Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the iPad become a Mac Replacement?

• Yes - the iPad should become a general Mac replacement

Votes: 38 12.6%
  • Yes - the iPad should become a Mac laptop replacement

Votes: 53 17.5%
  • No - the iPad should stick to the original design intent

Votes: 171 56.6%
  • I don’t have a preference for what the iPad evolves into

Votes: 40 13.2%

• Total voters

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
OP: There's already a 5,000,000 page long pinned thread regarding this topic. It's been litigated and re-litigated over and over since 2010. The only result of this conversation is that people who prefer iPads still prefer iPads and people who prefer Macs still prefer Macs. Everyone will end up more convinced their way is right, not less convinced.

If YOU can use an iPad in YOUR life to replace YOUR Mac for YOUR workflows, that's great. I certainly use mine every day in tandem with my Macs rather than instead of my Macs. I have also done my job only on an iPad for days at a time. It's really not as complicated these days as people like to make it sound.

I think in the end, it's people just being insecure about their choices and having FOMO about new tech. During the years when iPad advances were explosive for each new release, people felt insecure about their Macs because they thought Apple didn't care about them anymore. When Apple Silicon Macs came out, people felt insecure about their iPad Pros because they thought Apple was forgetting about the iPad and refocusing on the Mac.

It's really just tribalism, FOMO, and people thinking their use cases and workflows are the only way to do things. Best to just pay this topic no mind and just use the device that's right for your own life. Don't worry about what Apple or anyone else says.
This topic has been extremely repetitive. I see it like this: a very small group of power users who want (incorrectly, imo), the iPad to be a Mac. The vast majority of laypeople do not want that, and a vast majority of iPad power users don’t want that either - if you want a Mac, buy a Mac.

This topic has become, like you said, a circular matter: a minority of power users who want macOS on the iPad, and the rest of us who don’t.

Enthusiast forums tend to gravitate to this: I’m part of the extremely small minority who wants Apple to allow downgrading and a person who never updates anything. You won’t find laypeople who do this, and even among the enthusiasts here, I’m an extreme minority.

I guess this topic will keep coming up if Apple stays the course on iPads - which frankly, I hope they do.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
As others pointed out this comes up often and the term "laptop replacement" should really get reworded. Everyone's needs are different in a laptop and many that only used their laptop for web browsing and social media like Facebook, Myspace, Messengers, they have already swapped to their phone/tablet. The ones who can already use a mobile setup use that already, and the ones that can't are the ones that do things that require large amounts of storage, transfer speeds since cables are much faster even though airdrop is good and all, or require various special programs that just are not available or highly limited on the iPad.

Are we getting their year-over-year? sure, but even though we are getting closer and closer with the various niches we are not in other ways. For instance Photography, there are good highly capable apps on the app store now for iPads, the problem though storage. Sure you can go out and buy a 1tb and that will cost you some big bucks, but realistcally what is 1tb going to do for you? so now you need more storage and sure you can plug in your external drive, but depending on your setup you may need one dongle for the usb-c to sd card to transfer photos to the ipad then your external drive to copy from the ipad to the external storage. This is just photography and a rather simple workflow at that, things currently are more video centric and many of the niches i listed require either multiple things plugged in, or a more robust multitasking system in place.

The iPad as a laptop replacement for the majority sure, but we have a while before desktops/laptops are a thing of the past.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
@spiderman0616, I agree 100% couldn’t have said it better. I saw that thread. I wanted to gauge the proportion of those wanting the iPad to be a Mac replacement vs those wanting an iPad to be an iPad so I posted a Poll with background to highlight iPad design intent and try to limit the degrees of freedom in interpreting poll options.
Totally get it, and I did vote, because I thought the options would actually give some useful stats.

I was using the iPad Pro as my main device for years. I didn't give up on it because it was bad, I gave up on it because Apple Silicon Macs were what I was waiting for for years. But having a Mac and NOT an iPad didn't feel right to me. There are things that are undeniably better and easier on an iPad than a Mac. As long as that's the case, I'll either own both or want to own both.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The iPad as a laptop replacement for the majority sure, but we have a while before desktops/laptops are a thing of the past.
I remember when laptops started becoming more affordable, and subsequently more common. It was being shouted from the rooftops that they're going to replace desktops. You could argue that they largely have at this point, but look how many years it's been!

This is the trajectory I see for iPad and all the other post-Mac devices. One day we're all going to wake up and realize we don't need the Mac anymore. If I'm being honest, I don't do anything (other than gaming) that pushes my Mac to its limits and I myself probably don't even really need a Mac.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Since I started working from home, I use a Mac Mini. I hardly ever use my laptop anymore. I'm not even sure where it is at the moment.

I still use my iPad though. Mostly for web, mail and media consumption.

So...I guess it is fair to say my iPad has replaced my laptop.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But it still cost more than the MacBook
And this is why I think iPad should be able to boot into MacOS when attached to Magic Keyboard. When Tim Cook announced that iPads were getting the M chip, I expected Apple to start merging iPadOS and MacOS, but so far, there's been little movement in that direction.

