Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I know it's only halftime, but Crystal Palace 0-4 Sunderland is a real 6 pointer. Doesn't look good for Palace.
We are 2-1 up against Southampton. Hope it stays that way!

Meanwhile Arsenal couldn't do anything to dent the machine that is Chelsea as they march toward the title.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I know it's only halftime, but Crystal Palace 0-4 Sunderland is a real 6 pointer. Doesn't look good for Palace.
We are 2-1 up against Southampton. Hope it stays that way!

Meanwhile Arsenal couldn't do anything to dent the machine that is Chelsea as they march toward the title.

Well, wasn't expecting (but did entertain some slight, perhaps forlorn hope) much from Chelsea.

However, that result against Watford earlier in the week - and all credit to Watford - did sting.

Sunderland 4-0 up? Extraordinary.

Watford and Hull both ahead, too. Hm.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well I was wrong. It didn't stay that way. We scored another!

Up to 9th. So tight at the bottom though. 2 points separate the bottom 5.

Two points separate the bottom six. Very tight.

And yes, Chelsea are cantering nicely, while the others are all stuttering intermittently.

Of the five teams immediately below Chelsea, only one - Manchester City - had won their pervious game.

Indeed, the record is quite underwhelming for the five teams chasing Chelsea (actually, being left further behind by Chelsea as they vainly pursue the leaders) when viewed over their previous five games.

Spurs drew their last two games, while Arsenal have lost theirs. Prior to that, they had both won.

Liverpool haven't had a win in five games (two defeats and three matches drawn). Meanwhile, - alone among the five pursuing Chelsea from ever further away - while Manchester City did win their most recent game - they had lost two of the previous four, and drawn one. And then, there is Manchester United, who have drawn their last three matches.

At this stage, it is beginning to look as though it is Chelsea's to lose.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Two points separate the bottom six. Very tight.

And yes, Chelsea are cantering nicely, while the others are all stuttering intermittently.

Of the five teams immediately below Chelsea, only one - Manchester City - had won their pervious game.

Indeed, the record is quite underwhelming for the five teams chasing Chelsea (actually, being left further behind by Chelsea as they vainly pursue the leaders) when viewed over their previous five games.

Spurs drew their last two games, while Arsenal have lost theirs. Prior to that, they had both won.

Liverpool haven't had a win in five games (two defeats and three matches drawn). Meanwhile, - alone among the five pursuing Chelsea from ever further away - while Manchester City did win their most recent game - they had lost two of the previous four, and drawn one. And then, there is Manchester United, who have drawn their last three matches.

At this stage, it is beginning to look as though it is Chelsea's to lose.
Sadly yes.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
This season just shows how much player motivation and managerial skills are paramount.

Chelsea that couldn't finish in the top 6 last season are walking the league this season

Leicester who won the league are now fighting relegation

Speaking of Managers, Wenger has to realise that his time is up, he can no longer offer Arsenal anything new. They have one of the best squads in the league but are constantly made to look woefully ordinary.

The league campaign is over, its all about the relegation fight and who drops out of the top 4 now

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Chelsea is threatening to turn into the Premier League equivalent of the Golden State Warriors. It's going to take a minor miracle of sorts for the other contenders to be in contention by April 2017. :rolleyes:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This season just shows how much player motivation and managerial skills are paramount.

Chelsea that couldn't finish in the top 6 last season are walking the league this season

Leicester who won the league are now fighting relegation

Speaking of Managers, Wenger has to realise that his time is up, he can no longer offer Arsenal anything new. They have one of the best squads in the league but are constantly made to look woefully ordinary.

The league campaign is over, its all about the relegation fight and who drops out of the top 4 now

Now: The common factor - or, rather, an interesting common factor - in Leicester's performance last year, and Chelsea's this year - is N'Golo Kanté.

As you have mentioned Mr Wenger (by far the most successful manager in Arsenal's history - they haven't finished outside of the top four in twenty years), I read this week that he had tried (unsuccessfully) to sign N'Golo Kanté last summer.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not sure that this was entirely Mr Wenger's fault. He may have had to operate under financial constraints.
Very true. Now I wonder what the financial gain of finishing 1st over 2nd is though?

