Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
I don't know why but I've never seen a single Apple OLED device with burn-in. Not even the 4 OLED devices I own.
My OLED TV is on every single day for hours and hours at the time never had any burn in and actually the guy who gets me all my electronics home theater stuff told me with OLED It’s better to have it on then have it off that’s when you get burn in.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Just gonna wait for refurbs to hit the Apple store and I bet they will fast. People will buy these expensive iPads, realize their old iPad resell value is trash so they’ll have to pay the majority for the new one, then FOMO wains away and they realize it’s far too much for a media consumption device = return.

Even after I purchase a refurb I’ll probably return it ha.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
The big problem with the iPad Pro is its way too expensive for what it actually do. If you want 16GB of RAM you have to buy the 1 or 2TB versions. Apple sell the iPad Pro as a real computer replacement. It cost even more than a top of the line PC, but you still can't add storage by yourself, and iPadOS is still extremely limited.

Don't get me wrong, I love the iPad Pro. I have the M1 11' and the M2 12,9', but as much as I want the new screen and front camera, the price Apple ask is simply not worth the money for me right now. Oh and they don't talk about the battery either so we can expect it will be like the current one and we can all agree that battery life has been terrible on iPad Pro for years now so again, not worth the upgrade because I can assume it will be the same.

With this event today, I'm more tempting to try something new and buy the Samsung Galaxy tab S9 Ultra. It's currently on sale on Amazon but I'll try to just keep my money because I'm perfectly fine with my current iPads.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
My OLED TV is on every single day for hours and hours at the time never had any burn in and actually the guy who gets me all my electronics home theater stuff told me with OLED It’s better to have it on then have it off that’s when you get burn in.
I also have a 2018 OLED TV which is ON maybe 3-4 jours a day at least and no burn in at all.

But AFAIK my understanding is that burn-in occurs when a pixel is turned on at high brightness for too long with the same color. Since TV is for content consumption and gaming, it should never have burn in. And since always-on displays are so dim, they should never have burn in.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Gelam

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2021
Use The Comparison Chart on The Apple Website Store, the Old Specs are nearly identical, only a slightly brighter screen, marketing a whole entire M CPU Generation Bump and allegedly twice as fast OMFG!!!!

Camera Megapixels haven't changed at all

Apple wants another $100 - 200 for Nano Texture Glass

Apple didn't say that OLED would burn in versus Mini LED

Apple wants $5,000 for a Monitor and charges $1,000 for a Plastic Stand

Tim Cook: We couldn't be more excited for the greatest iPad ever
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't Waste $2,600 and just stick with your Old mini LED iPad
Thing is I don't have an iPad. This will be my first!

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
the guy who gets me all my electronics home theater stuff told me with OLED It’s better to have it on then have it off that’s when you get burn in.
This is the most ridiculous statement… unless you mean having the OLED turned on with no signal being fed to the screen… this is not a good idea at all and will result in an uneven colour purity across the panel… but to state that having the OLED turned off will result in burn-in is absolute nonsense… OLED panels are susceptible to burn-in… fact… what is also fact is that the newer the OLED screen the better the software internal to the device is at managing the burn-in and preventing it getting to problematic levels… This was not the case for older panels or indeed the 1st number of generations of LG OLED panels… but that doesn’t mean you can be complacent especially at high nit values with static screen artefacts like station idents, letterboxes and video game HUD display components, although the latter is not as much of an issue with most games… burn in o n phone screens doesn’t tend to be an issue due to the relatively small size of a phone screen…

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Suggestion: don't tell me what to do.

It improves on 3 key specs for me: camera to landscape, lighter weight in the 13", brighter screen. The nano texture is another important step toward a higher contrast display.
Why are you explaining to a troll?

Who let the OP in in the first place?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
If you’re someone who has an M2 iPad Pro (like me), then yeah you’re right. No need to upgrade. But M1 or A series, I think this is a great upgrade!
I actually disagree. The big upgrade here--and the thing all the "hands-on" previewers are mentioning--is the lighter/thinner form factor and the OLED screen. In those ways it is a huge upgrade from both the M1 and the M2 iPads. Yes, the M2 is still very fast and so the processor upgrade is less enticing there. But the M1 is also really fast. Very few people are probably pushing the M1 to its limits on an iPad.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
No it isn’t
The previous 256 was anyway 899
100 more is fair
The lack of a keyboard is what makes it kind of ridiculous. To use as a 'pro' device in any way you need to shell out at least $300 more, bringing you immediately into mid-tier Mac territory. That might be fine if you had Mac capabilities here. But you don't.

