Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Candidly, it is doubtful that West Ham would have held this resurgent and newly confident United to a draw, let alone defeated them. Six weeks ago, maybe. Not now.
Hard to say. I think the fact that it took them 63 minutes to score against a 10 man side speaks volumes.
2nd goal was offside to according to what I read.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hard to say. I think the fact that it took them 63 minutes to score against a 10 man side speaks volumes.
2nd goal was offside to according to what I read.

The red card was certainly dubious, but - for now - Manchester United - according to the Guardian - still look 'like a team that is gathering see genuine momentum', and that is the sense I have of them, too.

However,, if something happens to Zlatan Ibrahimovic, - such as injury - that may well change.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The red card was certainly dubious, but - for now - Manchester United - according to the Guardian - still look 'like a team that is gathering see genuine momentum', and that is the sense I have of them, too.

However,, if something happens to Zlatan Ibrahimovic, - such as injury - that may well change.
Given his age I don't think he'll stay fit all season. Just wish I hadn't sold him in my fantasy football team earlier this season :(. Now I can't afford him.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Given his age I don't think he'll stay fit all season. Just wish I hadn't sold him in my fantasy football team earlier this season :(. Now I can't afford him.

While I have no doubt he will stay "fit" - he still seems 'hungry' - and is clearly enjoying himself hugely at the moment - injury, or the need to give him some sort of a break, may yet have some sort of effect.

But, yes, an inspired acquisition for Manchester United.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Watching the Bournemoth/Arsenal match now, did not expect Bournemoth to lead 2-0 in the 30 minute of the match.

Ouch.

Arsenal: You complete cretins.

It is now half time and the Guardian blog report reads: "The Arsenal fans present boo as their players slink off". I like that verb. Slink. They should slink, too. (And well played to Bournemouth, who are serious opponents worthy of respect).

For now, I hope Mr Wenger has toasted player as his half time snack.

When I had last glanced that way, early enough in the first half, the score had read a safe, if boring 0-0, and I had shrugged, allowing my mind to wander and think about sushi instead.....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Damn you, Arsenal. Don't do that to me.

Cardiac arrest time, going 3-0 down, crawling and hauling your way back into the game, and extracting an equaliser in extra time.

Stunning game, 3-3, and full credit to Bournemouth.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Damn you, Arsenal. Don't do that to me.

Cardiac arrest time, going 3-0 down, crawling back into the game, and extracting an equaliser in extra time.

Stunning game, 3-3, and full credit to Bournemouth.
Sounds like a thriller. Feel a bit sorry for Bournemouth after being 3 up. Oh well. I'm sure they'd have taken the draw before kick off.
Meanwhile 10 points between the top 6 is tighter than normal at this stage. Could really do with Chelski loosing their game in hand. Don't need them pulling away anymore.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sounds like a thriller. Feel a bit sorry for Bournemouth after being 3 up. Oh well. I'm sure they'd have taken the draw before kick off.
Meanwhile 10 points between the top 6 is tighter than normal at this stage. Could really do with Chelski loosing their game in hand. Don't need them pulling away anymore.

Match reports suggested that Bournemouth would have been more than happy with a draw before the match, but, by the end, they were 'dejected'.

Often, after a drawn match, one team has psychologically 'won' while the other one has psychologically 'lost'. Bournemouth - 3-0 up well into the middle of the second half - should probably have won the game.

While it is a testament to Arsenal that they managed to come back (they are an excellent team, after all), - and they did show serious fighting spirit in the second half - they should never have fallen behind by so much - three down! - in the first place.

Not only that, this is not last season when all of the top clubs inexplicably screwed up at the same time, while Leicester kept their heads and played solidly all season, making history in the process. This season, things are a bit different.

Now, all of the tops clubs are finally finding a degree of confidence and consistency at much the same time - your observation about distance between the top six being very tight is spot on - thus, in order to stay apace of this leading pack, this - that is, now - is not the right time to drop points.

Arsenal were lucky to get the draw; but - as all of the other top teams are winning, they need to keep winning simply to remain in the same spot. This is a relief, - to have clawed back the draw - but still not good enough.

All credit to Bournemouth who fought like lions and would have deserved the win.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Watching the Spurs/Chelsea match now.

How's it going. Need a Spurs win to stop Chelsea running away with it.

Spurs leading 1-0 at half time.

Fascinating.

The second half should prove interesting: While we can expect Chelsea to attack - and they excel at this, a stylish, smooth gifted team, capable of attacking with flair, precision and ambition, Spurs have a superb defence.

Actually, they tie with Chelsea for the fewest number of goals conceded in the Premiership thus far, this season.
[doublepost=1483564633][/doublepost]And it is now two-nil to Spurs.

Snigger.

Much though I respect Mr Conte - and I do - it would be nice to see Chelsea stumble just a little en route to their presumed - inevitable - coronation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.