Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hard to love? Don't know what you mean!

"Fortune's always hiding, I've looked everywhere, I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air!"

Hard to love, @Apple fanboy, hard to love, and well you know it.

Elsewhere, Spurs - in their last match at White Hart Lane (they were not ever going to lose this one) comfortably beat Manchester United, 2-1.

Reactions: JamesMike

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Big, big win for Liverpool, with Sturridge reminding people how good he can be. A top for finish is still not guaranteed, however. Arsenal are having their usual late-season surge (albeit later than usual), and Klopp will probably need to collect another win to finish fourth. Third would be even better, but I'd be shocked if Man City dropped points against either West Brom or Watford.

Mourinho is showing a risible lack of ambition. Why is it unreasonable for Man Utd to try and claim both a top four finish and win the Europa League? The Mourinho of August 2016 certainly thought that was possible. But the May 2017 Mourinho sounds more like Harry Redknapp - attempting to convince people that his expensive, deep squad is actually threadbare while teams with less money and plenty of injuries finish above him in the table.

I don't buy the argument that he can't compete on two fronts, because the club he is managing has just spent the better part of three decades doing just that - without breaking the world transfer record ever season.

Shame Hull went down, but given the way the club is run at the moment it is not terribly surprising. Silva papered over a lot of cracks with his astute management. Big Sam crows over another rescue job, but I doubt offers for managing champions league clubs are going to start flying in.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Big, big win for Liverpool, with Sturridge reminding people how good he can be. A top for finish is still not guaranteed, however. Arsenal are having their usual late-season surge (albeit later than usual), and Klopp will probably need to collect another win to finish fourth. Third would be even better, but I'd be shocked if Man City dropped points against either West Brom or Watford.

Mourinho is showing a risible lack of ambition. Why is it unreasonable for Man Utd to try and claim both a top four finish and win the Europa League? The Mourinho of August 2016 certainly thought that was possible. But the May 2017 Mourinho sounds more like Harry Redknapp - attempting to convince people that his expensive, deep squad is actually threadbare while teams with less money and plenty of injuries finish above him in the table.

I don't buy the argument that he can't compete on two fronts, because the club he is managing has just spent the better part of three decades doing just that - without breaking the world transfer record ever season.

Shame Hull went down, but given the way the club is run at the moment it is not terribly surprising. Silva papered over a lot of cracks with his astute management. Big Sam crows over another rescue job, but I doubt offers for managing champions league clubs are going to start flying in.

Yes, agree about Hull, it is something of a shame. Mr Silva did extremely well in very trying and challenging conditions - and gave Hull a half chance of surviving the drop; in truth, their shocking and almost inexplicable defeat to Sunderland did for them - until then, I had thought they had more than a half chance of survival.

After that, it was no longer in their hands, and this is a bad time of year to develop a losing habit, especially when you are hovering that close to the relegation zone.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
A strong candidate for miss of the season. All he had to do was tap it, but he dragged it onto the post.

Probably not worse than Crispy's miss against Sheffield United years ago (it was actually the second of two sitters he missed that day). Nor s bad as Kei Kamara's miss against the Galaxy in 2010.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Seeing that video of Ayew's miss reminds me go how much I hate Liverpool's third kit. It makes them look like Chelsea. Ugh.
I don't think that's what caused him to miss! Obviously 20 million doesn't get you what it used to.

Good luck to Arsenal tonight @Scepticalscribe .
Need them to win to keep some interest in the final week of the Premier League.
Will you be watching with your brother? Grudge match? Side bet?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't think that's what caused him to miss! Obviously 20 million doesn't get you what it used to.

Good luck to Arsenal tonight @Scepticalscribe .
Need them to win to keep some interest in the final week of the Premier League.
Will you be watching with your brother? Grudge match? Side bet?

Thank you kindly.

No, Brother is back at work, - we watch MOTD together whenever I stay with him, or whenever he comes home to visit Mother at week-ends.

Anyway, I shall be out, as I suspect that I shall be heading off out to a wine lecture/tasting/ on Burgundy wines, so I expect that I shall miss the match.