Personally, I'm very happy with the iPad as it currently is, but as another poster said, those that need a laptop AND a tablet are currently forced to buy two devices. The iPad with magic keyboard is physically a laptop, but it doesn't run laptop OS. Trying to use that as a laptop is frustrating, for all the reasons yet another poster has stated.

So I find Apple's current vision for the iPad very confusing. The M chip, magic keyboard, and pricing seems to indicate that the iPad is intended as a laptop replacement, but the OS isn't a laptop OS.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I remember when laptops started becoming more affordable, and subsequently more common. It was being shouted from the rooftops that they're going to replace desktops. You could argue that they largely have at this point, but look how many years it's been!

This is the trajectory I see for iPad and all the other post-Mac devices. One day we're all going to wake up and realize we don't need the Mac anymore. If I'm being honest, I don't do anything (other than gaming) that pushes my Mac to its limits and I myself probably don't even really need a Mac.
Same, I play a few games on my Mac and do more photo and video work and for me it is the storage and multitasking heck that is why I even went from M1 to M2 was basically for the SD card slot back and now I am happy. For what I need a laptop for still I can have my SD card and my External SSD connected while transferring files from the SD to the SSD and to my NAS at the same time and I couldn't do that on the iPad currently, but yeah when I am not doing a niche thing I pretty much just use the iPad

Reactions: heretiq

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Since I started working from home, I use a Mac Mini. I hardly ever use my laptop anymore. I'm not even sure where it is at the moment.

I still use my iPad though. Mostly for web, mail and media consumption.

So...I guess it is fair to say my iPad has replaced my laptop.
@monstermash I felt the same way at the outset of the pandemic and loved using my M1 Mac mini and iPad Pro during that period — then I started traveling again and now my M1 Max MacBook Pro and iPad Pro are center stage. So the moral of the story for me is different devices for different seasons.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The iPad is not a Mac. It is a complement to the Mac.
Yes, but in the same way that a PC is a complement to the Mac. One does not require a Mac in order to get full use of an iPad OR PC.
So, given that background, do you think the iPad should become a Mac replacement or stay true to its original design intent?
As far as a “computing device” is concerned (not necessarily one that runs a specific OS, more like one that does things computers are known for doing, like surfing the web, checking email, etc.) the iPad is already that for millions. And is on track for being that for millions more by the end of the year.

In my opinion it’ll never replace the Mac. It’s sold quite well so far without an effort to replace Macs, so I don’t figure they’ll start now.

However, that’s not rejecting the idea that, as Apple continues it’s work to save money on the production of Macs (using hardware from non-Macs to create new Macs), it wouldn’t surprise me if some future Mac was just an iPad form factor that runs macOS only. THAT may replace the Mac.

Last edited:

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
So the moral of the story for me is different devices for different seasons.

Which is really amazing when you think about it. I mean - who would have EVER guessed that completely different tools would have completely different purposes - or the possibility that different people would use different things different ways. It's ALMOST as if not everything is the same!! Incredible.

• Haha

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
The iPad was originally intended as a portable machine for people with desktops who didn't want or need to shell out for a laptop or use a phone. Back then you could still buy a Macbook or iMac under $1000.

As its capabilities improved the iPad moved from an accessory to occupy the $300, $500 and $700 price points on Apple's computing scale. For a user after a straightforward computing experience the Base and Air models are a competitive offer compared to similarly priced Chrome and Windows devices. You cannot now buy a new Macbook or iMac for under $1000.

They still work as accessories but more and more people buy them as their only computer. If they became Macs they would lose their USP. If you want a Mac, buy one.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Unless the iPad Pro gets the ability to dualboot macOS, no. iPadOS is terrible for using like a laptop and Apple constantly trying to make the iPad a laptop replacement has been stupid and ineffective. "What's a computer?"

Either put macOS on the iPad Pro, or just let the iPad be a tablet. It's not rocket science.
Ineffective? Have you looked at iPad sales? The often misunderstood tagline ‘’what’s a computer’ isn’t trying to say the iPad can replace macos or a traditional computer for anyone. It’s trying to say you don’t necessarily need a ‘computer‘. This, whilst ridiculed on this site - is actually hugely understood by the many many people that actually do not need a ‘computer’. Let’s bear in mind the vast majority of casual computer use is perfectly suitable, if not better suited, to an iPad like device.

I don’t think apple has ever tried to make the iPad a laptop replacement. And I do believe that apple ARE in fact trying to let the iPad just be a tablet.

So really, nothing that you have says bears resemblance to reality, just a weird reverse view on already skewed views on sites like this.

Look outside. No one cares.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Ineffective? Have you looked at iPad sales? The often misunderstood tagline ‘’what’s a computer’ isn’t trying to say the iPad can replace macos or a traditional computer for anyone. It’s trying to say you don’t necessarily need a ‘computer‘. This, whilst ridiculed on this site - is actually hugely understood by the many many people that actually do not need a ‘computer’. Let’s bear in mind the vast majority of casual computer use is perfectly suitable, if not better suited, to an iPad like device.

I don’t think apple has ever tried to make the iPad a laptop replacement. And I do believe that apple ARE in fact trying to let the iPad just be a tablet.

