Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
What's even easier is having the ATV automatically switch it for you, rather than going through the 10-14 steps to switch back and forth between two resolutions. Just because you're used to doing it doesn't mean it's not a problem.

And if you're not using the native settings for your video sources, then you never cared about this issue to begin with. Regardless, the rest of us do care to have the correct image for any given video source without having to know in advance what those settings are and then digging through nested menus to change it every time.

I agree, having Apple finally implement to Auto Switching is fantastic! Most people have such busy lives that they honestly would not bother going into a menu system to manually select frame rates etc. They've got so many other things on their mind which means that they may not be experiencing ATV at its best. Now, they will - if they remember to turn this feature on of course. :)

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
What's even easier is having the ATV automatically switch it for you, rather than going through the 10-14 steps to switch back and forth between two resolutions. Just because you're used to doing it doesn't mean it's not a problem.

And if you're not using the native settings for your video sources, then you never cared about this issue to begin with. Regardless, the rest of us do care to have the correct image for any given video source without having to know in advance what those settings are and then digging through nested menus to change it every time.
• But it isn't a problem for me. The only person who can say that is… me. But thanks for whining on my behalf?
• It's not 10-14 steps (for me). I personally just double click the TV icon button, switch apps to the Settings menu, and switch to the correct format. It's like… 4 or 5 steps. And by steps I mean thumb taps.
• I… do care about the correct image for each video source. That's why I'm switching between formats…(??? lol). Between 24 SDR for most things, 60 SDR when YouTube browsing (because there's a lot of higher frame rate stuff I'm watching) and other non-video apps. And Dolby for some Netflix and iTunes content. It's not that difficult for me, and I'm not seeing the need to cry or be outraged because the Apple TV won't machine-learn my preferences. But again -- thank you for whining on my behalf and insisting that it's a problem for me.

And just to clarify -- If Apple software updates with an automatic switching preference, that'll be great. I just probably won't use it because it probably still won't know when I want 24 or 60Hz.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
• But it isn't a problem for me. The only person who can say that is… me. But thanks for whining on my behalf?
• It's not 10-14 steps (for me). I personally just double click the TV icon button, switch apps to the Settings menu, and switch to the correct format. It's like… 4 or 5 steps. And by steps I mean thumb taps.
• I… do care about the correct image for each video source. That's why I'm switching between formats…(??? lol). Between 24 SDR for most things, 60 SDR when YouTube browsing (because there's a lot of higher frame rate stuff I'm watching) and other non-video apps. And Dolby for some Netflix and iTunes content. It's not that difficult for me, and I'm not seeing the need to cry or be outraged because the Apple TV won't machine-learn my preferences. But again -- thank you for whining on my behalf and insisting that it's a problem for me.

And just to clarify -- If Apple software updates with an automatic switching preference, that'll be great. I just probably won't use it because it probably still won't know when I want 24 or 60Hz.

Interesting look at it dude, but it's going to be great for everyone else. I'll be honest, I've used Macs since I was a child for 22 years and yet until a year of so ago, I knew nothing about frame rates and switching. Yes, I saw the horrible panning judder and guess what, I blamed it on the fact that it must be because iTunes is American and i'm trying to watch it on my European TV system. I thought it must have been NTSC instead of PAL.
And that's me who has worked in media for 10 years and an interest in the field.
Each to their own, but Auto switching is a true essential for any appliance in the Internet age. I just wish that Macs would adjust because some films panning / judder badly on my MacBook. I guess it's screaming for ProMotion!

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Sure it will. It just matches the Hz to the content source. I can’t think of any situation where this is not what you would want.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

With all due respect, it takes just as many steps to switch on your ATV 4K as it does mine. And the fact you are using the Home button is actually adding steps to the fastest way I've found to do it:

1) Let's say I'm watching CBS streaming programming in 1080p 60Hz SDR, and I want to watch a movie on iTunes, which I know to be 4K 24Hz HDR (and that's assuming I know the native source I'm switching to). I press the mic button and ask Siri to take me to Settings.

**YOUR 3 ADDED STEPS by not using Siri:
a) double clicking the Home button takes you to the home screen (personally I find just holding down the Menu button faster, but to each his own), where you then have to scroll to the Settings app and select it.
b) then you are forced to drill down into the menus to get to the display settings, starting with selecting Audio and Video.
c) then in the AV sub-menu, you have to scroll down to Format menu and select it.

2) Let's say I only go to Settings to change my video format. So it's already on the last mode I selected.** From there, I swipe down to get to the "Other" options, to take me to the second page of format settings.

3) On the second page, I scroll down to 4K 24Hz HDR.

4) Then it asks me to confirm the setting (in the event my TV does not support it).

5) Then I tell Siri to take me to iTunes, where I watch my 4K HDR movie.

6) After the movie I want to go back to CBS, so I ask Siri to go back to Settings.

7) Hopefully Settings is still open to my last selection.** If so, I have to hit the Menu button to take me back to the main video format page.

8) Then I scroll up to the 1080p 60Hz SDR setting and select it.

9) I confirm that setting.

10) I ask Siri to take me to CBS.

**if for some reason the Settings have reverted to the main Settings menu, as sometimes happens for no reason I can correlate, I have to add the following steps:

11) Navigate to the audio/video settings menu and select.

12) Navigate to the Format menu, and select. Then proceed from step 2 above.

13 & 14) Repeat steps 11 & 12 if necessary to revert, and proceed from step 7 above.

**Because you don't use Siri, you have to add 2 extra steps to this every time.**

But enjoy doing this, every time you change screen resolution. Looks like you won't be turning on the automatic native match feature, and continue to research/guess what native format your source material is.
[doublepost=1509560948][/doublepost]
Sure it will. It just matches the Hz to the content source. I can’t think of any situation where this is not what you would want.

Agreed. I have no idea whether source material I am watching is encoded for 24fps, 29.97drop frame, 30fps, or even 60fps. As far as I know that information is not necessarily published handily for most source material. And even so, why would I want to go through the trouble of looking it up and then go through the 10-14 steps I have to take to manually switch into it?

I always want the source material presented in its native format. The only time I wouldn't is if I want to be able to zoom/crop it on my TV which disables that ability on 4K source.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyb3rdud3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.