Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
EDIT: Uh Oh. Klopp just won manager of the month...that bodes ill for our next match.

Columbus with a typically inept performance last night, drawing 2-2 with a hopeless Chicago side and that seals our fate. No playoffs. We didn't deserve them, but it's still depressing for a team that made th eleague final last year.

Picking up the pieces:
  • Our offense was adequate, even after losing Kei Kamara. Ola Kamara (no relation) did even better as a replacement.
  • Turnovers were a consistent problem, though at this level I think we can't expect our passing game to be as airtight as the top Euro leagues.
  • The wingbacks were somewhat inconsistent but overall not bad - very good going forward for the most part.
  • The defense as a unit was abysmal however, and I have to pin the majority of blame on our center backs - Parkhurst was a dumpster fire this season, a complete disaster. His companions in the position weren't much better. Clark is a solid shot stopper but shaky at everything else. The defense needs a major overhaul in the offseason. Probably time for a new goalkeeper.

I hate to say this, but as soon as Columbus drop out of the playoff picture I lose interest in MLS. The champs are going to be the traditional spoiled league golden boy LA or some hipster expansion team from the Northwest. Or worse, one of the NY plastics. Bah. I guess I won't mind if Dallas/Colorado win it. I might watch the final.

I don't really want to discuss Ched Evans, so I won't - other than to say I am left feeling disgusted and deflated by the outcome of his retrial. Whether what he did constituted rape or not, he, his partner, and his fans have acted in a vile and reprehensible manner. He has already paid a strong price for his actions, but I am still left feeling that justice has failed the victim.

I don't agree with the stereotype that footballers have to be squeaky clean role models, but their wealth and celebrity does mean that their actions (both good and bad) can have much greater impacts than that of your average Joe. In this case I feel that Evans and his partisans leveraged both his wealth and celebrity to punish an innocent and largely powerless victim twice over. There, I've said my peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No, @JamesMike: I am sorry, but: As long as Mr Mourinho - and the moral black hole he represents - is in charge of Manchester United, I will applaud every setback, and cheer every defeat.
Agree, but it's hard to want Liverpool to win as well isn't it? Could they both lose?

Glad to see West Ham finally getting another win. Hopefully we can take some confidence from it and string a few together.
[doublepost=1476599668][/doublepost]
He certainly was not my choice. I still say Giggs was a better choice.
What's he doing now? I get the feeling he's waiting for a call from MU when it all goes Pete Tong.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
He certainly was not my choice. I still say Giggs was a better choice.

Oh, agreed. Absolutely.

Agree, but it's hard to want Liverpool to win as well isn't it? Could they both lose?

Mr Mourinho's appointment represented a victory for values such as arrogance, nastiness, and narcissistic, destructive nihilism - and his appointment has ensured that these values are now embedded as part of what Manchester United are said - or seen - to stand for.

That means that until he implodes - or is dismissed (and - going on how his previous managerial posts ended I cannot see how the conclusion of his career at Manchester United will take any other form), I will support anyone who plays against Manchester United in any competition.

So, yes, I wish all luck and fortune, and goals in the net and points on the table and refereeing decisions in their favour - to Liverpool.

What's he doing now? I get the feeling he's waiting for a call from MU when it all goes Pete Tong.

What an eloquent example of Cockney rhyming slang!

Reactions: JamesMike

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Oh, agreed. Absolutely.

Mr Mourinho's appointment represented a victory for values such as arrogance, nastiness, and narcissistic, destructive nihilism - and his appointment has ensured that these values are now embedded as part of what Manchester United are said - or seen - to stand for.

That means that until he implodes - or is dismissed (and - going on how his previous managerial posts ended I cannot see how the conclusion of his career at Manchester United will take any other form), I will support anyone who plays against Manchester United in any competition.

So, yes, I wish all luck and fortune, and goals in the net and points on the table and refereeing decisions in their favour - to Liverpool.

What an eloquent example of Cockney rhyming slang!
I like to slip them in now and then to remind me of my roots!
Especially when talking to my European colleagues! That always throws them!

Having now watched our game (being the last game on MOTD I never stood a chance), I really hope that red gets overturned. Neither were a booking and as Alan Sheerer said, we should have had a penalty for the first 'dive'.
We've missed too much of Cresswell this season already. He seamed to be integral in the win.

Reactions: JamesMike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Wow, some real "19th century football" from Mou. That has to be the worst match I've seen this season.

I was listening to the (excellent) Anfield Wrap podcast last Friday and one of presenters suspected that Mourinho would rely on height and athleticism to keep the ball out of their own half - hit it long to the big men Fellaini, Pogba or Ibra; longball it over Liverpool to stop our press. Basically a Super-Stoke approach. And that's exactly what happened. Mourinho's priority was to not lose, keep it tight, dominate the aerial balls, test Karius, and hope for a gift.

