Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the iPad become a Mac Replacement?

• Yes - the iPad should become a general Mac replacement

Votes: 38 12.6%
  • Yes - the iPad should become a Mac laptop replacement

Votes: 53 17.5%
  • No - the iPad should stick to the original design intent

Votes: 171 56.6%
  • I don’t have a preference for what the iPad evolves into

Votes: 40 13.2%

• Total voters

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
These kinds of threads always gets the inevitable:
  • if you want a Mac, buy a Mac (leave the iPad alone)
  • why should I buy and carry 2 devices when I can have 1
  • the iPad has already replaced a laptop for me
  • etc etc. and all the variations of the same opinions.

I think there are a couple of basic aspects to consider.
  1. Those who already do everything with the iPad, are fine with how iPadOS and its apps are now, so case closed for them.
  2. Those who are fine with having multiple devices (each for its purpose) are also fine with the current situation (although some may not say no to having more hardware/software features)
  3. Those who want more from the iPad to replace what the do with a laptop totally or to a greater extent, have basically 2 kind of requests:
A. improve iPadOS and give us more desktop apps (no MacOS)​
B. give us MacOS in dual boot or virtualised (I won't even consider those wanting MacOS instead of iPadOS, those people are such a minority that don't need to be considered IMO)​

For group A, I say, don't think it's so easy for Apple to improve iPadOS, you are understimating how hard is to turn a mobile OS (especially a closed one like IOS) into a more desktop-like OS, just like it's not easy to turn a desktop OS into a touch friendly one. So don't be to hard on Apple engineers, it's a very hard task, it takes years. And convincing developers to port their desktop apps is far from easy either (and bringing FCP and Logic makes little difference in the great scheme of things).
For group B I say that's much easier, but Apple has not enough financial incentive to compete so directly with Macs, so unlikely unless they can find some special hardware (maybe a 16in iPad pro or some foldable) that is at least as expensive as a MacBook and iPad pro combined ($2000 minimum)
My idea has been for years to make a (Magic) Keyboard Mac (with the guts of a Mac Mini), on which an iPad pro could be docked and run MacOS via Sidecar automatically.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I think the iPad was great when it was SSD and instant on and MacBooks and computers had slow moving mechanical drives. Now everything is SSD its a pointless argument.

I’ve started to like and use my iPad more lately but i still prefer a mac. I think the iPad is great for kids and older people who aren’t use to computers And of course designer/arty types who like to draw on them.

Reactions: singleshard

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think the iPad was great when it was SSD and instant on and MacBooks and computers had slow moving mechanical drives. Now everything is SSD its a pointless argument.

I’ve started to like and use my iPad more lately but i still prefer a mac. I think the iPad is great for kids and older people who aren’t use to computers And of course designer/arty types who like to draw on them.

More than those limited cases - I find the M1 12.9 to be great for video editing and for RAW image processing when I'm traveling (not to mention the usual email, browsing, reading, etc.). It's more than just a device for those with limited computer knowledge.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
@teh_hunterer I think the gap between the Mac and iPad is deliberate and reflects Apple’s multi-device with overlapping/complementary functionality vision. The expectation is for users to embrace the multi-device model and cover the gap by using their preferred device for each use case.

I’ve largely embraced this multi-device paradigm and am happy with the results, but it is evident that many are struggling to bridge that gap with one device. The struggle will likely continue even after Apple chooses to create that gap device as there also seems to be many different preferences for how that device should work (e.g., touch screen Mac vs MacOS on iPad, etc.).

I think it's deliberate also. But even owning an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro as I do, I don't think the multi device setup is ideal compared to what Apple could make if they decided to.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Yes, but in the same way that a PC is a complement to the Mac. One does not require a Mac in order to get full use of an iPad OR PC.

As far as a “computing device” is concerned (not necessarily one that runs a specific OS, more like one that does things computers are known for doing, like surfing the web, checking email, etc.) the iPad is already that for millions. And is on track for being that for millions more by the end of the year.

In my opinion it’ll never replace the Mac. It’s sold quite well so far without an effort to replace Macs, so I don’t figure they’ll start now.

However, that’s not rejecting the idea that, as Apple continues it’s work to save money on the production of Macs (using hardware from non-Macs to create new Macs), it wouldn’t surprise me if some future Mac was just an iPad form factor that runs macOS only. THAT may replace the Mac.
Well said. I think the future is bright for innovation of the iPad and Mac platforms and some of it will be fueled by cross-pollination. The cost saving vector definitely makes sense. I hope weight reduction is also in the cards. In addition, I suspect that Apple is working on some Mac-specific silicon to propel Mac desktops into ultra-high performance workstation / super computer territory. If/when this happens I hope/expect some of it to trickle down to the iPad Pro to unlock some use cases that are currently not feasible.

