Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikikaly21

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2019
I haven’t owned an iPad Pro since before the pandemic and this new M4 model is the real deal. I bought Apple Care+ and the freedom to use this tablet without a cover has made me feel like I’m constantly holding a magical piece of glass.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
M2 iPad Pro received and setup.....😬
Previous ipp served me 8 years (still works like a dream), but thought it was time for a refresh.
Couldn't bring myself to spend £1299....🤪.....and could not go 'non-pro' after being spoilt.

Got a nice case also, don't need a front cover or desk stand.
Just wanted something similar to my 1st gen's Apple silicon case (back only).

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Use The Comparison Chart on The Apple Website Store, the Old Specs are nearly identical, only a slightly brighter screen, marketing a whole entire M CPU Generation Bump and allegedly twice as fast OMFG!!!!

Camera Megapixels haven't changed at all

Apple wants another $100 - 200 for Nano Texture Glass

Apple didn't say that OLED would burn in versus Mini LED

Apple wants $5,000 for a Monitor and charges $1,000 for a Plastic Stand

Tim Cook: We couldn't be more excited for the greatest iPad ever
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't Waste $2,600 and just stick with your Old mini LED iPad
Get knotted

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The reviews all suck.

First, I can't find any articles comparing the standard ipad, which is much cheaper.
Second, I can't find any mention of AI, not even barely on this thread, which is supposed to be the whole point.
We have to speculate that EVERYTHING will be using AI in the near future. In that scenario, slower devices are going to quickly become useless. I know that's hard to imagine, but you could have said the same thing about memory and GPUs. ALREADY I want to use AI all the time, but my laptop is hamstrung with no GPU, so I have to have network connectivity and loss of privacy to do anything with AI, which is pretty much anything these days.

I have a family member who's a student. Everyone in her class is making notes with their Apple Pencils. Since she'd only use AI for very mature consumer apps, which I expect to be rare on iOS for years,
I'm recommending to get the BASE ipad and Apple pencil, but with the most storage possible.

Does this make sense?
Because AI is the current “hot topic”….rmember when everyone was talking crypto in 2023? (We all see how that went). AI has been around in apple products for over a decade….most notably the photos app. It’s hard for Apple to be pushing AI when Siri has become a cultural joke and devices like the iPad can’t even run audio in the background constantly pausing whatever you have playing.

TL;DR
Whatever Apple has planned for AI will run just fine on any device released the last few years.

LarTeROn

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
Hong Kong
So, my wife didn't listen and just brought the 2024 ipad air home.

Problems so far:

1) laggy scrolling in PDF preview in general
2) full non-response in PDF preview. Intermittent.
3) Not sure about this one: Can't disable keyboard click feedback. Not sure about this one: can't see the touchpad pointer very well.
4) Palm rejection doesn't seem 100% reliable.
5) with the keyboard, almost the same weight at the 2015 macbook air it was supposed to be replacing
6) walled garden still a risk and always worth mentioning

However, I love the solid feel. The keyboard feels really good and it feels good in the hand. Handwriting recognition works really well.

Overall, not worth the price tag IMHO. If it was me and I really needed pencil support I would have just got an older model.

Edit: we're now starting to think that there's something wrong with the touchscreen because we don't get this problem with her iphone. Personally, I think it isn't grounded properly, allowing static build up to cause intermittent problems. Is this heard of? How to test?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.