Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
After introducing X (Ten), naming will probably change. I don’t think there will be 9 next year...

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the X is discontinued next year, and the features are integrated into the next iPhone and iPhone Plus models. Jury's out on FaceID. May disappear if they get the under-screen TouchID to work. Some tech may sneak into the next SE.

I really don't see them abandoning FaceID after talking about how much more secure and convenient it is. They might as well bring back the headphone jack too. Whether their on the right track or not, Apple doesn't backtrack.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Naming is a valid question

If they just called it the iPhone X as is "EX" pronunciation I would think 9 would be the way to go next year

But who knows now

I think the numbers while getting high and absurd are in fact a pretty good marketing strategy. People know inherently that 5 is more than 4, 6 is more than 5, etc... and they attribute big changes with these numbers.

Its all marketing.

It might be the 10th Anniversary of iPhone this year but these are going to be the 11th generation of phones

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
next yrs they will call

iphone XP same as windiw XP

P stand for = Power

hehehhe :)

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
This will be the last year of numbering. An iPhone 9 that's a generation newer than one called 10? I consider that unlikely. I also don't see them going with 11/XI because if they keep the numbering going much longer, it's going to start sounding a bit ridiculous. The obvious alternative is that it becomes just iPhone and iPhone Plus/Pro/whatever, especially as refreshes are likely to become a lot more incremental for the next few years considering there isn't much bezel left to eliminate, so nothing major will change with the design for at least the next few years.

pakupakuman

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
Whether they're on the right track or not, Apple doesn't backtrack.

True, but unless they were only good rumors, why would they have abandoned the underscreen TouchID concept? Maybe they could still be working on it for either another year or another product.

I noticed I actually didn't even answer the OP's original question! Being the 10-year celebration of the iPhone, if the X lives on, it could be called Pro or Edition, the others iPhone and Plus.

Reactions: Squirreljam

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
It's the question nobody is asking.. but actually I think the iPhone 9 is what a lot of people wish Apple had produced yesterday.

Think of it - something between the 8 and the 10 - that's what Apple's flagship should have been this year. That bit less premium than the X, that lot more innovative than the 8..

Will we somehow see an iPhone 9 next year?

drewdove

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
So Apple went from iPhone 8 to iPhone X or ten. So has iPhone 9 been put on the same shelf as Windows 9, a numerical idea that won't be seen? Just wondering.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
So Apple went from iPhone 8 to iPhone X or ten. So has iPhone 9 been put on the same shelf as Windows 9, a numerical idea that won't be seen? Just wondering.

The number 8 is considered lucky in China... I agree that iPhone 9 is unlikely

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
In Russia number 7 considered lucky, 777 is even more lucky than a single digit 7. But I don't like iPhone 7 feedback button and I couldn't afford it, so I got iPhone6 s+, so far it's been great.

I don't think X means 10 in iPhone X, more like project X or Chemical X. Unless it was stated otherwise during the presentation.

I don't know which iPhone will be my next iphone, time will tell.

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
In Russia number 7 considered lucky, 777 is even more lucky than a single digit 7. But I don't like iPhone 7 feedback button and I couldn't afford it, so I got iPhone6 s+, so far it's been great.

I don't think X means 10 in iPhone X, more like project X or Chemical X. Unless it was stated otherwise during the presentation.

I don't know which iPhone will be my next iphone, time will tell.
False. It means 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.