Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I don't think Sprint has *228 to update PRL. I thought that was a Verizon thing.

*228 doesn't work on 4G LTE phone's on VZW network in terms of programming. The device should auto activate once the SIM card is put into the device.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is it possible that Verizon will shut it down?

Good question. If the activation is successful, I don't think they will. Can they? I have never heard of Verizon doing this, but it depends on the terms and conditions on their policy.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Good question. If the activation is successful, I don't think they will. Can they? I have never heard of Verizon doing this, but it depends on the terms and conditions on their policy.

All the more reason why I want to keep this whole thing legit. I think I'm going to have to go to a corporate store and see if they have more incentive to help me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
All the more reason why I want to keep this whole thing legit. I think I'm going to have to go to a corporate store and see if they have more incentive to help me.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I haven't been to a store yet. This was told to me over the phone with Verizon customer service. They didn't even ask me for my IMEI or MEID. When I told him it was a 7+ he immediately told me that Verizon was having a problem with the 7's and even spoke to his supervisor. He said they were working on a fix and took my number to call me when the problem was resolved.

Sounds to me like a 'fix' is in play. (If you are not caught up in vernacular...that is not good.)

Go to a corporate Verizon store for better answer.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
By any chance was this phone ever activated on sprint?

Yes it's been on Sprint since launch day. I've been with Sprint for over 20 years. I finally decided to switch to Verizon and now I'm having these problems. I thought switching carriers would be easier.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Yes it's been on Sprint since launch day. I've been with Sprint for over 20 years. I finally decided to switch to Verizon and now I'm having these problems. I thought switching carriers would be easier.

Switching carriers is child's play.

Bringing a phone over may not.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Then there is a chance its locked to sprint for a minimum of 50 days. Contact them and ask about the status of your phone. I bought my 6 plus at full price but it was still locked to sprint until i requested an unlock a year and a half later.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Then there is a chance its locked to sprint for a minimum of 50 days. Contact them and ask about the status of your phone. I bought my 6 plus at full price but it was still locked to sprint until i requested an unlock a year and a half later.

The phones purchased through the upgrade program are unlocked from day one.
[doublepost=1478823544][/doublepost]
Switching carriers is child's play.

Bringing a phone over may not.

Yes I'm realizing that unfortunately. So much for having an unlocked phone through IUP.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Ok so update for you all. Today I walked into a Verizon corporate store and requested to switch from Sprint to Verizon with my IUP Sprint 7+. Guy was very helpful but when he entered the ESN it came back as not compatible. He said he had a trick and then entered the ESN from an iPhone 5s he had from a return and then proceeded to set up the SIM card with my ported phone number and account info. Once placed in my phone the SIM worked fine and the account was populated by my 7+ ESN and was branded a NON-VZW DEVICE.

The only issue I'm having is the phone is not able to connect to the advanced calling (HD Voice) features and can't switch to Voice & Data (VoLTE) and wifi calling. Verizon tech support couldn't get it to work after about an hour of troubleshooting and it's being escalated to their operations division to add the advanced calling features to my account.

I'll keep you guys in the loop just in case someone is thinking of going from Sprint to Verizon with an unlocked IUP phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok so update for you all. Today I walked into a Verizon corporate store and requested to switch from Sprint to Verizon with my IUP Sprint 7+. Guy was very helpful but when he entered the ESN it came back as not compatible. He said he had a trick and then entered the ESN from an iPhone 5s he had from a return and then proceeded to set up the SIM card with my ported phone number and account info. Once placed in my phone the SIM worked fine and the account was populated by my 7+ ESN and was branded a NON-VZW DEVICE.

The only issue I'm having is the phone is not able to connect to the advanced calling (HD Voice) features and can't switch to Voice & Data (VoLTE) and wifi calling. Verizon tech support couldn't get it to work after about an hour of troubleshooting and it's being escalated to their operations division to add the advanced calling features to my account.

I'll keep you guys in the loop just in case someone is thinking of going from Sprint to Verizon with an unlocked IUP phone.

Congrats man.
I knew the phone would work fine, its just that their system does not like it.
I know many others with similar features such as HD voice and wifi calling that were having hiccups like you but eventually higher up carrier tech support was able to straighten them out and fix them on their end.
Hang in there.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Congrats man.
I knew the phone would work fine, its just that their system does not like it.
I know many others with similar features such as HD voice and wifi calling that were having hiccups like you but eventually higher up carrier tech support was able to straighten them out and fix them on their end.
Hang in there.

Yeah I guess I just have to get through this year and once I upgrade next year I'll get an actual Verizon phone so it won't be an issue. On the plus side the data speed and signal at home is very much improved so I'm happy with the change so far. Once I can get the advanced calling features working I'll be very happy. Can't wait to watch the NFL games and redzone on my phone this weekend!

Reactions: Applejuiced

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
So I have an unlocked 7+ from the upgrade program and, after 20+ years of horrible signal at home with Sprint, decided to switch to Verizon. I was shocked to be told by Verizon that currently they are not able to connect Sprint iPhone 7/7+'s due to an incompatibility issue. I told the rep that they are the same radios and he said there is something in the Sprint version that is giving them trouble connecting? He also said that the 6 and 6S wasn't a problem just the 7's. He spoke to his supervisor and said they are hoping to resolve this soon and took my number to call me when the problem was solved. Has anyone successfully switched from Sprint to Verizon with a 7 or 7+? I thought the Sprint and Verizon 7/7+'s were identical? Am I missing something?
You need to go to a corporate store (not a Verizon authorized or premium retailer, never go to those) and tell them to file a Device Management Database (DMD) form to whitelist the IMEI of the device. They need Tier 2 Tech Support to do this. If a rep says otherwise, tell them you need to speak to a manager. Also, it is not regular customer care, they are generally not knowledgable, it is Tier 2 Tech Support that needs to file the DMD form.

