Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
This is exactly why this current era sucks so badly and seems to be a no win situation.

How I see this conundrum progressing: Let's say Apple releases five new computers in 2017 and they all flop. But they flop strictly because they're genuinely just bad, underpowered, non-upgradeable, etc. Apple will interpret the lack of sales as confirmation that no one wants a computer anymore. They won't realize it's because they released regressed inferior machines that people don't want, and especially for the cost of multiple thousands of dollars.

Like the quote above says, lack of sales will only be seen as proof of changing markets and that personal computers are dead. We'd like to think that lack of sales would cause them to reflect and re-evaluate what they're producing. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple would see it that way.

If we apply the same measure to the Windows PC world, that example fails miserably. Since the decline of the desktop PC year after year must mean people are not interested in cheaper more powerful computers. They fail to see the decline is due to mobile computing and not needing more powerful desktops for the majority of people. Microsoft & Nokia dismissed that trend, and now one company has disappeared in to obscurity.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Let's face it, if Apple launched a 'Mac Midi' (upgradable mid-size aluminium tower in choice of rose gold) and a tower Mac Pro for only a moderate premium over the Windows world they'd sell, sell, sell. Like crazy.

If they brought out a FatBook Pro (about the width of a pre-retina laptop but with all the stuff people need and upgradability) it would sell like crazy too.

Y'know I think they'd DOUBLE Mac sales, perhaps triple them. Why? Because people disgusted by less and less upgradability from Apple and are hanging on to seriously aged machines would buy again. Many of the forced hackintoshers would probably return too. I know some pros that, while their hackintoshes work fine, feel 'funny' about using a hack as a professional money-making machine.

I think a MacBook that would be ripe for upgradability would be a new 17" RMBP. Could market it as the most powerful mobile Mac Workstation. This way you could offer a portable light but still 'pro' laptop in the 15" non upgradable model, then if users require expandability they can buy a Mac Mobile Workstation. Give it a 4k screen maybe with a few other additions (two slots for SSD), up to 32GB of ram and maybe a Xeon Mobile option.

They could then market this a counterpart to the Mac Pro (if we ever get a upgradable mac pro 2017?)

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
I think a MacBook that would be ripe for upgradability would be a new 17" RMBP. Could market it as the most powerful mobile Mac Workstation. This way you could offer a portable light but still 'pro' laptop in the 15" non upgradable model, then if users require expandability they can buy a Mac Mobile Workstation. Give it a 4k screen maybe with a few other additions (two slots for SSD), up to 32GB of ram and maybe a Xeon Mobile option.

They could then market this a counterpart to the Mac Pro (if we ever get a upgradable mac pro 2017?)
Looking at the prices of the new MacBook Pros, you can only wonder what the Apple tax would be on a 17" machine. It'd probably start at $3500. Yikes.

Wiltonian

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2016
Nottingham, UK
The reason why they don't sell is because they are outdated, poorly designed and overpriced. By that logic Ford should have stopped making cars after the Edsel.

Nah; the reasons are:
1. iMac offers enough power for 95% of users, so MacPro with its high starting price, is never considered by that 95%.
2. iMac at low end offers enough power for at least 50% of users and, in comparison with the Mini (of which few people are aware) doesn't need the buyer to choose a monitor. This is a genuine issue for some people, incomprehensible as it may be to people here.

Stuart

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
Nah; the reasons are:
1. iMac offers enough power for 95% of users, so MacPro with its high starting price, is never considered by that 95%.
2. iMac at low end offers enough power for at least 50% of users and, in comparison with the Mini (of which few people are aware) doesn't need the buyer to choose a monitor. This is a genuine issue for some people, incomprehensible as it may be to people here.
I think they are basing many of their decisions on who buys their largest selling items and those items are their iDevices. As mentioned before, their Macs are probably more of a halo purchase due to the previous purchase of an iDevice so they can share data between desk/lap and device. Apple is instituting a new file system for that purpose so all their products share a common file system.

The Amigos in charge will probably stay there because, as mentioned, their marketshare has increased during Cook's time there so their presence is justified. Whether or not the Amigos are in tune with what the power users want can be argued till the cows come home but the fact is they are going to take Apple in their consumer priority direction. As Stuart says, if an iMac can serve 95% of their customers (sounds very reasonable), then their direction going forward would seem obvious.

Reactions: H2SO4 and imanidiot

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Nah; the reasons are:

Stuart

People are doing just fine on tablets as well. I believe even laptops are outselling desktops these days.

One example: we had a 2008 iMac lying around, we put 6GB RAM and threw in a SSD (Hard drive swapping is a colossal pain to DIY, by the way, but RAM takes 2 minutes). We also did a 801.11ac dongle IIRC. It's doing perfectly with light photoshop, printing, word processing, and web browsing. This thing was released before Obama took office--just incredible that the now-owner probably wouldn't experience a lick of difference in speed upgrading to a 2016 iMac.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Let's face it, if Apple launched a 'Mac Midi' (upgradable mid-size aluminium tower in choice of rose gold) and a tower Mac Pro for only a moderate premium over the Windows world they'd sell, sell, sell. Like crazy.

If they brought out a FatBook Pro (about the width of a pre-retina laptop but with all the stuff people need and upgradability) it would sell like crazy too.