I'm torn, I see the benefits of iPad and I use mine all the time, but you have to admit the value proposition is wonky. I really don't think these are huge sellers for Apple.

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
My 2020 iPad is old and tired. A12Z and it's measly 6GB of memory chug under real multitasking. These refreshes aren't for people with M2 tablets - they're for the ones with M1, A12Z, A12X even.
Same here. 2020 2nd Gen is getting long in the tooth.

Last edited:

Boing123

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2024
Reactions: Jumpthesnark

LarTeROn

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
Hong Kong
The reviews all suck.

First, I can't find any articles comparing the standard ipad, which is much cheaper.
Second, I can't find any mention of AI, not even barely on this thread, which is supposed to be the whole point.
We have to speculate that EVERYTHING will be using AI in the near future. In that scenario, slower devices are going to quickly become useless. I know that's hard to imagine, but you could have said the same thing about memory and GPUs. ALREADY I want to use AI all the time, but my laptop is hamstrung with no GPU, so I have to have network connectivity and loss of privacy to do anything with AI, which is pretty much anything these days.

I have a family member who's a student. Everyone in her class is making notes with their Apple Pencils. Since she'd only use AI for very mature consumer apps, which I expect to be rare on iOS for years,
I'm recommending to get the BASE ipad and Apple pencil, but with the most storage possible.

Does this make sense?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Burn in and image retention are not the same.

Image retention is temporary, goes away over time. Burn in is for life, think old Streetfighter 2 cabinets and electrified Blanka.

Had image retention once on my 2017 LG OLED after playing Stardew Valley for weeks non-stop. I quit playing, it went away. Never reoccured since. Nor has it happened on any other of the multiple OLED devices I use. Check out the YT video of the guy who left his Switch OLED on the same image for 2 years. It was 3,600 hours before it starting exhibit even minor issues on the SAME image.

The myths around burn in/image retention are lot like battery myths. Old and out of date knowledge based on early models. Yes, an OLED from 2015 might suffer from it, and the same channel logo may cause some image retention or even burn in eventually on new models, but only in extreme circumstances and unusual usage. Technology has evolved. There’s a guy I know at work who still drains his modern iPhone dead and then charges for 6 hours, convinced this is the right way to do it. Madness borne from ignorance and stubborness.

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021
Whilst I can understand why some people might find your post amusing, the new iPad doesn't do anything new that my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5" can't do for my needs, so I have no intention of spending close to £2000 to get the same storage, a pencil & keyboard cover to replace my current stuff.

Apple can get my money when iPadOS isn't so absolutely useless and purposefully limited on what it can do. Apple might want the iPad to be nothing more than a companion device to the Mac & iPhone, but for the price they are charging, they can forget it.
Given the sky high price they are charging for the new iPad pros, I am hoping that they are intending to open up Mac apps for iPad. That would make me buy it instantly

nitrobear

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2024
That guy has no idea about anything he's talking about. Burn in appears when the display has to show the same image for hours, unbalancing the brightness of the subpixels (certain parts of the pixel will be brighter than others).
Even then, the tandem OLED on these will most likely not suffer from burn in since it's two OLED panels that use half the brightness each

shadowboi

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
I kinda agree but that’s my own set of thoughts which might not resonate with most people. As I am among those rare people who are PWM sensitive and cannot even look at miniLED iPad (it flickers too), I will probably not be risking such a lot of money on a large and thin doubleOLED slate just to occasionally play Minecraft and maybe store photos (yeah, that’s how 90% buyers use their iPads! Also browsing web, yeah) – old iPad works just good for these tasks.

Since 2010 I’ve had 3 iPads already and kinda fed up with them. Limited OS sometimes annoys me, I cannot even set custom resolution for external display. Also Files app is not even a fraction as powerful as Finder from Mac OS X Leopard from 2007. And Finder has changed a bit since then too.

Right now macOS is a win-win for me personally, has all the pro apps, adequate desktop environment and since M-series processors it even got more battery juice than any new iPad. I love my Macbook M1 and how versatile it is, it is basically a non-touch iPad with limitless possibilities in terms of apps. Lol it can even run some kind of neutered Windows version (thanks, Micro$💩! I knew it never hurts to pirate your OS).

I think maybe new iPads will serve as a good piece of tech for kids, video makers, musicians and maybe people who never ever had iPads in their lives. For me, well, would probably find something better to waste money at

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.