Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
What, exactly, is the advantage of Sonos? I use Apple Music (happily), have two HomePod Minis and one OG HomePod. What am I missing out on?

Can a Sonos user educate me (nicely)?
It’s great for streaming music services (including Apple Music), podcasts or whatever, on decent sounding speakers throughout your home. And you can group speakers in different rooms so it is playing exactly in synch - great for entertaining or moving room to room. And you can control them in each location either physically, via the app (aside from the current app issue), or your voice via Alexa or Google. And you can also stream your own music collection from your PC or from a server. I use it for news, music, quick weather updates, alarms and timers.

The use cases are endless and the quantity of services available is superb.

I have a stereo pair in my office, a speaker in my kitchen, in my bedroom, a portable Sonos speaker in my bathroom, and a Sonos device called a Port which allows the same streaming and functionality via my 5.1 passive speaker system, by attaching the Port to my AVR (Marantz receiver).

Reactions: John_Blackthorne

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the reply. I don't use HomePod for any accessibility or "smart" things. Just music.
That OG Home Pod is outstanding in sound quality for its price and size. I haven't tried the new Sonos models that replace the "One," tho - just too ugly.

Yet Apple stopped at that no Bass woofer or soundbar nor upgrade - proper upgrade to TV?! Gads!

silverdollar

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2014
europe
" The use cases are endless and the quantity of services available is superb."

I would have fully agreed to your statement until sonos came up with this latest update. You should reconsider your positive review and praising endless possibilities and superb services as a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edd70

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
What, exactly, is the advantage of Sonos? I use Apple Music (happily), have two HomePod Minis and one OG HomePod. What am I missing out on?

Can a Sonos user educate me (nicely)?

My reason for using Sonos is based on decisions I made around 8 years ago when I was comparing Sonos with Airplay-only and Chromecast-only options. At the time I chose Sonos and haven't really felt compelled to change since then.

At the time, compared to Airplay-only and Chromecast-only options, what I liked about Sonos (and still like) was the ability to control everything from a single app. I know some people complain that when you use the Sonos app to access various services you don't get all the features you get when using the streaming services own apps, but I think for a lot of people the simplicity of a single app can be a good thing, especially if you live in a house where not everyone has much interest in tech and are not keen on switching between different apps to play different content. Along similar lines, I don't know if this is still the case but back then something I disliked with pure Airplay-only and Chromecast-only systems was that if one person in the house started playback from their phone it was not easy for someone else in the house using a different phone to see what was playing on their phone or takeover control. This is really easy with Sonos (and presumably other similar systems that provide a consolidated controller app). Also, my household is cross-platform which basically ruled out an Airplay-only solution anyway, and I found Chromecast to be much less stable than Sonos (although maybe Chromecast has improved since then).

Probably worth mentioning that although you can still use a single app to control everything, Sonos does also support Airplay and provides an API which other apps can use to directly control Sonos speakers with they wish, and a handful of streaming services do use it: https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/stream-audio-to-sonos-from-another-app. So you're no longer forced to only use the Sonos app. I do wish Sonos would add Chromecast support though. If I were ever to switch away from Sonos, I'd only switch to a system that had all three of consolidated controller app, Ariplay support, and Chromecast support.

Last edited:

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Taking a move from the Apple playbook I see

But you know, for all the crap that Apple got for removing the headphone jack, and maybe deservedly so, you can't deny the positive impact they had on improving the wireless headphone market. I'm not sure what positive impact Sonos thinks they'll have here.
True, but they've also paved the way for an environmental disaster. But hey, at least they stopped including Apple stickers with devices now :p

Reactions: Bob-K

Sandovalg2

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2018
I will be missing those “exciting innovations to come from Sonos in the years ahead” since this is the last straw for me! Each Sonos iPhone app upgrade or redesign has made the app less user friendly and less intuitive. This last “revitalization” has taken the app to a level of messiness that goes beyond my willingness to put up with it for “a few more months”. RIP

John_Blackthorne

macrumors member
May 4, 2024
Chiraq
That OG Home Pod is outstanding in sound quality for its price and size. I haven't tried the new Sonos models that replace the "One," tho - just too ugly.

Yet Apple stopped at that no Bass woofer or soundbar nor upgrade - proper upgrade to TV?! Gads!
Okay, it seems from responses if you have a serious music Jones or multiple people in the house, Sonos is a better option

I’m more casual and live alone. Two HP Mini and the OG one are fine for me with Apple Music.

Thanks, all!

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Alexndar

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2024
I bet ya this is someone trying to get a promotion. Hope they don't tank the company in the process.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
" The use cases are endless and the quantity of services available is superb."

I would have fully agreed to your statement until sonos came up with this latest update. You should reconsider your positive review and praising endless possibilities and superb services as a thing of the past.
Are you sure about that? Aren't they simply updating the new app over time to essentially what it was as far as functionality, etc? In other words, they released software too early, but they don't intend to keep it as it is.

My understanding from the timeline they released the other day (after the fiasco of the new release), is they anticipate having most of the core functionality back by the end of June (including alarms, queue management and local music access).

