Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Really? We do not need such "simplicity".
And it hurts who? App Store still has star rating as usual, not a simple "love". Why there are should be any difference?
Can you explain why you need the Star rating for your music?
Can you explain why Love/Dislike is not enough to drive the automated things such as Genius? (hint: it is)

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Can you explain why Love/Dislike is not enough to drive the automated things such as Genius? (hint: it is)
1 star is tracks I DJ with, 5 star is my favourite tracks, 4 star is tracks I like (but not love), 2 star are tracks for my young son (great in the car).

Guys, don't just give up. Send Feedback regarding the Star Rating absence.

I sent feedback through multiple portals. We'll see. I also wrote to "The Next Track," a podcast co-hosted by Doug of Dougscripts to see if they have any insight. We'll see. If you PM me I have an email address you can also try.

Can you explain why Love/Dislike is not enough to drive the automated things such as Genius?

I have 31,000 songs in my library. I rely on smart playlists to help manage my iPhone, which can't contain them all. One main way to do that is that I sync all my five star songs (ones I love) and many of my four star songs (ones I like) plus a smaller mix of three star songs (ones that are okay but I have friends who really like so are handy to have easy access). As to one and two star songs? Sometimes you buy a stinker. I don't sync them but I don't delete the files in case I forget I ever bought it; keeps me from buying it again).

Now, you may say that that's cumbersome or not necessary but keep in mind that many users have incrementally invested a lot of time in systems that work for them. In my case simply removing the star rating feature will mean suddenly having to do a *lot* of work (maybe using tags or grouping) but until that's done syncing and backing up may be inadvisable. Unless there's a very good reason to wipe out this feature it seems deeply consumer unfriendly to part of their customer base.

(hint: it is)

That's pretty dismissive.
(Hint: for you it is and that's fine, but you are not everyone.)

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I sent feedback through multiple portals. We'll see. I also wrote to "The Next Track," a podcast co-hosted by Doug of Dougscripts to see if they have any insight. We'll see. If you PM me I have an email address you can also try.

I have 31,000 songs in my library. I rely on smart playlists to help manage my iPhone, which can't contain them all. One main way to do that is that I sync all my five star songs (ones I love) and many of my four star songs (ones I like) plus a smaller mix of three star songs (ones that are okay but I have friends who really like so are handy to have easy access). As to one and two star songs? Sometimes you buy a stinker. I don't sync them but I don't delete the files in case I forget I ever bought it; keeps me from buying it again).

Now, you may say that that's cumbersome or not necessary but keep in mind that many users have incrementally invested a lot of time in systems that work for them. In my case simply removing the star rating feature will mean suddenly having to do a *lot* of work (maybe using tags or grouping) but until that's done syncing and backing up may be inadvisable. Unless there's a very good reason to wipe out this feature it seems deeply consumer unfriendly to part of their customer base.

That's pretty dismissive.
(Hint: for you it is and that's fine, but you are not everyone.)

So far this is type of response I've seen...nothing really of value, just "I spent a lot of time doing this" which no one told you to do, so for that reason alone you want the feature to stick around.

And the point about driving automation stands. You don't need 1 to 5 star rating system to drive/inform the quality of Genius (which is the only ACTUAL functionality the Star Rating system has ever had). Like/Dislike covers that with the same degree quality and accuracy as it ever did.

At the end of the day, no one really has 5 star or 4 star or 3 star or 2 star or 1 star opinions on music. You either like the song, or you don't.

So while I do sympathize with those who spent a ridiculous amount of time meticulously rating 30,000 songs for the sake of....sorting? I have to agree with the decision to abandon the feature in favor of much simple Like/Dislike.

Reactions: mconk
You've kind of missed an interesting point in your own signature

Stop turning off useful features.

As if that should only apply to users, not Apple.

The point isn't the amount of time put into it. In my case it was a minute or two here or there... over a decade. The real requirement would be all the work that would now have to be done by Apple "turning off useful features". You see, not all of us are binary in our like/dislike of music. We're burdened with nuance.

No need to reply to this post. I can see you've made up your mind what others find useful. Strange you should ask others only to dismiss them. So be it.

So far this is type of response I've seen...nothing really of value, just "I spent a lot of time doing this" which no one told you to do, so for that reason alone you want the feature to stick around.

And the point about driving automation stands. You don't need 1 to 5 star rating system to drive/inform the quality of Genius (which is the only ACTUAL functionality the Star Rating system has ever had). Like/Dislike covers that with the same degree quality and accuracy as it ever did.

At the end of the day, no one really has 5 star or 4 star or 3 star or 2 star or 1 star opinions on music. You either like the song, or you don't.

So while I do sympathize with those who spent a ridiculous amount of time meticulously rating 30,000 songs for the sake of....sorting? I have to agree with the decision to abandon the feature in favor of much simple Like/Dislike.

Reactions: Bino1970 and na1577

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Then can you explain why our world is not binary world, only absolute right or wrong?

