Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFan83

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2017
ok I may have to change my opinion a bit, Im having issue playing non 4K movies from iTunes, I played Civil War and the picture quality is great but the motion makes me feel sick. Weird as I don't notice this on Netflix or TV apps, just on iTunes.

tomandshell

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
ok I may have to change my opinion a bit, Im having issue playing non 4K movies from iTunes, I played Civil War and the picture quality is great but the motion makes me feel sick. Weird as I don't notice this on Netflix or TV apps, just on iTunes.

Same here. Non-HDR content doesn’t look great when the box forces it out that way rather than switch video settings. Not a smooth picture at all.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
I was considering it. Got to say I am coming around to it. I also hope that future updates address certain issues. 4K is coming across really well, however mixed results with HD and forced UHD and HDR. Still messing, keeping the lid on my ire without giving it a fair go.

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
I think these are major issues but I'm confident they will be addressed.

same here.

I'm not watching a massive amount of different media in one sitting where switching back and forth will be that much of a pain right now. This seems to be something a software change could fix, so I'm holding tight. I'm sending my feedback to Apple and we'll all see what will be done

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Not seeing a lot of difference right now between Apple tv 4 and 4k. Picture for non 4k content looks better on the older atv to be honest. I'm tempted to return as well and wait for Apple to iron out issues.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Why would XFINITY bother with 4k boxes when they downconvert 1080i cable channels to 720p? Comcast video quality is deliberately awful.

Because they will be streaming in 4K. Just because they downconvert now, doesn't mean they will in the future. That's the point of them working on their 4K Rollout plan and honestly I can't tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p so I don't particularly care about that.

piperatthegates

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Provo, UT
THERE IS NO SWITCH ISSUE!!!!

Especially if you follow all these steps and set your Apple TV 4K to chroma 4:2:2

Get the best picture
Apple TV 4K is designed to provide the best viewing experience based on the capabilities of your 4K television. In some situations, you may experience issues or need to manually check your configuration. This could include:

• Television image is tinted, color is too bright, or has intermittent or no video.
  • Intermittent static, snow, or sparkles on the screen.
  • Unable to use HDR or Dolby Vision on a supported television.
  • Audio issues, like audio drops, noise, or audio/video out of sync.
If you have any of these issues, follow the steps below.

divider.png

1-step-in-circle-custom-graphic-icon.png

Make sure that your television supports HDR10 or Dolby Vision
In order for Apple TV 4K to automatically set your display format to HDR10 or Dolby Vision, your television must be able to display HDR10 or Dolby Vision at 60Hz (50Hz in Europe).* If you aren’t sure which formats your television supports, check the user manual for your television.

divider.png

2-step-in-circle-custom-graphic-icon.png

Use the correct HDMI input and settings
Depending on your television, you may need to use a different HDMI input on your television for high quality 4K or HDR video. For example, some televisions only support HDR on HDMI input 2 or HDMI input 3. Check your television’s user guide to identify which inputs support 4K and HDR.

In addition to using the correct HDMI input, you may need to enable HDR10 or Dolby Vision in the video or HDMI settings on your television. In some cases, the setting may not refer directly to HDR10 or Dolby Vision, examples include Ultra, Deep, or Enhanced video or color.

divider.png

3-step-in-circle-custom-graphic-icon.png

Update the software on your television
If you have a display issue, such as color that is tinted or too bright, partial images, or audio/video sync, make sure that your television is using the most recent software. Most 4K-capable televisions and receivers can connect to a Wi-Fi or Ethernet network to update the software. For instructions on how to update the software, check the built-in help for your television, the owner’s manual, or manufacturer’s website.

divider.png

4-step-in-circle-custom-graphic-icon.png

Check your HDMI cable
4K video, especially HDR10 and Dolby Vision, requires an HDMI cable compatible with these formats. Apple recommends HDMI cables that have the Compatible Dolby Vision mark as they have been tested with Apple TV 4K and a wide range of televisions. An example is the Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable.

divider.png

5-step-in-circle-custom-graphic-icon.png

Check other components
If you're using other components, like an audio video receiver, HDMI switch, or sound bar, temporarily connect your Apple TV 4K directly to your television. If the issue doesn’t occur when directly connected to your television, check the following:

Receiver or sound bar
If you're using an audio video receiver or sound bar, you should check its capabilities, connections, settings, as well as the following:

• Verify that your receiver is capable of displaying 4K and higher video, and that you're using HDMI inputs that support 4K and HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 signals.
  • Receivers that support HDR10 or Dolby Vision often require a firmware update to add this support.
  • Check the video and HDMI settings on your receiver after updating, as you may need to enable enhanced HDMI in settings.
  • Make sure that all the HDMI cables connecting your Apple TV 4K to your television and receiver are compatible with 4K and HDR video.
Other HDMI accessories
HDMI switch boxes, HDMI splitters, or other accessories that connect your Apple TV 4K to your television may interfere with the HDMI signal. If you’re able to resolve the issue after removing these, check with the manufacturer to determine whether they support 4K and HDR video.

Reactions: jbuckner

Poontaco

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2014
THERE IS NO SWITCH ISSUE!!!!

Especially if you follow all these steps and set your Apple TV 4K to chroma 4:2:2

Get the best picture
Apple TV 4K is designed to provide the best viewing experience based on the capabilities of your 4K television. In some situations, you may experience issues or need to manually check your configuration. This could include:

• Television image is tinted, color is too bright, or has intermittent or no video.
  • Intermittent static, snow, or sparkles on the screen.
  • Unable to use HDR or Dolby Vision on a supported television.
  • Audio issues, like audio drops, noise, or audio/video out of sync.
If you have any of these issues, follow the steps below.

divider.png

1-step-in-circle-custom-graphic-icon.png

Make sure that your television supports HDR10 or Dolby Vision
In order for Apple TV 4K to automatically set your display format to HDR10 or Dolby Vision, your television must be able to display HDR10 or Dolby Vision at 60Hz (50Hz in Europe).* If you aren’t sure which formats your television supports, check the user manual for your television.

divider.png

2-step-in-circle-custom-graphic-icon.png

Use the correct HDMI input and settings
Depending on your television, you may need to use a different HDMI input on your television for high quality 4K or HDR video. For example, some televisions only support HDR on HDMI input 2 or HDMI input 3. Check your television’s user guide to identify which inputs support 4K and HDR.

In addition to using the correct HDMI input, you may need to enable HDR10 or Dolby Vision in the video or HDMI settings on your television. In some cases, the setting may not refer directly to HDR10 or Dolby Vision, examples include Ultra, Deep, or Enhanced video or color.

divider.png

3-step-in-circle-custom-graphic-icon.png

Update the software on your television
If you have a display issue, such as color that is tinted or too bright, partial images, or audio/video sync, make sure that your television is using the most recent software. Most 4K-capable televisions and receivers can connect to a Wi-Fi or Ethernet network to update the software. For instructions on how to update the software, check the built-in help for your television, the owner’s manual, or manufacturer’s website.

divider.png

4-step-in-circle-custom-graphic-icon.png

Check your HDMI cable
4K video, especially HDR10 and Dolby Vision, requires an HDMI cable compatible with these formats. Apple recommends HDMI cables that have the Compatible Dolby Vision mark as they have been tested with Apple TV 4K and a wide range of televisions. An example is the Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable.

divider.png

5-step-in-circle-custom-graphic-icon.png

Check other components
If you're using other components, like an audio video receiver, HDMI switch, or sound bar, temporarily connect your Apple TV 4K directly to your television. If the issue doesn’t occur when directly connected to your television, check the following:

Receiver or sound bar
If you're using an audio video receiver or sound bar, you should check its capabilities, connections, settings, as well as the following:

• Verify that your receiver is capable of displaying 4K and higher video, and that you're using HDMI inputs that support 4K and HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 signals.
  • Receivers that support HDR10 or Dolby Vision often require a firmware update to add this support.
  • Check the video and HDMI settings on your receiver after updating, as you may need to enable enhanced HDMI in settings.
  • Make sure that all the HDMI cables connecting your Apple TV 4K to your television and receiver are compatible with 4K and HDR video.
Other HDMI accessories
HDMI switch boxes, HDMI splitters, or other accessories that connect your Apple TV 4K to your television may interfere with the HDMI signal. If you’re able to resolve the issue after removing these, check with the manufacturer to determine whether they support 4K and HDR video.