Here is the timeline from the Sonos user Community (this is from a Sonos employee):

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

• Screen reader for visually impaired customers: May 21
  • Adding and editing alarms: May 21
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update Wi-Fi settings: mid-June

Reactions: Bob-K

So.Fa.King

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2024
Are you sure about that? Aren't they simply updating the new app over time to essentially what it was as far as functionality, etc? In other words, they released software too early, but they don't intend to keep it as it is.

My understanding from the timeline they released the other day (after the fiasco of the new release), is they anticipate having most of the core functionality back by the end of June (including alarms, queue management and local music access).

Here is the timeline from the Sonos user Community (this is from a Sonos employee):

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

• Screen reader for visually impaired customers: May 21
  • Adding and editing alarms: May 21
  • Adding to queue and playing next: early June
  • Sleep timer: mid-June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Update Wi-Fi settings: mid-June
Yea, and what’s the over/under odds that Sonos doesn’t meet this timeline.. I’ll take the over..

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Well they already beat one deadline by a week -- alarms are now available again with the latest update today. So they got that out a week ahead of the posted time-line.

I just updated my app to the one released today and it doesn't seem to have brought any alarms.
I'm looking in settings > manage and I don't see any alarms section. Is it located somewhere else?

Am also on Android. Are you using iOS?

EDIT: Just did a system update after the app update and now I have alarms!

Last edited:

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I just updated my app to the one released today and it doesn't seem to have brought any alarms.
I'm looking in settings > manage and I don't see any alarms section. Is it located somewhere else?

Am also on Android. Are you using iOS?

EDIT: Just did a system update after the app update and now I have alarms!
Yes, you have to do yesterday's system (hardware update), as well as the app update today.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Okay, it seems from responses if you have a serious music Jones or multiple people in the house, Sonos is a better option

I’m more casual and live alone. Two HP Mini and the OG one are fine for me with Apple Music.

Thanks, all!
I too live alone - unfortunately plans failed. But its nice to fill the place with a setup to enjoy (like yours) but allows for others to play their choice songs as well - Sonos is a better option for that when iOS+Android people are considered. That's the part where Apple missed - if they loved music they'd see sharing that or making it available to be heard would not be so a) limited to only Apple users, and b) to just Apple Music. :(

Each to their own but hopefully one day, one day, as Apple has incredible Audio Engineers.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
You know what's better than wireless headphones?

WIRED HEADPHONES.

Yes, I'm STILL PISSED about the headphone jack. Apple needs to put it back.
Meanwhile I can walk around my house without a phone and still listen to music.

I would bet you don’t use an audio jack when attached to your Pentium Computer playing sim city 2000. Why would you want it for a portable device?

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Oh, this app is garbage. Just changing the volume across speakers takes multiple steps….
This right here is the BIGGEST problem. Controlling the speakers is job #1. It now takes twice the clicks, and doesn’t always work. It’s less intuitive, I mean….I’m flabbergasted at the number of unforced errors here.

Reactions: carswell

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
This right here is the BIGGEST problem. Controlling the speakers is job #1. It now takes twice the clicks, and doesn’t always work. It’s less intuitive, I mean….I’m flabbergasted at the number of unforced errors here.

Putting aside "doesn't always work" (which is presumably a bug), I don't quite understand what the issue is with volume control UI in the new app? The controls are accessible from the mini now playing bar at the bottom of the app, including both group volume and individual speaker volume. Not sure how it could be more accessible?

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Putting aside "doesn't always work" (which is presumably a bug), I don't quite understand ybaswhat the issue is with volume control UI in the new app? The controls are accessible from the mini now playing bar at the bottom of the app, including both group volume and individual speaker volume. Not sure how it could be more accessible?
On mine, the app doesn’t always know what’s even playing right now. If the TV with the Playbase if currently on, and I open the app, then navigate to the speakers it’ll show nothing playing. Then I start selecting speakers (including the Playbase), hit “apply”, and….all sound stops.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
On mine, the app doesn’t always know what’s even playing right now. If the TV with the Playbase if currently on, and I open the app, then navigate to the speakers it’ll show nothing playing. Then I start selecting speakers (including the Playbase), hit “apply”, and….all sound stops.

But that's a bug rather than a less intuitive UI. I get that there are issues with the new app when it comes to bugs being experienced by some, and some features which haven't yet been added. But I don't find the new UI problematic, and actually prefer the new way of accessing now playing and grouping screens.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
But that's a bug rather than a less intuitive UI. I get that there are issues with the new app when it comes to bugs being experienced by some, and some features which haven't yet been added. But I don't find the new UI problematic, and actually prefer the new way of accessing now playing and grouping screens.
Agree to disagree. You have to dig in a bit with a couple more clicks compared to the old app. I go by "more clicks are bad" for any UI. The old way was faster to use.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Agree to disagree. You have to dig in a bit with a couple more clicks compared to the old app. I go by "more clicks are bad" for any UI. The old way was faster to use.
I guess I may not be following what you're describing. You responded to a comment about controlling volume so I thought that's what you were also referring to. In the old app, if I want to change volume I have to first tap on the mini now playing bar at the bottom of the screen to expose the full now playing screen to get to volume controller. In the new app the volume control (including group control) is embedded in the mini now playing playing bar. So I don't understand how its now more taps to get to volume control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.