Reactions: singleshard

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Which is really amazing when you think about it. I mean - who would have EVER guessed that completely different tools would have completely different purposes - or the possibility that different people would use different things different ways. It's ALMOST as if not everything is the same!! Incredible.
Love it! Thanks for the chuckle @monstermash 😂

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Ineffective? Have you looked at iPad sales? The often misunderstood tagline ‘’what’s a computer’ isn’t trying to say the iPad can replace macos or a traditional computer for anyone. It’s trying to say you don’t necessarily need a ‘computer‘. This, whilst ridiculed on this site - is actually hugely understood by the many many people that actually do not need a ‘computer’. Let’s bear in mind the vast majority of casual computer use is perfectly suitable, if not better suited, to an iPad like device.

I don’t think apple has ever tried to make the iPad a laptop replacement. And I do believe that apple ARE in fact trying to let the iPad just be a tablet.

So really, nothing that you have says bears resemblance to reality, just a weird reverse view on already skewed views on sites like this.

Look outside. No one cares.
Thank you. I have wondered where the notion that Apple was pushing the iPad as a laptop replacement came from — because I don’t see any evidence of that. Your statement that this is likely a misunderstanding of the “what’s a computer” marketing campaign is the best explanation I’ve seen.

Reactions: cupcakes2000

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Except for all the ways that it's not.

When an iPad can import an MP3 straight into Apple Music, and use the camera on the ASD, we can resume this discussion.

sracer said "some/many", not "all", and a lot of people don't care about those issues and an iPad can suit their needs. So the discussion can continue despite your contention that it is over.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
You can request the mods add it to one of the other long running threads like this one.
I saw those other posts and thought hard about posting yet another one of those, but thought that a poll might advance the never-ending debate by providing perspective on whether the “make the iPad a Mac replacement“ cohort is the majority or a vocal minority. I hope that resulting insight is worth subjecting the community to rehashing the topic! 🙏🏽

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
This is not the right question imo. And I'm still amazed that this is still a thing.

Some people, me included, would love that the iPad - especially the iPad Pro advertised as "what's a computer?" - can do more things (pro apps, being able to develop, you name it). There are countless threads about that and countless reviews pointing to the fact that iPadOS is not a match for M-equipped iPads.

But does that mean that those same people want the iPad to become a Mac? Of course not, that's not what they're saying. They're just saying "iPadOS is limited, we want more". That's different from saying "we want the iPad to be something else". Why is this not understood as of yet?
This poll and the question was inspired from seeing one too many “X is limiting iPad as a Mac replacement“ post. The goal was not to rehash the debate, but to quantify the proportion wanting this. I know this poll is not scientific but hopefully the results will be directional.

Reactions: Realityck

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I think the iPad is the perfect only computer for some people. We bought a friend of ours (aged 72) an iPad 9th Gen last August. She's a technophobe and within a week really took to this thing. If we'd bought her a Mac, I think she simply would not have used it.

Likewise if iPadOS was made extremely complex and without abstracting and hiding away the complexity, it would injure this segment of the market.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
These kinds of threads always gets the inevitable:
  • if you want a Mac, buy a Mac (leave the iPad alone)
  • why should I buy and carry 2 devices when I can have 1
  • the iPad has already replaced a laptop for me
  • etc etc. and all the variations of the same opinions.

I think there are a couple of basic aspects to consider.
  1. Those who already do everything with the iPad, are fine with how iPadOS and its apps are now, so case closed for them.
  2. Those who are fine with having multiple devices (each for its purpose) are also fine with the current situation (although some may not say no to having more hardware/software features)
  3. Those who want more from the iPad to replace what the do with a laptop totally or to a greater extent, have basically 2 kind of requests:
A. improve iPadOS and give us more desktop apps (no MacOS)​
B. give us MacOS in dual boot or virtualised (I won't even consider those wanting MacOS instead of iPadOS, those people are such a minority that don't need to be considered IMO)​

For group A, I say, don't think it's so easy for Apple to improve iPadOS, you are understimating how hard is to turn a mobile OS (especially a closed one like IOS) into a more desktop-like OS, just like it's not easy to turn a desktop OS into a touch friendly one. So don't be to hard on Apple engineers, it's a very hard task, it takes years. And convincing developers to port their desktop apps is far from easy either (and bringing FCP and Logic makes little difference in the great scheme of things).
For group B I say that's much easier, but Apple has not enough financial incentive to compete so directly with Macs, so unlikely unless they can find some special hardware (maybe a 16in iPad pro or some foldable) that is at least as expensive as a MacBook and iPad pro combined ($2000 minimum)
My idea has been for years to make a (Magic) Keyboard Mac (with the guts of a Mac Mini), on which an iPad pro could be docked and run MacOS via Sidecar automatically.
Nice @Digitalguy. Well organized and presented arguments. +1 for option B!

Reactions: Digitalguy

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
iPad is great at what it's meant to do, and right now, it doesn't yet seem to be meant to replace your laptop.

Not for everybody but it has been clearly shown to be a replacement for a laptop for some - it all depends on your computing needs and the type of device you prefer to work with. Much like a laptop is not a replacement for a desktop for everybody.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I suspect that Apple is working on some Mac-specific silicon to propel Mac desktops into ultra-high performance workstation / super computer territory. If/when this happens I hope/expect some of it to trickle down to the iPad Pro to unlock some use cases that are currently not feasible.

