Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
Some interesting results: Liverpool defeated by Swansea by three goals to two, and - not for the first time - a generous period of stoppage time (five minutes) allows Manchester United to claw back a goal enabling them to share the points with Stoke..
I don't think there should be any complaints about the 5 minutes of stoppage time. There were 6 substitutions in the 2nd half to factor in..

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another impressive West Ham win. No offence intended but yes it was only Boro, but looks like things might be better without a certain want away premadonna.

Only issue was both Noble and Carroll came off injured. Hopefully nothing serious.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And an extraordinary match between Manchester City and Spurs has just ended in a draw.

So, of the top six teams today, Liverpool were defeated, Spurs and Manchester City drew, as did Manchester United.

If Chelsea win, they can put even more clear blue light between themselves and their pursuers, - they are already ahead of Spurs by six points - while a win for Arsenal would allow them to leapfrog into second place.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
wow!

ARSE vs BURN...

Had to root for the Gooners because my youngest is a Goon.

pachyderm Family Footy Breakdown Chart:

Sheffield Wednesday - Me, 20 yr old, 19 yr old
Tottenham -20 yr old, 19 yr old, and me
Man U - 23 yr old
Arsenal - 15 yr old
Real Madrid - 23 yr old
Athletic Club - 20 yr old, 19 yr old, and me
Dortmund - all of us
Napoli - Me
Roma - 19 yr old
Columbus Crew - 20 yr old, 19 yr old, and me
LA Galaxy - 15 yr old
Chicago Fire - 23 yr old

It's complicated to say the least but a ton of cool footy stuff every Christmas and most birthdays ;)

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A victory for Arsenal (2-1) against Burnley - in a match which ended in high drama (two penalties in extra time, one to each team), has left Arsenal lying second in the table.

Meanwhile, Chelsea face Hull, which - in theory - should be an easy win for them.

However, from now on, occasionally, some of the teams inhabiting the relegation zone - and staring into the abyss which represents the dawning recognition of the possibility of actual relegation, might get a burst of creative footballing energy of the sort necessary to destroy - or, at least neutralise - those who sit safely at the top of the Premiership.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So, Chelsea easily enough dismantle Hull, enabling them to put some clear blue (Chelsea coloured) water - in the form of eight points - between them and their immediate pursuers in the Premiership.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sadly yes. Need them to drop points to keep things interesting.

Yes, they will have to lose a few matches for the others to be able to challenge or threaten them for the top spot; all Chelsea have to do is keep that winning habit up for another while.

For now, eight points is a comfortable cushion, because it means that they will have to lose three matches - and the others put together several victories in sequence - to be any sort of a serious threat to them.

Interesting too, what this says about Mr Mourinho and how he ran Chelsea last year; in essence, the players almost went on strike, and made it perfectly clear - by their conduct on the pitch - that they were not prepared to play their best for him, and that they felt little - if any - loyalty to him.

That they - pretty much the same team as last year, with a few interesting additions - are performing so impressively for Mr Conte at the moment, is very telling.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yes, they will have to lose a few matches for the others to be able to challenge or threaten them for the top spot; all Chelsea have to do is keep that winning habit up for another while.

For now, eight points is a comfortable cushion, because it means that they will have to lose three matches - and the others put together several victories in sequence - to be any sort of a serious threat to them.

Interesting too, what this says about Mr Mourinho and how he ran Chelsea last year; in essence, the players almost went on strike, and made it perfectly clear - by their conduct on the pitch - that they were not prepared to play their best for him, and that they felt little - if any - loyalty to him.

That they - pretty much the same team as last year, with a few interesting additions - are performing so impressively for Mr Conte at the moment, is very telling.
Yes it is quite the transformation. Isn't it funny how one manager can get the best out of a team where as another can't.
Same as some managers have a reputation for getting teams into the Premiership or avoiding relegation.

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
Sadly the behavior of the players also shows how much of the power rests with them. They are professional players who get played a lot in wages every week and to not give your 100% while on the pitch should not be acceptable.

It would have been very difficult for me to see my team not show up for almost an entire season and then play well enough to win the championship the next season, all to sort of settle a personal score with my manager.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sadly the behavior of the players also shows how much of the power rests with them. They are professional players who get played a lot in wages every week and to not give your 100% while on the pitch should not be acceptable.

It would have been very difficult for me to see my team not show up for almost an entire season and then play well enough to win the championship the next season, all to sort of settle a personal score with my manager.

In the case of Chelsea, it was, I suspect, a bit more than that; the players were showing support for the team doctor, who had been treated absolutely disgracefully (and unprofessionally) by Mr Mourinho.

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
In the case of Chelsea, it was, I suspect, a bit more than that; the players were showing support for the team doctor, who had been treated absolutely disgracefully (and unprofessionally) by Mr Mourinho.

While I understand that Mourinho was wrong in how he handled the Eva issue, it still does not justify the unprofessionalism shown by the players.

I like how when Mou got the United job, the case was brushed under the carpet - either United paid up or had Mou pay up or both. I think the Chelsea management handled the case poorly.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While I understand that Mourinho was wrong in how he handled the Eva issue, it still does not justify the unprofessionalism shown by the players.

I like how when Mou got the United job, the case was brushed under the carpet - either United paid up or had Mou pay up or both. I think the Chelsea management handled the case poorly.

