know) and Im not getting any haptic notifications.
Volume control for headphones is very weird, appearing as a grey bar when the crown is turned.

Last edited:

techietechie

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
this is my guess but i notice my iphone ask for how data is hanlde.
Like app can access local lan and how amazon photo backup should le k now what it should upload.
I think it's the same for Apple watch something new security features that third party might not handle it well.
So far no reboot after hard reboot and remove most of my third party apps

daniszwarc

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
Do you have a cellular watch ? I think this issue tends to be seen on cellular series 3 watches - one thread I saw suggested it is connected to connecting / disconnecting from wifi through the phone.
Mine has the issue and it’s not cellular.

techietechie

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
of course I have the cellular 3 and my watch was rebooting like a mad man
i power it off and waiting for update for fix it but i got sick of waiting and try figure to fix it myself
did little bit of google and use the solution of past random reboot after upgrade
so far no reboot and stable

daniszwarc

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
my wife updated her Series3 to OS7 this week.

its rebooted twice so far today.

its a non cellular one.

i've noticed its rebooting when the phone is in the house somewhere and she goes outside/away/out of range of the phone.

could that be a clue?
It happens to mine even with my phone right next to it.

techietechie

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
at random time when i'm looking at watch it was in process of reboot
than I knew this was a bad updates.

Albertbigndaft

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2020
Hi All, just popping in to let you know that my Series 3 has been doing this since I installed OS7 (Chome series 3, 42mm with Cellular) and resetting it completely last night and setting it back up from scratch seems to have resolved at least this issue. It hasn't restarted at all this morning although now it won't attach to my MBP for unlocking - still looking into that.

I had an issue with mine not unlocking the MacBook. Tried all sorts to no avail Then cleared off out, giving up. Came back a few hours later, switched the MacBook back on and it showed a popup, asking if I wanted to allow the watch to unlock it. Seems I just needed to be patient...which I thought I was...to a point it appears...

auh

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
My S3 restarts atleast twice a day since os7 was installed...but I ordered an S6 before os7 was out so guess I don't have to worry about it for much longer

Albertbigndaft

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2020
Mine is a gps only version. A few years old but looks in good order.
It was fine before os7.
I also have a month old SE iPhone.
I realised the watch had rebooted over the weekend a couple of times when I noticed it needed the pin code. I initially assumed then that it had lost contact or something, to end up locked.
I wasn’t a long way from the phone or Wi-fi but looking at other forum notes I thought they could’ve been issues.
I re-set the watch to other backups a couple of times but still problems.
The same happened after I re-set it as though it was a new watch.

Also it rebooted if I tried the battery power reserve (just trying it out to be honest). It goes into that mode ok but dies if I tried to come out of it.

Yesterday I had 4 reboots within 4 hours so eventually an online chat with an apple rep revealed there were no apparent hardware issues with the watch.
They suggested I reset all phone settings and to reach out again if the problem persisted.

To date that seems to have done the job. No more uninitiated reboots (though I pushed it a little - see below).

It meant I had a lot of customising to do again to get it how I wanted it. Shame but I want it to work normally again.

It still reboots it I try the battery reserve - when I try to get out of that mode by pressing and holding the side button, as advised on the settings app...so I won’t use that option...
I‘ve so far only added a 3rd party steps complication. There are also two more 3rd party apps installed.

I’ll have to see how it goes. I’m still assuming an update will be needed to fix the problem and convince me the os isn’t too much for the series 3 - especially as apple are still selling them...

daniszwarc

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2020
I’ve been having this issue since the first beta. I thought I’d solved it by deleting all my watch faces but now it is back. I have a s3 lte.

It’s definitely linked to Wi-Fi as I found it seems to do it when I leave my house.
I was in holiday last week in a house with weak Wi-Fi and it was doing it 10 times a day.
This makes sense. Every time it happened to my watch, I was outside. Never happened while at home.

hydrolic11

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
lol... same issue/symptom for me. Registered an account just to post a "me too".

I have noticed, that indeed it seems to occur, when I'm outside, vs inside

clau_logo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
Hey,
My Apple Watch 3 Gps only was rebooting 3-4 times per day after WatchOS installation and now after some apps updates just a single reboot. Hope Apple will figure it out cause it’s the first watchOS with plenty of bugs.

jjDevt

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2020
having the same issue, 5 reboots since watchOS 7 came out. Probably had one or two random reboots during the three years before.

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
After a couple of days without rebooting, it happened whilst I was asleep last night whilst I was wearing the watch. Woke up to find it had restarted.

W4cnv

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2017
My S3 watch has pretty much become unusable. I’ve wiped and reinstalled os7 and it still reboots several times a day. It’s basically became a useless bracelet at this point.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Both my 42mm GPS Series 3 (clean install) and my daughter's 38mm GPS Series 3 are suffering the same bug. I first noticed just finding my watch randomly locked while on my wrist. Then I caught it restarting yesterday. My daughter's restarted last night. I haven't updated my wife's 40mm GPS Series 4 yet, so I don't know if the issue impacts that series at this time. Batteries have been between 50% and full when the issue occurred for us, so it isn't just dying.

clau_logo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
I think that are some apps causing this bug. I unnistall all the apps and it restarted 3 times. I forced restart it, pair it and unpair it, with no luck. But yesterday it just rebooted 1 time. Today 2 times and in the 2 nd reboot i gave him a forced restart and till now it’s ok. The 2nd reboot took place today at 2pm. My opinion is that there is an app which didn’t get an update to fix this. I’ll keep you informed if there will be a solution to this. I use the apple watch 3 with an Iphone 11 Pro Max and airpods 1st release.

Ron P.

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
Yep! Same issue! Apple Watch 3. Just did today’s newest update hoping it fixes the problem.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Mine is only a few months old and I’ve had around 10 crash/reboots since upgrading to iOS 7. Have two watch faces. Neither animated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.