Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Sure, some Apple employees read MacRumors.

But MacRumors isn't Apple's customer base. MacRumors is Homer Simpson multiplied by a few ten thousand. And we all know what happened when they let Homer Simpson design the car that he wanted. We have seen this just in the recent past, where Apple released products that according to the MacRumors crowd wouldn't sell at out, and they fly off the shelves! Which is then explained with the buyers being brainwashed, stupid, they would buy a turd with an Apple logo and so on...

Apple doesn't build what _you_ want. They build what _many_ people will _buy_.

Finally, someone who gets it. Don't expect to conform your product of choice to what you need, you buy products that work for you.

Apple would never get where their at right now catering primarily to the will of its consumers. They build products based on their own vision of the best premium products on the market.

Remember...iPhone will never sell subsidized phones that are too expensive...wrong!....iPads are just a big iPhone that nobody will buy...Wrong!

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
What I don't get though, is why they don't create an xMac to replace both the Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

Because then they would have to support third-party cards, etc., for it. They hate giving information to third-parties and don't want to be bothered in general. Even the cMP, which made the implicit promise of support for third-party graphics card options, never really came through. Even their own graphics cards (e.g. putting an Apple 5770 into a 3,1) weren't officially supported.

Also:
  • Magsafe is awesome; safer and more convenient than USB-C to use. But USB-C carries a lot of current now and will be the one standard to rule them all for the next decade. No-one wants to carry a specialized charger (Magsafe) in addition to a USB charger. It's a step backward for charging Apple laptops (only!), but a step forward in all other respects.
  • USB-A/B is annoying and is now obsolete. Glad to see it go from consumer devices. The only issue is second-tier companies being more cautious or slower to transition, but I'd expect that to be over in a year. I'd expect Apple to move iPhones to USB-C within a generation or two as well.
  • Please Apple, for the love of Steve, DO move to a standard M.2 socket for flash, assuming you provide any user-replaceable components at all in the future. And I'll take 2, thanks.

Last edited:

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I despise this way of thinking. Why? Because I see no reason why Apple can't look at both immediate demands and future products. There's absolutely no reason for Apple to abandon (or seemingly abandon) the (arguably) best product in their lineup: the Mac Pro. They can absolutely still make iPads and Watches whilst updating the Mac Pro on a yearly basis.

That was just silly: Is the story here that Apple can't update a computer because they're going to make some new thing that this consumer base really wants? Really? Like what?

Apple doesn't make a lot of computer hardware, they assemble components that somebody else made. They didn't make the D700 or the xeon chip that run the trash can. They're sitting around waiting for other hardware manufacturers to make parts they can throw into machines. (Though I think the Mac Pro is done, personally).

Reactions: pmau

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
(Though I think the Mac Pro is done, personally).
Apple could have updated everything five times already.
The parts are there ... the chipsets are there ... they just don't want to invest in anything that does not have a margin like the iPhone.
That's why the MacBook Pro is so expensive.

They could build new machines, but they can also keep the old models in the store.
Just to pretend. And this is what they decided.

It's not magic, it's just money and the damn profit margin.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
What Apple needs to do is simply have two divisions, a consumer division and a professional division, there are people who are willing to make an investment in hardware that solves a businesses need.

Because business needs change too. What dedicated professionals were needed by companies are now done as a collateral duty with a different job description. Photographers/videographers are being replaced by news reporters with iPhones or running their own equipment as one man shows. Remember the Chicago-Sun Times replaced most of their photographers this way. Probably one reason Apple is aiming more at prosumers rather than the ultra-pro market.

Apple are dumbing us down to IOS, it is pathetic. If I had to do production work on an iPad I would be out of business. In the windows sphere they are using 18 and 20 core processors, nVidia TITAN cards, massive RAM and HD's. Apple used to be the cutting edge of tech, a machine that windows people could envy. Not anymore.

Somethings are being brought from mobile to desktop. But currently the idea is a familiar applications/interface across multiple devices seamlessly. Currently, Apple does not have interest in combining mobile & desktop as its not a very good experience. The touch bar was made more of a compromise rather than a solution to touch on the screen.

