Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
Doubt top four would be enough...even for Wenger. Its certainly no longer enough for fans. If they win the FA cup again it might mitigate the situation, but from what i saw two days ago the man looked significantly deflated. And the Sanchez/Ozil situation is another salt to wound.

The players let him down massively...school boy errors and weak mentality everywhere...and these are supposedly experienced or even veteran players.

The fact that he even said today in his presser that he would be managing next season with or without Arsenal is foreshadowing. It sounds like he saying "i love football but I'm done with Arsenal after this season...come get me" And saying he would decide in March or April is classic stalling. He knows if he makes a statement now it would be detrimental and distracting (a la Pellegrini and City last season)

I think the goal now is to get top four and maybe win the FA Cup (bonus) and then its curtains.

To my eyes, Sanchez and Wenger will not be at the Emirates next season and Arsenal will be reeling...if only temporarily.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Doubt top four would be enough...even for Wenger. Its certainly no longer enough for fans. If they win the FA cup again it might mitigate the situation, but from what i saw two days ago the man looked significantly deflated. And the Sanchez/Ozil situation is another salt to wound.

The players let him down massively...school boy errors and weak mentality everywhere...and these are supposedly experienced or even veteran players.

The fact that he even said today in his presser that he would be managing next season with or without Arsenal is foreshadowing. It sounds like he saying "i love football but I'm done with Arsenal after this season...come get me" And saying he would decide in March or April is classic stalling. He knows if he makes a statement now it would be detrimental and distracting (a la Pellegrini and City last season)

I think the goal now is to get top four and maybe win the FA Cup (bonus) and then its curtains.

To my eyes, Sanchez and Wenger will not be at the Emirates next season and Arsenal will be reeling...if only temporarily.

Well, in that case, it would seem that not only the players, but the fans, seem to have a bottomless sense of entitlement.

While Arsenal haven't actually won any trophies in the past few years, the fact that they have been consistently placed in the top four over the past twenty years is no mean feat, and one not matched by other teams.

Not impressed by the players.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, in that case, it would seem that not only the players, but the fans, seem to have a bottomless sense of entitlement.

While Arsenal haven't actually won any trophies in the past few years, the fact that they have been consistently placed in the top four over the past twenty years is no mean feat, and one not matched by other teams.

Not impressed by the players.
I think most chairmen would take AW record and be impressed. However most fans would have liked to have seen a bit more silverware in those years.
Truth be told if he hadn't played against Alex Fergerson's Manchester United for many of those years and seen the club fund a new stadium, he may well have won more.
Of course these days he has the millionaire owners of Man City and Chelsea to contend with.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Staying in the top 4 (=CL) and making the owners a lot of money whithout totally selling out is astonishing. He already found his place in football history - there is no doubt about that. But on the other hand, he can't be manager forever - and I do think Arsenal is on the decline so it may be a wise decision to finally step down (he's not going to be fired). I can understand that he likely wants to retire with a title and not just because but it seems like they need some fresh and hungry eyes at the sideline (and quality players on the field, they don't have enough of that) - I could see Thomas Tuchel doing a good job there but I hope he will/can continue in Dortmund.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Speaking of which, if you're a fan of Mexican association football (Liga MX), at 1900 hours PST today is another chapter in the famous derby between FC Guadalajara (Chivas) and Club America.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
vOpCv3S.png

These guys are the darlings of the FA Cup this season...

Hidden in the upper reaches of Lincoln Cathedral you'll find a symbol of the city surrounded by myth and legend: the Lincoln Imp.

Legend has it that one day the Devil was in a frolicsome mood, and let out all his young demons to play.

After having allegedly stopping at Chesterfield, twisting the spire of St Mary and All Saints Church, a group of imps went to Lincoln and planned to wreak havoc in the city's stunning Cathedral.

Mischievous activities in Lincoln included knocking over the Dean, smashing the stained glass windows and destroying the lights. To put a stop to any further chaos, an angel appeared from the Bible left on the altar and commanded “Wicked Imp, be turned to stone!”

Some imps managed to escape but one imp remained, hurling insults and stones at the angel. The angel responded in kind, turning the imp to stone where it sat and it can still be seen there today! It is said that the angel caught up with one of the escapees at St James' Church, Grimsby, turning that imp to stone also.

Head to Lincoln Cathedral and see the petrified Lincoln Imp high up for yourself - there's a spolight to help you if you give in!

You’ll also find imps across the city too: on door knockers, in gift shops and even in the nickname of the local football team - the Red Imps.

also:
IqBDQ3y.png

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
vOpCv3S.png

These guys are the darlings of the FA Cup this season...

