Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Man City had a lot of chances though - now that I've seen some highlights it's clear that the scoreline was not a fair representation of the match. As weird as it may sound, I'd say Barca got a bit lucky.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Man City had a lot of chances though - now that I've seen some highlights it's clear that the scoreline was not a fair representation of the match. As weird as it may sound, I'd say Barca got a bit lucky.

I'd say that they got lucky as in the first goal was mainly due that one central defender (? no idea who that was - Otamendi) of MCI fell and Messi was still aware of the situation although it was actually "mentally" cleared already. Also lucky because of Bravo but in the end it could have been easily six goals for FCB while MCI would have been good when scored two themselves. Ter Stegen had a good day, but I refuse to call a good keeper "luck" for the team that owns him.

But I agree insofar as MCI played quite well overall, at least much better than 0:4 suggests, so taking into account that Pep just started to coach that team compared to a well grown FCB. Sterling played good, the others lacked some percentages over all compared to their counterparts - except Mathieu but I'll never understand why he plays for BCN.

Watched the whole match - was entertained. :D

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
But I agree insofar as MUC played quite well overall, at least much better than 0:4 suggests, so taking into account that Pep just started to coach that team compared to a well grown FCB.

Precisely. Barca deserved the win, but 4-0 exaggerates the performance. Once Pep has had a full season under his belt I expect we will see substantial improvements. But One wonders whether Bravo will be able to cut it in the long term.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Sorry, wrote MUC but it's MCI, isn't it? edited that
[doublepost=1476974018][/doublepost]
Precisely. Barca deserved the win, but 4-0 exaggerates the performance. Once Pep has had a full season under his belt I expect we will see substantial improvements. But One wonders whether Bravo will be able to cut it in the long term.

Well, Bravo played extremely well in the league for Barca so I somehow don't see why he wouldn't be up to the task at MCI. Ter Stegen is just waaay younger so I can understand why they let him go (it was him who wanted to leave, it wasn't Barca who booted him). Ter Steegen had a quite brilliant day, Barca got pressured extremely well by MCI and still could manage to outplay them so kudos for that, but he made a huge mistake in the league lately that cost them points so as usual the day to day form is equally important. Ter Steegen is undergoing still major mistakes every now and then, potential is big though.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Sorry, wrote MUC but it's MCI, isn't it? edited that
[doublepost=1476974018][/doublepost]

Well, Bravo played extremely well in the league for Barca so I somehow don't see why he wouldn't be up to the task at MCI.

He certainly should be good enough. But it might take him time to adapt.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
He certainly should be good enough. But it might take him time to adapt.

Agreed - he's in a new team/country so that is to some extent a no-brainer but he's got a lot of class so shouldn't take THAT long. Especially since he is in-depth familiar with the way Pep wants to play due his time at Barca. Also, they faced one of the best attacking teams - and in form at that - of the planet. No real shame in losing there. I didn't see his mishap though yesterday. Possible black-out? Happens to the best at times.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Also, they faced one of the best attacking teams - and in form at that - of the planet. No real shame in losing there.

Right. I don't rate any English team as even close to equal with Barca. The only teams that can go toe-to-toe with Barca and have a reasonable expectation of a result are Real, Bayern, and perhaps Atleti. Everyone else is a clear underdog.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Right. I don't rate any English team as even close to equal with Barca. The only teams that can go toe-to-toe with Barca and have a reasonable expectation of a result are Real, Bayern, and perhaps Atleti. Everyone else is a clear underdog.

Intersting. Right now Bayern isn't in good form. Under normal circumstances they shouldn't compete for the title (CL). A bit early to say of course but they have problems in CM with Xavi being too old and Sanchez being too young which is a biggie. Lahm got slow and Alaba is out of form for quite some time already. They have basically only one single striker so good for them if he stays fit.

As for english teams - I agree but would be interested in Arsenal. Özil FTW!!! :D

Not too long ago it was Chelsea that gave Barca a run for their money (along with Inter, you could say To some extent: Mou) so it'd be Atleti right now and by far imo. but it's a far road to the international top spots for all the english teams - for quite a while already that is.

So unless we see some huge surprises: should be one of the three Spanish clubs again to take the trophy.

Or Dortmund ;)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I agree that the Spanish clubs are probably the three strongest in Europe.

Arsenal always make a decent show but they never look like they'll actually beat Barca.

No, totally agree re Arsenal - and that goes not just against Barca but almost any of the top five. Just saying, they have a decent starting XI minus a good enough striker I'm interested in how they develop. But Özil...<3 :D

;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Arsenal top of the league, but only just. Liverpool win 2-1 over West Brom to go second - the scoreline is a little closer than it could have been had Liverpool's finishing been a bit better. I'm more annoyed about leaking the goal, it should have been a clean sheet.

Still, a win over a Tony Pulis side is rarely easy, so one cannot complain about the result.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Who's going to be up for it more?
I think a you'd settle for the draw.

Hm. If I were a true curmudgeon, I would deplore the fact that they both cannot lose.

But, I am not a true curmudgeon, only a mere dilettante - an apprentice - at the demanding art of being consistently curmudgeonly.

Now, I do not much care for Mr Abramovich, neither the man nor his methods attract me - but - I will admit that I detest the nihilistic negativity that Mr Mourinho brings to everything he touches.

Re Bravo, while he clearly didn't cover himself in glory last week, I am also not so sure that the English media are entirely objective when discussing him and his performances.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Manchester United down 2-0 to Chelsea at half time. Snigger.

While I do not care much for Mr Abramovich, as long as that nihilistically negative and narcissistic Portuguese gentleman is in charge at Manchester United, I will devoutly wish them hammered, or stuffed silly, by (virtually) each and every opponent.
[doublepost=1477240315][/doublepost]Crikey. It is now 4-0 to Chelsea.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Mourinho got his pants pulled down. Liverpool struggled with Man Utd's physicality, but Chelsea have a big, physical, dirty team and have no problem playing that game.

Big weekend for Liverpool; despite failing to take first place, the other teams near the top failed to win.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Mourinho got his pants pulled down. Liverpool struggled with Man Utd's physicality, but Chelsea have a big, physical, dirty team and have no problem playing that game.

Big weekend for Liverpool; despite failing to take first place, the other teams near the top failed to win.

Yes, a defeat of that magnitude can only be classed as something of a humiliation for Mr Mourinho. It seems to me that Chelsea felt that they had a point to prove, and prove it they did, in some style.

Reactions: JamesMike

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
United don't know their best team. That, and many of their players wouldn't get into other top squads. Spent 300m in 2 years, and the squad still looks like it needs to be rebuilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.