Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Frustrated that the Arsenal fans were not singing and shouting the ENTIRE match. In addition, the players needed a push, they didn't seem to have it within themselves.

Also, I felt that Sanchez was almost trying too hard. Lastly, why did we bring on The Ox? Total off his game. We should have left Iwobi on, taken Walcott off, and placed Sanchez in his position, then Giroud up front.

Of course, these are just my opinions. Come May 2017, we could be saying we needed those 2 points to win the league. Ugh...

Yes, I see what you are saying - but, but, but - Spurs are not an easy team to beat.

Their record to date - unbeaten in the League this season so far, the only team in the Premiership to be able to boast that distinction - tells its own tale.

Last edited:
Reactions: circatee

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I really did think that Arsenal would have been able to do better than that at home against Spurs.

While unbeaten, Spurs are drawing too many games at the moment. Good defending will keep you in the hunt, but you need goals to win trophies (or the "top four" trophy). Perhaps now that Kane is back the goals will come again, but they seem over-reliant on him. Janssen wasn't able to fill his shoes in his absence, and the squad is not exactly rich with striking talent.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I really did think that Arsenal would have been able to do better than that at home against Spurs.

While unbeaten, Spurs are drawing too many games at the moment. Good defending will keep you in the hunt, but you need goals to win trophies (or the "top four" trophy). Perhaps now that Kane is back the goals will come again, but they seem over-reliant on him. Janssen wasn't able to fill his shoes in his absence, and the squad is not exactly rich with striking talent.

I think they had their chance last season, and were unable to capitalise on it. Agreed, they are drawing too many matches if they want be in the running for trophies or remunerative positions by season's end.

Nevertheless, their defence is excellent, and while I would be surprised to see them finish in the top four, I think they will prove very very hard to beat.

Mind you, Arsenal didn't put away their chances.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Frustrated that the Arsenal fans were not singing and shouting the ENTIRE match. In addition, the players needed a push, they didn't seem to have it within themselves.

Also, I felt that Sanchez was almost trying too hard. Lastly, why did we bring on The Ox? Total off his game. We should have left Iwobi on, taken Walcott off, and placed Sanchez in his position, then Giroud up front.

Of course, these are just my opinions. Come May 2017, we could be saying we needed those 2 points to win the league. Ugh...

Iwobi was getting 'leggy', he needs a rest. And of course Walcott couldn't last 90 minutes due to recent injury. Wenger had no choice but to make the subs he made. Its another game where Ox should've delivered but didn't. The absence of Cazorla was telling again...he's the one who links their defence with attack with his passing.

Game could've gone either way but i felt Spurs got lucky. The pen was one of the softest i've seen this season. And Wanyama would've been sent off by any european referee

Arsenal were jittery and never really 'settled' into their rhythm.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
EXACTLY. Ozil had one of the best chances of the game, and should have buried it.
I still believe wholeheartedly that the home supporters need to chant more and really get behind the team for the entire game, and not when we're simply on the attack...

Now, can Tottenham do what the Arsenal Invincible's did? That is the question... ;)

I think they had their chance last season, and were unable to capitalise on it. Agreed, they are drawing too many matches if they want be in the running for trophies or remunerative positions by season's end.

Nevertheless, their defence is excellent, and while I would be surprised to see them finish in the top four, I think they will prove very very hard to beat.

Mind you, Arsenal didn't put away their chances.
[doublepost=1478548371][/doublepost]Give credit where credit is due, you are flipping spot on!
Santi is seriously missed, and Iwobi certainly needs a rest. I just felt he showed more heart than The Ox did. Ox complains about not getting chances, etc. but for big games like this, he simply needs to turn up. For games against the likes of Ludogorets, well...

Iwobi was getting 'leggy', he needs a rest. And of course Walcott couldn't last 90 minutes due to recent injury. Wenger had no choice but to make the subs he made. Its another game where Ox should've delivered but didn't. The absence of Cazorla was telling again...he's the one who links their defence with attack with his passing.

Game could've gone either way but i felt Spurs got lucky. The pen was one of the softest i've seen this season. And Wanyama would've been sent off by any european referee

Arsenal were jittery and never really 'settled' into their rhythm.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
EXACTLY. Ozil had one of the best chances of the game, and should have buried it.
I still believe wholeheartedly that the home supporters need to chant more and really get behind the team for the entire game, and not when we're simply on the attack...

Now, can Tottenham do what the Arsenal Invincible's did? That is the question... ;)

They might manage to do what the 'Invincibles' did and remain unbeaten all season, but - unlike the Invincibles - they will not win the League, because they are not able to win matches and score goals.

Yes, perhaps the penalty was soft, but it shouldn't have mattered: Arsenal should have put away their chances before the penalty was ever even awarded.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I still blame Liverpool's failure to win the title in 2008-2009 on two draws against Stoke. Yes, Liverpool also lost twice that season, but the Stoke matches hurt the most - Pulis was in peak form back then, roving the country with his big men and destroying football wherever he went. Both matches were horrible 0-0 draws where Stoke simply set up to prevent Liverpool from scoring and hoped for a scrappy goal from a Rory Delap long throw.

