Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own a Surface device

• Yes I own a Surface Pro or Surfacebook - it’s great

Votes: 161 52.6%
  • Yes I own a Surface laptop - it’s great

Votes: 35 11.4%
  • No - i’m not a fan

Votes: 61 19.9%
  • Not anymore I had a bad experience

Votes: 49 16.0%

• Total voters

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
fresh from Zac Bowden / Windows Central
  • Microsoft has announced a special Windows and Surface event for May 20.
  • The event will include announcements around new Arm Surface PCs and next-gen AI features coming to Windows 11.
  • The event will not be live-streamed, but press will be in-attendance in Seattle.

no live stream :(
additionally, press in attendance only, likely also means there won't be any Surface ARM hints/reveals at the event on March 21 (which is primarily for the Surface Intel Core (no i) and business upgrade versions).

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I read an article on the Surface laptop and it is getting an OLED screen, slimmer bezels and more ports. It was light on details but this is very good news in my opinion.

It seems we are getting a proper redesign. I am pretty excited and it said around June they will announce the arm versions. Sucks it is that far away but I am very interested in the arm version.

I know I won't be able to afford a configuration I want until they go on sale. Glad to see Microsoft putting some effort into the Surface laptops. In my humble opinion the all aluminum models have some of the best laptops I have had with a couple exceptions and these new laptops might fix those exception!!

• Love
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I read an article on the Surface laptop and it is getting an OLED screen, slimmer bezels and more ports. It was light on details but this is very good news in my opinion.

It seems we are getting a proper redesign. I am pretty excited and it said around June they will announce the arm versions. Sucks it is that far away but I am very interested in the arm version.

I know I won't be able to afford a configuration I want until they go on sale. Glad to see Microsoft putting some effort into the Surface laptops. In my humble opinion the all aluminum models have some of the best laptops I have had with a couple exceptions and these new laptops might fix those exception!!
I love the Surface Pro line in the same way you talk about the surface laptop line, and while I won't need an upgrade for a while, I really hope the ARM line fixes the few issues (battery life - power somewhat) as well!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I love the Surface Pro line in the same way you talk about the surface laptop line, and while I won't need an upgrade for a while, I really hope the ARM line fixes the few issues (battery life - power somewhat) as well!
I also really like that Microsoft offers a full iso of your device and as new Windows major releases or updates are given there will be a new iso build. So you can re install Windows fresh to the latest version of Windows complete with all drivers and updates in Windows update. Love this about Surface devices.

The laptop was when first introduced in my opinion way better than the MacBook air at the time. I loved the direction they took the design and made a beautiful and functional alternative to the MacBook air.

Hopefully the new Laptop 6 will be able to do the same thing all over again!

• Love

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I also really like that Microsoft offers a full iso of your device and as new Windows major releases or updates are given there will be a new iso build. So you can re install Windows fresh to the latest version of Windows complete with all drivers and updates in Windows update. Love this about Surface devices.

The laptop was when first introduced in my opinion way better than the MacBook air at the time. I loved the direction they took the design and made a beautiful and functional alternative to the MacBook air.

Hopefully the new Laptop 6 will be able to do the same thing all over again!
Completely agree. I am also excited, though, to see what the OEMs come up with for Snapdragon X Elite. Imagine the Asus ROG Flow Z13 Tablet but with a better graphics and CPU? Or a full gaming PC desktop but in a laptop. So many possibilities. What will Framework do with it?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I hope the consumer line is different!

So we are getting the same size screen which means the same size bezels from years ago in 2024! We are also getting IPS display just like before. It is a good IPS display but with the competition all going for OLED I expected better. The anti-reflective display will be nice but streaming content will be subpar because of the black bars and IPS not being true black. Only 400 nits peak brightness.

Ports are the same with the exception the 15" has one extra usb a port.

Prices are high as expected. $1200 gets you an Intel Ultra 5 and 8gb ram and 256gb ssd.

So they didn't redesign this year either. They slapped the same screen and added some software enhancements and an ar coating and called it a day. We are getting 13" and 15" model in 2024 just seems dated to me. I thought we would see 14 and 16" models.

Same basic design and ports, same resolution screen with same 60hz IPS display, average battery life.

I am very disappointed. Microsoft had a chance to make something great and instead just gave us a basic update to the same very dated laptop.