To be fair to Mou, his plan exploited Liverpool's weaknesses and his team executed it pretty well. They are not going to be leaking many goals this season. But it is also a boring, ambitionless waste of the massive resources Mourinho has to work with. His great skill has always been the ability to suck all the dynamism out of a match, and he fears losing above all else. He might very well get results this way - he might even win the league in the next couple seasons - but his Man Utd will always look plodding compared to teams managed by Pocchetino, Wenger, Guardiola, and Klopp.

Man Utd used to come out to these matches with a swashbuckling arrogance and try to blow teams away. Now they just look like 2004-era Chelsea.

Without playing terribily, Liverpool were sloppy and nervous today, and as usual struggled to break down a defensive opponent. Karius did not have a good match - Klopp's gamble on him is not paying off in the short term, and Mignolet might have to be brought back in. I don't like a lack of consistency in the keeper position. Can looked rusty, which is to be expected. Lallana was definitely missed. Liverpool finished stronger and had a couple really good chances - Can especially.

I was really hoping for a blood-and-thunder, back and forth derby match - even if Liverpool lost. But this was garbage.

Last edited:

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Mind-numbingly-predictable. Didn't believe the media hype, knew Mou would set up to not lose the match because of recent results and previous matches at Anfield.

Once you close up spaces that 'Pool normally run into, they have very little left in terms of plan B. Midfield isn't particularly creative and they aren't really a threat from set pieces. Keep their defensive half occupied and you isolate the front 4. Its also becoming obvious that Karius is not the answer...for now anyway.

Its laughable that Mou has spent £160m, yet he set up like Burnley. But thats classic Mou and he got his point.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Mourinho giving it the big one, claiming it was Liverpool's fault the game was so defensive and boring...it takes two to tango, I'll grant that, but really just a typical dig from Mourinho, i.e. "LOL, I just threw a wet blanket over your so-called attractive football and smothered you in your own house". Since when are Man Utd happy to cede possession to their opponents?

Laugh it up Jose. You just took several hundred million pounds' "worth" of elite footballers and made them play like relegation battlers. This ain't going to sell for two seasons, let alone your usual three-and-out.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Think I'm fighting off a virus, and as such was asleep before kick off.
Sounds like I had a lucky escape....
I guess Man City, Arsenal and Spurs were last nights winners.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Mind-numbingly-predictable. Didn't believe the media hype, knew Mou would set up to not lose the match because of recent results and previous matches at Anfield.

Once you close up spaces that 'Pool normally run into, they have very little left in terms of plan B. Midfield isn't particularly creative and they aren't really a threat from set pieces. Keep their defensive half occupied and you isolate the front 4. Its also becoming obvious that Karius is not the answer...for now anyway.

Its laughable that Mou has spent £160m, yet he set up like Burnley. But thats classic Mou and he got his point.

Klopp's midfield selection was dictated by necessity, Lallana not being ready for 90 minutes. But yes, with a rusty Can in the middle there was less movement. Too many tunrnovbers, especially inthe first half.

In the cold light of day though, Mourinho showed up with one of the most expensive teams ever to play the game, including the most expensive player, and failed to score a goal against a Liverpool side with a dodgy keeper who never manage a clean sheet.

If you'd won, you'd be top of the EPL table.

You could say that about every contender who isn't currently first place though, at least a tsome point this season.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Bravo Leicester! Nine points from three games. Some have criticized Ranieri for keeping his powder dry in the league and referencing the Champions League. So far it has paid off.
Leicester to win the Champions league? Wonder what odds you'd get?
Imagine the odds you'd have gotten at the start of last season for them to do the Premier and Champions league in the next two years? Billion to one?

Anyway long may their adventure continue.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Bravo Leicester! Nine points from three games. Some have criticized Ranieri for keeping his powder dry in the league and referencing the Champions League. So far it has paid off.

I suspect that Leicester know well that they will not win the Premiership again - or, - more realistically - come within a top four finish for quite a while.

Thus, quite rightly, they are taking - getting - and giving - everything they can to the Champions League, and why not?

Unlike Arsenal, for whom Champions League football is almost a guaranteed certainty, as it is something - that unlike almost every other team - Arsenal can guarantee that they will have a place in the following year (no team has quite had Mr Wenger's degree of success in that regard), for Leicester, this may all be a once off.

And, the very best of luck to them.

Mr Ranieri's task is to ensure that they stay in the Premiership, fairly comfortably. Anything more is a bonus, and, by focussing on the Champions League, the fans are on the receiving end of yet another sprinkling of stardust this year. Good for them.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Especially considering that they're in the, by far, most manageable group there is in the CL.

Yep. I think it would be foolish for them not to go all-out for the Champions League. They may not get another shot at this for decades. And who knows? With a bit of luck they could go far. A dream tie against Real, Barca, or Bayern is not out of the question.

EDIT: A day of big scorelines in the CL. Barca tear Pep a new one!

Last edited:

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Bravo continues to not paint himself in good colours. His actions cost his team the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.