Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
How is there no macrumors post on this yet? This is the most interesting thing.. and crickets.

What stores are there? What is recommended?

SideStore trustworthy?

any restrictions for sideloading to work?

do you have to be in the EU? Do you have to have an EU iphone? Do you have to have it set to an EU country under region?
all of the above?

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: load97 and iOS Geek

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
It's because there aren't any alternative app stores.
There isn't "sideloading". All apps need to come from the Apple App Store or an alternative App Store.

cbns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
It's because there aren't any alternative app stores.
There isn't "sideloading". All apps need to come from the Apple App Store or an alternative App Store.

are you sure?

SpecMode

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
NorCal
  1. 17.4 has been available for all of 92 minutes, give it time
  2. Apple still has a review and approval process for alternative app stores in the EU that anyone creating one has to go through, which could take a while
  3. SideStore is not one of those "approved" alternative app stores, and essentially bypasses the normal App Store cryptographic signing process by using an iOS developer certificate and VPN connection to trick iOS into thinking that sideloaded apps are authorized to run using the developer entitlement
    1. Because this method uses a developer certificate to run sideloaded apps, SideStore has to "refresh" every app it installs to keep them from expiring after 7 days

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland

are you sure?

That's not an official alternative App Store as required by the new EU rules. That's a hack abusing the Apple ID ToS. They even recommend using a "burner iCloud account" to install the thing. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
There have been plenty articles about it, there simply isn’t anything else to update on. The whole thing is a dumpster fire. Even META already said, they are not going to bother with its own store

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
How is there no macrumors post on this yet? This is the most interesting thing.. and crickets.

What stores are there? What is recommended?
For one thing, MacRumors is based in the US and therefore is unable to use or test out the feature themselves to write about. They'll likely have to wait to get information from EU users/tech sites. Plus, it's only been out for a few hours.

They did report earlier that Setapp will be coming in April.

do you have to be in the EU? Do you have to have an EU iphone? Do you have to have it set to an EU country under region?
all of the above?
I believe it's locked to SIM carrier information. Simply changing the region or having a EU phone won't do anything.

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
You can disable app marketplaces in the screen time settings

Attachments

• IMG_1603.png
    IMG_1603.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: ffff14P

SpecMode

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
NorCal
I presume a reputable news site would want to beat others to the punch.
Guess I was wrong.
A reputable news site values being accurate at least as highly as being fast. Otherwise we would probably have already seen a post about "alternative app stores" like SideStore (which isn't approved by Apple) and "sideloading" (which also isn't supported by Apple) that has nothing whatsoever to do with 17.4, just because someone wanted to the the first to publish something for the clicks.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
For one thing, MacRumors is based in the US and therefore is unable to use or test out the feature themselves to write about. They'll likely have to wait to get information from EU users/tech sites. Plus, it's only been out for a few hours.

They did report earlier that Setapp will be coming in April.

I believe it's locked to SIM carrier information. Simply changing the region or having a EU phone won't do anything.
Will be interested to see how this will work for those that use dual sim with a US and an EU carrier. Will it be based off of the primary SIM?

Reactions: JFLECHUGA

cbns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
COuld I have
Screen time - Restrictions - Enable
Danke schön.

Does not show up for me. I wonder if it’s because I had my phone sent to United States region when updating? I also did not see the mention about the European marketplaces in the iOS preview under software update

cbns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
All right, never mind I figured it out. It has to do with the location of the Apple ID you signed in with.

Reactions: Blue Hawk

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Nope. My Apple ID is from the US and I am in Germany
So you are seeing the EU-only features on your iPhone? I’m asking because I have yet to update to 17.4 but am on the fence because I’m based in Italy but my iPhone is set to US region and main account is US based even though I have several other Apple ID accounts from EU countries (including Italy)

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
Will be interested to see how this will work for those that use dual sim with a US and an EU carrier. Will it be based off of the primary SIM?
I am testing SetApp and it is working very well on all my devices, it still has few apps and I guess that as it is implemented it will fill up like the AppStore of our beloved Apple!!!

Reactions: MiamiBeach

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I am testing SetApp and it is working very well on all my devices, it still has few apps and I guess that as it is implemented it will fill up like the AppStore of our beloved Apple!!!

SetApp is a subscription based platform, right? So if a user stops paying them 9.99$ per month they lose their app access. Not a very interesting model, IMO.

Edit: it is actually 12.49$ per month, in order for it to also work on iOS devices.

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
SetApp is a subscription based platform, right? So if a user stops paying them 9.99$ per month they lose their app access. Not a very interesting model, IMO.

Edit: it is actually 12.49$ per month, in order for it to also work on iOS devices.
I'll tell you the full version on the 31st that I'm out of subscription, if it's the way you say, I'll uninstall everything I've downloaded (it's little) and see other repositories. I don't like subscriptions either, it looks like you're getting married again. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'll tell you!!!

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)

Another thing, for each device you add iPhone, iPad, etc. you have to pay a surcharge of $2.99 it seems to me that that is the amount more or less + taxes. Come on, it's not a bargain, if the apps I have downloaded are blocked, I forget about SetApp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.