Yes there is.
The Apple TV clearly converts SDR material to HDR.
The results are not great.
If the Apple TV "switched" between HDR and SDR depending on the source material, this would not be an issue.

piperatthegates

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Provo, UT
Yes there is.
The Apple TV clearly converts SDR material to HDR.
The results are not great.
If the Apple TV "switched" between HDR and SDR depending on the source material, this would not be an issue.

I don’t know, once I followed those steps with exactness both SDR, HDR, 1080p looked consistently good on on the 4K HDR @60Hz setting.

Prior to those steps, I would agree there is a major switching issue

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Right...SDR and HDR are two entirely different color spaces. Whites are blown out and blacks a bit crushed when watching SDR material converted to HDR. The ATV needs to switch to HDR only when an HDR signal is being presented. This is an easy fix. Let the user select the primary viewing method and select which HDR sources the set supports so that it can switch to those in the presence of whatever HDR signal is given.

Reactions: bluespark and B737

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Yeah, mine is going back. I'm going to hold onto it this week, incase Apple rolls out an update. However I'm doubtful they'll be able to within the return window. The ATV 4 performs better than the 4K ATV. The conversion from SDR to HDR is all over the place. The screen judder on some content is jarring. Most of the 4K movies look worse than their 1080P counterparts. It doesn't matter the source being iTunes or Netflix. Netflix in 4K performs and looks better on my native TV app than the 4K version on the ATV.

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
No settings will ever help.
Every SDR to HDR upscaling progress destroys the pure native look of a movie. Thats just a fact. But of course there are some people who might like that look. Tastes are different. But I hope no Cinematographer ever gets his hand on an ATV 4k and Apple´s idear of how every movie should look like :eek:

iFan83

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2017
I don’t know, once I followed those steps with exactness both SDR, HDR, 1080p looked consistently good on on the 4K HDR @60Hz setting.

Prior to those steps, I would agree there is a major switching issue

I have motion issues with mine on non 4K movies, theres an issue with the Apple TV up converting everything, they need a pass through option. It only seems to affect iTunes as 1080P on Netflix and the TV apps seem fine at the moment.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
How do you see info for what the movie or show is playing at? For example, I want to watch a Dolby vision hdr. Do I need to Force that in the settings menu to get that output? I’m trying John wick.

JEboomin

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
I too agree that the lack of auto switching resolutions is silly, but Im ok with setting it to 4K SDR 60hz for normal viewing. This way the Apple TV is simply doing the upscale that any 4K TV would normally do anyway.

I’m watching Monday Night Football via PlayStation Vue and I’m leaning towards thinking that the Apple TV does a better job of 4K upscaling than my TV does (LG C7). My only inconvenience at the moment is switching to Dolby/HDR when needed. I don’t like it, but it’s not really that big of a deal for me.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
I returned mine to the Apple Store after 6 painful hours of trying to get the POS to work - everything from no signal to an inability to get signed in. Apple Support was of little help - all the usual BS of power cycling the modem & router & 4k ATV - swapping inputs & cables. Not ready for prime time based on my experience. My ATV 3 is back in use and performing very well feeding a 1080 signal to our 65" SONY A1E OLED - the SONY up converts it - impressive picture. It looks like Amazon will be releasing a new Firre tv shortly - will give it a try.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
According to all the reviews my C7 Cinema Mode and EXP modes, supposedly, is a very close match to what "calibration" accomplishes out of the box. I've also used calibration disks in the past and honestly I think most "calibration," makes the picture look look dark and washed out. I also wouldn't pay $200 to have my TV "professionally calibrated," I think it's mostly a scam. But that's just me.
It's no more a "scam" than having a piano tuned. Could you tune your piano yourself? Sure. Can you choose to not tune the piano? Sure. But it probably won't be good and is going make your very expensive piano sound like a cheap piano.

First, using a "calibration disc" isn't a real calibration. You need equipment to accurately measure what you're changing, as well as knowledge of knowing what settings to change, and in what order. Many high end tvs will also have "secret" service menus that give you access to even more settings than the normal menu that will be hard to decipher if you you don't understand them.

A professional calibrator performs a (real) service and charges a hefty fee for it. It seems expensive to most but real calibration equipment costs thousands of dollars, even tens of thousands, they have to recoup those costs somehow. Only you can decide whether it's worth it for you, and for most people it is going to seem too expensive, but it's not a scam.

