Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Exactly. When I go to add HD voice from the MyVerizon app
Don't do it from the app, log onto your Verizon account from a computer.
[doublepost=1479250594][/doublepost]
I'm assuming once my IMEI number is whitelisted then all will be well. I also can't add the NBA League pass so I assume that also will be resolved once I'm approved. The tech is supposed to call me tomorrow so I'll let him know about that DMD form and if that's the approval we are waiting for to be whitelisted.
Ok sounds like it is a whitelisting issue then.
[doublepost=1479250739][/doublepost]
I've learned more about Verizon in the last 2 days than I knew about Sprint in over 20 years!
Sprint is a CDMA carrier so they have the same issue. It is actually a bit easier to get this done with Sprint since the corporate store managers have access to the DNA 2 database and can do it in store.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/3nvc75/how_do_i_add_an_esn_to_sprints_database/cvsyux1/

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Don't do it from the app, log onto your Verizon account from a computer.

When I try to add it from the computer it gives me an error message that says I need to contact Verizon to add this feature.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
When I try to add it from the computer it gives me an error message that says I need to contact Verizon to add this feature.
Ok well hopefully this will all be corrected soon enough. It sucks that you have to go through this with CDMA carriers and Verizon should have whitelisted all of the CDMA iP7/7+ but just like last year, there is a delay. So stupid since they are the exact same devices hardware/firmware wise.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Ok well hopefully this will all be corrected soon enough. It sucks that you have to go through this with CDMA carriers and Verizon should have whitelisted all of the CDMA iP7/7+ but just like last year, there is a delay. So stupid since they are the exact same devices hardware/firmware wise.

Yeah it's a pain but at least my data speeds are much better than Sprints ever was at home so I'll be patient. I do appreciate all the information so at least I'm prepared when the Verizon tech calls tomorrow.

Reactions: JulesJam

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami

Ok so I just got off the phone with Tier 2 tech support and they filed the DMD form, thanks to you, and he says once the IMEI gets whitelisted then Verizon will recognize my phone as an actual Iphone 7 plus as opposed to a NON-VZW device. Apparently their system provisions based on device so once it knows that it's a 7+ then all the features that are compatible will be authorized to add.

Thank you again for your help.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Ok so I just got off the phone with Tier 2 tech support and they filed the DMD form, thanks to you, and he says once the IMEI gets whitelisted then Verizon will recognize my phone as an actual Iphone 7 plus as opposed to a NON-VZW device. Apparently their system provisions based on device so once it knows that it's a 7+ then all the features that are compatible will be authorized to add.

Thank you again for your help.
You are welcome. This should be fixed by Friday. I would make sure you power down and reboot after seeing the change on the website. Then log into your account and see if HD Voice is on your line If so, add it to the line and then enable it on your phone. You may have to reboot your phone again after adding HD Voice to your line before you can enable it on your phone.

Reactions: willmtaylor

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
You are welcome. This should be fixed by Friday. I would make sure you power down and reboot after seeing the change on the website. Then log into your account and see if HD Voice is on your line If so, add it to the line and then enable it on your phone. You may have to reboot your phone again after adding HD Voice to your line before you can enable it on your phone.

Ok so I just got HD Voice added to my line today. Both voice & data and wifi calling work perfectly. Unfortunately they also removed my 2gb's per month for life and my free Mexico/Canada calls promo's. They just called from tech support to follow up and I let him know about the promo removal and that the phone is still showing as a NON-VZW device. He said he would submit a request to have the promos reinstated but that he was told the phone could not be whitelisted at this time. I'm also not able to add the NBA league pass and he is looking into that as well.

Everything is slowly working thankfully although I can't wait to upgrade next year to an actual Verizon phone and avoid all these issues.

Reactions: Applejuiced

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Ok so I just got HD Voice added to my line today. Both voice & data and wifi calling work perfectly. Unfortunately they also removed my 2gb's per month for life and my free Mexico/Canada calls promo's. They just called from tech support to follow up and I let him know about the promo removal and that the phone is still showing as a NON-VZW device. He said he would submit a request to have the promos reinstated but that he was told the phone could not be whitelisted at this time. I'm also not able to add the NBA league pass and he is looking into that as well.
Did you just start a new billing cycle?

Yeah, unfortunately the NON-VZW designation often boots promotions and discounts off of your line. It is total BS that their system does that. Verizon has the power to configure their system so that wouldn't happen but their IT department is run by idiots. And it may be intentional too.

