Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matsan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2022
Been using for a couple of days. As noted by others is missing several long-standing features, and for this reason really should still be in beta. However, Sonos have said most of the missing features will return within 2-3 months so what I'm more concerned about is the app is pretty sluggish in the sense that pages/views take a long time to fully load when navigating around the app. I'm wondering if it will get to a point where it will be snappy or if there will always be a sluggishness to it.

In terms of UI and navigation (ignoring speed), I think it's probably a bit better than the old version. Certainly didn't take long to get used to it.
Since they have also released a webapp, my guess they are just wrapping the webapp in cordova (or something similar) for their different platforms. One code base but sluggish performance.

matsan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2022
Since they have also released a webapp, my guess they are just wrapping the webapp in cordova (or something similar) for their different platforms. One code base but sluggish performance.
But, the webapp is pretty cool - can manage our multiple sites.

delnerdo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
The outdated version still runs on an outdated mini pad

New version seems quicker to regroup rooms.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

Yeah, I suppose. Hope they can make it faster. It's super sluggish for me.

But, the webapp is pretty cool - can manage our multiple sites.

I'm ok with them ditching the Win/Mac apps in favour of a web app. Means I can now more easily control from Linux and ChromeOS Flex machines. But I wish it were possible to use it to control the local system without logging into a Sonos.com account (like is possible with the mobile apps). I'm not keen on giving my Sonos.com account to everyone in my house as it gives everyone full admin control over the system. Would be good if they could perhaps release a browser extension to enable web app to control local system without going via Sonos.com, or some other way of allowing others to use web app without giving away full system owner account credentials.

walterwhite1

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022
Rather than focus on this new app they should have put all their resources into getting the iPhone volume buttons working again. This is far more likely to drive new customers or keep existing ones as it’s very basic functionality that android users still have. This is laughable now. Oh and somehow they’ve managed to make the volume control within the new app even slower to change the volume on the Sonos speakers. Terrible. The whole app is very sluggish to change tracks as well.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Rather than focus on this new app they should have put all their resources into getting the iPhone volume buttons working again. This is far more likely to drive new customers or keep existing ones as it’s very basic functionality that android users still have. This is laughable now.

What's the volume issue on iOS? (I'm using Android at the moment)

walterwhite1

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022
My take is it that Sonos have 2 problems.

1) More and more people use Spotify or Apple Music to control the system rather than the app. That essentially just makes them the hardware and they want to be more than that. They want to be the destination rather than just some dumb pipeline. They think their ability to aggregate services differentiates them (i.e. you could have a playlist with Apple Music, Spotify and Tidal content and not notice anything).

2) They have a lot of devices they need to support natively and want consistency without the headache of different code basis

Given that I've just seen the new web version at play.sonos.com, they are going the react/elektron or whatever web UI route just like all the other platforms (Netflix, Amazon etc). So they just have 1 code base and deliver to everywhere.

They've also got a launch timeline because of these headphones so they needed to launch. They probably know from stats that timers and alarms are not used by everyone so thought they'd get away with for a while.
But then there using these web ui's and its still not native and will have problems. MS teams, etc etc all needed a lot of work to make them run smoothly using this type of development.

I think it will get there, but I feel it will take a while. But I do question the concept of wanting everyone to use Sonos app instead of Spotify etc.. but not giving them a native, 1st class experience. I cant see that working out in the long term. Also, most users will only have 1 service so what really is the point?
You can only control Sonos via the Spotify app, not Apple Music on iOS.

walterwhite1

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022
What's the volume issue on iOS? (I'm using Android at the moment)
With android you can turn the Sonos volume up and down with the phone volume buttons. You can’t do that on iOS. It was pulled a couple of years ago. Sonos said it was to hard to get right lol. But in the new app even changing the volume via the software is terrible. Today I counted 10 seconds between changing the volume in the app and the speaker volume actually changing!

Reactions: ozaz

silverdollar

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
europe
Open letter to sonos ceo patrick spence
ceo@sonos.com
---
Dear Patrick,

After significant investments in your Sonos smart home system with Alexa support, I am deeply disappointed by the latest update, which has substantially deteriorated the user experience. I am not alone in this sentiment. Many of your customers, who have similar high expectations and investments in your products, are also ready to organize. Should there not be an immediate and significant improvement, we are prepared to create a public momentum that could ultimately harm the value of your brand, Sonos.

I look forward to a prompt response that demonstrates your commitment to not only the needs but also the voices of your most loyal customers.

With concerned regards, Arne
----

Feel free to send your personal Version to patrick spence at his official email address ceo@sonos.com

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
So why push the release if they have not had the time to implement basic functions? What were they thinking? The users are gonna live the half baked app and are surely fine waiting for all the core functions? Why not just finish the damn app and release it when it’s done??
Because there are directors/VP's that lose their credibility if they don't get "something new" released. They don't care if it's any good or not. They just want to be able to report that "they got something released."

John_Blackthorne

macrumors member
May 4, 2024
Chiraq
But why? They are just asking for it from people who read sites like this. I don't use Sonos--I'll bet the users like the product/service so much, they don't even care.

