Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Every time a new product is announced, my first thought is "I wonder what Qithlorien thinks of this?! Better wait for his opinion". Thank you for taking the time to grace us with your brilliance. Truly. I now know that this new iPad is truly garbage and is no better in any way than what is now the previous generation.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Well possible burning issues could be a real pain, gonna wait for the first buyers reviews...

I'm on my ipad pro 2n Gen 10.5 last legs...:p

Last edited:

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
Must admit i’m still using my 1st gen 11 inch and i can’t yet see any reason to upgrade, it’s working fine for my use case.
If they had added face id to the air i might have upgraded but so far it’s just more of the same.

Reactions: 3Rock

varun14

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Use The Comparison Chart on The Apple Website Store, the Old Specs are nearly identical, only a slightly brighter screen, marketing a whole entire M CPU Generation Bump and allegedly twice as fast OMFG!!!!

Camera Megapixels haven't changed at all

Apple wants another $100 - 200 for Nano Texture Glass

Apple didn't say that OLED would burn in versus Mini LED

Apple wants $5,000 for a Monitor and charges $1,000 for a Plastic Stand

Tim Cook: We couldn't be more excited for the greatest iPad ever
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't Waste $2,600 and just stick with your Old mini LED iPad

Cheers bro after reading this I have cancelled my order.

• Haha
Reactions: Jumpthesnark

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Use The Comparison Chart on The Apple Website Store, the Old Specs are nearly identical, only a slightly brighter screen, marketing a whole entire M CPU Generation Bump and allegedly twice as fast OMFG!!!!

“Only” a brighter screen and twice as fast would be enough on its own. But then you get a new, lighter design, OLED blacks, new Pencil…. And remember, a lot of people will not be upgrading from an M2 iPad Pro, meaning it’s even more than twice as fast.

In fact, the M4 chip and nes design makes this probably one of the best years to upgrade.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
The screen and (marginal) weight saving is all I really care about. Between the slight smearing of the screen when scrolling text, and the blooming (drives me crazy watching letterboxed content in low light environments, where the black bars have a haze to the edges), I am very happy to upgrade from the M1. I use the iPad a lot, both home and travelling, so this was an easy decision.

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
Suggestion: Evaluate the product based on your own situation.

I have an old 10.5" Pro, and considering how long I kept this one, I'm due an upgrade and it's probably worth it. (Even though an Air is really enough for my uses :) )
I have the same iPad Pro (2017) and it still is a great device. But I'd love to watch movies in all their glory on one of the new OLED displays, especially the 13".

lawny13

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
The difference in performance between the two machines is definitely notable…

But as others here have said, when it comes to usability however… all that additional power is wasted. I still HAVE to use a mac to do what I want to do. This thing could easily run MacOS, and yet we are stuck with ipadOS. MacOS gives you full flexibility of a full fledged OS while the ipadOS does not.

Let say I want to run windows (cause lets face it, it might be something you want to do, or linux). You can’t partition and run a VM as far as I know. Moving and exporting files can be a pain. Managing all of my photos still requires me to use my mac in some way or form. Etc etc.

The ipad is simply not a Mac or PC replacement. Which makes it a tough sell to shell out for the type ipad at 2.5 K or more AND do the same for a mac. While said mac will be more than sufficlient, while a M2 or even M1 ipad as companion meets the pencil needs people might have.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
For me the issue is -- is it really worth all that money (thousands of dollars) to upgrade my two 2018 iPad Pro's? No doubt the lighter weight and better screen are nice, but would I do anything on it any easier than on my present iPads? For serious work, I use my Mac -- if only the MacOS would run on the iPads, I'd upgrade in a moment. I find iPadOS ungainly for serious work (aside from marking up pdf's).
The dilemma of iPad Pro is unchanged by these 2024 models: Genuinely amazing specs, market-leading display, plus tons of power and an amazing design. High-quality and premium all around.

But it’s still just an iPad. Which is great if your casual or professional use case(s) can fit into what the iPad App Store has to offer.

I hope 3rd parties go hard on alternative app stores in the EU and, indirectly, add the apps that iPad is missing.

Way too many compromises we have to make when spending this much on a tablet.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES! Another newbie trolling post. Go away.

