Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hm.

Two points separate the team placed second, Spurs, and sixth, Manchester United.

Meanwhile, at the top, Chelsea have a comfortable cushion of nine points, which they may have the opportunity of extending still farther against Burnley later this afternoon, while Manchester City, currently lying fifth, can leapfrog over some other teams and land in second place - or, at the very least, climb a few places - if all goes well against Bournemouth later this evening. Indeed, even if they clam a draw, they will still climb a few places.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hm.

Two points separate the team placed second, Spurs, and sixth, Manchester United.

Meanwhile, at the top, Chelsea have a comfortable cushion of nine points, which they may have the opportunity of extending still farther against Burnley later this afternoon, while Manchester City, currently lying fifth, can leapfrog over some other teams and land in second place - or, at the very least, climb a few places - if all goes well against Bournemouth later this evening. Indeed, even if they clam a draw, they will still climb a few places.
Yes take Chelsea out of the equation and the top of the league would be interesting. As it is we all know it's only second, third and fourth that are up for grabs.
I can only that nine point lead becoming twelve by tonight (no offence to Burnley).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes take Chelsea out of the equation and the top of the league would be interesting. As it is we all know it's only second, third and fourth that are up for grabs.
I can only that nine point lead becoming twelve by tonight (no offence to Burnley).

Well, I think Chelsea will have extended their position at the top by this evening. Even a draw would love them ten points clear, and yes, I agree with you, as I can't really see Burnley beating them.

Now, if Manchester City do manage to defeat Bournemouth, they can leap to second place. But that is still a long way behind Chelsea.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, I think Chelsea will have extended their position at the top by this evening. Even a draw would love them ten points clear, and yes, I agree with you, as I can't really see Burnley beating them.

Now, if Manchester City do manage to defeat Bournemouth, they can leap to second place. But that is still a long way behind Chelsea.
Well Burnley are giving it a go!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good grief.

Leicester City - everyone's favourite "second team" last year, are really making heavy weather of - one can't even say 'defending the title' - because they are not remotely serious about defending it - but, we can argue that they are making heavy weather of securing their place in the Premiership.

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Good grief.

Leicester City - everyone's favourite "second team" last year, are really making heavy weather of - one can't even say 'defending the title' - because they are not remotely serious about defending it - but, we can argue that they are making heavy weather of securing their place in the Premiership.
From first to last? Not far from. Still they have Champions League to look forward to this week :eek:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
From first to last? Not far from. Still they have Champions League to look forward to this week :eek:

Well, I do recall that a little over two years ago - at that time under Nigel Pearson - they managed an extraordinary escape, having been considered almost a certainty for relegation given that they had been placed bottom at Christmas.

Perhaps they may yet recall that this escape is in their DNA.......

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, I do recall that a little over two years ago - at that time under Nigel Pearson - they managed an extraordinary escape, having been considered almost a certainty for relegation given that they had been placed bottom at Christmas.

Perhaps they may yet recall that this escape is in their DNA.......
Given the points at the bottom of the table I suspect we will have to wait until the last day of the season to find out.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Given the points at the bottom of the table I suspect we will have to wait until the last day of the season to find out.

Well, in 2015 Leicester finished 14th having been bottom at Christmas.

And - while some of them may have played above themselves last season - and are still playing well in the Champions League - and yes, we know that N'Golo Kanté is missed, (and his prowess has also played a key part of Chelsea's success this year), but, to be quite candid, I think that some of them could do a lot better, - they are sleep-walking - and they are letting Claudio Ranieri, who is an exceptionally decent man, - and themselves - down very badly.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
So Chelsea finally drop points, though it hardly made a difference. This title race is long over unless we are about to see the biggest choke int he history of the Premier League.

Liverpool with a fine win against Spurs but it's not very reassuring - Klopp's men are excellent against top opponents who play a high line or possess the ball well - but there is still little evidence that Liverpool know how to break down teams who play negatively - from Hull to Man Utd, parking the bus ALWAYS works against Liverpool.

With that being said, a top four finish is still very possible and I remain 100% behind Klopp.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
RV2AN93.png

2mqLBNU.png

[doublepost=1487123034][/doublepost]

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
PSG currently shredding Barca. Don't think i've ever seen Barca be made to look so ordinary since the Bayern mauling.
Didn't have a chance to watch that one, but if there is a team that can come back from that it's Barcelona at Camp Nou.

Did catch some of the Bayern assault on Arsenal today though. Gunners were completely outplayed and I don't give them much hope of getting out of it in the second leg. The pen was a bogus call IMO so they didn't even deserve the road goal.

B

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Didn't have a chance to watch that one, but if there is a team that can come back from that it's Barcelona at Camp Nou.

Did catch some of the Bayern assault on Arsenal today though. Gunners were completely outplayed and I don't give them much hope of getting out of it in the second leg. The pen was a bogus call IMO so they didn't even deserve the road goal.

B

Well, Barcelona have a bit of a mountain to climb to pull that off. It is not often that one sees them taken apart so comprehensively by anyone.

As for Arsenal, they were outclassed, outplayed, and - basically - thrashed. Annihilated, actually. No comeback from that.

Reactions: JamesMike

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
100% players have let him down again and again. But his blind faith is also 100% his fault. He seems to have had enough, going by yesternight's body language.

There might be a mass exodus in the summer at the Emirates.

Jimmyss

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
I am not sure that I am allowed to discuss about Champions league or not.
Being a big fan of Real Madrid, I happy to Barcelona loosing against PSG.
I think Real Madrid will be the winner.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I am not sure that I am allowed to discuss about Champions league or not.
Being a big fan of Real Madrid, I happy to Barcelona loosing against PSG.
I think Real Madrid will be the winner.
Champions League discussion is allowed.
Why wouldn't it be (unless you are an Arsenal fan!).

I think Man U have recognised their best path to the Champions League is by winning the EUROPA league.
Spurs though still have much to do.
[doublepost=1487312854][/doublepost]
My Arsenal friends a not happy after yesterday disappointment.
I'm sure you're pleased with last nights hat trick from the old man.

Jimmyss

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
Why wouldn't it be (unless you are an Arsenal fan!).

I think Man U have recognized their best path to the Champions League is by winning the EUROPA league.

I feel sorry for Arsenal fan. I think in next match Arsenal will comeback by wining 2-1. Aggregate 6-3.
I agree with you that wining EUROPA League is the best chance for ManU. They will not be able to finish the league at 4th position.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I am an Arsenal fan, and - while I have no issue whatsoever with discussions of the Champions League - I do tire of these shrill and vapid headlines screaming for the head of a - or the - manager.

It is as though the virtues of stability, experience and some degree of vision are easily discarded in favour of the visceral thrill of novelty. Even venerable old clubs that have changed managers abruptly in recent years have sometimes taken a few years to recover their identity and appetite.

Arsenal have never finished outside of the top four during the years Mr Wenger has managed them, and the jittery from of those clubs that change managers like shoes ought to be its own lesson.

More to the point, it would be really nice if some of those overpaid, pampered, self-indulgent and irresponsible players actually delivered on their promise.

100% players have let him down again and again. But his blind faith is also 100% his fault. He seems to have had enough, going by yesternight's body language.

There might be a mass exodus in the summer at the Emirates.

Not if they finish again in the top four.

Agreed, that Mr Wenger is not completely without fault, - his faith is touching but should eternal - but firstly, he is the best manager Arsenal have ever had, and secondly, those players really surrendered without a whimper in a shocking and spineless display.

I don't mind defeats, or being outplayed, but I do resent and get annoyed at a team that won't even give battle, if only out of professional (and personal) pride.

Reactions: JamesMike
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.