Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the iPad become a Mac Replacement?

• Yes - the iPad should become a general Mac replacement

Votes: 38 12.6%
  • Yes - the iPad should become a Mac laptop replacement

Votes: 53 17.5%
  • No - the iPad should stick to the original design intent

Votes: 171 56.6%
  • I don’t have a preference for what the iPad evolves into

Votes: 40 13.2%

• Total voters

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Here’s another point. What are they thinking, selling a $300 keyboard+trackpad setup? By the time you buy that and the iPad itself, you’re in the hole WAAAAAY past a MacBook.

And yet they won’t put a touchscreen on the MacBook.

Why? Other than the money. There’s no reason for this other than the money.

Well, they are a for profit organization.

EVERYTHING Apple does should be "for the money".

As a shareholder, I don't want them don't anything for ANY other reason.

Reactions: sparksd

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Here’s another point. What are they thinking, selling a $300 keyboard+trackpad setup? By the time you buy that and the iPad itself, you’re in the hole WAAAAAY past a MacBook.

And yet they won’t put a touchscreen on the MacBook.

Why? Other than the money. There’s no reason for this other than the money.
I don't want Apple to put a touchscreen on the MacBook. I want them to develop a version of iPadOS that can do almost everything MacOS can do, then stop making MacBooks, and say everyone who wants mobile computing can buy iPad + keyboard.

There will be a huge chorus of complaints, with people saying they can't do this or that with the new system, or they are forced to adopt convoluted workarounds, but that will eventually die down, and we will be finally living in a fully touch-compatible mobile computing world.

Figuring out when to force such a switch was what Steve Jobs was good at, and that is why I miss him a lot.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I don't want Apple to put a touchscreen on the MacBook. I want them to develop a version of iPadOS that can do almost everything MacOS can do, then stop making MacBooks, and say everyone who wants mobile computing can buy iPad + keyboard.

There will be a huge chorus of complaints, with people saying they can't do this or that with the new system, or they are forced to adopt convoluted workarounds, but that will eventually die down, and we will be finally living in a fully touch-compatible mobile computing world.

Figuring out when to force such a switch was what Steve Jobs was good at, and that is why I miss him a lot.

Yeah....no.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I disagree. Even for-profit companies should consider other factors than just making money. For instance, is it okay for a company to pollute a river next to its factory, because it will increase profits if it didn't spend money on anti-polluting measures? Obviously not.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I disagree. Even for-profit companies should consider other factors than just making money. For instance, is it okay for a company to pollute a river next to its factory, because it will increase profits if it didn't spend money on anti-polluting measures? Obviously not.

Not if it violates the law...which it does in most places.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I'm a huge fan of my iPad Pro, but no, it's a tablet computer and no tablet computer, iOS or Android, should run a desktop OS. Because the icons are tiny and they just don't work. As well.

Apple should instead concentrate on further enhancing and differentiating iPad OS from iPhone OS.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014

Shareholders are THE reason that companies shift their focus from product value to squeezing every dime from the customer for as little work as possible. So thank you for perpetuating the problem.

• Sad
Reactions: Annv and I7guy

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014

I would argue that adapting macOS for the touch interface without ruining its flexibility would be a better approach, but yes, I agree that would be the best route for iPad.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Shareholders are THE reason that companies shift their focus from product value to squeezing every dime from the customer for as little work as possible. So thank you for perpetuating the problem.

Product value and profit are not mutually exclusive - it is up to the company to make the balance.

Reactions: Night Spring

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Product value and profit are not mutually exclusive - it is up to the company to make the balance.
It’s up to the shareholders to not pressure the company into sacrificing product value for profit, which they pretty much never do. At which point, the company must satisfy the shareholders to survive, product value be damned.

Pretty universal.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020

How is it a problem? It's exactly what for profit companies should be doing.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
It’s up to the shareholders to not pressure the company into sacrificing product value for profit, which they pretty much never do. At which point, the company must satisfy the shareholders to survive, product value be damned.

Pretty universal.

Why should any company enhance "product value" at the expense of profitability? That makes no sense.

For profit Corporations EXIST to make profit, not to have "product value".

Reactions: oneseattleguy

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Pretty universal.
In your world, no for-profit company produces product value. I really disagree with such a cynical attitude.

Reactions: monstermash

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I would argue that adapting macOS for the touch interface without ruining its flexibility would be a better approach, but yes, I agree that would be the best route for iPad.
Yeah, I don't care much if they add touch functions to macOS or they add desktop features to iPadOS. Having the M chips on both platforms should, in theory, make merging the two platforms easier. But things don't seem to be advancing too much in that direction. :(

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Why should any company enhance "product value" at the expense of profitability? That makes no sense.

For profit Corporations EXIST to make profit, not to have "product value".
How do you imagine companies make profit, if they don't have products/services that offer value to consumers? This so-called choice between product value and profit is a false choice. When companies "choose profit over product value," what they actually do is choose short-term gain over long-term growth.

Reactions: Annv and sparksd

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
How do you imagine companies make profit, if they don't have products/services that offer value to consumers? This so-called choice between product value and profit is a false choice. When companies "choose profit over product value," what they actually do is choose short-term gain over long-term growth.

Of course they product value. That's kind of my point. If they didn't produce value, people wouldn't buy their stuff, pretty much by definition.

But the company EXISTS to make profit.

If a company can make more profit by doing X instead of Y, then it should do X instead of Y, no matter how much the customers would prefer it do Y.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Of course they product value. That's kind of my point. If they didn't produce value, people wouldn't buy their stuff, pretty much by definition.

But the company EXISTS to make profit.

If a company can make more profit by doing X instead of Y, then it should do X instead of Y, no matter how much the customers would prefer it do Y.
But if there is another company which then decides to provide customers with Y, then you risk losing your customers to the other company.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
But if there is another company which then decides to provide customers with Y, then you risk losing your customers to the other company.

Sure, that's a risk.

A company risks losing customers all the time, for various reasons. Maybe those customers are not profitable enough for the company to bother with. Maybe they want things the company doesn't want to provide. Maybe any number of other things.

Walmart loses potential customers every day because it doesn't sell Gucci.

Apple loses potential customers every day because it doesn't sell $300 laptops.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sure, that's a risk.

A company risks losing customers all the time, for various reasons. Maybe those customers are not profitable enough for the company to bother with. Maybe they want things the company doesn't want to provide. Maybe any number of other things.

Walmart loses potential customers every day because it doesn't sell Gucci.

Apple loses potential customers every day because it doesn't sell $300 laptops.
And Gucci loses customers every day because they don't sell cheaper, mass-market items. But both Gucci and Walmart are profitable, right?

I think maybe when people say Apple shouldn't chase profit over product value, they are just saying Apple should be more like Gucci than Walmart.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
And Gucci loses customers every day because they don't sell cheaper, mass-market items. But both Gucci and Walmart are profitable, right?

I think maybe when people say Apple shouldn't chase profit over product value, they are just saying Apple should be more like Gucci than Walmart.

Apple is the most profitable company in the world.

I find it humourous that anyone in a user forum thinks they can do it better than the people working there (;

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Sooooooo name one company that’s shareholder-controlled that actually demonstrates consistent product value growth.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Apple is the most profitable company in the world.

I find it humourous that anyone in a user forum thinks they can do it better than the people working there (;
Aren't you the one who said, as a shareholder, you want them to prioritize profit over anything else? Isn't that telling the people at Apple what to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.