But, Arsenal know what they have to do; they must keep winning, just to position themselves in the rear view mirror of both Liverpool and Manchester City, whom they must hope will stumble before the season comes to an end; anything else, and a top-four place is history - leaving them they to focus on the FA Cup.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
But, Arsenal know what they have to do; they must keep winning, just to position themselves in the rear view mirror of both Liverpool and Manchester City, whom they must hope will stumble before the season comes to an end; anything else, and a top-four place is history - leaving them they to focus on the FA Cup.

With all due respect, I'm hoping for a draw. A Man City loss would be nice too...this speaks volumes about my level of confidence that Liverpool will smash Middlesbrough on the final day. Even though they should.

Arsenal are always strong at the end of the season, so I fully expect them to win their final games and maintain pressure on Man City and Liverpool.

EDIT: Rather a poor crowd at the Emirates - slightly surprising given that this is not a meaningless match...

EDIT2: One hope dashed for me already, as Man City tear through a West Brom team who are clearly not bothered. 2-0 so far.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
With all due respect, I'm hoping for a draw. A Man City loss would be nice too...this speaks volumes about my level of confidence that Liverpool will smash Middlesbrough on the final day. Even though they should.

Arsenal are always strong at the end of the season, so I fully expect them to win their final games and maintain pressure on Man City and Liverpool.

EDIT: Rather a poor crowd at the Emirates - slightly surprising given that this is not a meaningless match...

EDIT2: One hope dashed for me already, as Man City tear through a West Brom team who are clearly not bothered. 2-0 so far.

Watching the Arsenal/Sunderland match.

Arsenal got the win with two good goals by Sanchez.

Was out at a most enjoyable wine tasting/class/lecture (on Burgundy wines) and thus, missed everything.

But delighted to see Arsenal keep their composure and their pride by fighting and winning.

@Lord Blackadder - I understand (and sympathise) with your position.

Mind you, - given that this year's - and last year's - Premiership champions did not have the distractions of Champions' League football, perhaps not finishing in the top four might serve to supply the necessary spur for Arsenal (or anyone else) to actually take the Premiership very seriously indeed.

Having said that, pride would suffer if Arsenal failed to claim a top four spot for the first time in twenty odd years.

And yes, while I do revere Mr Wenger (and hugely respect his impressive pedigree and his integrity - features which matter to him) I would love to be able to whisper in his ear that genuinely accepting advice re strengthening defence and midfield is not a sign of weakness.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Man Utd concede a penalty but Romero saves. Mou has put out a B team again, which should be more than enough to not lose to Southampton.

Mourinho has made it clear, on the record, that he has no respect for or interest in the Europa League. Yet, with plenty of games left to salvage a top four place, he has put out second-string squads in the league and wasted any chance of finishing fourth.

Apparently, therefore, he doesn't care about the Premier League OR the Europa League...so what DOES he care about?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Man Utd concede a penalty but Romero saves. Mou has put out a B team again, which should be more than enough to not lose to Southampton.

Mourinho has made it clear, on the record, that he has no respect for or interest in the Europa League. Yet, with plenty of games left to salvage a top four place, he has put out second-string squads in the league and wasted any chance of finishing fourth.

Apparently, therefore, he doesn't care about the Premier League OR the Europa League...so what DOES he care about?

He cares about the individual he used to refer to as "The Special One".

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

His salary.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The fundamental trait that Mourinho brings to management is an absolute terror of losing. I think his approach to this season exemplifies that. He's turned the most expensive team in history into Stoke/West Brom on steroids.

EDIT: ...and so it proves here...yet another dull 0-0.

Last edited:

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
Falcao and Monaco win the Ligue 1 championship, move over PSG. Proof that it wasnt the EPL, it was van gaal's fault. wheres van gaal now? even his replacement Depay is lost...enough said.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
In a rare case of the FA doing the right thing, next season will see the introduction of retrospective bans for diving.

I think in a lot of ways this was inevitable, but the FA are skilled at sticking their head in the sand in the face of overwhelming evidence. The only way to cut down on diving is to punish players for it, and the only practical way to do that is through retrospective bans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Spurs obliterate Leicester, who didn't play terribly but were blown away. Funny how confident and energetic Spurs looked in what was a completely meaningless game for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.