The tech was just making things up when he said the device could not be whitelisted. Tell them to file the DMD form and get it whitelisted and get your promotions and discounts reinstated or you are filing a complaint with the FCC. This same BS happened with the Google Nexus 6's and it took complaints to the FCC to get Verizon to get their sheet together. You may have to file a complaint with the FCC. This is a violation of the Block C licenses.

Last edited:

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami

Yeah, unfortunately the NON-VZW designation often boots promotions and discounts off of your line. It is total BS that their system does that. Verizon has the power to configure their system so that wouldn't happen but their IT department is run by idiots. And it may be intentional too.

The tech was just making things up when he said the device could not be whitelisted. Tell them to file the DMD form and get it whitelisted and get your promotions and discounts reinstated or you are filing a complaint with the FCC. This same BS happened with the Google Nexus 6's and it took complaints to the FCC to get Verizon to get their sheet together. You may have to file a complaint with the FCC. This is a violation of the Block C licenses.

I just signed up with Verizon on Monday and that's the beginning of the billing cycle that's Nov 14-Dec 13. The promo removal was due to adding HD Voice I believe. The tech told me the DMD was filed but they communicated to him that the phone could not be added to the system. He said they'll have to add the services piecemeal until adding the phone is resolved. I'm just hoping they will add the promos they took away and add the NBA league pass.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I hear you, I believe it is intentional how it removes all promos and discounts.
Its greedy Verizon we're talking about :)

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
The promo removal was due to adding HD Voice I believe.
That shouldn't have done it. Having a non-Verizon device on the line is what causes the problem. Whatever they did to allow HD Voice to be added to your line caused the system to check the device on the line and that dropped the promos.

The 2GB bonus data for life promo requires a smartphone on the line. If you put a basic phone, tablet or MiFi on the line, it drops the promo. The system doesn't recognize a non-Verizon smartphone as a smartphone and since it isn't a known smartphone to the system, it drops the promo. The way to overcome that is to get the IMEI whitelisted as a smartphone in the DMD.

The tech told me the DMD was filed but they communicated to him that the phone could not be added to the system.
Well it can be. Reps will just make up answers when they don't have a real answer. I would call back and do what I said - tell them to get the DMD form filed, whitelist the IMEI, get your promos back or you will file a complaint with the FCC. Tell them you want this escalated and you want a Tech Support supervisor involved.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
That shouldn't have done it. Having a non-Verizon device on the line is what causes the problem. Whatever they did to allow HD Voice to be added to your line caused the system to check the device on the line and that dropped the promos.

The 2GB bonus data for life promo requires a smartphone on the line. If you put a basic phone, tablet or MiFi on the line, it drops the promo. The system doesn't recognize a non-Verizon smartphone as a smartphone and since it isn't a known smartphone to the system, it drops the promo. The way to overcome that is to get the IMEI whitelisted as a smartphone in the DMD.

Well it can be. Reps will just make up answers when they don't have a real answer. I would call back and do what I said - tell them to get the DMD form filed, whitelist the IMEI, get your promos back or you will file a complaint with the FCC. Tell them you want this escalated and you want a Tech Support supervisor involved.

Well no update today so I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to call them back and take your advice asking for a tech support supervisor. You're right, there's no reason why this 7+ can't technically be added to their system. I'll update if I get additional info.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
You're right, there's no reason why this 7+ can't technically be added to their system.
Correct, it is the same hardware/firmware as the Verizon model. The tech rep you spoke to just made up that answer about it not being able to be whitelisted, I guarantee it. Demand a supervisor get this all corrected/escalated. Be nice but firm and if you have to, file a complaint with the FCC.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Correct, it is the same hardware/firmware as the Verizon model. The tech rep you spoke to just made up that answer about it not being able to be whitelisted, I guarantee it. Demand a supervisor get this all corrected/escalated. Be nice but firm and if you have to, file a complaint with the FCC.

I was actually considering contacting their chief communications officer to see if their executive team can resolve this once and for all. I'll give tech support one more shot on Monday using your advice.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I was actually considering contacting their chief communications officer to see if their executive team can resolve this once and for all. I'll give tech support one more shot on Monday using your advice.
If you file a complaint with the FCC, someone from executive relations will get back to you. It is the quickest way to get someone from executive relations to get back to you. You can try it your way first if you want, but if you don't get a quick ,cooperative response, I would complain to the FCC.

