Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qithlorien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2016
Use The Comparison Chart on The Apple Website Store, the Old Specs are nearly identical, only a slightly brighter screen, marketing a whole entire M CPU Generation Bump and allegedly twice as fast OMFG!!!!

Camera Megapixels haven't changed at all

Apple wants another $100 - 200 for Nano Texture Glass

Apple didn't say that OLED would burn in versus Mini LED

Apple wants $5,000 for a Monitor and charges $1,000 for a Plastic Stand

Tim Cook: We couldn't be more excited for the greatest iPad ever
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't Waste $2,600 and just stick with your Old mini LED iPad

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Suggestion: Evaluate the product based on your own situation.

I have an old 10.5" Pro, and considering how long I kept this one, I'm due an upgrade and it's probably worth it. (Even though an Air is really enough for my uses :) )

Same.

The Air is more than enough for me since I just casually browse. But I have been spoiled by the higher end displays of the iPhone Pro Max, 14" MBP, etc that I appreciate them that much more to coin out for the better display vs the Air.

Considering my 2017 10.5" Pro has lasted this long, I expect to get the same out of this one.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Use The Comparison Chart on The Apple Website Store, the Old Specs are nearly identical, only a slightly brighter screen, marketing a whole entire M CPU Generation Bump and allegedly twice as fast OMFG!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whilst I can understand why some people might find your post amusing, the new iPad doesn't do anything new that my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" can't do for my needs, so I have no intention of spending close to £2000 to get the same storage, a pencil & keyboard cover to replace my current stuff.

Apple can get my money when iPadOS isn't so absolutely useless and purposefully limited on what it can do. Apple might want the iPad to be nothing more than a companion device to the Mac & iPhone, but for the price they are charging, they can forget it.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
On a side by side basis the OP is correct, there is little difference overall with the old model when looking at spec at a high level. But as always there are differences and advantages. For most it’s not an upgrade that will make any difference to their current use. For others it will.

And of course not everyone has the most recent model iPad, anyone with an older one looking to upgrade will see big upgrades here. Those like me sitting with the most current version iPad Pro 12.9 aren’t going to care too much about this unless there is a stand out, must have feature for their use case.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
For me the issue is -- is it really worth all that money (thousands of dollars) to upgrade my two 2018 iPad Pro's? No doubt the lighter weight and better screen are nice, but would I do anything on it any easier than on my present iPads? For serious work, I use my Mac -- if only the MacOS would run on the iPads, I'd upgrade in a moment. I find iPadOS ungainly for serious work (aside from marking up pdf's).

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Guess you’re using your iPad Pro for some serious camera work? I never buy an iPad solely based on its camera.

The new Pro has a lot of new stuff that would be worth it to the people who want it. Most advanced SOC, double storage options, new display screen, landscape front camera and probably all the new items Apple mentioned today.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
For me the issue is -- is it really worth all that money (thousands of dollars) to upgrade my two 2018 iPad Pro's? No doubt the lighter weight and better screen are nice, but would I do anything on it any easier than on my present iPads? For serious work, I use my Mac -- if only the MacOS would run on the iPads, I'd upgrade in a moment. I find iPadOS ungainly for serious work (aside from marking up pdf's).

Same. However, I’m wondering if there’s something more about iPadOS coming out at WWDC. Apple talked about it exclusively for a minute during the presentation, which they never have done in the past. While I don’t think iPadOS will be on par with macOS, I’m now more curious heading into WWDC then I was beforehand. I hope they add some new features that could place it near the Mac, which I will welcome with my iPad Air 5.

Reactions: Anson_431

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Guess you’re using your iPad Pro for some serious camera work? I never buy an iPad solely based on its camera.

The new Pro has a lot of new stuff that would be worth it to the people who want it. Most advanced SOC, double storage options, new display screen, landscape front camera and probably all the new items Apple mentioned today.
It doesn’t have double the storage unless I’m missing something. My M1 iPad Pro has 2TB.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021

Camera better and placed beautiful now
Everyone wants something not to go bankrupt .. 101 business
Oled from iphones are fixed with iOS pixels shifting tech
Monitor only now you see that product? its old and that stand is aluminium not plastic

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
The old camera has more than what most people need.

They always do. It's a very specialty item, almost no one uses it save for those who really need it for some reason.

If you are asserting the new Tandem OLED (Apple's term for the stacked OLED panels) are going to burn in after Z number of hours then provide the data to back it up. OLEDs have changed quite a bit in recent years.

Tevosn

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2020
That’s pretty much how I see the iPad, and on a 2018 myself. I would like a new one with the mmmm chip, if it means better adblock capabilities, but I don’t really find I can water a purchase of a new one with their hefty price tag.
I also wonder if they introduced a notch or pill, if so it’s a hard pass.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.