Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 52.6%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 61 19.9%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 49 16.0%

• Total voters

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Here we go!
My only hope is that these laptops can compete with MBPs, Apple has done an exceptional job designing the hardware and customizing the software to produce a great experience. My experience with ARM windows (on the MBP) has not been stellar.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
My only hope is that these laptops can compete with MBPs, Apple has done an exceptional job designing the hardware and customizing the software to produce a great experience. My experience with ARM windows (on the MBP) has not been stellar.
The last time I tried was with a Robo and Kala device (Surface Pro clone) and it actually was fine. Everything worked great software-wise and was speedy enough. It had a locked down BIOS and wouldn't boot. Couple that with a very short return window and I sent it back.

Supposedly they have been working even more on it, but the proof will be in the proverbial pudding, as they say.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The last time I tried was with a Robo
I haven't tried in maybe a year? I forget exactly when, but some work related software just wouldn't run. I needed windows to run work stuff, life would have been a lot simpler if that worked, then I could just take my MBP, but now I have to lug my Razer around.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I haven't tried in maybe a year? I forget exactly when, but some work related software just wouldn't run. I needed windows to run work stuff, life would have been a lot simpler if that worked, then I could just take my MBP, but now I have to lug my Razer around.
Well, keep in mind that ARM virtualization software on a mac may be different than ARM on a native windows machine. For instance, I can't connect Azure Virtual Desktop, with a smart card, using Parallels on mac, but I can do it using ARM on Windows...although I could be wrong, don't quote me on that since I can't test it right now. But there are differences.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well, keep in mind that ARM virtualization software on a mac may be different than ARM on a native windows machine.
No question, and I'm sure the virtualization layer/software was partly responsible for the issues. The MBP has a lot going for it, and I'd much prefer travel with that over my Razer - at least on trips that I don't plan on gaming.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Don't you have a 14" Razer? It's not much larger than a MBP, right?
Nope, I bought and returned one, a couple of years ago. I have an aging 2019 15" Razer Advanced. Its definitely showing its age, both in poor battery, but also run gaming performance. I'm sending my daughter to college this year so that razer isn't about to get replaced. I'll be limping along with that for a while longer

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Nope, I bought and returned one, a couple of years ago. I have an aging 2019 15" Razer Advanced. Its definitely showing its age, both in poor battery, but also run gaming performance. I'm sending my daughter to college this year so that razer isn't about to get replaced. I'll be limping along with that for a while longer

Ah okay. I still can't make up my mind about if I'm going to replace this M1 MBA, and if so, what it'd be. Razer, Framework, MBP...who knows.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I still use my thinkpad with linux for anything work related. But recently bought a M2 MBA 15" for travel.
And I really love it. Light, great screen, great speakers, excellent performance and battery life. MS really needs to step up their game with software for ARM.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
I am on a 2nd gen SPX after having used a 1st gen for a few years. Both have been great, light, silent machines. WOA has come a long way - at this point it's mainly waiting on hardware improvements which should be coming next month with the snapdragon SP10s and SL6s. That being said, now I have my eye on an X1 16 Fold gen2 lol

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yep, like you I normally travel with my 14" Razer book and run Parallels on my 16" MBP M2 at home

I miss the old bootcamp days that I happily used for 10 years

I was in KL 3 weeks back and my Razer screen just stopped, fortunately a friend lives in Singapore and commutes to KL and will take my Razer in for repair but as I am away from UK for 3 months so I just bought a 14" M3 MBP to use in Thailand

But for sure Parallels is a poor substitute and laggy compared to bootcamp and takes the edge of the good Apple hardware

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

So here we go again. Looks like a March announcement for upcoming Surface devices supposedly with Meteor Lake but I can't find many other details.

The Surface Pro is a great tablet but for me I prefer the Laptop. I have had a few over the years and the black aluminum is my favorite, although it would be nice to have some other colors in the all aluminum chassis.

I don't know, Microsoft has an opportunity to really Wow us again since the Laptop 5 is a pretty old design. I really want to see a big redesign and not just a reiteration of the same thing. They don't need to change the design completely but they should be able to fit a 14" screen in the same chassis and can still shrink the design a bit. We need narrow bezels and if MS is sticking with it's rounded UI theme then the corners of the screen should be rounded to match. It would also match the boxy design of the laptop with rounded corners. We need a big screen upgrade. I would prefer Oled but I doubt that will make it so a good 120hz high contrast IPS panel would suffice. I like the haptic track pad. The speakers are really good and I don't mind them being under the keyboard but I would like even louder volume and deeper bass. Then we need bigger batteries and a better cooling system. Since MS is using a small laptop frame a vapor chamber cooling with dual fans would be great.

If the laptop came with arm then it might give me something to consider.

The Surface Pro 9 was almost there with slimmer bezels on the sides and 120hz screen.

Ports. We need more ports. I get the Ultrabooks get away with less ports but one usb a and one usb c is just not enough. 2 thunderbolt ports, one usb a, micro sd, and the magnetic power adapter would be more than enough. HDMI would also be nice but at least those ports.

I have had thin and light notebooks with limited ports but at least you get two thunderbolt and one usb a. Of course all of these have the 3.5mm headphone jack.