If you file a complaint with the FCC, you should cite to the open access provisions of 47 CFR 27.16. By treating an iPhone 7 sold for/by Sprint (which is identical hardware/firmware wise to an iPhone 7 sold for/by Verizon) differently than one sold for/by Verizon, they are in violation of the Block C open access provisions of their licenses.

I don't have time to explain the extensive litigation that has gone on b/t Verizon, the FCC and various entities including customers on this topic, but suffice it to say that the FCC has interpreted the open access provisions broadly. For sure they are applicable to the situation where there is no difference at all hardware or firmware wise b/t the Sprint sold iP7 and the Verizon sold iP7. The only difference is the SIM card that was originally sold with the device.

§ 27.16 Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands.

(a) Applicability. This section shall apply only to the authorizations for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands assigned and only if the results of the first auction in which licenses for such authorizations are offered satisfied the applicable reserve price.

(b) Use of devices and applications. Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network, except:

(1) Insofar as such use would not be compliant with published technical standards reasonably necessary for the management or protection of the licensee's network, or

(2) As required to comply with statute or applicable government regulation.

(c) Technical standards. For purposes of paragraph (b)(1) of this section:

(1) Standards shall include technical requirements reasonably necessary for third parties to access a licensee's network via devices or applications without causing objectionable interference to other spectrum users or jeopardizing network security. The potential for excessive bandwidth demand alone shall not constitute grounds for denying, limiting or restricting access to the network.

(2) To the extent a licensee relies on standards established by an independent standards-setting body which is open to participation by representatives of service providers, equipment manufacturers, application developers, consumer organizations, and other interested parties, the standards will carry a presumption of reasonableness.

(3) A licensee shall publish its technical standards, which shall be non-proprietary, no later than the time at which it makes such standards available to any preferred vendors, so that the standards are readily available to customers, equipment manufacturers, application developers, and other parties interested in using or developing products for use on a licensee's networks.

(d) Access requests.

(1) Licensees shall establish and publish clear and reasonable procedures for parties to seek approval to use devices or applications on the licensees' networks. A licensee must also provide to potential customers notice of the customers' rights to request the attachment of a device or application to the licensee's network, and notice of the licensee's process for customers to make such requests, including the relevant network criteria.

(2) If a licensee determines that a request for access would violate its technical standards or regulatory requirements, the licensee shall expeditiously provide a written response to the requester specifying the basis for denying access and providing an opportunity for the requester to modify its request to satisfy the licensee's concerns.

(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

(f) Burden of proof. Once a complainant sets forth a prima facie case that the C Block licensee has refused to attach a device or application in violation of the requirements adopted in this section, the licensee shall have the burden of proof to demonstrate that it has adopted reasonable network standards and reasonably applied those standards in the complainant's case. Where the licensee bases its network restrictions on industry-wide consensus standards, such restrictions would be presumed reasonable.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title47-vol2/pdf/CFR-2011-title47-vol2-sec27-16.pdf

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Well said, many times it takes an FCC or BBB complain to finally get things resolved.
I had a situation with AT&T and after 2 weeks and over 20-30 phone calls to customer service getting nothing done besides wasting my time and driving me nuts I had the issue resolved within a few days with a BBB complain.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Just an update on the ongoing Sprint to Verizon saga. So I spoke to Tier 2 tech support again yesterday and he told me my promo's had been added back. I checked and they were not. He was surprised and very apologetic. I reiterated how unacceptable it was that my IMEI number had not been whitelisted and the source of all these problems. How Verizon was required by law to do so and asked him if I need to file a FCC complaint to get this done. His tone changed and he got a little nervous and said he would definitely be escalating the issue up the management chain and saw no reason why the phone couldn't be whitelisted.

I'm being patient because of the Thanksgiving holiday but if this isn't resolved by next week I'm filing the FCC complaint. I'll keep you posted as things evolve.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
The saga continues. Got a call yesterday from Tier 2 tech support and he let me know that Verizon operations will not whitelist my IMEI. He said he took the issue as far up as he could. I went ahead and submitted a complaint to the FCC.

I'll update as soon as I get a response.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Lesson learned: never buy Sprint Iphone on any type of payments.

The fact that it's an IUP phone isn't the problem. Verizon is the one dragging their feet in this process. The Sprint and Verizon versions are identical.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Ok so after filing the FCC complaint on 11/29 I received an email from the FCC on 11/30 stating the complaint was served to Verizon. I just got an email today from Verizon's executive relations team saying they will be in contact with me no later than 12/6.

I hope this is getting close to being resolved. I can't believe how fast Verizon responded! I'll keep updating as things evolve hopefully for the better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.