I think the Surface Pro 10 is probably the better device but I don't like Tablets as a primary device.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

So we are getting the same size screen which means the same size bezels from years ago in 2024! We are also getting IPS display just like before. It is a good IPS display but with the competition all going for OLED I expected better. The anti-reflective display will be nice but streaming content will be subpar because of the black bars and IPS not being true black. Only 400 nits peak brightness.

Prices are high as expected. $1200 gets you an Intel Ultra 5 and 8gb ram and 256gb ssd.

So they didn't redesign this year either. They slapped the same screen and added some software enhancements and an ar coating and called it a day. We are getting 13" and 15" model in 2024 just seems dated to me. I thought we would see 14 and 16" models.

Same basic design and ports, same resolution screen with same 60hz IPS display, average battery life.

I am very disappointed. Microsoft had a chance to make something great and instead just gave us a basic update to the same very dated laptop.

I think the Surface Pro 10 is probably the better device but I don't like Tablets as a primary device.
Yeah, I am way more interested in what they are announcing in May. This is nothing really interesting.

Reactions: Technerd108

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
The Surface Pro X didn't appear to be a hit to me; why will these ones with Snapdragon Elite X?

I ask as I am hovering over the purchase of a SP9 at the moment and wondering whether to wait.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The Surface Pro X didn't appear to be a hit to me; why will these ones with Snapdragon Elite X?

I ask as I am hovering over the purchase of a SP9 at the moment and wondering whether to wait.
Any device with the new Snapdragon should be a significant upgrade in terms of performance, efficiency and graphics. I think the SP9/10 would possibly be more useful being x86 but it seems as if Microsoft is finally pushing ARM on Windows so I think the platform will be viable very soon. If you rely on third party software on Windows check to see if it is compatible with ARM on Windows. If not, then that might be a consideration. There might be some apps or software you can't use because of ARM limitations.

That all being said, ARM platform on Window's has potential to be disruptive in the market because if these new SD chips deliver as much as it is rumored then they should provide m3 level of performance and efficiency not seen on Windows laptops before. So it might be fun to a true 20 hours SOT and have the same performance as M3 or better.

Seems all these surface devices are getting price bumps so the Arm devices might be really expensive. I would wait and see what OEMS do. I have heard that Samsung might release a GalaxyBook 4 Pro 360 with Snapdragon. If I were going to consider ARM after the recent announcements of Surface hardware I would want to see alternatives first and consider prices and features. As much as I love Surface they are not leading in design or stand out features anymore with the exception of the Pro line and arm, but even then it seems other OEM's have plans in the works for Windows on arm.

If I compare a GalaxyBook 4 Pro 360 to the Laptop 6, the GalaxyBook is a better device so I would expect the same to true for arm devices coming up. That being said there is no doubt arm on Windows is very exciting right now!! If you pre-ordered a surface on arm I don't think you will be disappointed if you can afford it!

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

It really depends on what you need. My SP9 with came with an i5 and 8GB RAM. I upgraded the 256GB SSD to 512GB for like $40. So the whole thing cost me like $650 on Swappa. Since I am always at my desks and this is a second computer, I don't do anything high end on the thing. I consume streaming media, play Apple Music, browse the web, write in Scrivener, use LibreOffice, take notes in Penbook, draw in Leonardo, run Photo Affinity 2, email on Thunderbird, etc.,

What I got for that price is totally worth it, but I don't care about battery life at all. And I do use it to remote into work when traveling.

Now what if in May, I could get all of that with an OLED screen and Snapdragon X Elite? It could mean x3 the battery life and like x3 the power. I mean, I would take it, but it also might be x3 the $650 I paid LOL.

So for me it's a no brainer to just keep what I have right now for $650, this isn't like intel on the Macbook Airs before M1. Those things were overheating when you opened a browser practically. So the M1 version was ridiculously better.

If I were in your shoes, it would depend on what you need and how much you paying for the status quo. If you are paying over a grand for the SP9, then I would definitely wait.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020

enterprise customers don't like change (peripherals, stands, other custom do-thats and all) - so a redesign wasn't on the cards.

Keep in mind those devices that were announced today are the business versions, hence even the authentication card slot reader.

You can only buy those devices from their business store (but don't have to be a business).
You can't get them at the big box stores.