It was extremely wrong, given that he publicly questioned her professionalism - and judgment - after all, the referee had summoned her - as a medical doctor, and publicly insulted her in sexist terms. In truth, neither Mr Mourinho - nor Chelsea - came out of the affair with much credit.

His conduct lost him the dressing room - it is clear that Dr Carniero seems to have had the respect of the players - and no manager can continue once they have lost the respect of the players.

More to the point, it also highlighted - yet again - the bizarre and increasingly condensed trajectory, or arc, of Mr Mourinho's tenure in any club that has employed him in recent years.

Initially, things went pear-shaped in his third year; in more recent times, cracks, and fissures have appeared as early as the second year. It will be interesting to see if this pattern is replicated at Manchester United.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
And an extraordinary match between Manchester City and Spurs has just ended in a draw.

So, of the top six teams today, Liverpool were defeated, Spurs and Manchester City drew, as did Manchester United.

If Chelsea win, they can put even more clear blue light between themselves and their pursuers, - they are already ahead of Spurs by six points - while a win for Arsenal would allow them to leapfrog into second place.

In the short term, an unmitigated disaster for Liverpool - moderated by the fact that all the teams around them drew except Chelsea. So things are pretty much as they were last week - Chelsea keep steamrolling the league, everybody else falls a little further behind.

Chelsea have an easy path to the title. If they don't win it, you can call it a "choke".

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In the short term, an unmitigated disaster for Liverpool - moderated by the fact that all the teams around them drew except Chelsea. So things are pretty much as they were last week - Chelsea keep steamrolling the league, everybody else falls a little further behind.

Chelsea have an easy path to the title. If they don't win it, you can call it a "choke".

Well, Arsenal won, as well - a later match - but yes, Chelsea will have to have a series of defeats - or go through a sustained poor patch - for anyone else to look as though they are capable of mounting a serious challenge.

The thing is, most of the other teams are stuttering - losing, dropping points in draws - every few matches, while Chelsea are barely breaking stride. As long as Chelsea can sustain this, - or build a sufficient cushion to insulate them - nobody will be able to catch them in time.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Having one team pull away from all the others so early in the season is never a good thing no matter what the sport.

Unless of course it's your team! But being a West Ham fan I'm yet to experience that!

Reactions: twietee

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
At this stage, it is increasingly beginning to look as though it is Chelsea's to lose. Their (underlying) statistics are actually very impressive.

It was shaping up to be a tight title race, but now it's looking increasing like a one-horse affair. My big hope would be to see both Manchester clubs finish 5th & 6th - that would be hilarious. Pep & Jose in 5th and 6th!

It could happen.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It was shaping up to be a tight title race, but now it's looking increasing like a one-horse affair. My big hope would be to see both Manchester clubs finish 5th & 6th - that would be hilarious. Pep & Jose in 5th and 6th!

It could happen.

Indeed, it could. And yes, agreed, that would be quite funny.

Last summer, when Leicester were pleaded with not to - or to try not to - allow their title winning squad be dismantled, most attention was focussed on Riyad Mahrez and Jamie Vardy, and whether the club would sell them.

That coverage over-looked that they did, in fact, allow the man who was possibly their most important player to depart.

This was the formidable N'Golo Kante, who has turned out to have been a superb buy for Chelsea, even as he was for Leicester.

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
PSG who? Monaco is dominating the french league. With PSG's downward spiral that shows that they were a 1 man show with zlatan. with his advanced age and soon to retire, the french league is going thru a change and Monaco is that change. With World-class players like Falcao back in form and scoring goals, this makes Monaco unstoppable. This should make this years Champions League interesting to see.

minifalcao.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Indeed, it could. And yes, agreed, that would be quite funny.

Last summer, when Leicester were pleaded with not to - or to try not to - allow their title winning squad be dismantled, most attention was focussed on Riyad Mahrez and Jamie Vardy, and whether the club would sell them.

That coverage over-looked that they did, in fact, allow the man who was possibly their most important player to depart.

This was the formidable N'Golo Kante, who has turned out to have been a superb buy for Chelsea, even as he was for Leicester.

It's a shame about Leicester - and midfielders like Kante who dictate tempo or function as destroyers are often seriously under-valued.

Columbus used to have a midfielder named Brian Caroll; he didn't shoot much, wasn't fast or a dribbler and he rarely indulged in big flying tackles. But he had great game intelligence, was a very accurate passer, rarely gave the ball away, and was outstanding at dictating the tempo and possession in midfield. After we lost him to Philly in an expansion draft our midfield looked a lot more disjointed, the defense came under more pressure during matches and attacking players were starved of his straightforward but reliable passes to start attacking moves. I really noticed his absence after he left.

PSG who? Monaco is dominating the french league. With PSG's downward spiral that shows that they were a 1 man show with zlatan. with his advanced age and soon to retire, the french league is going thru a change and Monaco is that change. With World-class players like Falcao back in form and scoring goals, this makes Monaco unstoppable. This should make this years Champions League interesting to see.

Falcao is 30 and very injury-prone, but at the moment he seems healthy and PSG do seem to be suffering a big post-Zlatan hangover. PSG and Monaco have a lot of money, but football is increasingly being crowded with billionaire clubs so they are up against stiff competition for playing talent.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
Monaco makes it to the final of the French League Cup against PSG, Falcao scored a sneaky header due to the goalkeepers error. Falcao's goal was the only goal made in that match, Its been said, if you are doing good in January then you will do good in Champions League which starts in February :) #ElTigreIsBack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.