I don't know. I just feel like these are going to be priced high and probably use Intel U series for meteor lake but who knows the u7 155h would be a good fit if it had enough cooling. But if you got the ultra 7 155h and 16 or 32gb ram and a 1 tb drive it is going to cost a fortune. And it will still probably have inferior parts like LCD vs OLED, 60hz vs 120hz, etc.

I am a bit pessimistic I admit. I drool over these devices specially a few years ago. No bloatware, easy to wipe the drive and install the latest fresh version of Windows made for your device, great hardware design for the time and even if dated cpu still a very compelling device. I really hope they make another great pair or devices. Surface pro 10 is set to get OLED but it doesn't say the laptop....

In my opinion the biggest problem with the Laptop 6 potentially is that Microsoft needs to refresh the hardware with some major revisions and they haven't done it in a while. We will see if they do this time.

What I wish would happen but never will, is MS releases the Surface Laptop 6 line to compete with Apple's air and MBP and aggressively price to compete. 8gb/256gb model base starts at $1000, 16/512gb is $1399, 32/1tb $1899. MS puts a 120hz 3k OLED touch panel with ar coating, Ultra 155 and 165h and ddr 5x ram. larger batteries and slimmer bezels. New colors. MS releases a MS laptop 6 Ultra with dedicated Nvidia 4060 GPU or better and only available in 16" size with dual fan cooling, large power adapter, Intel Ultra highest version. $2499. They would be very competitive and have a product that could be very successful.

I bet the line up will be more expensive and not have OLED screens and maybe not even 120hz and with the Studio instead of the Ultra version I was proposing and the anything not Studio will be just a consumer laptop for general use.

Last edited:

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Ok so this has gotten me really excited. And as the article states, it believes that this is without optimization. Also for all we know this could just be the low end processor, but even if its the high end, it is really good.

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
Good times, looking forward to see the reveals late March --- but June for the ARM versions .... that's far, far away 😱

Queen6

macrumors G4
Last Microsoft impressed me was with the Surface Book, bought & owned. Sadly it's been downhill ever since. While I'm not in love with the Mac or OS X trajectory, 20 hours on a charge for a notebook and the inherent performance is not to be sniffed at.

As for Surface, Microsoft needs to get back to leading the pack not being yet another bland member of the herd...

Q-6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yup, that's where I am at. Unfortunately, though, I am cursed with the mouse cursor bug on Sonoma, and they are just not fixing it. I'm really, really not impressed.
I wish Apple would quit with the toys & bloat and fix the OS. They really have no excuses given they develop both the HW & SW. I also wish you could remove Apple's bloat as I dont use much of their apps and only really want the Mac for the core OS. The rest I'll use what I see fit...

Q-6

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Last Microsoft impressed me was with the Surface Book, bought & owned. Sadly it's been downhill ever since. While I'm not in love with the Mac or OS X trajectory, 20 hours on a charge for a notebook and the inherent performance is not to be sniffed at.

As for Surface, Microsoft needs to get back to leading the pack not being yet another bland member of the herd...

Q-6
Let's hope that with the new Qualcomm ARM processors, Microsoft can have the same longish batter life.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Let's hope that with the new Qualcomm ARM processors, Microsoft can have the same longish batter life.
Just to offer a glimmer of hope. While the new Intel Ultra performance processors may not be as efficient or as powerful as M3 Pro/Max they are significantly better in terms of efficiency and thermals.

However, Intel still has a lot of room to shrink their process and continue to improve performance and efficiency. If they are doing this good now then there is hope as they reach closer to 4nm that we will start seeing the same battery life as m series chips. So we may still be a couple years off but we are much closer.

Qualcomm looks good this year and I bet in a year or two from now these arm chips will be highly competitive to x86 and m series. So arm looks to be on a faster trajectory than x86 AMD or Intel.

This is the first year using Intel I don't feel like I am making a huge compromise. The Intel Ultra 7 155h is faster than M3 in multicore and in GPU but M3 Pro and Max are faster still in both areas but generally cost a lot more. So the trade off is more acceptable and with a slim and light 16" laptop I can get an OLED anti reflective touch screen in a lighter package with performance and battery life that is good enough I don't need to plug in for a day's work and can get the same performance on or off battery. These are big improvements and as these chips get further optimized and new gens are released things should only get better.

Intel was very smart to use big little architecture as it allows them with a less advanced process to compete in performance and in battery by balancing tasks to lower power cores and higher power cores to maximize battery life and efficiency and performance all at the same time. If they would have kept just one core type then they would be nowhere near as competitive as they are.

So if Microsoft can actually invest in it's hardware and cut short term profits a bit to boost sales and lead the space with innovative design again then we could have a very exciting few years. If Microsoft plays it safe as usual and tries to maximize profits over proper hardware then they will suffer. The competition has gotten too good in the absence of the Surface line really dominating as they did in the past.

I don't like the high prices but if the hardware and software is there then I don't mind paying a small premium for MS surface products. I feel like they are similar to Apple in that they are devices everyone aspires to have but can't always afford. As long as other companies can develop better products for less in competition with surface then we all win as consumers.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It's a shame Samsung did not continue with their ARM based laptops. My wife's little Samsung book that replaced her Macbook 2015 (running bootcamp) has been an exemplary device for her usage and probably most users dailies :) with endurance that even rivals Apple.

Of course its no beast in terms of pure grunt but given its capable full OS and ultra portable, its a great travel companion and/or for those with modest needs

It would of been on its 4th iteration if Samsung had continued :(

Reactions: max2 and Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.