Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

PiTT

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2005
Milan, Italy
IMG_6575.png

Reactions: PilotTiny

m.x

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
There's something about these "new" icons that bothers me. Their implementation of color tint and dark mode just looks lazy. Maybe if we got completely new icons that had more depth, it would look better.
I get what you mean and it's bothering me too. I think my mind thinks that black background of app icons = inverted colors, but since the other colors stay the same it doesn't match what my mind expects there.
It's very noticeable with the Notes app icon.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I get what you mean and it's bothering me too. I think my mind thinks that black background of app icons = inverted colors, but since the other colors stay the same it doesn't match what my mind expects there.
It's very noticeable with the Notes app icon.
I agree with the Notes icon - it's easily the worst of the new dark icons. I think we'll see skilled third party developers show us how this should be done.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Loving the larger icons.

I tried to like them, but it just makes the Homescreen look so goofy lol... I really like the fact that it removes the app name though. Wish Apple gave us the option to do that on the regular size icons.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
2hcKEhXl.jpg

mytuner Pro widget
weathergraph 48hr widget

The usual nonsense. Waiting until I can change the icon images on an individual basis, with differently chosen colours.

Tom

myTuner Pro picks up the only radio station in a town of 7,500 that is close to the village 50-90 people I live in. It warrants homescreen space b/c I live in the wastelands of 0-1 bar LTE service; only get 5G when I go in for dialysis. Widget holds a most recently played and 4 other stations.

Last edited:

sleeptodream

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2022
Is there a toggle to keep the old icon behavior? I actually prefer the way it is now over how Android does it

Something about them all floating to the top keeps the home screen looking light, they’re like bubbles in a soda 🫧

tomtad

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2015
Is there a toggle to keep the old icon behavior? I actually prefer the way it is now over how Android does it

Something about them all floating to the top keeps the home screen looking light, they’re like bubbles in a soda 🫧

The old behaviour is sort of still maintained, and when you drag around widgets for example, app icons around them will default to sorting from the top left. The difference is now is that if I drag an icon or widget to the bottom of the screen for example and there are non above it for example, it will stay there.

Reactions: sleeptodream

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
For the life of me I cannot get widgets in the middle like in your set-up.

I do wish we could we could have an 6x5 or 6x6 icon grid.
Pick up your S24U and you can 😂

Would love a 6X5 grid but I'm loving the little changes tho in ios18. When RCS is a go most of my iOS complaints will be gone. May cure some of my phone hopping habit and save me some money 😂

Reactions: jamezr

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Horrible, most people should just stick with normal icons, all I want is 3d depth icons like macOS that would look fresh. I hate the fact iOS 18 looks so childish and ruins what makes iPhone look normal

• Haha
Reactions: cateye
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.