So really, nothing that you have says bears resemblance to reality, just a weird reverse view on already skewed views on sites like this.

Look outside. No one cares.

Cool bro. I still want a macOS mode on the iPad Pro.

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
My feeling is the iPad is best as an on-the-go device for primarily light tasks like email, small doc, browsing, etc.

As soon as you start adding things like a keyboard, mouse, etc. you end up with a package that is close in weight and bulk to a MacBook Air or even an MBPro 14" with some of the heavier keyboard/case combos.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The iPad is not a Mac. It is a complement to the Mac. Expecting it to do the things a Mac is designed to do as well as the Mac appears to be a major reason for disappointment with the iPad.
Exactly you use it compliment either a iPhone or a Mac for something that works well for what it is designed for. Yes I use all of those for comparisons. The iPad mini 6 is what I find a very useful smaller then Mac but larger then iPhone to watch media or casual web usage. Applications are used sometimes.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
The same threads with the same arguments from both sides, over and over and over again.

If the iPad’s not enough for you, buy a Mac. It’s that simple to me.
You can request the mods add it to one of the other long running threads like this one.

Reactions: heretiq and Ludatyk

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Cool bro. I still want a macOS mode on the iPad Pro.
Why? Because of the touch screen? Why not demand a touch screen mac? As is repeated often an ipad with the necessary mac peripherals is heavier and more cumbersome. At this point surely a mac is better? Or else a fork of macOS is probably the way forwards. By the way iPadOS is just that. I don’t know how else an iPad with macOS could be useful. I use my iPad exactly like this using various solutions- but none of them work well without a keyboard or other traditional specific peripherals. Even the oft touted superior surface is a computer first, a tablet second.

I wish sidecar was more advanced, for example an app, that one can launch on the iPad to get to the Mac, including rdp, but I still don’t think macOS on the iPad as a ‘mode’ would work as well as people think.

I would like an inexpensive Mac mini built into a keyboard type device like that raspberry pi model, that acts as a hub.

Last edited:

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
The same threads with the same arguments from both sides, over and over and over again.

If the iPad’s not enough for you, buy a Mac. It’s that simple to me.
Reframed - will Apple release a new Mac with iPadOS features -OR- a new iPad with MacOS features? And will folks actually buy this new FrankenMac (or FrankenPad)?

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
This is not the right question imo. And I'm still amazed that this is still a thing.

Some people, me included, would love that the iPad - especially the iPad Pro advertised as "what's a computer?" - can do more things (pro apps, being able to develop, you name it). There are countless threads about that and countless reviews pointing to the fact that iPadOS is not a match for M-equipped iPads.

But does that mean that those same people want the iPad to become a Mac? Of course not, that's not what they're saying. They're just saying "iPadOS is limited, we want more". That's different from saying "we want the iPad to be something else". Why is this not understood as of yet?

Reactions: Night Spring

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Ten, twenty years from now, will there even be a need for legacy systems like Windows and macOS? iPad is very slowly on its way to becoming a Mac replacement, and is one for many people including myself. Feature-wise, it still has a ways to go before ever replacing a Mac.

Once proper tools like Xcode, Blender, Finder, desktop versions of Photoshop and Illustrator come over, it’ll open the iPad to become a replacement for even more people. And gradually, we’ll see even more applications and features appear.

Before the M1 Macs, people were sure this was where we were headed a lot sooner than later - phasing out Macs and focusing on iPhone and iPad development.

Macs and iPads still have their separate places right now, but I can also see an iOS-powered desktop coming at some point in the future - hopefully when the OS is ready to become a complete Mac replacement.

rnb2

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2006
West Haven, CT, USA
I'd say Apple changed the design intent definitely with the iPad Pro 11 inch (2018) and possibly before that with the 12.9 inch iPad Pros. The lean-back use cases are simply not as nice on the iPad Pro 2018. The weight distribution, the sharp/squared edges make it much less comfortable than the iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro 9.7 inch that came before it for content consumption in the lean-back posture. The design itself appears to shift towards landscpape use, increasingly with a keyboard. The mainstream iPad itself now follows its design.
I'm surprised at how many people either don't realize this, or don't care. Along with the changes you mentioned, the switch to the magnetic case back (for the Magic Keyboard, as we found out 18 months later) led to the "metal plate inside" Smart Folio (vs the previous Smart Cover), making for a substantially heavier overall package that is no longer nearly as easy to hold for long stretches of time. The Smart Cover was a genius product, and barely exists any more (and not at all for "current" models). If your primary use for an iPad is content consumption, along with light email/messaging, the current lineup is substantially less well-suited to the task, as everything has been compromised to prioritize attaching a keyboard.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
My feeling is the iPad is best as an on-the-go device for primarily light tasks like email, small doc, browsing, etc.

As soon as you start adding things like a keyboard, mouse, etc. you end up with a package that is close in weight and bulk to a MacBook Air or even an MBPro 14" with some of the heavier keyboard/case combos.

Yeah, but unlike those devices, with an iPad you can leave those add-ons behind when desired and have just a tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.