Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I don't think there'll be an iPhone 9. Apple jumped to 10 in order to compete with Samsung. Sure, they're 2 different devices but you have to admit that the number 10 sounds more appealing than 8. It's all marketing. I imagine next gen to be called X1 and so on...

I like this. Two separate lines. The numbers continue for the "old model" that started in 2007. X line for the tenth anniversary reboot. X2 makes more sense for 2018 though. This year is technically X1. We're supposed to think of it as iphone 10. But everyone I've met including me calls it iphone "X" like the letter. OSX too come to think of it.

X2 and X2 plus for next year. Maybe an iPhone 9 or iphone classic WITH THe home button form factor while they slowly phase it out. SE Is the wildcard. It's the entry level low cost model for emerging markets. It might jack up the price too much to take it edge to edge. Or maybe an X2 mini and keep the current one in the classic line. Of all the theories this makes the most sense. I don't see any more advances or improvements to the 8. That's going to be the ultimate model in the old line.
[doublepost=1505650619][/doublepost]Actually I'm wrong. There is room for advancement on the 8. They could throw in face Id, 3d camera etc in the front bezel and call it the 9. Just with a home button and bezel.

Reactions: TinaBelcher

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Welcome to iPhone 2018 collection: iPhone small, iPhone medium, iPhone big and iPhone humongous. ;)

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Since Tim said iPhone X represents the template for the next decade of iPhone, I’m thinking they’ll just go with iPhone X2, IPhone X3, etc.

Right.... iPhone "ten-2", "ten-3".

It shouldn't have been that hard to realize that he's talking about the form factor.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the X is discontinued next year, and the features are integrated into the next iPhone and iPhone Plus models. Jury's out on FaceID. May disappear if they get the under-screen TouchID to work. Some tech may sneak into the next SE.

Apple spent hundreds of millions just to abandon after one year. Yeah that sounds plausible.

stabile007

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe they will re-name the line and confuse things more with the older gens:
iPhone SE (Updated about as often as the Mac Pro or eventually phased out altogether)
iPhone
iPhone Plus
iPhone X

And then just either tack on the number to iterate it or just use the year to designate models like the Mac's (iPhone 2016 edition) etc.

Last edited:

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Next year we'll see the iPhone X for what it really is, an excuse for Apple to hike prices.

We won't see a 8s or 9. We'll see something that builds on the X. Maybe Xs or XI who knows but there is no way Apple will give up that extra $300 margin if it's what people go for this year.

The line up will be:

iPhone SE
iPhone 7

iPhone X discounted
iPhone X v2

We will absolutely see an iPhone 9. It is Tim cooks last opportunity to re release the iPhone 6 again.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Right.... iPhone "ten-2", "ten-3".

It shouldn't have been that hard to realize that he's talking about the form factor.

They have to call it “ten” because of the 10th anniversary link. It’s not that hard to realise that marketing strategies can change and doesn’t have to follow logic. Just as “ten” came out at the same time as 8. They can easily call it “X” in the future if they wanted to. It’s all guess work at this point, stop talking as if you know more than others. :rolleyes:

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
If Jony is going to use the same design for an "iPhone 8s" as he used in iPhone 8 (7,6s,6) he should seriously consider having a head MRI.

Makes sense that he would though. There is a new design. The X range. I can see a 9 "classic" style same body with the faceid and cameras of the X. The X and X plus become the new iPhone and iphone + mainstream line and slowly they will phase out the old ones

Reactions: JohnnyGo

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
After introducing X (Ten), naming will probably change. I don’t think there will be 9 next year...

Yes, I think naming will change next year. Probably call them something like "iPhone Edition" or simply "iPhone". So next year we can say I have the "iPhone Edition 2018" or "iPhone 2018" or whatever. Kind of like what we do with Macs...

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
That is what I am thinking. The 9 will be the last of the iconic design first introduced by Steve Jobs 10 years ago.

I can see them using the old design and absolutely loading it up to the gills as a last hurrah. Dual cameras on both the 9 and the +. Front facing 3d camera etc you name it.

Someone mentioned the number 8 is lucky in China. Well the number 9 is very lucky in India and Buddhism, which influenced Steve greatly, has a lot of 9 and 108 symbology. 2018 has both 108 and the number 9 in it.

We're all guessing right now but I do predict a last old body style iphone 9. Arguably a better tribute to Steve than the X. Then the X body style simply becomes iphone. Old style gets phased out by 2020

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
I really don't see them abandoning FaceID after talking about how much more secure and convenient it is. They might as well bring back the headphone jack too. Whether their on the right track or not, Apple doesn't backtrack.

Bring back something means accepting defeat or accepting wrong decision was made which will create doubts in consumers that never buy 1st generation products from apple.
[doublepost=1505730826][/doublepost]
That is what I am thinking. The 9 will be the last of the iconic design first introduced by Steve Jobs 10 years ago.

The last iconic design of Steve Jobs was until iPhone 5s & 5c, rest were the new team's design.

Reactions: borntrouble

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I can see them using the old design and absolutely loading it up to the gills as a last hurrah. Dual cameras on both the 9 and the +. Front facing 3d camera etc you name it.

Someone mentioned the number 8 is lucky in China. Well the number 9 is very lucky in India and Buddhism, which influenced Steve greatly, has a lot of 9 and 108 symbology. 2018 has both 108 and the number 9 in it.

We're all guessing right now but I do predict a last old body style iphone 9. Arguably a better tribute to Steve than the X. Then the X body style simply becomes iphone. Old style gets phased out by 2020
iPhone classic! Haha

Reactions: eVolcre

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
iPhone classic! Haha

There's precedence with the iPod line. The old big capacity one with the buttons. Who knows? People may just like the home button and bezels for a few more years.

The design and spare parts could be milked for a few generations. ****, look at the SE

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Maybe the iphone 9 will be next year's "5C," meaning pretty much a 7 with different colors and perhaps a better camera.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the X is discontinued next year, and the features are integrated into the next iPhone and iPhone Plus models. Jury's out on FaceID. May disappear if they get the under-screen TouchID to work. Some tech may sneak into the next SE.

This is what I think, however I think it will give both Face ID & Touch ID within the screen. 2017 is a cop out year

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Isnt that the 8? If anything a refined 8 becomes the new 9 right?
Not necessarily. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong), the 5C was just a glorified 5 with nice colors. But the 5S was out at the time. So, the new one would be a generation behind the current, meaning it would be a glorified 7 in cool colors. I think...

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Well we can expect them to discontinue the iPhone 7/8 design next year. This will leave just two OLED models in 2018. While I think it makes sense for them to do iPhone XI (11), I think it's more likely that they just couldn't come up with a better moniker, and so that's what it ended up being. Just a one off.

My best guess is they just do "The iPhone" and "The iPhone plus" next year. If not this, then maybe some sort of series naming scheme, similar to the Apple Watch.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I definitely think they'll abandon the 's' rotation. There's stigma attached to those releases now, that they're not worth it if you have the previous year's model. Apple won't like that. They won't like anything that could slow sales.

I'm with others who expect 2018, or perhaps 2019, to have just two OLED phones released, labelled X1, X2 etc.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
9 will be the recycled edition of what the SE did with previous parts. It will have some new items but mainly recycled materials. This is just spec, but makes sense when you think of all the old parts they'll have in reserve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.