I think with a nMP refresh will see more core options for the CPU. But CPU's are advancing at a much slower rate so expect jumping a generation or two won't be a big deal. The use of multiple GPU's a better option for Apple as in the past the Dual D700's had more power than a single GTX Titan at the time. So expect Dual GPU options will remain more relevant over a longer period of time rather than a single GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: slughead

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Because then they would have to support third-party cards, etc., for it. They hate giving information to third-parties and don't want to be bothered in general. Even the cMP, which made the implicit promise of support for third-party graphics card options, never really came through. Even their own graphics cards (e.g. putting an Apple 5770 into a 3,1) weren't officially supported.

Totally true, In point of fact, Apple's OS sometimes breaks 3rd party hardware. They are harshest on their "obsolete" computers--every time you update it breaks chameleon for no reason (they remove 2 lines of code from boot.efi)

Also:
  • Magsafe is awesome; safer and more convenient than USB-C to use. But USB-C carries a lot of current now and will be the one standard to rule them all for the next decade. No-one wants to carry a specialized charger (Magsafe) in addition to a USB charger. It's a step backward for charging Apple laptops (only!), but a step forward in all other respects.
Uh, you do realize that the last time Apple's magsafe didn't carry enough current (65watts) they just.... made a new magsafe. They cleverly called it : MAGSAFE 2

[EDIT: there are actually like >5 types of magsafe chargers of varying wattages and plugs so clearly adding one more isn't outlandish. however the magsafe 2 connector was created specifically for thinness]

Secondly, how much current does this new toy really need? You realize that you can't charge a LiIon battery very quickly or it can reduce the battery life quite a bit.140 watts I'm guessing would charge and run it at full load/speed.

[EDIT: USBC CAN ONLY DO 100 WATTS!!! Magsafe 2 with 5 pins does 85 watts. Ergo: Add one more pin and voila!]

Finally, the new Macbook can charge off most/all USBC ports. It would be super easy to create a simple circuit and a new magsafe. People who prefer to do USBC for charging or are using this to run a *sigh* 5k monitor could do it that way. I'll go one step further and say that they could make a USB-C to magsafe 3 adapter.

So no, I'm not buying it. it took a bit more space on the side of the thing but who cares. Magsafe was a good invention, that's why they invented it. Switching to USBC was over-engineering and under-thinking.

• USB-A/B is annoying and is now obsolete. Glad to see it go from consumer devices. The only issue is second-tier companies being more cautious or slower to transition, but I'd expect that to be over in a year. I'd expect Apple to move iPhones to USB-C within a generation or two as well.
Yep, totally obsolete, because you know 10gigabits per second was SOOOO limiting. It's also so annoying to not have to use adapters for like 99% of the hardware out there. This reminds be of back in 2013 when people were saying USB a/b was obsolete because of thunderbolt. I'm sure we'll see the end of USB a/b any day now.

As far as "second-tier companies being slow to transition"... You mean like freaking Apple??? last I checked no USBC adapter was included with the iPhone 7.

• Please Apple, for the love of Steve, DO move to a standard M.2 socket for flash, assuming you provide any user-replaceable components at all in the future. And I'll take 2, thanks.

Here I'm with you. However as we've seen, they want you to buy a whole new computer. I'm sadly putzing around with my 256gb hard drive in my 2013 rMBP, I keep a 128gb USBA flash drive dongle plugged in at all times to hold media because upgrading this thing would be too much of a pain.

Last edited:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Totally true, In point of fact, Apple's OS sometimes breaks 3rd party hardware. They are harshest on their "obsolete" computers--every time you update it breaks chameleon for no reason (they remove 2 lines of code from boot.efi)

I'm not sure why Nvidia keeps tying their drivers to specific versions of MacOS is the problem. Its normal for updates to change build numbers for tracking purposes.

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Slughead, you missed out on an important rant opportunity: Apple changed to Magsafe 2 to make laptops thinner! That was pretty much it.