Plus, why I cannot express "how much" I love a song, or how much I "don't like" this song?

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Then can you explain why our world is not binary world, only absolute right or wrong?

Plus, why I cannot express "how much" I love a song, or how much I "don't like" this song?
You can, but for that form of expression to be a digital feature, there ought to be a functional purpose behind it. As I said before, the only functional purpose the star ratings have ever had was driving the Genius feature, but under the hood it was a rudimentary + or - informant for Genius, which is the same as the Like/Dislike feature.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You can, but for that form of expression to be a digital feature, there ought to be a functional purpose behind it. As I said before, the only functional purpose the star ratings have ever had was driving the Genius feature, but under the hood it was a rudimentary + or - informant for Genius, which is the same as the Like/Dislike feature.
Why you believe "the only functional purpose the star ratings have ever had was driving the Genius feature"? Proof?
Plus, Genius feature uses music file itself, rather than rating, to mix up a bunch of songs together as a single playlist.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Never thought I would see someone argue against the star rating feature, because, you know, you don't have to use it. Star Ratings (in addition to Love/Dislike) is useful in crafting playlists sorted by level of like or dislike. Star Ratings were never solely used for Genius features; contrary to arguments here. Some people actually like granular control and not relying on algorithms all the time.

My guess is that they didn't think to, or were not able to, include star ratings when they re-wrote the UI and that they will come in a later update.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
On an album you can have the songs that are your favorite, the songs you like, and the songs you don't like.

Love and Dislike is great for the Apple Music service because it makes sure that more of what you like is being recommended and nothing that you don't isn't.

But if you have a 10,000+ track local library, a yes or no isn't going to work well as a smart playlist criteria like the star rating does. Some people are using 6-9 playlists broken by star to begin with.

Reactions: Ntombi

Natya Sadella

Suspended
Jun 20, 2016
What benefits do I get from rating my songs? If I could 'de-heart' songs and then they arent played in the random songs list that would be awesome.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I have several Smart Playlist based on Star ratings. I do the majority of management in iTunes but it is still nice to be able to make changes in the Music app too.

ggarnold

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
My library contains about 6,000 songs that I "like" (3 stars or above). A more granular indication of "how much" I like a song allows me to create better playlists. Some examples in my library:
  • Daft Punk (artist "daft punk", 3 stars and above) = 35 songs
  • Nirvana (artist "nirvana", 3 stars and above) = 27 songs
  • 90's Favorites (year 90-99, 4 star and above) = 131 songs
  • Classic Rock Favorites (genre "classic rock", 4 stars and above) = 156 songs
  • All-Time Favorites (all songs, 5 stars) = 305 songs
If these playlists were only based on the "Love" indicator (equiv. to 3 stars and above), the artist playlists would remain the same. However the 90's and Classic Rock Favs would be much larger - 285 songs and 451 songs. These playlists would be too big for my preference.

On the other hand, if I were more selective about marking songs as "Loved" (equiv. to 4 stars and above), the Daft Punk and Nirvana playlists would be too small - 14 songs and 17 songs respectively.

Bottom line is I prefer to have various playlists depending on my mood - by artist, genre, only favorites etc. Manually moving individual songs in & out of playlists doesn’t work for me. It is cumbersome to do on smaller devices and requires too much time and effort per track.

Smart Playlists keeps my playlists "up to date" automatically by dynamically reacting to the changes in my library. Star Ratings contribute to this process by allowing me to quickly & easily set an indication of "how much" I like each song.

The point of my original post was not to get into a debate about "loved" vs. "star ratings". This iOS 10 change is a big deal for those of us that have enjoyed star ratings over the last 10+ years. I’m hoping the discussion will generate feedback to Apple and identify possible ways we can get the same level of song management that we have enjoyed in the past.

Last edited:

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

That reasoning is rubbish. Clearly you're wrong about 'no one really has... star opinions on music '. Everybody posting on this thread does apart from you.

You can argue you prefer a binary rating, but to say something doesn't exist when you're presented evidence right in front of your face takes a pretty special type of ignorant person.

Last edited:

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I think we should bombard Apple with feedback. I also organize my library and iPhone and all involved playlists using stars and removing this one feature totally kills iOS 10 for me.

Reactions: JimmyJimmyYam

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
I Just dont get why apple has to take it off. How hard is it to just give us ****ing options man.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I Just dont get why apple has to take it off. How hard is it to just give us ****ing options man.

I hate it too but here is plausibility:
  • Having 2 ratings systems is very unApple like and redundant
  • Using the simpler of the 2 is very Apple like
  • Simple Heart system is more in line with other music service systems

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I hate it too but here is plausibility:
  • Having 2 ratings systems is very unApple like and redundant
  • Using the simpler of the 2 is very Apple like
  • Simple Heart system is more in line with other music service systems
Having 2 rating systems is very unApple like? And the opposite is very Apple like?
Well, we just ditch rating system on App Store, iTunes Store. Replace them with "love" and "dislike". Perfect, right?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Having 2 rating systems is very unApple like? And the opposite is very Apple like?
Well, we just ditch rating system on App Store, iTunes Store. Replace them with "love" and "dislike". Perfect, right?
How are your reading skills? I said "I hate it too" and just giving likely and plausible reasons. Please don't put words in my mouth "right". Also bad analogy since App store ratings are more in line with Yelp type ratings and 'needs' levels.

