Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Man Utd were supremely lucky to rescue a draw against an Everton side who showed a lot more skill and determination than they did at Anfield.

Man Utd's 'invincibles' march on, but despite being undefeated since October every draw is a valuable two points lost at this stage of the season. Mou continues to blame the players, refs, media - everyone but himself.

If Arsenal win their game in hand over Man Utd they will be tied on points with a superior goal difference. It's looking like a real dogfight between 3rd-6th.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not long to go then. Really hope we can change our recent run of form. A draw would be okay. A win would be amazing.
Antonio is back so hopefully we won't be so reliant on the big man up front to get a goal.
Come on you Irons!

Reactions: JamesMike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Bournemouth once again proved a frustrating stumbling block for Liverpool. However, with Man Utd drawing and Man city losing Klopp's men maintain a slight advantage.

Arsenal are in real trouble; a top four finish is looking very unlikely now, though they may top Man Utd in the final standings as Mou focuses on the Europa League - a competition he has often said he has no interest in.

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Very disappointed in last nights results. Firstly ours as losing to Arsenal in such a terrible way. Not defending well at all.

Also I'd hoped Man City could have reined in Chelsea a bit just to keep it a little more interesting until May.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Going into this weekend with some dread for Liverpool - Stoke are just the kind of opponents, like Bournemouth, that I fear. The squad is razor thin as well - no Lallana, no Mane, Possibly no Coutinho, no Henderson. "Down to the bare bones", as 'Arry Redknapp used to say.

They are the next Leicester...

If that were true, I'd feel less bad about Liverpool's dreadful record against them this season.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I hate to use the phrase but we almost have a 6 pointer this weekend versus Swansea.
A win for them will potentially get them out of the bottom three. A win for us will put us on 36 points. This year 38-40 may well be enough.

Got everything crossed!

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I hate to use the phrase but we almost have a 6 pointer this weekend versus Swansea.
A win for them will potentially get them out of the bottom three. A win for us will put us on 36 points. This year 38-40 may well be enough.

Got everything crossed!

it's true though.

THE MASSIVE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY also have a "6 pointer". @ home vs NUFC and Ipswich Town play (read: need to beat...) Fulham.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I can breathe a sigh of relief. 3 points to us and Swansea loosing really helped put a bit of daylight between us and the relegation zone.
Plus loosing 6 on the spin would have been terrible.
Hardly an emphatic victory, but at least it's points on the table. Especially when we have played more games than some down there.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Big win for West Ham, indeed. Bilic still has a lot to prove, but they are pretty much safe.

I very much hope Hull can survive this season - they started off without any chance at all, but Marco Silva has managed to do extraordinarily well with very few resources.

A great win for Liverpool - not in terms of the performance, but the result. Stoke are pretty weak right now, but Liverpool started the game with a cobbled together XI and managed to get a win despite having almost all of their stars missing for the first half.

Some have criticized Klopp for starting Coutinho and Firmino from the bench, but the fact is that both players have a lot of games under their belt and Coutinho was sick during the week. He can't afford to have them break down now, and the gamble paid off. If this had been Chelsea the manager would be praised for getting results when they matter and keeping the squad healthy. It's no different for teams a bit further back.

Sturridge may be fit soon, but I don't expect him to make much of an impact before the end of the season (please prove me wrong, Daniel - we need a fit striker). His time has probably passed, and if he can be sold in the summer for a healthy sum I would not be surprised to see him go.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
IvEOtRU.png

skBeoN7.png

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Don't think you were expecting that were you?
Just need to hang in there for a few weeks.
[doublepost=1491681379][/doublepost]
Big win for West Ham, indeed. Bilic still has a lot to prove, but they are pretty much safe.

I very much hope Hull can survive this season - they started off without any chance at all, but Marco Silva has managed to do extraordinarily well with very few resources.

A great win for Liverpool - not in terms of the performance, but the result. Stoke are pretty weak right now, but Liverpool started the game with a cobbled together XI and managed to get a win despite having almost all of their stars missing for the first half.

