Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Snodgrass is a done deal. £7.5 million rising to £10 million depending on various bits and bobs. I think he is a good squad player for that sort of price.

Currently watching Derby v Leicester. Derby are 2-1 up. Good game for a Friday night.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
hmmp. cool.

Personally, I love books where culture - especially political culture (and history) - is - are - analysed from oblique angles. They can be extraordinarily instructive - and very interesting, and give great off-beat examples with which to illustrate a wider political or cultural point, or historical perspective.

Anyway, I found them very useful as a way of connecting with sports-mad male students in my teaching days, when a 'hook' of football often made politics or history more palatable (and the students were always so gratifyingly impressed that I, a bespectacled bookish female actually knew about some of this stuff).

This often also had the additional - and, equally gratifying - effect of getting them more interested in politics (or history) as they now had examples which helped them "get it". Teaching my courses on communism, and other stuff, - and using occasional examples from the football world to illustrate a point - invariably worked, and guaranteed a rapt audience.

For what it is worth, I loved Simon Kuper's "Football Against the Enemy", for example, which won the William Hill sportswriting award the year after Nick Hornby had won it for "Fever Pitch" (which was excellent).

"Angels With Dirty Faces" got terrific reviews, and seems to have been meticulously researched - it is packed with interviews of legends who are now venerable old men, and does a good job of tying together the political, social, cultural stuff into the football story.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Personally, I love books where culture - especially political culture (and history) - is - are - analysed from oblique angles. They can be extraordinarily instructive - and very interesting, and give great off-beat examples with which to illustrate a wider political or cultural point, or historical perspective.

Anyway, I found them very useful as a way of connecting with sports-mad male students in my teaching days, when a 'hook' of football often made politics or history more palatable (and the students were always so gratifyingly impressed that I, a bespectacled bookish female actually knew about some of this stuff).

This often also had the additional - and, equally gratifying - effect of getting them more interested in politics (or history) as they now had examples which helped them "get it". Teaching my courses on communism, and other stuff, - and using occasional examples form the football world to illustrate a point - invariably worked, and guaranteed a rapt audience.

For what it is worth, I loved Simon Kuper's "Football Against the Enemy", for example, which won the William Hill sportswriting award the year after Nick Hornby had won it for "Fever Pitch" (which was excellent).

"Angels With Dirty Faces" got terrific reviews, and seems to have been meticulously researched - it is packed with interviews of legends who are now venerable old men, and does a good job of tying together the political, social, cultural stuff into the football story.
Iphone-3580.thumb.jpg.2c15e566df3088bc1d3f5f96f3be46cf.jpg

got it, but not read it yet...
[doublepost=1485622678][/doublepost]SPURS!!

I do like Wycombe's badge though...

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Boys were up for it. Good strength in depth. 10 changes, 5 goals, clean sheet.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Yes I can't quite see it as a good deal for them. But it's like the Payet situation with us. If a player says he wants to leave, you can't make him play for you. And if you did what commitment will he show on the pitch.

It's a disaster for Hull, and a mirror image of the Payet situation for West Ham Fans. Without Snodgrass, Hull's already slim chance at staying up gets a lot slimmer.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It's a disaster for Hull, and a mirror image of the Payet situation for West Ham Fans. Without Snodgrass, Hull's already slim chance at staying up gets a lot slimmer.
As shown today as they exited the FA cup. It's the small fee they let him go for that confused me. Unless his contract was coming to an end.

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Currently reading a fascinating book - in fact, I am dipping in and out of it, devouring several sections, or chapters at a time - this is a doorstopper - called "Angels With Dirty Faces - The Footballing History Of Argentina" by Jonathan Wilson.

I will have to check it out.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I hear Payet had to return his January wages to gorse through his move. Glad it cost him half a million.
Time to move on. Hope the team come together along with the new signings and push on to keep us in the top half.

Reactions: JamesMike

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I hope the Allegri rumours are true, we can't continue like this. Its no longer funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.