Y'know I think they'd DOUBLE Mac sales, perhaps triple them. Why? Because people disgusted by less and less upgradability from Apple and are hanging on to seriously aged machines would buy again. Many of the forced hackintoshers would probably return too. I know some pros that, while their hackintoshes work fine, feel 'funny' about using a hack as a professional money-making machine.

I couldn't agree more with this entire post!

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Y'know I think they'd DOUBLE Mac sales, perhaps triple them. .

I'm now leaning towards the theory that Apple/Tim want to get out of the market. They created their own self-fulfilling prophecy by not updating the MP for 3 years, claim "they just didn't sell", then they can obsolete it. If people ask, "Why didn't you update it?" they can reply, "sales were too low".

I also prescribe to the future plans of keep pairing down the iMac/Macbook lineup as the iPad/iPhone gain more features and power until they become one homogenous line of products. I'll keep using my nMP until it starts to lose me money and then switch back to Windows.

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008

This is the same damn systems I've been wanting Apple to make for the better part of a decade. A sort of Mac Pro Junior system, with some upgradeable components. I feel vindicated somewhat that I'm not alone in wanting such a thing.

Like you say, they could price it reasonably and reverse policy on this stupid 'un-upgradeable' / sealed box approach they've been increasingly been moving to and I just can't see how they'd fail to make sales.

Sometimes it just makes me think Apple made some unwritten agreement with Microsoft back in the mists of time & lawsuits, to promise to never really compete with them on the desktop. I just can't think of any other explanation for their behaviour on the desktop in recent years.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The real mac pro (cmp) died years ago.
holygrainotdead[1].jpg

Cue Tim Cook to come in with a shovel.

BB8

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2016
There is no dedicated Mac team, so no, I doubt anyone at Apple reads [this particular] forum.

Reactions: George Dawes

fisha

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
I'm now leaning towards the theory that Apple/Tim want to get out of the market.

I have a similar feeling. It has a bit of an IBM feel to it all ... where IBM essentially pulled out of the hardware market, selling it to Lenovo and instead concentrating on providing a service product to customers. They initially sold off the laptop/desktop areas, leaving the cashcow of servers and services.

Apple could in theory do a similar move ... by distancing themselves from the full PC hardware side of things and providing a more phone/ipad service biased product offering. Even then, could pull out the market completely and just offer services only such as the app store and iTunes store as a services only platform.

That being said, I still cant get past that it makes it very hard to drive forward iPhone/iPad applications and services without the hardware means to develop for them or the products to consume them on.

Blair Paulsen

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
San Diego, CA USA
I can't prove it, but:

1) By not refreshing the nMP for so long, Apple was able to sell far more $3,000+ new school rMBPs in late 2016 to people who otherwise would have bought desktops. Insert conspiracy theory of choice...

2) VR/AR is setting up to be the next "killer app" that motivates people to replace their existing computers. As often noted, the vast majority of potential buyers for a new desktop are already satisfied with what they have. (Not ignoring real power users, just postulating there are not enough of us to be seen as a lucrative bit of business).

In 2016, the only path for Apple to seriously enter the VR/AR space would entail premium parts that would cut margins - or push price points beyond marketing targets - and eat power/batteries. In 2017, process shrunk GPUs designed to efficiently support the unique demands of VR/AR should provide Apple with the opportunity to offer robust VR/AR experiences within the form factor, pricing and power envelopes they believe are essential to entice a broad market.

Multitudes of gamers have been the Trojan Horse for the creation of powerful GPU tech that has leveraged the price/performance of media content creation hardware. Here's to hoping we can ride the VR/AR wave to a generation of Macs that also happen to have enough muscle for content creation, sci/tech, virtualization and other demanding professional use cases.

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
That is what you want.
It doesn't mean the rest of us want that.

Surely Apple has employees who read these forums... right?? I don't see how there's any way Apple doesn't know what consumers want in their products... So why the heck doesn't Apple just make the products we want already? I'm so sick of Apple ignoring our wants and needs.

This is all I'm asking for:
  • A Mac Pro with a tower-like design (similar to the the pre-2013 Mac Pros).
  • Up to 128 GB RAM (and user-upgradeable)
  • GTX 1080 or Titan Pascal graphics card options
  • A non-proprietary SSD, and plenty of room to add my own SSDs later
  • PCI-e slots for expandability
THAT'S IT! That's all we want! Just make it happen. It seriously can't be that hard to make a product like this....

In fact, if you're really so adamantly against making the Mac Pro that everyone wants, please let me make it myself. All you need to to is give me permission to install macOS, and give me Nvidia Pascal drivers.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying my new, custom-built Windows PC. But I'm really, really, really missing macOS. It's so much better than Windows!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^No, but a lot os do! Maybe not enough to make a big profit for Apple, but IMHO, they need a Halo Product like cMP was. It does bring folks into the stores.

Lou

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I brought my cMP into a mall-based Apple Store once.

I felt out of place, like I was wheeling a grand piano into an electronic keyboard shop.
Which Apple stores aren't "mall-based" in a general sense?

They all seem to have the same theme - but differ in square footage. The Stanford Shopping Center store is probably larger than most standalone Apple stores.

IMO, they're all creepy - "hip" staff trying to sell overpriced stuff based mainly on its "hipness". Spartan décor with three products shown on twenty counters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.