Some have criticized Klopp for starting Coutinho and Firmino from the bench, but the fact is that both players have a lot of games under their belt and Coutinho was sick during the week. He can't afford to have them break down now, and the gamble paid off. If this had been Chelsea the manager would be praised for getting results when they matter and keeping the squad healthy. It's no different for teams a bit further back.

Sturridge may be fit soon, but I don't expect him to make much of an impact before the end of the season (please prove me wrong, Daniel - we need a fit striker). His time has probably passed, and if he can be sold in the summer for a healthy sum I would not be surprised to see him go.
Billic's contract is up in the summer and it's hard to see a renewal at this stage.

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
I think Liverpool's victory yesterday means that the league season is pretty much over for Man Utd. Top 4 is done for Utd. It's now Arsenal's to win and Liverpool's to lose.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I think Liverpool's victory yesterday means that the league season is pretty much over for Man Utd. Top 4 is done for Utd. It's now Arsenal's to win and Liverpool's to lose.

Man Utd still have the opportunity to win the Europa League and steal a Champions League spot that way. If that happens AND Leicester also win the Champions League, fourth place in the league gets downgraded to a highly undesirable Europa League place.

If Arsenal take fourth spot it'll be a heroic effort, but the odd are against them. Guardiola is going to be under immense pressure to finish in the Champions League spots.

Liverpool are in a very dangerous position. Their match schedule is not that difficult on paper - but its against teams Liverpool struggle against, and the squad is very thin.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Man Utd still have the opportunity to win the Europa League and steal a Champions League spot that way. If that happens AND Leicester also win the Champions League, fourth place in the league gets downgraded to a highly undesirable Europa League place.

If Arsenal take fourth spot it'll be a heroic effort, but the odd are against them. Guardiola is going to be under immense pressure to finish in the Champions League spots.

Liverpool are in a very dangerous position. Their match schedule is not that difficult on paper - but its against teams Liverpool struggle against, and the squad is very thin.
Lol. Leicester win the CL!
Would be funny if Man United grab the Europa league and denied fourth spot. I can see that happening.

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
True, the only way I think for United to get CL football next season would be by winning the Europa. If United do win Europa, would the 4th place team be out of CL or would there be total of 5 english teams in the CL? I never seem to be able to remember the rules around this one.

I think the top 2 would be Chelsea, Spurs with Liverpool (decent run of fixtures on paper), Arsenal (masters of the 4th place trophy run-in) and City (Pep might just be able to get them over the line) to battle out for positions 3, 4 and 5.

However, the odds of United winning Europa AND Leicester winning CL have to be pretty low.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
True, the only way I think for United to get CL football next season would be by winning the Europa. If United do win Europa, would the 4th place team be out of CL or would there be total of 5 english teams in the CL? I never seem to be able to remember the rules around this one.

I think the top 2 would be Chelsea, Spurs with Liverpool (decent run of fixtures on paper), Arsenal (masters of the 4th place trophy run-in) and City (Pep might just be able to get them over the line) to battle out for positions 3, 4 and 5.

However, the odds of United winning Europa AND Leicester winning CL have to be pretty low.
I never remember either, but I thought it was limited to 4 per country regardless?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Got everything crossed!

Yes, I was following that "six-pointer".

West Ham did well to win, not least because the losing habit looked in danger of becoming entrenched.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
If remember correctly, a country can have a maximum of 5 teams in the champions league. The Europa League winner is guaranteed a CL spot, so if Leicester win the CL and Man Utd win the Europa League, England will still only get five CL spots: Leicester, Man Utd and the top three league finishers.

It probably won't happen, of course.

Reactions: balamw

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well we have Sunderland next, so I'm hopefull we can get into the winning habit.

Ah, yes.

Sunderland.

Well, given that Sunderland couldn't punch their way out of a paper bag at the moment, - their lovely young (and genuinely modest) - motivated, passionate, - and gifted goalkeeper notwithstanding, I'd be of the opinion that West Ham should be able to bag a least a point from that encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.