Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Uh, do you mean proper English? American isn't a language. :p
English is some fancy foreign language that calls a pickup truck a lorry and says whilst when they mean while and calls their mom a mum and spells color wrong.o_O

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
So I went ahead and made the jump to iOS 10 and used Cesium briefly because I remembered how bubbly and unclean the Marvis UI seemed to me the last time I tried it. Well it's been updated and WOW. Apple can keep their star ratings.

IMG_0147.PNG

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
So I went ahead and made the jump to iOS 10 and used Cesium briefly because I remembered how bubbly and unclean the Marvis UI seemed to me the last time I tried it. Well it's been updated and WOW. Apple can keep their star ratings.

This is Marvis? I never liked it because, as you said, it was too bubbly and busy for me, but this looks nice.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Subscribed as this irritates me too...:)
What I don't like in Marvis is the multi-tier ad removal in app purchases! The first time I have seen this on an app...

Reactions: Shirasaki

mkaen

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Really upset about the loss of stars in Music. Also the fact that the connect button is permanently down there in the bar, afaict. I don't use Apple Music.

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Really upset about the loss of stars in Music. Also the fact that the connect button is permanently down there in the bar, afaict. I don't use Apple Music.
You can hide the Connect button in Restrictions, same as in iOS 9.

Table Top Joe

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2016
Just a word of Warning, iTunes 12.5.1 doesn't have the Star Rating option either (just checked on work Mac, wont be updating my own Mac anytime soon now)

Table Top Joe

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2016
Fair enough thanks, I just quickly checked before leaving work, could of sworn I only had the same options as the ios ten music app

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
If they're still there in iTunes then I think I can survive.

Yeah, I guess that's how I feel. I don't add a lot of music to my library any more so if I have to go in once every few months and add stars to my newest songs that's fine. I'll just miss being able to change existing ratings on a whim when I'm listening to something. I have to believe these will come back at some point and that it's just a huge oversight.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Interesting that if Apple is deprecating or moving to legacy it seems a little strange that in the latest iTunes update they added (blue) color to them.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah just updated to iTunes 12.5.1 or whatever it is. Ratings are still functional. So as long as the smart playlists on the iPhone and such continue to respect them, I can live with it. However I still think we should petition Apple to bring them back universally.
Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 14.14.10.png

The Weatherman

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
(...) However I still think we should petition Apple to bring them back universally.

Since they're probably planning to get rid of the stars on macOS as well eventually, I think a petition would be indeed be our chance to make our voice heard before it's too late!

Another quick and (supposedly) effective way is to send Apple feedback: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Last edited:

Table Top Joe

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2016
All it was is they were turned off after the update, I was able to just to turn them back on in preferences, didn't have time to think of that yesterday!

Maki Roc

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2014
I'm seriously considering dumping Apple because of the lack of star ratings. It totally disrupts my way of listening to music. While there are 3rd party alternatives, there is a serious concern that Apple will kill this feature for them also.
Let's hope they will bring it back in a point update.

The Weatherman

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
The strange part is that in iTunes the stars are now more visible than both the love feature (heart icon has disappeared from player window and has been reduced in size everywhere else) and dislike feature (only listed when you right click on a track).
Someone new to iTunes and not using iOS might think the stars are taking over these two new features!

Apple must be testing the waters by removing the stars on iOS 10 since it is still possible to rate tracks using Siri while the smart playlists that use stars are still synchronizing. Also, they didn't replace the stars with anything new, they're just gone.

I'm no expert but I'd bet the stars are simply hidden at this point and Apple is waiting to see users reactions to decide what to do next.

Hence the importance to send them feedback telling them politely we want it back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.