Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noles1983

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
San Antonio, TX
My guess/hope is next year will have a more refined X model and also a larger version of it. The X will replace iPhone 8 and cost the $699+ and the larger X will be the plus version at $799. They only did it this year with iPhone 8/8+ due to production limitations on the OLED screens.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
My guess/hope is next year will have a more refined X model and also a larger version of it. The X will replace iPhone 8 and cost the $699+ and the larger X will be the plus version at $799. They only did it this year with iPhone 8/8+ due to production limitations on the OLED screens.

If reports are true about the X having less margins for Apple than the 8/8 plus models (due to the display cost and face ID), than I'm not sure how feasible it is for Apple to have the X models replace the 8 model price point.

Aside from this, what you said was my thought as well. I'm thinking there will only be an iPhone 7 (kept around for a budget alternative to SE), SE, and X models next year, but the X will remain at $999, or maybe $899 at the lowest.

noles1983

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
San Antonio, TX
If reports are true about the X having less margins for Apple than the 8/8 plus models (due to the display cost and face ID), than I'm not sure how feasible it is for Apple to have the X models replace the 8 model price point.

Aside from this, what you said was my thought as well. I'm thinking there will only be an iPhone 7, SE, and X models next year, but the X will remain at $999, or maybe $899 at the lowest.

Well I'm also assuming OLED pricing come down and the fact that they can manufacture enough to get sufficient (for them) profit margin. I just fail to see a long term successful strategy at the $999 price. We shall see, people don't seem to mind having to finance phones because they are too expensive.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Well I'm also assuming OLED pricing come down and the fact that they can manufacture enough to get sufficient (for them) profit margin. I just fail to see a long term successful strategy at the $999 price. We shall see, people don't seem to mind having to finance phones because they are too expensive.

I think even when factoring in LG production for next year, that will mostly be for the larger model, and is not going to help hedge against leaning primarily on Samsung for 2018. I agree in the long term, but I'd think it's definitely not possible for next year, and certainly not possible to bring the price down $100-200 in a single year.

I believe the cost of the LCD panel is $40-60, and the cost of the OLED panel is $120-140. So even if they got free panels, that still wouldn't allow them to bring down the cost to $700 lol.

noles1983

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I think even when factoring in LG production for next year, that will mostly be for the larger model, and is not going to help hedge against leaning primarily on Samsung for 2018. I agree in the long term, but I'd think it's definitely not possible for next year, and certainly not possible to bring the price down $100-200 in a single year.

I believe the cost of the LCD panel is $40-60, and the cost of the OLED panel is $120-140.

Probably right, I'm just being hopeful. I am getting the 8 to last me a few years until the price of the X comes down, I refuse to pay that much for a phone. Although if it didn't have that notch, I would consider it, that sealed the deal for me. Maybe next year they will make it more aesthetically pleasing?

Reactions: Vanilla35

ItnStln

Suspended
Aug 29, 2017

That would be ideal

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Just to add to other posts above, margin/pricing is a big issue for Apple.

If on one side they priced the iPhone X at $999, on the other side they lowered the SE to $349 and kept the iPhone 6S at $449 (with 32Gb to boot!).

For sure, next year, they will have the iPhone 7 for sale at $449 and will lower the price by $100 for the iPhone 8/8 plus.

What they will put on the previous launch pricing ($699/799) is anyone’s guess, but an iPhone 8s is not out of context here. The interesting thing is that there’s no base model at $899, so my guess is that this year’s iPhone X will be lowered by $100 to fill this price slot.

Hence my guess that a new iPhone XI (eleven) will be sold at $999.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Probably right, I'm just being hopeful. I am getting the 8 to last me a few years until the price of the X comes down, I refuse to pay that much for a phone. Although if it didn't have that notch, I would consider it, that sealed the deal for me. Maybe next year they will make it more aesthetically pleasing?

Yeah same here, I don't plan on spending $1000 for notchville until it at least has Pro Motion in it.

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2017
The naming scheme is way too cluttered. Nearly as bad as the iPads from Nov 2015-March 2017.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.