I’m very happy with the M4, the weight, the OLED screen. It’s all state of the art, but also expensive… yikes!

macguy167

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2023
FL

I don’t have a choice. My last iPad Pro “bricked” with the update to iPadOS 16 (I think)!! This was right after my iPhone 13 Pro did the same on a similar iOS update, but it was still under warranty, so a new one was provided. I am real tired of Apple’s BS on their hardware/software longevity!! I have a whole pile of Apple Trash products!! 🙄😬

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
“Only” a brighter screen and twice as fast would be enough on its own. But then you get a new, lighter design, OLED blacks, new Pencil…. And remember, a lot of people will not be upgrading from an M2 iPad Pro, meaning it’s even more than twice as fast.

In fact, the M4 chip and nes design makes this probably one of the best years to upgrade.

It's not twice as fast though, that would be 100% improvement. They quoted up to 50% performance improvement over M2

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010

don't Waste $2,600 and just stick with your Old mini LED iPad

Most people don't upgrade every generation, a newer better screen and a speed bump from the previous gen is a good sweetener for those a few gens behind to upgrade.

Not sure what this has to do with the ipad but the xdr was easily price competitive with the very very few displays in its space at release, Apple doesnt adjust prices over time so a few (still very very few) comparable displays are now at a better price point. When Apple updates the display itll likely go back to being competitive on price for whatever bumps it gets

As for the stand, sure, it’s pricey

But 1) it’s not plastic and more importantly 2) it makes sense to break it out, wish more manufacturers did. These days most purchases of a display in that category and above (and quite a few categories below) are for workplaces, the displays go on VESA mounts immediately. At my old office at my current employer there was an entire closet full of the display stands that IT pulled off the monitors mounted at everyone’s desks. The office (a satellite R&D office now closed, we all work remote) sat 100 people, everyone had 2 monitors. They’d done 2 monitor cycles while I worked out of that office, so napkin-back math tells me that closet had somewhere around 400 stands in it*

If the displays were bought without stands that saves a lot of waste

*I honestly dont know why they didnt just junk them, I know they ewaste the displays so it’s not like they’re needed at decommissioning, best guess is we were a satellite without an onsite perm IT presence, they were based out of the larger offices, and no one wanted to deal with the effort of junking them

Bobbuilds69

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022

You mad because you can’t afford it.

kylelerner

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
Marina del Rey, CA
I use my iPad Pro for work, and am currently using a 4th-gen iPad Pro 12.9" with a A12Z Bionic chip and degrading battery. I've waited long enough and will be upgrading, not because my current iPad Pro is too slow by any means, but, because I don't want to use a degrading 4 year old asset for work.

Some of us have legitimate reasons to upgrade; but, yes - I do agree that the event was a tad overhyped.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
In the UK this is a very good price...;)
I was expecting a considerable price hike (based on the rumours).

Previous M2 base model 128gb £1249
New M4 base model 256gb £1299.

£50 pound more for double storage and new screen and whatever...:p

Reactions: Lukomaldini

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I’m tempted to upgrade for the better placed camera, the OLED screen, and playing more console quality games. That and my M1 iPad Pro has always had strange battery issues, even when I DFU restored it several times. It usually only lasts 5-7 hours at most.

nitrobear

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2024
I’m tempted to upgrade for the better placed camera, the OLED screen, and playing more console quality games. That and my M1 iPad Pro has always had strange battery issues, even when I DFU restored it several times. It usually only lasts 5-7 hours at most.
I think it's meant to last for around that time sadly. M series iPads have always had terrible standby battery life for some reason.

Apart from that, the M4 doesn't look like an upgrade from the M3 at all (so it didn't affect me much that they pushed it even though I got an MBA a few weeks ago) but, I don't know, it seems like the most powerful tablet ever, even compared to Windows tablets, and a terrible deal at the same time

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I think it's meant to last for around that time sadly. M series iPads have always had terrible standby battery life for some reason.

Apart from that, the M4 doesn't look like an upgrade from the M3 at all (so it didn't affect me much that they pushed it even though I got an MBA a few weeks ago) but, I don't know, it seems like the most powerful tablet ever, even compared to Windows tablets, and a terrible deal at the same time
Mine has been especially bad, like it would die at 5%, i’d turn it back on without plugging it in and it would be at like 15% then jump down to 9% then eventually get to 0 and be actually dead. It’s weird. Not the end of the world to me because I’m almost always near a charger, but enough it’s an excuse to upgrade haha.

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011
The only thing I want with the new ipad pro is the screen. I have the most recent iPad Air and I was considering moving up to the iPad Pro for the OLED screen but $1k isn't worth it. My iPad Air with M1 is super speedy and has no hiccups. I wish the ipad pro wasn't so expensive. It seems like an overlap with the macbook air if you really want a device for laptop type functions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.