Reactions: aaronhead14

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I despise this way of thinking. Why? Because I see no reason why Apple can't look at both immediate demands and future products. There's absolutely no reason for Apple to abandon (or seemingly abandon) the (arguably) best product in their lineup: the Mac Pro. They can absolutely still make iPads and Watches whilst updating the Mac Pro on a yearly basis.

Because Lenny Apple's only engineer for the Macintosh. Can only work on one computer at a time in his dank dark basement office. Next to the janitorial supplies. All he has time for are the Macbook, Macbook Pro and iMac.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
macOS is what keeps me tethered...for now.

With their focus on iOS devices Apple may realize this and 'move in another direction' anyway.

I've stated that once my business moves in 'another direction' away from Mac computers, our Apple ecosystem 'devices' will follow soon thereafter as we retire them.

I have read a number of posts in various places with the same sentiment.

Reactions: Restes

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I'm not sure why Nvidia keeps tying their drivers to specific versions of MacOS is the problem. Its normal for updates to change build numbers for tracking purposes.

Here's what was posted there (to save the click):

Binary drivers depend on binary interfaces between the NVIDIA and Apple components. NVIDIA has no guarantee that Apple won't change those binary interfaces, breaking backwards compatibility, on any update (even a "security update"). So, they've decided to just rebuild and release a new driver for each OS update rather than risk people facing constant application crashes or kernel panics due to binary incompatibilities. Or, in other words, they've chosen what they believe to be the lesser of two evils. Dealing with some grumbling about having to update is probably better than dealing with countless folks with completely non-functional systems due to kernel panics and the like.
[doublepost=1482427692][/doublepost]
Slughead, you missed out on an important rant opportunity: Apple changed to Magsafe 2 to make laptops thinner! That was pretty much it.

Oh you're right, sorry I thought magsafe 1 only went to 60w, there was indeed an 85watt magsafe 1

Point still stands though: the 2016 rMBP totally could have a magsafe plug that did 100watts easily.

The "need" to switch to type C is total bullcrap.
[doublepost=1482428040][/doublepost]LOL in fact there were like 5 variations of magsafe chargers with various wattages and connectors. Clearly Apple had no issue doing proprietary non-swappable chargers. Why not just add another one??

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Slughead, the wattage is just the amount of power that the charger can provide. Apple supplied higher power chargers with laptops that needed more power. But you could use any of them on any laptop. Some laptops might charge a little faster with a bigger charger. Some combinations might charge very slowly or not at all under load. But they were all always interchangeable at their core.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Slughead, the wattage is just the amount of power that the charger can provide. Apple supplied higher power chargers with laptops that needed more power. But you could use any of them on any laptop. Some laptops would just charge a little faster. Some combinations might charge very slowly or not at all under load. But they were all always interchangeable at their core.

Oh okay, so you can plug a Magsafe 2 into a magsafe 1 port? Got it.

square-peg-round-hole.jpg

Once again: the point was that a Magsafe 3 is not an outlandish thing for Apple to do. Although I bet they could run 100watts through magsafe 2.

Are you a torpedo? Because you're missing the boat!

The point, in case you missed it for the 3rd time: They could put magsafe into the new macbook as and keep USBC charging capability, and they've done this before several times.

Reactions: thestickman

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
the 2016 rMBP totally could have a magsafe plug that did 100watts easily.

The MagSafe power adapter is ingenious and proven itself invaluable. EVERY time the power cord got pulled out of a MBP here someone would sing Apple's praises that they didn't fling a $3000 computer onto the floor.

It was just stunning that it was removed.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
The MagSafe power adapter is ingenious and proven itself invaluable. EVERY time the power cord got pulled out of a MBP here someone would sing Apple's praises that they didn't fling a $3000 computer onto the floor.

It was just stunning that it was removed.

Totally agree, I have an alienware R2 15" and going between that and my rMBP 2013 is so annoying often for this reason alone.

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Are you a torpedo? Because you're missing the boat!