But to those of us on the outside? WTF??

John_Blackthorne

macrumors member
May 4, 2024
Chiraq
What, exactly, is the advantage of Sonos? I use Apple Music (happily), have two HomePod Minis and one OG HomePod. What am I missing out on?

Can a Sonos user educate me (nicely)?

silverdollar

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
europe
Courage?

The key difference between courage and foolishness is that courage involves thoughtfully taking risks with a realistic assessment of potential dangers deemed acceptable, whereas foolishness is marked by reckless decisions made without proper consideration of the consequences.

It has yet to be seen, if this really was courageous.

• Haha
Reactions: PantherKang

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
They missed, "Can't Innovate Anymore My A**".
lol I still love that line and keynote specifically for this.

Unfortunately Woz has been seriously quite since then about the company he's co-founded. I'm hoping he hasn't bowed out of the public light since then. I feel his insight and commentary actually pushed Apple - even if, like the Trash-can, they continually are blind to what is going on around them.

• Wow

silverdollar

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
europe
What, exactly, is the advantage of Sonos? I use Apple Music (happily), have two HomePod Minis and one OG HomePod. What am I missing out on?

Hi, a kind description of my personal experience with the latest Apple audio hardware software
I have been a Mac enthusiast since 1985, with lots of experience - both professionally and personally.

Music crashes on my Mac; it's buggy, and the and the user interface often stalls. If you depend on accessibility, Voice commands, and smart home things like opening the door of your house from your bed cause you are capable of doing it yourself, likewise with lights switches, heating systems, timers, alarm clocks, etc. And you tried to organize your independent living in your own household without permanent physical assistance, trying to relate on Siri or Apple HomePod2, well... Good luck... I just sold 5 Apple HPs because it turned out that the central system, Siri/Home, is everything but smart; actually, I would call it brain dead on arrival.

Last edited:

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I opened the app yesterday to check it out and it was immediately pretty confusing. I am so happy that I don't really need to use the app ever - AirPlay has me covered.

John_Blackthorne

macrumors member
May 4, 2024
Chiraq
Hi, a kind description of my personal experience with the latest Apple audio hardware software
I have been a Mac enthusiast since 1985, with lots of experience - both professionally and personally.

Music crashes on my Mac; it's buggy, and the and the user interface often stalls. If you depend on accessibility, Voice commands, and smart home things like opening the door of your house from your bed cause you are capable of doing it yourself, likewise with lights switches, heating systems, timers, alarm clocks, etc. And you tried to organize your independent living in your own household without permanent physical assistance, trying to relate on Siri or Apple HomePod2, well... Good luck... I just sold 5 Apple HPs because it turned out that the central system, Siri/Home, is everything but smart; actually, I would call it brain dead on arrival.
Thanks for the reply. I don't use HomePod for any accessibility or "smart" things. Just music.

DPH

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Sarpsborg, Norway
Still impressed that people buy that, so far behind other.

If you really need to go a sonos type of route please do yourself a favour, look at Bluesound.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Taking a move from the Apple playbook I see

But you know, for all the crap that Apple got for removing the headphone jack, and maybe deservedly so, you can't deny the positive impact they had on improving the wireless headphone market. I'm not sure what positive impact Sonos thinks they'll have here.
Apple stood to benefit greatly from pushing people towards the wireless headphone market because of their multiple (FFS) AirPod models and their Beats product lines. It's just capitalism, not the best interest of the consumer.

Sonos doesn't appear to have any other agenda than to have stuffed up.

• Haha

carswell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023

The main thing is that Sonos has a much bigger hardware ecosystem. There are several sizes of speakers, including some rather big and loud ones, subwoofers and portable speakers, not to mention soundbars and in-ceiling and outdoor models. Sonos also has devices like the Amp and Connect that let you add non-Sonos speakers and sound systems respectively to the Sonos system. And though it's subjective, Sonos speakers are generally slightly higher rated for sound quality than their Apple counterparts (when those counterparts exist).

The range of third-party services that can be integrated into the Sonos app is huge and, once integrated, they work seamlessly albeit with a slightly reduced function set. Well, at least on the old app; the new one has broken the link with CBC Listen on my phone. Not sure that Apple can beat that, especially in terms of providing access to the services all in one app.

I used to subscribe to Apple Music but put off by its inability to stream lossless and hi-res to most non-Apple systems, including Sonos, I switched to Qobuz and haven't looked back. Am now seriously questioning the wisdom of my heavy investment in Sonos, however.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I like it. The old app looked dated. Guess that's controversial 🤷‍♀️
You are missing the point. The aesthetics on the new app are undoubtedly an improvement. But what good are nice looks without key, expected and typical functionality? And some of the functionality that is there right now is very buggy.

Moreover, if you look at the ads and press touting the new app before it was released, some of the missing functionality is depicted in those ads. So clearly something went wrong - that is, this was rushed out the door as an unfinished product, but instead of saying anything before or even on the day of the release, SONOS pretended all was normal. It clearly isn’t.

So no one is talking about how great the app redesign looks. Instead they are talking about how it WORKS (or doesn’t work).

Reactions: silverdollar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.