Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I’m in the EU, I’ve logged off my US account and logged in with my EU account. Rebooted by iPhone and the software update still makes no mention of the EU changes and update description is still the one for the US. Color me confused

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
I’m in the EU, I’ve logged off my US account and logged in with my EU account. Rebooted by iPhone and the software update still makes no mention of the EU changes and update description is still the one for the US. Color me confused
Is the Appstore from the EU or the US?
To change countries you have to move several parameters in the settings, look at the Apple Support tutorial.

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Is the Appstore from the EU or the US?
To change countries you have to move several parameters in the settings, look at the Apple Support tutorial.
The AppStores are all from the EU once I switch to my EU account. Can you point me to the support tutorial you mention? Thanks

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
As the iPhone can be used and updated without an Apple ID, the iOS region setting is probably what separates EU users from others.
Change the language and region on iPhone
https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/iphce20717a3/ios
If all else fails I’ll try this but want to avoid for now. After all, didn’t Apple say iPhone’s physical location will play a role? I would assume physical location would override other software settings but what do I know…

Lex404

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US)
But I keep English (US) because any other language in tech environment cringes me soooo much 🤣 I speak Romanian, Spanish and Turkish but can't use any of them with technology, translations sounds way too weird.

(also fun fact, not sure how is in other languages but in Polish they translate the excel formulas =))) I died when I saw it =)) )

• Haha
Reactions: JFLECHUGA

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
I am testing SetApp and it is working very well on all my devices, it still has few apps and I guess that as it is implemented it will fill up like the AppStore of our beloved Apple!!!
I’m curious if it’s worth to pay for it. I have no experience with the SetApp.

It would be funnier if we would get something like a Play Store on iOS. But it will not happen. Just a joke.

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
I’m curious if it’s worth to pay for it. I have no experience with the SetApp.

It would be funnier if we would get something like a Play Store on iOS. But it will not happen. Just a joke.
Well, as I've already said, if you want to have a first-person experience, wait for the 30-day membership I have to finish and I'll be able to give you a totally objective opinion, it's also new to me, but I don't like subscriptions at all, it's like getting married and if you get divorced you lose everything, or not? 😂😂😂

Reactions: Blue Hawk

cbns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
Nope. My Apple ID is from the US and I am in Germany
Oh damn. Yeah that’s exactly how it is for me but nothing showed up until I used my German Apple ID.
Is your phone also from Germany ?

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Support document says

“The country or region of your Apple ID must be set to one of the countries or regions of the European Union, and you must be physically located in the European Union.”

What is not clear is what Apple ID they refer to. The one for the phone? The one for the store? One can have an Apple ID for one and a different one for the other. Quite confusing

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Oh damn. Yeah that’s exactly how it is for me but nothing showed up until I used my German Apple ID.
Is your phone also from Germany ?

So did you just have to enter your German Apple ID for the App Store, or did you need to log in to your actual iCloud with the German Apple ID?

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I'll tell you the full version on the 31st that I'm out of subscription, if it's the way you say, I'll uninstall everything I've downloaded (it's little) and see other repositories. I don't like subscriptions either, it looks like you're getting married again. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'll tell you!!!

They list all their subscription plans here, with a 7-days free trial:

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Support document says

“The country or region of your Apple ID must be set to one of the countries or regions of the European Union, and you must be physically located in the European Union.”

What is not clear is what Apple ID they refer to. The one for the phone? The one for the store? One can have an Apple ID for one and a different one for the other. Quite confusing

It depends on what part of the changes you are talking about.

Browser

You need to be physically in an EU country

App Store / 3rd Party Stores

You need to be physically in an EU country + your AppStore AppleID needs to be in the EU. I just logged into my US AppStore AppleID and I no longer got the pop up. Went back to my German AppStore AppleID and I get the pop up again

Reactions: melapple

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013

Browser

You need to be physically in an EU country + your AppStore AppleID needs to be in the EU. I just logged into my US AppStore AppleID and I no longer got the pop up. Went back to my German AppStore AppleID and I get the pop up again
I only care for non-WebKit web browsers so this means I don’t have to do anything since I’m already in the EU? The 17.4 update description is still the one for the US and makes no mention of EU changes

Reactions: Sparxxx

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Where do we get non-webkit browsers like Brave?
Official Apple App Stoe or some others?

There aren't any yet and I am not sure they will actually bother. I just went on the Brave board and there is nothing yet, just some statements saying that it is not really on their pipeline to spent development time on a browser that only works in the EU AND only iPhone (iPad is excluded from the digital markets act)

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
Thats what I was affraid of.
Apple did such a mess and bare minimum with side loading… disgusting!

• Haha
Reactions: iOS Geek

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Thats what I was affraid of.
Apple did such a mess and bare minimum with side loading… disgusting!

It is still early to judge, as the EC and some other governmental institutions in other countries might ask Apple to expand it to iPadOS. Then the number of affected devices might grow with time, making it more appealing to app developers.

Reactions: Sparxxx

cbns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021
So did you just have to enter your German Apple ID for the App Store, or did you need to log in to your actual iCloud with the German Apple ID?
I had to completely log out of my Apple ID on my phone, which was a huge hassle and lost all my Apple Pay

cbns

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2021

Browser

I am physically in the EU and have neither option unless I’m logged in with an EU Apple ID

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I had to completely log out of my Apple ID on my phone, which was a huge hassle and lost all my Apple Pay

Just as a follow-up question: did you try at first to only log out of your App Store Apple ID and log in with the German one, before logging out of your iCloud Apple ID completely? And was only changing the App Store Apple ID not enough?

Blue Hawk

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2017
Germany
There aren't any yet and I am not sure they will actually bother. I just went on the Brave board and there is nothing yet, just some statements saying that it is not really on their pipeline to spent development time on a browser that only works in the EU AND only iPhone (iPad is excluded from the digital markets act)
That’s really bad. Google, Mozilla and Opera already announced a browser with their engine and I hope Edge will follow it too. But Brave and Aloha… If they don’t have any plans I wouldn’t use them.

Apples brainwashing does also work very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.