Hidden in the upper reaches of Lincoln Cathedral you'll find a symbol of the city surrounded by myth and legend: the Lincoln Imp.

Legend has it that one day the Devil was in a frolicsome mood, and let out all his young demons to play.

After having allegedly stopping at Chesterfield, twisting the spire of St Mary and All Saints Church, a group of imps went to Lincoln and planned to wreak havoc in the city's stunning Cathedral.

Mischievous activities in Lincoln included knocking over the Dean, smashing the stained glass windows and destroying the lights. To put a stop to any further chaos, an angel appeared from the Bible left on the altar and commanded “Wicked Imp, be turned to stone!”

Some imps managed to escape but one imp remained, hurling insults and stones at the angel. The angel responded in kind, turning the imp to stone where it sat and it can still be seen there today! It is said that the angel caught up with one of the escapees at St James' Church, Grimsby, turning that imp to stone also.

Head to Lincoln Cathedral and see the petrified Lincoln Imp high up for yourself - there's a spolight to help you if you give in!

You’ll also find imps across the city too: on door knockers, in gift shops and even in the nickname of the local football team - the Red Imps.

also:
IqBDQ3y.png

Great post, and I hadn't known that fascinating historical footnote - thanks for sharing; very interesting and most enjoyable to read.

I hope that they continue to do well.

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sadly Sutton weren't able to follow Lincoln to the Quarter finals of the FA cup. Shame as a non league side in the semis would (nearly) have eclipsed last years story of Leicester city winning the Premier league.
But it was never really going to happen when they came up against Arsenal.
At least Lincoln get a good pay day at the Emirates.
And of course you never know!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
News has just broken that Leicester City have sacked Claudio Ranieri, a genuinely decent, dignified and warm man, - and an excellent manager - without whom they would never have won the Premiership last year, as he gave them belief, confidence and direction - and enabled - and steered them to fulfil what must have seemed an impossible dream.

This is disgraceful, a graceless, ungenerous gesture, really shabby stuff, and a really poor reward for what Claudio Ranieri achieved with this club.

To my mind, the club should have kept faith with Mr Ranieri - at least - until this coming summer.

While, what has changed this year is that while they clearly miss N'Golo Kante, - whose presence has strongly strengthened Chelsea's challenge for the title, and who equally clearly played a key role in securing Leicester's success last season - the team cannot be so poor as to completely collapse in the absence of Kante having won the title last year (as indeed, their performances in the Champions League suggest that this is not the case).

In truth, the players haven't performed or delivered anywhere near their promise of potential, and have let Mr Ranieri down very badly. Apart from Kasper Schmeichel, who has been enraged at the lackadaisical attitude of some of his teammates - there has been a surprising lack of urgency this season from Leicester.

Yes, teams have learned how to play them. and yes, most of the top teams have new managers and a renewed vigour and focus; but, Leicester won the title last year - and won it well - and, this season, the players haven't delivered - at all.

Serves them right if they relegate after this.

As Gary Lineker (a life long Leicester City supporter, a classy player and an absolute gentleman - and remember, he also played for the club) wrote on Twitter tonight:

"After all that Claudio Ranieri has done for Leicester City, to sack him now is inexplicable, unforgivable, and gut-wrenchingly sad".

Couldn't agree more.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
News has just broken that Leicester City have sacked Claudio Ranieri, a genuinely decent, dignified and warm man, without whom they would never have won the Premiership last year, as he gave them belief, and direction and enabled them to fulfil what must have seemed an impossible dream.

This is disgraceful, a graceless, ungenerous gesture, really shabby stuff, and a poor reward for what Claudio Ranieri achieved with this club.

To my mind, the club should have kept faith with Mr Ranieri until this coming summer.

What has changed this year is that while they clearly miss N'Golo Kante, - whose presence has strongly strengthened Chelsea's challenge for the title, and who equally clearly made played a key role inn securing Leicester's success last season - the team cannot be so poor as to completely collapse in the absence of Kante having won the entitle last years (as indeed, their performances in the Champions League suggests is not the case).

In truth, the players haven't performed or delivered on their promise of potential, and have let Mr Ranieri down very badly. Apart from Kasper Schmeichel, who has been enraged at the attitude of some of his colleagues, - or teammates - there has been a surprising lack of urgency this season from Leicester.

Yes, teams have learned how to play them. and yes, most of the top teams have new managers and a renewed vigour and focus; but, Leicester won the title last year - and won it well - at the end of the day, the players haven't delivered - at all.

Serves them right if they relegate after this.

As Gary Lineker (a life long Leicester City supporter, a classy player and an absolute gentleman - and remember, he also played for the club) wrote on Twitter tonight:

"After all that Claudio Ranieri has done for Leicester City, to sack him now is inexplicable, unforgivable, and gut-wrenchingly sad".