I don't really understand what you mean here. What punches do you think Apple is pulling right now with their silicon?

Besides, the limit on iPads is software, not hardware. What hardware needs to trickle down to the iPad? What use case would that unlock?

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
@teh_hunterer I think the gap between the Mac and iPad is deliberate and reflects Apple’s multi-device with overlapping/complementary functionality vision. The expectation is for users to embrace the multi-device model and cover the gap by using their preferred device for each use case.

I’ve largely embraced this multi-device paradigm and am happy with the results, but it is evident that many are struggling to bridge that gap with one device. The struggle will likely continue even after Apple chooses to create that gap device as there also seems to be many different preferences for how that device should work (e.g., touch screen Mac vs MacOS on iPad, etc.).
I would say, it’s more multi use case or preference than multi device. My parents moved away from laptops to iPad, my wife rarely uses a mac. If some one has use case for both, go for it.
IMHO, most of the folks watch YT videos, then go buy cuz of FOMO or make reasons to buy multiple devices. When the regret starts hitting, blame apple.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
This poll and the question was inspired from seeing one too many “X is limiting iPad as a Mac replacement“ post. The goal was not to rehash the debate, but to quantify the proportion wanting this. I know this poll is not scientific but hopefully the results will be directional.
I know, but the posts/complaints are not mainly about "X is limiting iPad as a Mac replacement". The complaints are mostly "X is limiting iPad" without the "as a Mac replacement". That's what I'm saying by: it seems people fail to understand that we don't simply want the iPad to be a Mac. We want the iPad to remain an iPad, but with upgraded iPadOS features (not listing them here).

Asking "do you want the iPad to be a Mac?" or asking "do you want iPadOS to do more things and be on par with what a Mx-equipped iPad has to offer?" are 2 different questions.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I don't really understand what you mean here. What punches do you think Apple is pulling right now with their silicon?

Besides, the limit on iPads is software, not hardware. What hardware needs to trickle down to the iPad? What use case would that unlock?
The origin of Apple Silicon is efficient mobile processors for iPhone. The resulting hardware was then extended to iPad then Mac portables and “non-pro’ desktops. The result is competitive CPU and GPU performance with extraordinary power efficiency. This provides an edge for Apple mobile devices but that edge diminishes for desktops. I’m saying that I suspect that Apple is working on Mac-specific Apple silicon innovations optimized for more demanding desktop use cases (e.g., 3d modeling, simulation, visualization, etc.) and hope/expect some of these to trickle down to the iPad Pro.

I agree that software is a blocker for iPad innovation. I believe that Apple sees this too and are working to address it. However, even without Structural iPadOS changes we are starting to see more desktop class iPad applications and games from independent software developers (Adobe, Affinity, DaVinci, Luma, Aspyr - Civ vi, 2k - xcom, etc.). And the fact that software is the current limiting item doesn’t mean that iPad hardware innovation has to stand still. Again this is pure speculation and wishful thinking.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
For me, it might as well, since there’s nothing I have a use for an Mx Mac for that a tablet wouldn’t do better than a keyboard. But obviously a load of people type a lot of words and prefer a mechanical keyboard to do it, so all the Mac OS portables are tailored to that specific use case. I don’t think that for tablet functionality to be in the line, it necessarily needs to completely replace notebook/typewriter functionality altogether, That seems like an extreme conclusion to reach. It doesn’t have to be so all or nothing. Though, I can say that until they add Mac OS functionality and the tablet form together, there’s no way I’m buying another ipad. Or Mac.

In the mean time, we’ll just continue to use Wacom Cintiqs with Mac OS as we’ve been doing for 20 years, since Apple hasn’t been willing to put it together.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
The origin of Apple Silicon is efficient mobile processors for iPhone. The resulting hardware was then extended to iPad then Mac portables and “non-pro’ desktops. The result is competitive CPU and GPU performance with extraordinary power efficiency. This provides an edge for Apple mobile devices but that edge diminishes for desktops. I’m saying that I suspect that Apple is working on Mac-specific Apple silicon innovations optimized for more demanding desktop use cases (e.g., 3d modeling, simulation, visualization, etc.) and hope/expect some of these to trickle down to the iPad Pro.

I still don't understand. Apple created the M series specifically for the Mac. They put in all sorts of extra silicon to suit the Macs they're in. They even said the strength of Apple silicon is that they can make the products they actually want to make. What specifically is missing in the current Macs that is a result of Apple silicon starting out in phones and tablets?

For Apple to have put any more silicon in the current Macs would have created more heat, lowered battery life, and more fan noise. So I'm not sure what you think could have gone in them but didn't because of Apple silicon's origins. Not sure how Apple silicon's edge diminishes in desktops when Apple hasn't put it in a proper desktop yet.

For chips like Apple silicon, power efficiency is performance. If they wanted, they could ramp up the power usage to Intel/AMD/NVIDIA levels and achieve equivalent or higher performance, but that would necessitate bigger beefier louder devices. Not seeing how that trickles down to the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.