That said, tvs todays tend to come with some presets that are a lot better than they were 10+ years ago. Whatever they call "Cinema" mode tends to be the most accurate and closest to what a manual calibration would give you. As you mention, most people don't like this at first and will pass it over. You say it makes the picture look "dark and washed out" and that is true, compared to the standard out of the box look. Most people also say it looks too soft and too reddish-yellowish. That's because the out of the box look tends to be too bright, over-sharpened, and too cool (blue). However, if you give it some time, like a week, you will hopefully find it hard to go back to the original. Those are the settings that will give you the most accurate color (as the director and cinematographer intended it to look), the most dynamic range (detail visible in both highlight and shadow areas) and the best detail (no sharpening/edging artifacts).

I would start with Cinema mode and then tweak a little to your taste and environment. Like if you watch in a bright room (hopefully not), you may need to bring the brightness/backlight up a bit. If it still looks too flat, maybe nudge contrast up a bit, pull black levels down a bit, increase saturation a bit.
[doublepost=1506409985][/doublepost]
My only inconvenience at the moment is switching to Dolby/HDR when needed. I don’t like it, but it’s not really that big of a deal for me.
You have to turn HDR on and off? That's really annoying.

mmm1345

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
It's no more a "scam" than having a piano tuned. Could you tune your piano yourself? Sure. Can you choose to not tune the piano? Sure. But it probably won't be good and is going make your very expensive piano sound like a cheap piano.

First, using a "calibration disc" isn't a real calibration. You need equipment to accurately measure what you're changing, as well as knowledge of knowing what settings to change, and in what order. Many high end tvs will also have "secret" service menus that give you access to even more settings than the normal menu that will be hard to decipher if you you don't understand them.

A professional calibrator performs a (real) service and charges a hefty fee for it. It seems expensive to most but real calibration equipment costs thousands of dollars, even tens of thousands, they have to recoup those costs somehow. Only you can decide whether it's worth it for you, and for most people it is going to seem too expensive, but it's not a scam.

That said, tvs todays tend to come with some presets that are a lot better than they were 10+ years ago. Whatever they call "Cinema" mode tends to be the most accurate and closest to what a manual calibration would give you. As you mention, most people don't like this at first and will pass it over. You say it makes the picture look "dark and washed out" and that is true, compared to the standard out of the box look. Most people also say it looks too soft and too reddish-yellowish. That's because the out of the box look tends to be too bright, over-sharpened, and too cool (blue). However, if you give it some time, like a week, you will hopefully find it hard to go back to the original. Those are the settings that will give you the most accurate color (as the director and cinematographer intended it to look), the most dynamic range (detail visible in both highlight and shadow areas) and the best detail (no sharpening/edging artifacts).

I would start with Cinema mode and then tweak a little to your taste and environment. Like if you watch in a bright room (hopefully not), you may need to bring the brightness/backlight up a bit. If it still looks too flat, maybe nudge contrast up a bit, pull black levels down a bit, increase saturation a bit.
[doublepost=1506409985][/doublepost]
You have to turn HDR on and off? That's really annoying.

Since I used to play the Piano, your analogy hits home :) Perhaps scam isn't the word i want to use, more like not worth it for me.

Reactions: HiRez and Poontaco

Pug72

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2012
England
Apart from the fact I felt I had to return, I have to applaud Apple yet again for excellence customer service.

Delivered Friday, arranged return and dropped off at a UPS pickup point yesterday morning. Return completed and refunded today.

I'll keep my eye on things and am definitely interested in trying again if updates cure my issues.

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
Anyone with the new Apple TV 4K and beta access want to try tvos 11.1 and see if it adds an automatic switching option?

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
Anyone with the new Apple TV 4K and beta access want to try tvos 11.1 and see if it adds an automatic switching option?
Im not sure at all, that we ever will get the automatic switching. But if, i bet it will take some time.

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I returned mine to the Apple Store after 6 painful hours of trying to get the POS to work - everything from no signal to an inability to get signed in. Apple Support was of little help - all the usual BS of power cycling the modem & router & 4k ATV - swapping inputs & cables. Not ready for prime time based on my experience. My ATV 3 is back in use and performing very well feeding a 1080 signal to our 65" SONY A1E OLED - the SONY up converts it - impressive picture. It looks like Amazon will be releasing a new Firre tv shortly - will give it a try.
Tim Cook has grown the iphone, iPad , watch and tv product lines. Your signature is baseless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.