Again I use Stars and want it included. I do NOT think Hearts is the "perfect" system for me. However I'm not Apple and don't get to decide.

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I think we should bombard Apple with feedback. I also organize my library and iPhone and all involved playlists using stars and removing this one feature totally kills iOS 10 for me.
Does iOS 10 still present correctly playlists created in iTunes based on star ratings?

Not being able to rate on iOS doesn't complete ruin everything, but it is annoying.
[doublepost=1473083428][/doublepost]
How are your reading skills? I said "I hate it too" and just giving likely and plausible reasons. Please don't put words in my mouth "right". Also bad analogy since App store ratings are more in line with Yelp type ratings and 'needs' levels.

Again I use Stars and want it included. I do NOT think Hearts is the "perfect" system for me. However I'm not Apple and don't get to decide.

I think @Shirasaki read your response fine, she/he just disagreed with it as I do.

I don't see how star ratings and Loves are un-Apple like. I'd venture to say that the love option is un-Apple like since the iTunes Store, App Store, iBook store, use star ratings.

Right now, the simple love option is presented front and center. Very simple and Apple like for the basic user. If you tap the album art you see the "hidden" star rating for more "advanced" users. It's not like Apple pushes both at your face.

Also, the loved option is built with Apple Music in mind. I don't use Apple Music because a good 70% of my music isn't on iTunes.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

My reading skills may be bad as I am not a native English speaker, but, why App Store ratings "need" levels while iTunes music does not need? Do people just "love" music and "dislike" music and that's it? Of course not.
I apologise for my previous reply if you feel offensive however.
[doublepost=1473085527][/doublepost]
I don't use Apple Music because a good 70% of my music isn't on iTunes.
Mine is around 80% and a good number of them are truly "exclusive", bundled with limited edition BD boxes.
Those songs will never ever land on iTunes.
So, I am with you on this one.

Reactions: Traverse

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
My reading skills may be bad as I am not a native English speaker, but, why App Store ratings "need" levels while iTunes music does not need? Do people just "love" music and "dislike" music and that's it? Of course not.
I apologize for my previous reply if you feel offensive however....
As an arrogant American I just assume everyone reads & speaks proper American (even if I don't).:( It just seemed your sarcasm was directed at me.

AGAIN for everyone, I have used Stars for years and VERY much want to see Apple keep the system. I'm not the enemy and just trying to interpret Apple's message.

Now a little understanding of the 2 systems (and how they differ) seems to be in order.

• Stars was put in iTunes MANY years ago when people bought their music. It is a 100% personal rating system that can be used in any manner for your music and is not known to Apple. It is not applicable to Apple since all (prior to :apple:Music) Star rated tracks are tracks you bought and won't tell :apple:Music what you don't want to hear.
  • *Hearts (aka: Like & Dislike) is used by all streaming services and is a necessity. Streaming services need to make you happy by offering you music you want to hear. So every time you Like or Dislike (Heart for :apple:Music) this info is sent back to the service to fine tune the music it offers you. So it's MORE for Apple's use then the user.

*Hearts was inherited from Beats but synonyms to a Like & Dislike system.

So Apple can NEVER get rid of Hearts (Like & Dislike) for :apple:Music since this is fundamental to the way all streaming services works. However Apple can get rid of Stars since it is meaningless to :apple:Music and is only a personal rating system.

I want Apple to add the Star system back in (again Apple CAN'T get rid of Hearts) and have both. However having a redundant system is not the Apple way and as much as I HATE it Apple is probably making the Star system legacy and may even remove it from iTunes in a few years.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
As an arrogant American I just assume everyone reads & speaks proper American (even if I don't).:( It just seemed your sarcasm was directed at me.
Hmm. Really?

For other parts of comments, thank you for your elaboration.
When we remove something, in favour of some other stuff new, either we persuade everyone else that new stuff is 10x better, or we may choose to not remove it. Unfortunately, Apple does not fall into any of those categories. They just want to remove it to remove it, although I can see they favour Apple Music and persuade everyone using Apple products to use it.
However it is also super clear that sub is not for everyone, even though we basically subscribe electricity/mobile number/home, with varying price. For electricity and mobile number everyone is the same but there are still a lot of people pay outright their mortgage. Same applies to Apple Music. I think, either Apple really think they are the god of entire world, or they just don't know Apple Music is not for everyone, they should've introduced something favouring both local music listener and stream music listener. These are two major groups and I believe curating for both of them is not a problem.
Ahh, before I realise I have said so much. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.