AW has done a very good job of balancing the books over the years. I doubt whoever takes over will do as well in that regard. Heck I wonder how much they have saved in all those years in managers severance pay alone compared to Chelsea.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Very true. Now I wonder what the financial gain of finishing 1st over 2nd is though?

AW has done a very good job of balancing the books over the years. I doubt whoever takes over will do as well in that regard. Heck I wonder how much they have saved in all those years in managers severance pay alone compared to Chelsea.

Mr Wenger is known to have deeply lamented Arsenal's departure from Highbury - he loved the old stadium, but, the numbers it could hold were limited, and in turn, that curtailed finances and put distinct boundaries on ambition.

On the budgets he has had, to have finished every year for more than the past twenty in the top four is an impressive achievement and one matched by nobody else in the Premiership.

Mind you, I will not deny an occasional - slightly wistful - nostalgic glance down memory lane to recall that glorious year when Arsenal did not lose a single match....

Having said that, I'm a huge fan of Mr Wenger's. He is the best manager Arsenal have ever had, - better been than Herbert Chapman in the 30s (when they were brilliant), and - as is typical - and, as happened with Mr Ferguson - they won't realise just how good he actually is until after he has gone.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Mr Wenger is known to have deeply lamented Arsenal's departure from Highbury - he loved the old stadium, but, the numbers it could hold were limited, and in turn, that curtailed finances and put distinct boundaries on ambition.

On the budgets he has had, to have finished every year for more than the past twenty in the top four is an impressive achievement and one matched by nobody else in the Premiership.

Mind you, I will not deny an occasional - slightly wistful - nostalgic glance down memory lane to recall that glorious year when Arsenal did not lose a single match....

Having said that, I'm a huge fan of Mr Wenger's. He is the best manager Arsenal have ever had, - better been than Herbert Chapman in the 30s (when they were brilliant), and - as is typical - and, as happened with Mr Ferguson - they won't realise just how good he actually is until after he has gone.
Agree. And they play much better football than the George Graham era. Route one is not pretty to watch. Especially if you ever had the misfortune to watch in the back row of the lower tier at Highbury.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Agree. And they play much better football than the George Graham era. Route one is not pretty to watch. Especially if you ever had the misfortune to watch in the back row of the lower tier at Highbury.

No, "Route One" is not especially sophisticated.

Now, today, Manchester City - in the very last minute (the clichéd 92nd...) managed to score a second goal against Swansea who had held them to 1-1 until then.

Swansea were unlucky not to be able to claim the draw, and would have earned a valuable point. However, City are now lying third, thanks to this victory, and Pep Guardiola will be somewhat vindicated.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Even though my Man U team got the win I felt sorry for LC, what a dramatic turn around from last year.
It would be an amazing turn around if LC were to be relegated. It's actually more interesting at the bottom than the top of the league. Of course we are stuck in the middle, but compared to where we were a few weeks ago I'll take that!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Even though my Man U team got the win I felt sorry for LC, what a dramatic turn around from last year.

Indeed, but I have long suspected that the loss N'Golo Kanté - whose tackling rate for both Leicester and Chelsea make - and made - him invaluable - is deeply felt. More so than almost any other player.

That, however, does not detract from the fact that Leicester's other players are not - in any way - playing with passion or conviction; while Kanté was brilliant, the team played as a passionate unit last season. This year, I suspect that the success of last year - which delighted me, as it must have delighted most neutrals - may have gone to their heads a little.

Certainly, neither Vardy nor Riyad have shown evidence of the devastating performances both seemed effortlessly capable of last year.

SevenHeaven

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2017
Ma-Ma
ma_ma_ver2.jpg

[doublepost=1486400869][/doublepost]What do you think about Real this season?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well to describe the ref in our game as poor would be an understatement. Perfectly good goal disallowed. Grrr. Still we are in mid table and aren't going to push on to EUROPA or get sucked in to relegation.

But I thought Arsenal are even more fortunate with there chosen Ref. Goal was clearly handball and how they didn't get a player sent off for a professional foul I'll never know.
But when it's a top club verses a lower club the decisions often go in favour of the top club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.