Bowden already mentioned that the consumer version of the Laptop 6 (aka X Elite ARM version) will have some visual changes. Surface Pro got a slight refresh 2 generations ago I think. Microsoft cut down on the Surface portfolio and it's investments. More wasn't on the cards this year unfortunately.

Zac Bowden: I’m told the Arm Surface Pro 10 will have an OLED display option, and the Arm Surface Laptop 6 will include a revised design with thinner display bezels, a haptic touchpad, and more ports.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
enterprise customers don't like change (peripherals, stands, other custom do-thats and all) - so a redesign wasn't on the cards.

Keep in mind those devices that were announced today are the business versions.
You can only buy it from their business store (but don't have to be a business), but you can't get them at the big box stores.

Bowden already mentioned that the consumer version of the Laptop 6 (aka X Elite ARM version) will have some visual changes. Surface Pro got a slight refresh 2 generations ago I think.

Microsoft cut down on the Surface portfolio and it's investments. More wasn't on the cards this year unfortunately.
These are the rumors I heard as well. I was just disappointed that it didn't seem like the rumors were playing out.

I understand these are business versions but I have bought the business versions before and the only difference was a better processor and configs not offered to consumers but the design, ports, screen are all identical. So I find it hard to believe they would release a business line and then a consumer line with better everything. I get that businesses don't like change but they also don't want to buy outdated equipment that has to last 3-5 years.

However, you might be exactly right. I sincerely hope you are and all those rumors are true otherwise I don't know who would buy a laptop 6 when there are so many other better OEM options for less?

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
Following this and the "When will the new Ipad Pros launch?"-thread .... I'm so much in doubt this cycle where I put my tablet bet ...

I'll probabiy hedge, wait until May and see specs. and prices for the new ARM Surfaces and take it from there. The dream of the "One device"-nirvana is so close :).

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Following this and the "When will the new Ipad Pros launch?"-thread .... I'm so much in doubt this cycle where I put my tablet bet ...

I'll probabiy hedge, wait until May and see specs. and prices for the new ARM Surfaces and take it from there. The dream of the "One device"-nirvana is so close :).
If they really wanted to make it tough on us, create the iPad Ultra with MacOS to fight that Snapdragon X Elite Surface Pro and let's go!!!!

Reactions: Technerd108

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
(ARM) Surface Laptop 6 is getting a design refresh
  • thinner bezels with rounded display corners
  • a new haptic trackpad
  • an additional USB-C port.
  • a wider selection of colors
  • first big design update for the Surface Laptop line since its debut in 2017.

(ARM) Surface Pro 10 for consumers will be very similar to the (Intel) Surface Pro 10 for business from a design perspective
  • OLED display option for the first time, which will deliver rich contrast and better viewing angles.
  • a wider selection of colors
Source: Zac Bowden

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
It's never going to happen, though. Unless the other side can produce something so compelling that it starts attracting users from them and sales are lost. Until then, you will buy an MBA and an iPad, and you will thank Apple.
Right, which is why I use a Surface Pro 9 with my gaming laptop. :)

Reactions: LeeW

Queen6

macrumors G4
This, if it delivers the performance and battery life, is what I want in my life.

Has an i5 with 8/256 that I upgraded to 512. Battery life is about 4-5 hours. I could probably get 6 if I cared to push it.
When Surface beats the M series Mac's I'll revisit, as 4-5 hours is not remotely close to what I need or now used to. Microsoft was on the right path with the Surface Book but dumped it in in favour of pursuing a worse performing MBP clone.

TBH Surface has rather fizzled out into much to do about nothing. At this point Microsoft really needs to dig in and go...

Q-6

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
as 4-5 hours is not remotely close to what I need

Yes, this. It's why I have been avoiding it. Six hours is not a full day, and I need a battery capable of a full day. Ten hours would be fine. I am spoiled with the MBA these days on battery, but I still like the SP's form factor and versatility.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Wh
Yes, this. It's why I have been avoiding it. Six hours is not a full day, and I need a battery capable of a full day. Ten hours would be fine. I am spoiled with the MBA these days on battery, but I still like the SP's form factor and versatility.
While Apple has many issues they have always have always nailed runtime on battery. I learned a long while back that a notebook with a dead battery is little more than deadweight. My portables need to be that, so the notebook with the longest runtime in the 12" - 14" spectrum will always win for me.

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.