Those are the kinds of matches you need to win to take the title. Liverpool had a superior goal difference to Man Utd that season - had those draws against Stoke been wins, Liverpool would have won the league on goal difference.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As a West Ham fan it's a great deal for us.

As a British tax payer, not so much!

Indeed, but precisely because they pulled off such a cushy number, vis.a.vis the British taxpayer, there will be a lot less tolerance of the ugly stuff (e.g, the conduct of some of the West Ham fans which has been a nasty little narrative since the move) and somewhat greater scrutiny of other features of how the club is run.

Reactions: JamesMike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Indeed, but precisely because they pulled off such a cushy number, vis.a.vis the British taxpayer, there will be a lot less tolerance of the ugly stuff (e.g, the conduct of some of the West Ham fans which has been a nasty little narrative since the move) and somewhat greater scrutiny of other features of how the club is run.

This story may run for years and years, with unforeseeable consequences.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I didn't see the match, but wasn't it essentially England B+ versus Spain B? I suppose you8 could probably chalk down England's collapse at least partially to the usual flurry of subs you see in friendlies. But England should have won that...leading 2-0 in the 89th? Hmmm. Lallana hurt, but apparently it's not serious. I hope that is so, Liverpool have the chance to rack up some serious points over the next month.

As for USA - Karma. We have chosen to become an isolationist, xenophobic nation now, so missing out on the World Cup simply reinforces that. I don't care if we lose every match we play over the next four years. Hopefully all the good American players flee this ******** of a country and play in Europe till the Dark Times are over.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
MOD NOTE: Let's keep the politics in PRSI.

B

While it might be a good idea to try to keep politics - per se - in PRSI, there are some areas where it is impossible to ignore issues of power and politics in football, especially if one is to understand the wider context of the environment within which football operates.

And I am not just referring to the projection of national identity (and aspirations) onto national football teams during international competitions, either.

Likewise, on cannot ignore issues of financial power, and the fact that many clubs are now global brands with everything that entails.

Moreover, matters such as media rights - with the whole idea of pay-per-view, the increasing power of Sky and the influence wielded by individuals such as Mr Murdoch - further issues such as broadcasting rights, are all stuff that inform how football is viewed, marketed, consumed and who and what gets to see it.

And - as for wider ('political') discussions I don't think that any serious discussion of football can overlook power structures; changes in the Premiership in recent decades have drastically altered the model of ownership of clubs, which in turn has transformed budgets, global brand reach, and ethos.

Then, there is also the small matter of the manner in which decisions regarding who - or what country - should host the World Cup have been taken in recent years; if that isn't political - yet relevant to any discussion about football - I don;t know what is.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
While it might be a good idea to try to keep politics - per se - in PRSI, there are some areas where it is impossible to ignore issues of power and politics in football, especially if one is to understand the wider context of the environment within which football operates.

And I am not just referring to the projection of national identity (and aspirations) onto national football teams during international competitions, either.

Likewise, on cannot ignore issues of financial power, and the fact that many clubs are now global brands with everything that entails.

Moreover, matters such as media rights - with the whole idea of pay-per-view, the increasing power of Sky and the influence wielded by individuals such as Mr Murdoch - further issues such as broadcasting rights, are all stuff that inform how football is viewed, marketed, consumed and who and what gets to see it.

And - as for wider ('political') discussions I don't think that any serious discussion of football can overlook power structures; changes in the Premiership in recent decades have drastically altered the model of ownership of clubs, which in turn has transformed budgets, global brand reach, and ethos.

Then, there is also the small matter of the manner in which decisions regarding who - or what country - should host the World Cup have been taken in recent years; if that isn't political - yet relevant to any discussion about football - I don;t know what is.
Who gets the World Cup is decided by the size of your big brown envelope isn't it?

The fact that we haven't had a World Cup in my lifetime in this country is a travesty in my opinion. It's not like we don't have the stadium and organisational skills (just look at the Olympics).

Anyway it least the fact we haven't won it since 66 lets me say West Ham won the World Cup, West Ham won the World Cup!

Sadly we have Spurs this weekend and I'm not feeling very confident. I'd have preferred Kane to not be fit.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thank goodness the Premier League is back. These international breaks are annoying. We, Arsenal, need to simply batter Mourinho, today...

Yep.

While I may be a somewhat desultory Arsenal supporter at times, I have long admired Mr Wenger, and I cannot abide Mr Mourinho.

Well, yes, 'batter' is a useful verb, though I am not entirely sure that it is what Arsenal are capable of, as it doesn't seem to reflect their character of erratic elegance.

So, a surgical demolition, I'll happily settle for, instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.