Slughead, try to have a little more patience with others. I was providing information. If you don't like it, fine, just move on. You don't have to hammer on your own opinions 3 or more times as if others are brain-dead.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Slughead, try to have a little more patience with the opinions of others.
I pointed out you were wrong about some odd "need" to drop magsafe in favor of a mythical USBC revolution. I pointed out Apple's adapted magsafe to fit its needs before (in case this was even an issue). Clearly they've made them incompatible with previous versions before. You attempt to nitpick me to death (probably because you've got no argument to the actual point) and I call you out on it. As far as your "stop being an ass" comment (I like your new patronizing edit, by the way), that torpedo thing was a joke.

If you can't tolerate being poked fun at, stop making it easy to do it by staying on point, or maybe stop arguing on the internet.

I give Apple a lot of crap, but Magsafe is definitely a great thing and for a laptop it's a major selling point worth even sacrificing other features for (not that they even necessarily needed do to that).

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
I never said they needed to drop it. And I did say it was "awesome."

Grow up and show some respect for contributors to this forum. Or at least improve your reading comprehension.

singhs.apps

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
With their focus on iOS devices Apple may realize this and 'move in another direction' anyway.

I've stated that once my business moves in 'another direction' away from Mac computers, our Apple ecosystem 'devices' will follow soon thereafter as we retire them.

I have read a number of posts in various places with the same sentiment.

Yes. One reason I bought into the Apple eco system was that they provided what I saw as the best products. A professional as well as personal end to end solution from one single company: World-class Hardware, OS, Mobile systems. All of it in one place. That was part of the draw

I was the one who encouraged my friends and family to move to the Apple ecosystem.

And now I myself am contemplating moving away, discouraged ( encouraged ? ) by Apple's strategy past few years. Mobile solutions from other companies have caught up and smart phones are moving into commodity segment anyway. My iPhone 7+ doesn't give any better performance than my Android phones.

If I go my entire lineup will change. And so will my family's. I won't support two diff platforms.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
The problem is so what if they read it? The powers at Apple do have much more stuff on their daily agenda. Apple and other tech companies need to stay cutting edge or else they'll fall behind. Compare Siri to Google Voice and it's not even close.

What Apple has lost is the real distinction between consumer and pro grade devices, altough it's not as easy as it used to be because the suppliers are only providing incremental updates. I mean can people honestly tell me a real world difference between a Sky and Kaby lake i7 cpu? I'll be fully honest I can't.

BUT making devices thinner for the sake of it, being behind on VR could hurt their bottom line a bit.

Reactions: aaronhead14

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Magsafe is a good feature to have, but I don't think it in anyway makes or breaks its selling point. I find most people don't take good care of their gear in general. 90% of user damage could be avoided. If I spend top dollar on equipment, I always take good care of my hard earned money.

Reactions: slughead

teagls

macrumors regular
May 16, 2013
This is all I'm asking for:
  • A Mac Pro with a tower-like design (similar to the the pre-2013 Mac Pros).
  • Up to 128 GB RAM (and user-upgradeable)
  • GTX 1080 or Titan Pascal graphics card options
  • A non-proprietary SSD, and plenty of room to add my own SSDs later
  • PCI-e slots for expandability
THAT'S IT! That's all we want! Just make it happen. It seriously can't be that hard to make a product like this....

In fact, if you're really so adamantly against making the Mac Pro that everyone wants, please let me make it myself. All you need to to is give me permission to install macOS, and give me Nvidia Pascal drivers.

You can have that right now. Minus the Pascal GPU. And you can do it yourself. Build a hackintosh it really isn't that hard now nor is it tough to maintain. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. I have honestly had more problems with the nMP then I have had with this machine. Took maybe 2-3hrs to get everything up and running and that was it.

I ditched my nMP for this machine:
-Broadwell-e 6850K
-64GBs RAM with expandability up to 128GBs
-NVME M.2
-980ti
-Plenty of PCIE-e slots
-Plenty of room for additional SSDs

Also the real kicker I got this machine for half the cost of a comparable nMP and it's still more powerful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.