Couldn't agree more.
What absolute madness! I can't possibly think of a more stupid reaction from a board.
He has delivered them their best ever result, got them to the back end of the Champions league.
I'm sure he would have kept them up.

They should be making a statue of the guy and naming their stadium after him not sacking him!

Bonkers.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What absolute madness! I can't possibly think of a more stupid reaction from a board.
He has delivered them their best ever result, got them to the back end of the Champions league.
I'm sure he would have kept them up.

They should be making a statue of the guy and naming their stadium after him not sacking him!

Bonkers.

It is not just a "bonkers' decision, it is a grossly unfair and unjust one, and poor payment for what Mr Ranieri - a decent and honourable man - managed with that team last year.

Disgraceful and unforgivable.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
From a business standpoint...it makes sense. Even if its woefully late.

Which would LCFC rather have? a slim chance of a place in next season's EPL or Ranieri as manager and get relegated.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
From a business standpoint...it makes sense. Even if its woefully late.

Which would LCFC rather have? a slim chance of a place in next season's EPL or Ranieri as manager and get relegated.

No, it doesn't. And it is not late - rather, I would argue that it is too early. Old fashioned virtues such as decency, loyalty, dignity seem to be in short supply, and one of the reasons that Leicester won so much support last season is because they seemed to represent a different - and more wholesome - set of values.

In any case, if they played to their potential, or promise, there is no reason for them to be relegated under Claudio Ranieri. The team hasn't suddenly become useless - just, unmoored by the unlikeliest of successes.

If we are discussing "business", well, I would argue that Leicester City will have lost an awful lot of goodwill from the neutrals.

Besides, the players really need to bestir themselves - they haven't scored (much the same team as won the Premiership last season, minus the influential N'Golo Kante) a goal in a League match this year yet. That is scandalous.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
No, it doesn't. And it is not late - rather, I would argue that it is too early. Old fashioned virtues such as decency, loyalty, dignity seem to be in short supply, and one of the reasons that Leicester won so much support last season is because they seemed to represent a different - and more wholesome - set of values.

In any case, if they played to their potential, or promise, there is no reason for them to be relegated under Claudio Ranieri. The team hasn't suddenly become useless - just, unmoored by the unlikeliest of successes.

If we are discussing "business", well, I would argue that Leicester City will have lost an awful lot of goodwill from the neutrals.

Besides, the players really need to bestir themselves - they haven't scored (much the same team as won the Premiership last season, minus the influential N'Golo Kante) a goal in a League match this year yet. That is scandalous.

Like you said, old fashion. Very few of those sentiments exist in the modern game.

Ranieri was not getting a performance from the players. Yes its the players fault and Ranieri isn't suddenly a bad manager. But its easier to sack 1 person than an entire starting 11.

LCFC at the end of they day is a football club and like all EPL clubs its all about the money first, sentiments later.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Like you said, old fashion. Very few of those sentiments exist in the modern game.

Ranieri was not getting a performance from the players. Yes its the players fault and Ranieri isn't suddenly a bad manager. But its easier to sack 1 person than an entire starting 11.

LCFC at the end of they day is a football club and like all EPL clubs its all about the money first, sentiments later.

I would argue that the players got carried away by the mad delirious joy of this unexpected and improbable title win, and arrogance and entitlement have replaced graft and effort.

In any case, I beg to differ; there is a place for some of the so-called "old fashioned" virtues in football - and Claudio Ranieri, by his essential decency and dignity - actually expressed these virtues and values - in the way he cheerfully managed Leicester last year, showing respect and encouragement to the city, the club, and the players. That was a large part of why - and how - Leicester won the Premiership.

A pity it has not been reciprocated - by the club and players.

I suspect that in the city Claudio Ranieri will long remain a hero, and rightly so. This is shameful.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hopefully he will get picked up by another team.

Oh, I have no doubt of that, - as a human being, he is a great guy, and as a manager - winning the Premiership with Leicester last season told its own story - he is excellent, as well as decent and dignified and generous - but it is still very poor form, and most unfair - and, frankly, unforgivable.

For those whose memory goes back far enough, he was treated very shabbily by Chelsea, too.

Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Oh, I have no doubt of that, - as a human being, he is a great guy, and as a manager - winning the Premiership with Leicester last season told its own story - he is excellent, as well as decent and dignified and generous - but it is still very poor form, and most unfair - and, frankly, unforgivable.

For those whose memory goes back far enough, he was treated very shabbily by Chelsea, too.

It will not happen, but I would not mind him coming to my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.