Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
I am just going to be similar to you and say I don't have any and don't care about your link. :)

Since you clearly haven't watched anyone else's.
Why would I care about the opinions of someone who thinks Life is Strange is an example of a good game?

This one was particularly touching.

I guarantee you, I care about this far more.
I guarantee you care far more too.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Who has problems with reading comprehension? Go back and read carefully.

And that's good, because I am not sure how much I value the opinion who resorts to ad hominem attacks so readily. It's all good, I can respond in kind.
Pick a good recent game that doesn’t exist on Mac then, like Amid Evil or Cruelty Squad then. Walking simulators are just Visual Novels for hipsters.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Now find another game besides that one. :) I'll wait. Not really an "apples to apples" comparison. Find one where they didn't invite the Dev onto the stage. Besides a 2070 is dang old at this point. What about a 3080? That is what it supposedly compares to.
world of warcraft shadow lands
they compare with the 100W 3080 that cant sustain that dgpu for gaming....my razer after 20 minutes the gpu is throttling down and i see that in the fps from 144fps down to 90fps
Only the MSI 160W 3080 can sustain the full power..but this thing is a monster and crush any mac gpu in gaming
but again, that MSI for me its like a desktop :)))

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
While OS X is ultimately a Unix system, you can't run Linux systems on it like you can on Windows. Specifically, Windows has Linux kernel integration, it runs much faster and seamlessly. It's not just e.g, an RDP solution.
RDP? What are you talking about? I have ported (that is a really BIG word for the effort needed) in the past (roughly 17 years) quite a bunch of Linux software with a variety of graphical interface frameworks or without… out of the box.
okay, you might have to install Qt5 etc., but why should one have the need to RDP?
Oh, and you run make (might have to modify), then compile (might to edit includes or some code), but then it’s native and runs seamlessly.

Actually I had a website where I provided then easy to run installer packages for the Mac… the need to run a Linux kernel of which depends the software you need exist, yes, but it’s niché, isn’t it?
If you just want to run some open source software package, it is actually not difficult ?

Last edited:

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
world of warcraft shadow lands
they compare with the 100W 3080 that cant sustain that dgpu for gaming....my razer after 20 minutes the gpu is throttling down and i see that in the fps from 144fps down to 90fps
Only the MSI 160W 3080 can sustain the full power..but this thing is a monster and crush any mac gpu in gaming
but again, that MSI for me its like a desktop :)))
You get my point though--even though I was being a tad pretentious. Finding a few games that have been put only out for the mac don't compare with the thousands of titles that will be completely unplayable on the Mac. that was my point.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
You guys can complain about this game and that game not being supported, but now with macOS 12 we have access to Adaptive Sync, which should excite most gamers (myself included) as it means smoother gameplay experiences on our gaming monitors. It's small feature creep like this that shows that Apple is slowly expanding the features of macOS to specifically accommodate gamers.

Right now all we've seen from the Apple Silicon chips are the mobile and lightweight sector. I'll be very excited to see what kind of performance we can get out of their heavy duty desktop Macs next year. Who knows, maybe when they're not worried about the power envelope of a mobile platform they can actually make full use of that 5nm architecture and eat NVIDIA's lunch for a change.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
It looks like Apple is more centered around the Hollywood/movie/music industry and not the business+gaming market which is a huge mistake to be a niche product. It’s also becoming harder and harder for enterprise businesses to manage their Mac fleet.

More like YouTube content creation. Movie industry use render farms with Epyc CPUs and Nvidia dGPUs.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Smart watches give notifications for your game on your phone. I guess that is how they count it.
There was a neat little game called “Break this Safe” back in the day that was cool for it’s time, but it’s not being updated anymore :D

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
*counts the 18,000 threads on macrumors regarding gaming on the new macs* Clearly.
Posted by 18x by 1,000 users? ;)

I'm amending my position.

If you want triple A titles yesterday then Apple should have never created Apple Silicon and just stuck with AMD/Intel/Nvidia and produce fatter Macbooks, iMacs and Mac MAXIs

If you want triple A titles on Apple Silicon then wait until Macs with Apple Silicon start having 3nm process M2 Pro & M2 Max chips. By 2023 game devs would have had the time to optimize their games for it.

To my understanding game development from scratch takes time and up to 3 years. Apple Silicon Developer Transition Kit shipped 17 months ago.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Posted by 18x by 1,000 users? ;)

I'm amending my position.

If you want triple A titles yesterday then Apple should have never created Apple Silicon and just stuck with AMD/Intel/Nvidia and produce fatter Macbooks, iMacs and Mac MAXIs

If you want triple A titles on Apple Silicon then wait until Macs with Apple Silicon start having 3nm process M2 Pro & M2 Max chips. By 2023 game devs would have had the time to optimize their games for it.

To my understanding game development from scratch takes time and up to 3 years. Apple Silicon Developer Transition Kit shipped 17 months ago.
It may have been a slight exaggeration. ;)

We aren't dealing with what Apple should have done. We are dealing with what they did.

And it isn't the length of time. It's the lack of supporting the frameworks that devs already use. :) Anyway, it is what it is at this point either way.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
It may have been a slight exaggeration. ;)

We aren't dealing with what Apple should have done. We are dealing with what they did.

And it isn't the length of time. It's the lack of supporting the frameworks that devs already use. :) Anyway, it is what it is at this point either way.
What about PlayStation & Nintendo? Do they use APIs or other gaming-specific tech found on Windows?

Next WWDC could introduce their frameworks provided that Apple found a technical work around to licensing them.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
What about PlayStation & Nintendo? Do they use APIs or other gaming-specific tech found on Windows?

Next WWDC could introduce their frameworks provided that Apple found a technical work around to licensing them.
Are you asking who was first? Or are you asking if the Consoles have alternative to stuff found in Windows (like Mesh Shaders)?

Reactions: Adarna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.