The Verizon, Sprint and SIM free iP7/7+ are the same identical hardware/firmware. The only issue is whitelisting the IMEI. This happens EVERY YEAR. Verizon delays whitelisting the IMEIs of non-Verizon iPhone models. They eventually do it after people start complaining to the FCC. You can file a complaint with the FCC as Verizon MUST BY LAW allow you to use a Sprint or SIM free iP7/7+ on their network. However, hopefully you will encounter a rep who isn't an idiot and understands about DMD forms and whitelisting of IMEIs.

It takes about 2 business days for the IMEI to be whitelisted.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The phone is physically compatible, but Verizon may not allow it on their network because it's against their policy.

I suggest testing it with a Verizon SIM.
Not true. Verizon allows unlocked devices that are capable of running on their network.

If OP has a friend or family member on Verizon, I'd try putting the Verizon SIM on that Sprint phone to test.
This is what I'd recommend. No idea if OP's problem has been solved by now.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
You need to go to a corporate store (not a Verizon authorized or premium retailer, never go to those) and tell them to file a Device Management Database (DMD) form to whitelist the IMEI of the device. They need Tier 2 Tech Support to do this. If a rep says otherwise, tell them you need to speak to a manager. Also, it is not regular customer care, they are generally not knowledgable, it is Tier 2 Tech Support that needs to file the DMD form.

The Verizon, Sprint and SIM free iP7/7+ are the same identical hardware/firmware. The only issue is whitelisting the IMEI. This happens EVERY YEAR. Verizon delays whitelisting the IMEIs of non-Verizon iPhone models. They eventually do it after people start complaining to the FCC. You can file a complaint with the FCC as Verizon MUST BY LAW allow you to use a Sprint or SIM free iP7/7+ on their network. However, hopefully you will encounter a rep who isn't an idiot and understands about DMD forms and whitelisting of IMEIs.

It takes about 2 business days for the IMEI to be whitelisted.

I did go to a corporate store today. The phone works but not the advanced calling features ie: voice & data (VoLTE) and wifi calling. Hopefully tech support will resolve these issues.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
That's why I said "may." I do know that Verizon allows BYOD, but they also have to be whitelisted. It sounds like if the device isn't whitelisted, they have issues like this.
I was just clarifying. The whitelist will just keep devices from being activated on their network. You can still activate the device and then put a Verizon SIM card in as long as it's compatible. That's why a rep was able to register a SIM with a Verizon iPhone and then just put it in OP's phone. They couldn't activate the phone on their network, but the phone still works fine on Verizon.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I was just clarifying. The whitelist will just keep devices from being activated on their network. You can still activate the device and then put a Verizon SIM card in as long as it's compatible. That's why a rep was able to register a SIM with a Verizon iPhone and then just put it in OP's phone. They couldn't activate the phone on their network, but the phone still works fine on Verizon.

Which was the last sentence in my post. :D

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I did go to a corporate store today. The phone works but not the advanced calling features ie: voice & data (VoLTE) and wifi calling. Hopefully tech support will resolve these issues.
You need to get the IMEI whitelisted like I said. VoLTE/HD Calling must be enabled on the line and that requires the IMEI to be whitelisted.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
You need to get the IMEI whitelisted like I said. VoLTE/HD Calling must be enabled on the line and that requires the IMEI to be whitelisted.

I'm pretty sure that's the process they are resolving now. Tech support is supposed to call me tomorrow to follow up so I'll mention the whitelisting. Thank you for the suggestion.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I'm pretty sure that's the process they are resolving now. Tech support is supposed to call me tomorrow to follow up so I'll mention the whitelisting. Thank you for the suggestion.
Once the IMEI is whitelisted by them filing the DMD form, then if HD Voice option doesn't automatically appear on the line, they have to add it manually. Once it is added to the line, then you have to enable it on the phone.

To see if the feature is on your line, you log into your verizon account online and go to My Plans & Services, Manage Products and Apps, Manage Your Products and look to see if HD Voice is on the line.

Reactions: edlex

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Once the IMEI is whitelisted by them filing the DMD form, then if HD Voice option doesn't automatically appear on the line, they have to add it manually. Once it is added to the line, then you have to enable it on the phone.

To see if the feature is on your line, you log into your verizon account online and go to My Plans & Services, Manage Products and Apps, Manage Your Products and look to see if HD Voice is on the line.

Exactly. When I go to add HD voice from the MyVerizon app it sends me to a page that tries to make me get rid of some options I have with the plan and if I try from my PC an error message pops up after I choose to add that says I can't add it to contact Verizon. That's the same problem the tech was having on his end.

I'm assuming once my IMEI number is whitelisted then all will be well. I also can't add the NBA League pass so I assume that also will be resolved once I'm approved. The tech is supposed to call me tomorrow so I'll let him know about that DMD form and if that's the approval we are waiting for to be whitelisted.

I've learned more about Verizon in the last 2 days than I knew about Sprint in over 20 years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.