Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
Right. I don't rate any English team as even close to equal with Barca. The only teams that can go toe-to-toe with Barca and have a reasonable expectation of a result are Real, Bayern, and perhaps Atleti. Everyone else is a clear underdog.

No longer true. Machester City 3 - 1 Barcelona. What a game!

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Barca, Bayern, Real all vulnerable. Most teams just pay them too much respect. Athleti is the real team to beat, gritty from the back to the front.

Reactions: JamesMike

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Phoebe watching Ozill score goal of the season...

50637c0102d5317dbd133e82f7d49218.jpg

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
No longer true. Machester City 3 - 1 Barcelona. What a game!

Well, it's only on one win for Man City versus a decade of previous dominance by Barca, but fair play to City - Pep has got them to believe.

Guardiola may be able to finally give the Sheik-era Man City something they've always lacked - real cohesion and a team mentality.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Fenerbace with two stunning goals to beat Man Utd in the Europa League; Sow's (possibly shinned) bicycle kick was a thunderbolt from the blue just two minutes in, and Man Utd looked stunned for the rest of the match. Rooney did score a fine consolation goal, but he and Ibrahimovic looked so slow and got in each others' way. Why didn't Mou just let Rashford run at the Fenerbace defense? Was it because Rooney and Ibra had to be on the pitch?

Man Utd have spent enormous sums of money in the Post-Ferg era, but the pieces just don't seem to fit together.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Fenerbace with two stunning goals to beat Man Utd in the Europa League; Sow's (possibly shinned) bicycle kick was a thunderbolt from the blue just two minutes in, and Man Utd looked stunned for the rest of the match. Rooney did score a fine consolation goal, but he and Ibrahimovic looked so slow and got in each others' way. Why didn't Mou just let Rashford run at the Fenerbace defense? Was it because Rooney and Ibra had to be on the pitch?

Man Utd have spent enormous sums of money in the Post-Ferg era, but the pieces just don't seem to fit together.

That was a brillant bicycle goal against my Man U team. Kudos to Fenerbace. I wonder what stupid thing M will have to say.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Tottenham haven't lost a game all season. Well, come Saturday morning, we'll change that! Roll on Sunday...

Last edited by a moderator:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Chelsea went score happy on Everton, 5-0! I felt sorry for Everton.

Yes, that was a demolition job, wasn't it?

Still, if I were Mr Conte, I'd be chuckling quietly to myself: The contrast between Chelsea this year - with firstly, Chelsea at around this very time last year, and secondly, with Manchester United just now is quite striking. And rather telling.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
Breaking News:::

Football superstar Falcao returns to the Colombian national team since 2014! when he qualified Colombia to the World Cup 2014 but he was sidelined by a knee injury just weeks before the world cup started :( Fast foward 2 yrs and he is back on the Colombia national team plus he is regaining his form, the Colombian media is having a frenzy with his return.

radamel-falcao-monaco-falcao_3757551.jpg

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Breaking News:::

Football superstar Falcao returns to the Colombian national team since 2014! when he qualified Colombia to the World Cup 2014 but he was sidelined by a knee injury just weeks before the world cup started :( Fast foward 2 yrs and he is back on the Colombia national team plus he is regaining his form, the Colombian media is having a frenzy with his return.

View attachment 670512

I got a few emails from my Colombian friends, they are very happy he is back.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Very well written - and argued - piece by Owen Gibson entitled "The London Stadium: An unloved venue resulting from expensive mistakes" in yesterday's Guardian (about the Olympic Stadium that is currently home to West Ham) is well worth looking at.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Very well written - and argued - piece by Owen Gibson entitled "The London Stadium: An unloved venue resulting from expensive mistakes" in yesterday's Guardian (about the Olympic Stadium that is currently home to West Ham) is well worth looking at.
The issue with the Stadium as I see it was a lack of planning when it was built.
We all knew it was going to end up being a football stadium, so why didn't the planners? What else were they going to do with it?
I think our form has as much to do with the team as the Staduim. New players not bedding in, lots of injuries and players not coming back from the summer in the same vein of form as last year.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The issue with the Stadium as I see it was a lack of planning when it was built.
We all knew it was going to end up being a football stadium, so why didn't the planners? What else were they going to do with it?
I think our form has as much to do with the team as the Staduim. New players not bedding in, lots of injuries and players not coming back from the summer in the same vein of form as last year.

Oh, yes, agreed, but take a look at the article - it is damning - and it makes some very good points, including some of the ones you have made - and more.

As usual, there are several culprits - planners, Olympic requirements, greed of football clubs (Karren Brady gets a mention), politicians (our friend, the former Mayor of London, currently serving as Foreign Secretary), bureaucrats; it is a most interesting and well written piece, and worth thinking about.

Anyway, I recommend that you read it, as you are a West Ham fan; indeed, I think everyone should take a look at it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Oh, yes, agreed, but take a look at the article - it is damning - and it makes some very good points, including some of the ones you have made - and more.

As usual, there are several culprits - planners, Olympic requirements, greed of football clubs (Karren Brady gets a mention), politicians (our friend, the former Mayor of London, currently serving as Foreign Secretary), bureaucrats; it is a most interesting and well written piece, and worth thinking about.

Anyway, I recommend that you read it, as you are a West Ham fan; indeed, I think everyone should take a look at it.
It was an interesting read. For anybody interested it can be found here https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2016/nov/05/xxxx?client=safari

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A draw seems a fair result between Arsenal and Spurs, - one that - with hindsight - both teams will probably rest content with. Spurs deserved their point, and Arsenal didn't really deserve all three.

Meanwhile, Liverpool are destroying - nay, massacring - Watford. Currently, the score reads five-nil.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Slightly annoying to see Liverpool fail to keep a clean sheet yet again, but it's very hard to argue with a 6-1 score. As long as Liverpool keep scoring at their current rate, Klopp will be mounting credible title challenge.

Man Utd finally get a win, albeit against a hapless Swansea. Paul Pogba actually scored a goal as well. Mourinho was quite fortunate to be banned for such an easy match, rather than one against a club in the top 10. Today it was possible to win on autopilot.

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Frustrated that the Arsenal fans were not singing and shouting the ENTIRE match. In addition, the players needed a push, they didn't seem to have it within themselves.

Also, I felt that Sanchez was almost trying too hard. Lastly, why did we bring on The Ox? Total off his game. We should have left Iwobi on, taken Walcott off, and placed Sanchez in his position, then Giroud up front.

Of course, these are just my opinions. Come May 2017, we could be saying we needed those 2 points to win the league. Ugh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.